Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 728

Thread: WT New Stadium

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Canyon, TX
    Posts
    4
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    0

    Default WT New Stadium

    I thought there was an old thread about WT's new stadium, but I couldn't find it. Has there been any "official" ground-breaking talk as of lately? I would assume something would need to be happening soon to be ready for the 2019 season....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    portales, nm
    Posts
    5,144
    Rep Power
    485325

    Default Re: WT New Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffAlum09 View Post
    I thought there was an old thread about WT's new stadium, but I couldn't find it. Has there been any "official" ground-breaking talk as of lately? I would assume something would need to be happening soon to be ready for the 2019 season....
    I hear there is some confusion on naming rights, for some reason folks are balking at Greyhound stadium east, despite the fact that the hounds own the place!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,262
    Rep Power
    55747

    Default Re: WT New Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    I hear there is some confusion on naming rights, for some reason folks are balking at Greyhound stadium east, despite the fact that the hounds own the place!
    B-O-O-M

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    portales, nm
    Posts
    5,144
    Rep Power
    485325

    Default Re: WT New Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    B-O-O-M
    The off season is soooo dang boooring!

  5. #5

    Default Re: WT New Stadium

    Or, how about a list of players WT signed during the early signing period . Have seen some names from the other LSC schools .

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    South to the Alamo and North to Denver
    Posts
    3,056
    Rep Power
    62949

    Default Re: WT New Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by olebuff View Post
    Or, how about a list of players WT signed during the early signing period . Have seen some names from the other LSC schools .
    My understanding we have a lot of offers out there, including some exciting impact players, but there were none that signed during the early period.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    South to the Alamo and North to Denver
    Posts
    3,056
    Rep Power
    62949

    Default Re: WT New Stadium

    And is it just me or at least in the short term, WT is going the JUCO route? Last count I saw was at least 20 offers to current JUCO's. Maybe I haven't paid close enough attention in the past few years but this seems much higher than years past. Now obviously those won't all come to WT, but still seems like an aggressive push that direction.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canyon, TX
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    73362

    Default Re: WT New Stadium

    So far I have seen only a couple of high school commitments for WT. For JUCO I have not officially seen a commitment, but I believe they did at least get a WR to this point. WT has by and large put out more offers than any of the other LSC schools...100+ offers made with 20+ being JUCO. It is out of necessity really for this year, unless they can get a boat load of incoming freshmen that can play. I have been told about half of last year's recruiting class decided to not return. Of the JUCO players WT offered, 2 went to Commerce, 1 to CSU-P, 1 to UTPB, and at least 3 have gone D1.

  9. #9

    Default Re: WT New Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    So far I have seen only a couple of high school commitments for WT. For JUCO I have not officially seen a commitment, but I believe they did at least get a WR to this point. WT has by and large put out more offers than any of the other LSC schools...100+ offers made with 20+ being JUCO. It is out of necessity really for this year, unless they can get a boat load of incoming freshmen that can play. I have been told about half of last year's recruiting class decided to not return. Of the JUCO players WT offered, 2 went to Commerce, 1 to CSU-P, 1 to UTPB, and at least 3 have gone D1.
    Interesting....Hughes must have intolerance as a personality trait if that many players are not returning. This war of attrition is never going to produce wins on Saturdays.

    I was hoping he had learned from his mistakes last year. Now....not sure.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Rockwall, TX
    Posts
    9,621
    Rep Power
    32321

    Default Re: WT New Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by WT_ALUM08 View Post
    And is it just me or at least in the short term, WT is going the JUCO route? Last count I saw was at least 20 offers to current JUCO's. Maybe I haven't paid close enough attention in the past few years but this seems much higher than years past. Now obviously those won't all come to WT, but still seems like an aggressive push that direction.
    I was hearing last season that he regretted not bringing in more instant impact guys to speed up the process. In theory, going all high school sounds great when you're rebuilding. In practice though, it slows down the process a lot. Sure, some of them will grow with the program and be studs their senior year, but its a lot faster to bring in JUCO/D1 transfers and win quick....winning gets you access quickly to a lot of high school kids that didn't give you the time of day when you weren't winning. Once you're winning, then you start scaling down the amount of transfers, and raising the number of very high quality high school kids. This is how it was done at many of the bigtime programs over the years, and at Commerce now.

    Truth be told, you can look at a lot of the top programs and very easily see they have very detailed theories in what positions they bring transfers in for the most part. These things aren't random.

    If the above comment is true in regards to that many freshmen leaving already, that may have forced this decision regardless.
    Last edited by LionFan; 01-17-2018 at 11:18 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    15,329
    Rep Power
    188670

    Default Re: WT New Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by LionFan View Post
    I was hearing last season that he regretted not bringing in more instant impact guys to speed up the process. In theory, going all high school sounds great when you're rebuilding. In practice though, it slows down the process a lot. Sure, some of them will grow with the program and be studs their senior year, but its a lot faster to bring in JUCO/D1 transfers and win quick....winning gets you access quickly to a lot of high school kids that didn't give you the time of day when you weren't winning. Once you're winning, then you start scaling down the amount of transfers, and raising the number of very high quality high school kids. This is how it was done at many of the bigtime programs over the years, and at Commerce now.

    Truth be told, you can look at a lot of the top programs and very easily see they have very detailed theories in what positions they bring transfers in for the most part. These things aren't random.

    If the above comment is true in regards to that many freshmen leaving already, that may have forced this decision regardless.
    Very well put. I hope to see some of the same thinking on display down this way for the 2018 season. It was obvious in many positions on the field we were very much in need, especially on the lines. My goodness for a program that used to crank out a pro prospect routinely on the O-line and to go to what we showed last year was a nightmare. Seriously when we played you guys, we looked like a high school team and a mediocre one at that size and strength wise on that O-line compared to you all.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canyon, Texas
    Posts
    15,849
    Rep Power
    688378

    Default Re: WT New Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Interesting....Hughes must have intolerance as a personality trait if that many players are not returning. This war of attrition is never going to produce wins on Saturdays.

    I was hoping he had learned from his mistakes last year. Now....not sure.
    Only time will tell.

    However, I can well remember Carthel signing 60 or 70 high school kids most very year. But, when you looked at the numbers of freshmen returning for their second fall, it was unusual to find more than 15 that were still on the roster. And by their junior year, that number usually dwindled to less than 10. I think that's pretty par for the course at most D2 schools. I surmise, if you've got 15 seniors who've been with the program since their freshman signing, you're an all-star program for retention.

    Colby has done exactly what Don did at WT. That's got to be the model in Texas. Too many HS kids have already been picked over. You got to have some JUCO and D1 stud transfers to play at the top level. Period.

  13. Default Re: WT New Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    Only time will tell.

    However, I can well remember Carthel signing 60 or 70 high school kids most very year. But, when you looked at the numbers of freshmen returning for their second fall, it was unusual to find more than 15 that were still on the roster. And by their junior year, that number usually dwindled to less than 10. I think that's pretty par for the course at most D2 schools. I surmise, if you've got 15 seniors who've been with the program since their freshman signing, you're an all-star program for retention.

    Colby has done exactly what Don did at WT. That's got to be the model in Texas. Too many HS kids have already been picked over. You got to have some JUCO and D1 stud transfers to play at the top level. Period.
    I will add that just because a kid doesn't return does not mean the coaching staff is to blame. Based on the massive cuts last year and the few sound bites I have heard from Hughes he appears to run a tight program. If that is reality, some of these kids may have done things that caused the team to leave them (behavior/grades/lack of interest). To be clear, I am not trying to blame any one kid for an infraction without proof; just pointing out that you also can't blame the coach without proof for any one student's exit.

    Secondly, how many who received decent playing time also left? Just thinking out loud, with so few players remaining I imagine one recruiting pitch was immediate playing time. If a kid signed wanting to play and lost a competition for the rotation that could also facilitate an exit.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canyon, TX
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    73362

    Default Re: WT New Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Interesting....Hughes must have intolerance as a personality trait if that many players are not returning. This war of attrition is never going to produce wins on Saturdays.

    I was hoping he had learned from his mistakes last year. Now....not sure.
    It was only specifically the freshmen I was told about. There was no mention of a mass exit from the upper classes returning. I think if the freshmen played and were on the 2 deep, they will return. As Buffalo Chip mentioned below, its not uncommon really. It was just more unfortunate for WT this year because the numbers were already down in the 90s to begin with. If we can't get some JUCO talent in next year, we better have a bunch of good freshmen ready to play.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canyon, TX
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    73362

    Default Re: WT New Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    Only time will tell.

    However, I can well remember Carthel signing 60 or 70 high school kids most very year. But, when you looked at the numbers of freshmen returning for their second fall, it was unusual to find more than 15 that were still on the roster. And by their junior year, that number usually dwindled to less than 10. I think that's pretty par for the course at most D2 schools. I surmise, if you've got 15 seniors who've been with the program since their freshman signing, you're an all-star program for retention.

    Colby has done exactly what Don did at WT. That's got to be the model in Texas. Too many HS kids have already been picked over. You got to have some JUCO and D1 stud transfers to play at the top level. Period.
    The retention at Commerce is way higher than at WT. I truly believe that is what pushed them over the hump this year

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Rockwall, TX
    Posts
    9,621
    Rep Power
    32321

    Default Re: WT New Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    Only time will tell.

    However, I can well remember Carthel signing 60 or 70 high school kids most very year. But, when you looked at the numbers of freshmen returning for their second fall, it was unusual to find more than 15 that were still on the roster. And by their junior year, that number usually dwindled to less than 10. I think that's pretty par for the course at most D2 schools. I surmise, if you've got 15 seniors who've been with the program since their freshman signing, you're an all-star program for retention.

    Colby has done exactly what Don did at WT. That's got to be the model in Texas. Too many HS kids have already been picked over. You got to have some JUCO and D1 stud transfers to play at the top level. Period.
    I didn't pay close enough attention to Don's teams at WT back then, but I know Colby has a MUCH higher retention rate than that. We had 17 freshmen play in the National Championship game alone...that's not counting the ones that didn't make the trip. And those freshmen that played weren't just token substitutions here and there. They were CB's left out on an island by themselves, both running backs, a starting WR, starting safety, etc.
    Last edited by LionFan; 01-17-2018 at 01:59 PM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Rockwall, TX
    Posts
    9,621
    Rep Power
    32321

    Default Re: WT New Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    The retention at Commerce is way higher than at WT. I truly believe that is what pushed them over the hump this year
    Agreed. While they share a last name and a lot of character traits, Colby is his own man. For some reason around here, there tends to be this notion that Colby just copied everything that Don did in Commerce and is doing things exactly the same all over again in Commerce. There are a LOT of differences in Don's teams at WT and Colby's teams in Commerce. The blueprints to rebuilding, offensive philosophy, personnel, defensive traits, and player substitutions are VERY, VERY different. Their personalities are also pretty different. I've had the chance to spend a LOT of time around both of them over the last few years and while they're both about as likeable a human being as you will ever meet, they have different coaching styles. I think because of Don's likeable personality and ability to sell anything to anyone at a moment's notice, they assume Colby is the same. He's got some of those traits too, but Colby does NOT mess around. I wish I could go into some of the things he's done in the background to build the culture we've got in Commerce. It'd probably shock some people around here who just assume it's all fun and games in Commerce
    Last edited by LionFan; 01-17-2018 at 02:05 PM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Rockwall, TX
    Posts
    9,621
    Rep Power
    32321

    Default Re: WT New Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    Very well put. I hope to see some of the same thinking on display down this way for the 2018 season. It was obvious in many positions on the field we were very much in need, especially on the lines. My goodness for a program that used to crank out a pro prospect routinely on the O-line and to go to what we showed last year was a nightmare. Seriously when we played you guys, we looked like a high school team and a mediocre one at that size and strength wise on that O-line compared to you all.
    You guys will get there, I don't have any doubt. S&C is something that was very overlooked in our success this year. Josh Stoner came in a couple years ago from the SEC and just completely changed things in terms of our strength and quickness.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    15,329
    Rep Power
    188670

    Default Re: WT New Stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by LionFan View Post
    You guys will get there, I don't have any doubt. S&C is something that was very overlooked in our success this year. Josh Stoner came in a couple years ago from the SEC and just completely changed things in terms of our strength and quickness.
    I really hope you are right. Until then I skeptical anything dramatic will happen.

  20. #20

    Default Re: WT New Stadium

    They initially gave Western Builders date of August 2019 to complete . Don't know much about construction but it seems like they are running out of time .

Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •