Thread: It's that time again...

Contribute to D2

Default It's that time again...

The GNAC doesn't reach the halfway mark of conference play until Saturday, but a pretty decent number of both the PacWest and CCAA have, so here's my annual OCD exercise in throwing out the hypothetical conference tournament brackets. Here's what it would look like if the season ended today:

CCAA (first round games at higher seed, semis and finals at Pomona)

#8 Cal State-San Bernardino (7-9, 5-7) at #1 Cal Poly Pomona (12-3, 9-2)
    #7 Sonoma State (7-8, 5-6) at #2 UC San Diego (12-5, 9-2)
    #6 Stanislaus State (11-6, 6-5) at #3 Cal State-San Marcos (13-3, 8-2)
    #5 San Francisco State (10-7, 7-5) at #4 Chico State (11-5, 8-4)

GNAC (March 1-3 at Alaska-Anchorage)

#6 Saint Martin's (11-5, 4-4) vs. #3 Seattle Pacific (10-5, 5-3)
    #5 Northwest Nazarene (8-6, 4-4) vs. #4 Alaska-Fairbanks (7-7, 5-3)

BYE: #1 Western Washington (13-3, 8-0), #2 Western Oregon (15-1, 7-1)

Notes: SPU beat UAF h2h, NNU beat SMU h2h

PacWest (March 1-3 at Cal Baptist)

#6 Concordia-Irvine (11-6, 5-4) vs. #3 Cal Baptist (14-3, 7-2)
    #5 Point Loma (13-6, 7-3) vs. #4 Chaminade (11-4, 6-2)

BYE: #1 Dixie State (11-6, 8-2), #2 Azusa Pacific (12-6, 8-2)

*Notes: Dixie beat APU in their only h2h meeting this year; Cal Baptist had a game @ UH-Hilo postponed but no make-up date has ever been scheduled.
    Last edited by SGAstumpJ; 01-16-2018 at 07:59 PM. Reason: grammar

2. Default Re: It's that time again...

Thanks! Interesting to see where we are at. I feel the GNAC will change a LOT yet, but am glad to see the Nooks in the conversation again. I hope they can continue to build on what's going well right now.

Default Re: It's that time again...

I know it's good to have people share the conference tournament, but Alaska is the worst place to have it, period; MSU-Billings not far behind. It should be on the I-5 cooridor. Yeah, I don't live on the I-5 cooridor, but most GNAC teams are there. By having it in Anchorage, they just guaranteed hardly any fans will travel to the game.

St. Martin's hosted it for quite a few years, didn't hear too many complaints. Concordia would be a nice locale, too, with a number of hotels in the city, same with SPU. Sorry, I really don't get having this in Anchorage.

4. Default Re: It's that time again...

Tsull... Buddy... Not sure how to start this, but quit yer whining already. SMU hosts the tourney for 3 out of every 4 years (or something along this line) and every 4th year the GNAC (coaches I presume) vote on one of the outlying GNAC locations as an alternate every once in a while. Alaska schools spend and immense amount of time traveling every other week down to the I-5 area and do not complain about the burden, because they understand that this is how things work. Well, guess what. The GNAC coaches picked UAA almost unanimously it was announced last year when the location was revealed. I suspect they were voting between UAA & NNU, perhaps UAF too? Probably in 4 years, it will NNU's chance to host and you'll be trotting around all excited about getting to watch so many good games stuffed into one weekend and some of the rest of us will try not to grown about *Nampa* Idaho.

UAA has an amazing facility, regardless of how one feels about the SeaPups and players LOVE playing there.

I'd bet good money the tourney will be well attended. Alaska Airlines offer excellent rates between Seattle and Anchorage, and March is a gorgeous time of year all around the state. I will be there! It is a rare opportunity for Alaska fans to have all those teams here on the men's side. We don't feel very bad for anyone who would rather it be on I-5.

Quote Originally Posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
    Tsull... Buddy... Not sure how to start this, but quit yer whining already. SMU hosts the tourney for 3 out of every 4 years (or something along this line) and every 4th year the GNAC (coaches I presume) vote on one of the outlying GNAC locations as an alternate every once in a while. Alaska schools spend and immense amount of time traveling every other week down to the I-5 area and do not complain about the burden, because they understand that this is how things work. Well, guess what. The GNAC coaches picked UAA almost unanimously it was announced last year when the location was revealed. I suspect they were voting between UAA & NNU, perhaps UAF too? Probably in 4 years, it will NNU's chance to host and you'll be trotting around all excited about getting to watch so many good games stuffed into one weekend and some of the rest of us will try not to grown about *Nampa* Idaho.

UAA has an amazing facility, regardless of how one feels about the SeaPups and players LOVE playing there.

I'd bet good money the tourney will be well attended. Alaska Airlines offer excellent rates between Seattle and Anchorage, and March is a gorgeous time of year all around the state. I will be there! It is a rare opportunity for Alaska fans to have all those teams here on the men's side. We don't feel very bad for anyone who would rather it be on I-5.
    It doesn't have to be in Nampa either or Billings and it shouldn't, to be honest. The flights from Boise to Anchorage are better than I thought, but it's tough for the average fan to get up there. Boise is $178 one way; Portland is $215 one way. The tourney doesn't have to have a permanent home, just somewhere where the average Joe can drive to a game. I think they should rotate it between SPU, St. Martin's, and Concordia; or they could have it at neutral sites like Key Arena in Seattle and Memorial Coliseum in Portland; or the place in south King County that holds 4K.

I guess it tosses Alaska fans a bone, that's good. So since they don't get many events up there, they need to come through to the tune of 1,500 fans for local teams and at least 700 for the other games. I don't have a problem with UAF or UAA hosting regionals if they earn the right, but I just think the conference ought to be at an easier place to get to. Yes, I know this won't sit well with Alaskans ... get football programs at UAF and UAA and I'll give you a break.

6. Default Re: It's that time again...

Quote Originally Posted by SGAstumpJ View Post
    The GNAC doesn't reach the halfway mark of conference play until Saturday, but a pretty decent number of both the PacWest and CCAA have, so here's my annual OCD exercise in throwing out the hypothetical conference tournament brackets. Here's what it would look like if the season ended today:

CCAA (first round games at higher seed, semis and finals at Pomona)

#8 Cal State-San Bernardino (7-9, 5-7) at #1 Cal Poly Pomona (12-3, 9-2)
    #7 Sonoma State (7-8, 5-6) at #2 UC San Diego (12-5, 9-2)
    #6 Stanislaus State (11-6, 6-5) at #3 Cal State-San Marcos (13-3, 8-2)
    #5 San Francisco State (10-7, 7-5) at #4 Chico State (11-5, 8-4)

GNAC (March 1-3 at Alaska-Anchorage)

#6 Saint Martin's (11-5, 4-4) vs. #3 Seattle Pacific (10-5, 5-3)
    #5 Northwest Nazarene (8-6, 4-4) vs. #4 Alaska-Fairbanks (7-7, 5-3)

BYE: #1 Western Washington (13-3, 8-0), #2 Western Oregon (15-1, 7-1)

Notes: SPU beat UAF h2h, NNU beat SMU h2h

PacWest (March 1-3 at Cal Baptist)

#6 Concordia-Irvine (11-6, 5-4) vs. #3 Cal Baptist (14-3, 7-2)
    #5 Point Loma (13-6, 7-3) vs. #4 Chaminade (11-4, 6-2)

BYE: #1 Dixie State (11-6, 8-2), #2 Azusa Pacific (12-6, 8-2)

*Notes: Dixie beat APU in their only h2h meeting this year; Cal Baptist had a game @ UH-Hilo postponed but no make-up date has ever been scheduled.

The Hilo game with CBU was announced several weeks ago to be 2/13/18. I believe it is visible on both teams websites.

7. Default Re: It's that time again...

Football... right. What planet are you living on? Alaska is going broke. It is VERY COLD in Fairbanks-outside sports are not an option here outside of May-September. Football has a tendency to ruin good minds.

The GNAC tourney location is a HUGE home-court advantage for the hosting site team, thus the need to move it around. It's just not fair if SMU gets it every year, ditto not fair if it moves between WWU, SPU, SMU. Get over it. If we live to see it in Fairbanks you all will endure torchure with my glee.

Quote Originally Posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
    Football... right. What planet are you living on? Alaska is going broke. It is VERY COLD in Fairbanks-outside sports are not an option here outside of May-September. Football has a tendency to ruin good minds.

The GNAC tourney location is a HUGE home-court advantage for the hosting site team, thus the need to move it around. It's just not fair if SMU gets it every year, ditto not fair if it moves between WWU, SPU, SMU. Get over it. If we live to see it in Fairbanks you all will endure torchure with my glee.
    It's such a huge home advantage that Saint Martin's wins it every year ...wait a second. OK rotate it then, everyone gets it once, no exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by SValukis View Post
    [/B]

The Hilo game with CBU was announced several weeks ago to be 2/13/18. I believe it is visible on both teams websites.
    So they're on their way out the door, and they're getting rewarded with an 11th conference home game on top of the conference tournament? Spectacular. [/sarcasm]