Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: WT New Stadium

Default Re: WT New Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by LionFan View Post
    Agreed. While they share a last name and a lot of character traits, Colby is his own man. For some reason around here, there tends to be this notion that Colby just copied everything that Don did in Commerce and is doing things exactly the same all over again in Commerce. There are a LOT of differences in Don's teams at WT and Colby's teams in Commerce. The blueprints to rebuilding, offensive philosophy, personnel, defensive traits, and player substitutions are VERY, VERY different. Their personalities are also pretty different. I've had the chance to spend a LOT of time around both of them over the last few years and while they're both about as likeable a human being as you will ever meet, they have different coaching styles. I think because of Don's likeable personality and ability to sell anything to anyone at a moment's notice, they assume Colby is the same. He's got some of those traits too, but Colby does NOT mess around. I wish I could go into some of the things he's done in the background to build the culture we've got in Commerce. It'd probably shock some people around here who just assume it's all fun and games in Commerce
    Sounds like ACU might have missed the boat NOT taking Carthel. Texas connections and his ability to recruit would pay dividends for an FCS program. The one thing I would still like to know is how TAMUC has double the coaches of any other LSC school on their roster?

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    Only time will tell.

However, I can well remember Carthel signing 60 or 70 high school kids most very year. But, when you looked at the numbers of freshmen returning for their second fall, it was unusual to find more than 15 that were still on the roster. And by their junior year, that number usually dwindled to less than 10. I think that's pretty par for the course at most D2 schools. I surmise, if you've got 15 seniors who've been with the program since their freshman signing, you're an all-star program for retention.

Colby has done exactly what Don did at WT. That's got to be the model in Texas. Too many HS kids have already been picked over. You got to have some JUCO and D1 stud transfers to play at the top level. Period.
    You are correct time will tell. Kinda like cast the largest net and see if you can land some big ones along with as many others as possible.

I do agree with you about HS players being diluted. I’m not sure a lot of talent even plays football as more and more kids are becoming one sport players.

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Sounds like ACU might have missed the boat NOT taking Carthel. Texas connections and his ability to recruit would pay dividends for an FCS program. The one thing I would still like to know is how TAMUC has double the coaches of any other LSC school on their roster?
    Money, no limit on coaches. If you got the money you can pay em!

Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    Money, no limit on coaches. If you got the money you can pay em!
    That, in itself, is a huge advantage! Also, is a big advantage recruiting having several coaches talking to one recruit.

You are correct time will tell. Kinda like cast the largest net and see if you can land some big ones along with as many others as possible.

I do agree with you about HS players being diluted. I’m not sure a lot of talent even plays football as more and more kids are becoming one sport players.
    I just spent three hours tonight watching videos on the QB's, RB's, and WR's WT have offered. Duel threat QB's with speed, RB's with speed and moves (only a couple with size), and some very speedy WR's. I'll start on the OL's and DL's later tonight.

If Colby has another season like the just completed one, he will be pursued by a number of programs.

Prediction. Texas State will come calling at the end of the upcoming season. They were horrible last year (2-10) with a 20-11 win over Houston Baptist. Oh my...

Edit

And 2-10 in 2016. The trend is not the current regimes friend
    Last edited by LSC Fan; 01-18-2018 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    If Colby has another season like the just completed one, he will be pursued by a number of programs.

Prediction. Texas State will come calling at the end of the upcoming season. They were horrible last year (2-10) with a 20-11 win over Houston Baptist. Oh my...

Edit

And 2-10 in 2016. The trend is not the current regimes friend
    I would be shocked if he went to Texas State. Even a bottom FBS school would most likely never hire a D2 coach.

Quote Originally Posted by LSCfan1 View Post
    I would be shocked if he went to Texas State. Even a bottom FBS school would most likely never hire a D2 coach.
    Brian Kelly who is now at Norte Dame would disagree with you.

I know a few others have done the leap as well, but can't name them right off the top of my head.

I know a few others have done the leap as well, but can't name them right off the top of my head.
    I like Colby and wish him only the best, but at this point in his career, he is no Brian Kelly. Brian had a few more Natties under his belt than Colby, even if he gets another one next year.

Plus, Kelly did not go directly from GV to ND. Grand Valley to Central Michigan (2004-2006), to Cincinnati (2006-2009), then to ND.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBuffsGo View Post
    I like Colby and wish him only the best, but at this point in his career, he is no Brian Kelly. Brian had a few more Natties under his belt than Colby, even if he gets another one next year.

I agree, but I qualified my first post stating having another Nattie season in 18 would put him on the radars of more schools than he might be on now. Central Michigan was in a hole similar to what Texas State is in when Kelly took the job. Add in the fact he took Commerce from being a laughing stock to winning a Nattie in a short period. It bodes well for him for even a school like Texas State to take a gamble.

For comparison, Texas States current coach's resume

http://www.txstatebobcats.com/coache...&path=football

I would say even with Colby coaching at the lower level, his resume is better.

A few would be correct. Maybe very few would be even more accurate. And there certainly isn’t anyone taking a “leap” from D2 to FBS, any more than a single A manager is leaping to MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    Duel threat QB's.
    Complete with dueling banjos I trust ?

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    Complete with dueling banjos I trust ?
    Complete with sabres we hope.

I saw a sign along the street on Russell Long Blvd this afternoon that said "Future home of Buffalo Stadium". Progress!! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    I saw a sign along the street on Russell Long Blvd this afternoon that said "Future home of Buffalo Stadium". Progress!! Lol
    Wonder how many steering committees and board meetings it took to get the sign approved?

Wonder how many steering committees and board meetings it took to get the sign approved?
    Only 6 preliminary conferences, 4 steering committees, and 2 board meetings and many thanks to a team of savvy attorneys able to burrow thru the maze of bureaucratic BS that is the A&M system.

I’ve grown cold to the idea of a new stadium. I think it’s a waste of money. You’re going to spend how many $ million for a facility you use a sum total of 15 hours a year? For some D2 ball?

There are a couple of WT-ish colleges near me looking at the same. I don’t get it.

IF you build it, they will come!

NOT!

Just a bunch of hype.....a new stadium accomplishes absolutely NOTHING.

I’ve grown cold to the idea of a new stadium. I think it’s a waste of money. You’re going to spend how many $ million for a facility you use a sum total of 15 hours a year? For some D2 ball?

There are a couple of WT-ish colleges near me looking at the same. I don’t get it.
    In the long run Easterns stadium will be a net gain. Less operating cost and as far as community goes a far better return on investment.

While in Abilene yesterday, we stopped and looked at ACU's new stadium. Double ugly press box but otherwise a nice stadium.

ASU will play there next fall. Looking forward to that game. Glad we finally have them back on the schedule and hope it lasts for several years..

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast