Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts of a Mule Fanatic

Default Re: Thoughts of a Mule Fanatic

I'm probably just reading between the lines here, perhaps from your hints in this thread and others, that you may not be a fan of Coach K.

2. Default Re: Thoughts of a Mule Fanatic

You got that right. He is not up to standards as UCM has prided itself on basketball both men's and women's . He is just an average coach and not Up to previous coaches standards such as Lynn Nance, Jim Wooldridge, Bob Sunvold, and Coach A.

3. Default Re: Thoughts of a Mule Fanatic

Your women's coach is entertaining to watch. His reactions to officials calls and non-calls are a hoot to watch.

4. Default Re: Thoughts of a Mule Fanatic

So the road record is 21-19. He lost the home opening game this year. This was the first time that the Mules have lost a home opening game in over 30 years. Attendance is down and the Multi is no longer an almost certain Mules victory as it was for the prior 10 years before his arrival. So if an average coach is what you want he fits the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mule4ever View Post
    So the road record is 21-19. He lost the home opening game this year. This was the first time that the Mules have lost a home opening game in over 30 years. Attendance is down and the Multi is no longer an almost certain Mules victory as it was for the prior 10 years before his arrival. So if an average coach is what you want he fits the bill.
    Coach Anderson lost his job at Mizzou because he under achieved and people quit going to the games.....the same has happened with Coach K at UCM and the result should be the same.

6. Default Re: Thoughts of a Mule Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
    Coach Anderson lost his job at Mizzou because he under achieved and people quit going to the games.....the same has happened with Coach K at UCM and the result should be the same.
    The only issue is what if the team makes the regional this would make it a tough task to end his time in the burg. The future is not bright with him

This is starting to feel like a Southern Indiana basketball thread.

8. Default Re: Thoughts of a Mule Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Mule4ever View Post
    The only issue is what if the team makes the regional this would make it a tough task to end his time in the burg. The future is not bright with him
    Maybe MOSO can give UCM a loss at the Multi in a couple of weeks and darken his future some more. Will be a tall task though with our inconsistencies against what should be a very motivated UCM team.

9. Default Re: Thoughts of a Mule Fanatic

As I've mentioned previously any team left will not be a gimme game for the Mules. Anything less than postseason will be a disappointment but this team isn't built for a deep run anyway and unless major recruits come aboard next year is not promising.

Should be the same result, but unfortunately it won't. Coach K is the coach that AD Jerry Hughes hand picked from a large group of qualified applicants and Jerry's not going to admit he screwed up until it gets a whole lot uglier than this. If things stay the same and the Mules basketball team produces even middle of the pack results, then I think it will be good enough for Jerry. It was said before, when was the last time Jerry Hughes fired a head coach. Hell, the wrestling team is beyond awful and that coach is still here. I know you can't compare Mules basketball and wrestling when it comes to tradition and importance, but it's telling that Jerry allows the wrestling program to flounder year after year. I predict that before Coach K goes, that Jerry will have to go first.....probably when Jerry retires about age 80.
    Last edited by Mulas; 02-13-2018 at 09:12 PM.

Am I high right now? UCM fans do realize they have a team that will likely be ranked in the Top 8, possibly even Top 4 in the Regional Rankings when those are released? There are teams that haven't been Top 4 in the Regional Rankings in their entire histories. I know the Mules have a National Championship history and expectations are higher, but as my good friend Mugatu would say, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Am I high right now? UCM fans do realize they have a team that will likely be ranked in the Top 8, possibly even Top 4 in the Regional Rankings when those are released? There are teams that haven't been Top 4 in the Regional Rankings in their entire histories. I know the Mules have a National Championship history and expectations are higher, but as my good friend Mugatu would say, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
    Hey hey hey, just sit back and let them go. This is good entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by NWHoops View Post
    Hey hey hey, just sit back and let them go. This is good entertainment.
    Ya, Mules fans have pretty well beat this subject into the ground. Reminds me of Bearcat fans when the football team gets a little off the rails.

So, how's Justin Pitts big toe?
    Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 02-13-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Ya, Mules fans have pretty well beat this subject into the ground. Reminds me of Bearcat fans when the football team gets a little off the rails.

So, how's Justin Pitts big toe?
    I can't really speak to football as I generally stick to basketball. Some of the posters over on the football board are on a completely different level, not in a good way.

As for Pitts toe, I'd say it's been better but you don't see NW fans having full-on meltdowns over it. But again, please don't let that stop you from continuing to beat this horse regarding your coach and AD.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    I'm probably just reading between the lines here, perhaps from your hints in this thread and others, that you may not be a fan of Coach K.

Let's not be hasty...

Quote Originally Posted by NWHoops View Post
    I can't really speak to football as I generally stick to basketball. Some of the posters over on the football board are on a completely different level, not in a good way.

As for Pitts toe, I'd say it's been better but you don't see NW fans having full-on meltdowns over it. But again, please don't let that stop you from continuing to beat this horse regarding your coach and AD.

Ya, it's safe to say that Turf Toe doesn't make the top 10 meltdown list.....congrats to Bearscat fans for exercising restraint.
    Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 02-14-2018 at 08:06 AM.

17. Default Re: Thoughts of a Mule Fanatic

Personally, I think we have a nice team. I must be taking those same crazy pills.

18. Default Re: Thoughts of a Mule Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Mulas View Post
    Should be the same result, but unfortunately it won't. Coach K is the coach that AD Jerry Hughes hand picked from a large group of qualified applicants and Jerry's not going to admit he screwed up until it gets a whole lot uglier than this. If things stay the same and the Mules basketball team produces even middle of the pack results, then I think it will be good enough for Jerry. It was said before, when was the last time Jerry Hughes fired a head coach. Hell, the wrestling team is beyond awful and that coach is still here. I know you can't compare Mules basketball and wrestling when it comes to tradition and importance, but it's telling that Jerry allows the wrestling program to flounder year after year. I predict that before Coach K goes, that Jerry will have to go first.....probably when Jerry retires about age 80.
    In regards to comparing wrestling to Mules Basketball: It's pretty hard to draw in top wrestling prospects or coaches when the team doesn't have a wrestling room. Most high schools have better practice rooms than UCM.

Quote Originally Posted by MuleLove View Post
    In regards to comparing wrestling to Mules Basketball: It's pretty hard to draw in top wrestling prospects or coaches when the team doesn't have a wrestling room. Most high schools have better practice rooms than UCM.
    Fair Enough

That's a pitiful way to treat the wrestling team.

So why does the AD not find a way to provide a dedicated decent wrestling room for the team? Ya, I know that everything cost money, but we're just talking about a practice room. Where do they practice now, in the Multi or somewhere else?

20. Default Re: Thoughts of a Mule Fanatic

Jim Crane, owner of the Astros and Mules Athletic Hall of Famer, said at a banquet this spring that he has put 1.5 million on the table for renovations to the baseball stadium but Jerry has to match it first to get Crane's coin. Hmm....what is Jerry going to do? Changes in the tax laws may even hinder this more as will it still be considered a tax deduction?

Yes wrestling has to go to a cold gym in Lovinger and set-up and take down mats daily for practice so just about ANY high school has a better wrestling room than UCM. They had a dedicated wrestling room in the bowels of Morrow until the new rec center was built. Heck, even the middle school I attended in Iowa, had a wrestling room and better facilities than here. However there is one big difference. In Iowa, the wrestling programs bring in money and i would speculate that they even generate some revenue.

As for back to basketball, the mules are a good team but not an elite team. Central has a history of being very good and some years with truly elite teams. Anderson brought basketball back to the forefront. Coach K has kept the ship afloat but it is not sinking IMO. Our ship is just not as fast and we are in races but fans don't have confidence that we will WIN races.

It is also not totally Coach K's fault that attendance is declining. Students just don't show up like they used to. They seem to be doing something else instead of attending a game. some will say they are working to help pay for college, others will say that there are other things that are occupying their time. And lastly, others will argue that it is the product that is on the court. The fact is that the size of the student crowd was declining in Anderson's tenure.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast