Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 66

Thread: OT: All-GSC FBS Title Game

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    6,313
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    80389

    Default OT: Bama vs. UGA

    I'm not sure what to think about this game. Should be interesting.

    Thought I'd share an article about the matchup from my latest project.

    College Football Title Game: NFL Draft Hopefuls to Watch

    https://www.secbeyond.com/2018/01/08...fuls-to-watch/
    Last edited by UNALions; 01-08-2018 at 09:06 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    5,303
    Rep Power
    59880

    Default

    All GSC....I see what you did there.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    6,313
    Rep Power
    80389

    Default Re: OT: All-GSC FBS Title Game

    Ooops! Lol. Shows where my heart is.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    2,153
    Rep Power
    22540

    Default Re: OT: All-GSC FBS Title Game

    I definitely think all the divisions except D1 has the playoffs right. The 4 team playoff is a joke. It’s nothing but 13 people giving an opinion of who the best 4 teams are. The G5 should leave and create their own. UCF should have been in, not Bama. Whatever happened to the true concept of any given team can beat any other given team on a Saturday? All those saying ucf couldn’t last a second are full of it and I have zero connection to ucf.

    With the exception of EA, I truly believe D2 has a great way to determine a true champion and I imagine FCS and D3 does too.

    Bama fans need to say “we are the National minus state of Alabama champions”. Last time I checked national means throughout the country entirely but they can’t say that because they couldn’t win their own state.

    Game itself was a great game though. The qb fresh from Bama is pretty impressive.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    6,313
    Rep Power
    80389

    Default Re: OT: All-GSC FBS Title Game

    I certainly had a Freudian slip in the title of this thread but it made me recall the All-GSC title game in 1989.

    The Snow Bowl in Florence when Miss. College defeated Jax State 3-0. While not the sole reason, that game certainly brought on Regionalization to D2 in what I've always thought was a way to keep certain conferences (back then, the GSC and NCC) from ever having a chance of getting two teams in the game.

    I'm not a huge fan of the regionalized model in D2. But, there will always be opinions.

    It made me laugh to see comments over the weekend about the latest figure skating results vs. who they nominated for the Olympic teams stating that it was the only sport that had this type of subjective selection criteria that leads to drama.

    I reminded several of them that there are upwards of 20 TV shows a day on the drama of subjectivity that surrounds college football.

    I definitely think Bama should have been in the game and knew the two SEC teams had a good chance to beat the other two conferences to get there. Some fans just don't enjoy those hard truths. That said, I would have been fine with UCF playing in place of one of the other two. But FBS is set up that you almost have to be in a Power 5 to have the scheduling opportunities that allow teams to be taken seriously.

    I think the canceled game against GA Tech could have been telling. The Knights have a decent schedule next year, though, playing UNC, FAU and Pitt. Of course, the coach is gone and just saw where a QB is following him. They might be smart to claim a title. Could be a different story with a new coach.
    Last edited by UNALions; 01-09-2018 at 05:43 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    5,303
    Rep Power
    59880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UWARTime View Post
    I definitely think all the divisions except D1 has the playoffs right. The 4 team playoff is a joke. It’s nothing but 13 people giving an opinion of who the best 4 teams are. The G5 should leave and create their own. UCF should have been in, not Bama. Whatever happened to the true concept of any given team can beat any other given team on a Saturday? All those saying ucf couldn’t last a second are full of it and I have zero connection to ucf.

    With the exception of EA, I truly believe D2 has a great way to determine a true champion and I imagine FCS and D3 does too.

    Bama fans need to say “we are the National minus state of Alabama champions”. Last time I checked national means throughout the country entirely but they can’t say that because they couldn’t win their own state.

    Game itself was a great game though. The qb fresh from Bama is pretty impressive.
    I disagree with you wholeheartedly. If you think about it Central Florida was basically like the champion of the CIAA. They were undefeated but they did not beat anyone. Alabama was basically West Florida.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    2,153
    Rep Power
    22540

    Default Re: OT: All-GSC FBS Title Game

    Quote Originally Posted by Braves'86 View Post
    I disagree with you wholeheartedly. If you think about it Central Florida was basically like the champion of the CIAA. They were undefeated but they did not beat anyone. Alabama was basically West Florida.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Actually 86, I feel like you just proved my point. Everything you just said was just an opinion of yours, while I respect it, it’s not concrete. Here are concrete facts though.

    1. Any team can be beaten on any given day
    2. UCF beat a team that was Bamas only L
    3. Bama is not even the Alabama State Champs
    4. Bama is not SEC West Div Champs
    5. Bama is not SEC Conf Champs
    6. UCF went undefeated.
    7. Bama was not undefeated.
    8. Whose to say again if the playoffs started again that Clemson wouldn’t beat Bama or UGA win this time. Not a fact but a 50/50 chance.
    9. No one can say that Bama would have steam rolled UCF without looking like someone who doesn’t truly understand football.
    10. As we all know in D2, scheduling is not a last minute or week to week basis. UCF had their schedule in for the last few years I imagine. I’m sure some big P5 schools were prob scared to play them.
    11. Bama to my knowledge has NEVER played another in state school outside of AU in football. I call it cowardly if that is the case.

    It was a hollow championship in my opinion when you can’t even win your own state and I’m unbiased being an LSU fan and believe it or not Bama is my 2nd favorite team. College football supersedes all my teams though and until they realign conferences to 4 power conferences OR create a 16 game playoff where each team in D1 has at least a chance, it will always be hollow unless your a fan of one of the 4 P.O. teams.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    5,303
    Rep Power
    59880

    Default Re: OT: All-GSC FBS Title Game

    Quote Originally Posted by UWARTime View Post
    Actually 86, I feel like you just proved my point. Everything you just said was just an opinion of yours, while I respect it, it’s not concrete. Here are concrete facts though.

    1. Any team can be beaten on any given day
    In which case there is no point in trying to proclaim a champion via any method short of playing a best of 5 or 7, which will never happen in football.

    UCF is Virginia State, who went 10-0 in a weak conference and got drilled by UWG.
    UCF is 2007 Hawaii, who went 13-0 in a weak conference and got drilled by UGA in the 2008 Sugar Bowl.
    UCF is 2016 Western Michigan, who went 13-0 and won the MAC.

    UCF had not beaten anyone right up til they beat Auburn by 7, at which point it was too late to go back and say they deserve a shot any anything. They needed double OT to get by #20 Memphis and their game against Georgia Tech was canceled. I'm not sure they would've won that.
    Last edited by Braves'86; 01-10-2018 at 08:21 AM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: OT: All-GSC FBS Title Game

    Quote Originally Posted by UWARTime View Post
    Actually 86, I feel like you just proved my point. Everything you just said was just an opinion of yours, while I respect it, it’s not concrete. Here are concrete facts though.

    1. Any team can be beaten on any given day
    2. UCF beat a team that was Bamas only L
    3. Bama is not even the Alabama State Champs
    4. Bama is not SEC West Div Champs
    5. Bama is not SEC Conf Champs
    6. UCF went undefeated.
    7. Bama was not undefeated.
    8. Whose to say again if the playoffs started again that Clemson wouldn’t beat Bama or UGA win this time. Not a fact but a 50/50 chance.
    9. No one can say that Bama would have steam rolled UCF without looking like someone who doesn’t truly understand football.
    10. As we all know in D2, scheduling is not a last minute or week to week basis. UCF had their schedule in for the last few years I imagine. I’m sure some big P5 schools were prob scared to play them.
    11. Bama to my knowledge has NEVER played another in state school outside of AU in football. I call it cowardly if that is the case.

    It was a hollow championship in my opinion when you can’t even win your own state and I’m unbiased being an LSU fan and believe it or not Bama is my 2nd favorite team. College football supersedes all my teams though and until they realign conferences to 4 power conferences OR create a 16 game playoff where each team in D1 has at least a chance, it will always be hollow unless your a fan of one of the 4 P.O. teams.
    Glad your not in charge because I couldn’t disagree with you more. A 16 game playoff? What, cut the regular season down to 8 games? There can only be so many games for these kids to play and only so much money the kids can make for the mob known as the NCAA. The two best teams played for the Championship. UCF didn’t play a schedule that warranted them playing for a championship. They beat an Auburn team that didn’t care. Exhibition games don’t mean nothing. I like the setup. They got it right. Both of the Georgia games were some of the best football games you’ll ever see. I would like to see some of exhibition (bowl) games go away, there’s too many. No one goes and no one watches. Give UCF a trophy for going undefeated, but no one wants to see another Georgia vs Hawaii.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    5,303
    Rep Power
    59880

    Default Re: OT: All-GSC FBS Title Game

    I wouldn't mind seeing 6 teams with the first two getting a first round bye. The problem there is if a non-conference team like Notre Dame make the field they effectively get a bye week either way, maybe two.

  11. #11

    Default Re: OT: All-GSC FBS Title Game

    Quote Originally Posted by Braves'86 View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing 6 teams with the first two getting a first round bye. The problem there is if a non-conference team like Notre Dame make the field they effectively get a bye week either way, maybe two.
    Just keep control over the amount of games that are played. UGA played 15 games this season, in my mind that’s too many. No matter what the system, someone’s going to feel screwed over. The key is scheduling. Schedule quality opponents and maybe take the culinary school of arts off the schedule.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,966
    Rep Power
    35608

    Default Re: OT: All-GSC FBS Title Game

    Quote Originally Posted by Braves'86 View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing 6 teams with the first two getting a first round bye. The problem there is if a non-conference team like Notre Dame make the field they effectively get a bye week either way, maybe two.
    It's looking more and more as though Notre Dame football is slowly transitioning into becoming an ACC team, not ready to give up that lofty TV contract yet. Bet it happens in the near future.

  13. Default Re: OT: All-GSC FBS Title Game

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle74 View Post
    It's looking more and more as though Notre Dame football is slowly transitioning into becoming an ACC team, not ready to give up that lofty TV contract yet. Bet it happens in the near future.
    If I were the ACC, I Would demand it. There's nothing that special about nd anymore in anything. If they want to stay indy in football I'd tell them they can go back to indy in basketball too.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,459
    Rep Power
    65988

    Default Re: OT: All-GSC FBS Title Game

    UCF treated the bowl game like a championship against Auburn. The sidelines for them was full of enthusiasm and excitement. Auburn just showed up to the game because they had agreed to play in it. I do not think UCF stays within 10 points of Auburn if it were during the season, when it meant more to Auburn to have a chance at the playoff. UCF had a good team, would not have beat the teams ranked ahead of them at the end of the year.

  15. Default Re: OT: All-GSC FBS Title Game

    Quote Originally Posted by Superwolfe View Post
    Glad your not in charge because I couldn’t disagree with you more. A 16 game playoff? What, cut the regular season down to 8 games? There can only be so many games for these kids to play and only so much money the kids can make for the mob known as the NCAA. The two best teams played for the Championship. UCF didn’t play a schedule that warranted them playing for a championship. They beat an Auburn team that didn’t care. Exhibition games don’t mean nothing. I like the setup. They got it right. Both of the Georgia games were some of the best football games you’ll ever see. I would like to see some of exhibition (bowl) games go away, there’s too many. No one goes and no one watches. Give UCF a trophy for going undefeated, but no one wants to see another Georgia vs Hawaii.
    UCF's not the only team to go undefeated and unrewarded. Auburn did it in 2004 (I think) with a backfield of Jason Campbell, Ronnie Brown, Cadillac and Williams running behind Tim Duckworth 6–3 314, King Dunlap 6–8 292, Ben Grubbs 6–3 289, Marcus McNeill 6–9 340 with a loaded defense as well.

    Alabama 1966. Defending National Champs finished with a perfect record led by All Americans Kenny "Snake" Stabler and receivers Dennis Homan and Ray Perkins were almost unstoppable. The Tide averaged over 27 points per game but their ball hawking defense allowed only 4 points per game! They rolled into the Sugar Bowl and blew out Nebraska 34-7. Meanwhile the "mighty irish" and michi state purposely played to a 10-10 tie. No brainer, right? WRONG. neuter dame finish first, michi state second and the undefeated, defending National Champs finished #3 but did get the vote of Nebraska coach Bob Devaney.

    So UCF, you don't know what "getting screwed" even means. You're only 2-2 against UNA!

  16. Default Re: OT: All-GSC FBS Title Game

    Exactly! If you like to bet, bet AGAINST Alabama and Auburn in consolation games if they have suffered devastating late season losses. Alabama has phoned it in twice in the three consolation games they've played in the Saban era rolling over for utah and oklahoma in relatively meaningless games while winning only once in a consolation game by blowing out Michigan State 49-7. I guess it was because their losses that season came earlier and they were ticked off. That team actually had more talent than any of Saban's other teams but not the character. The game against Bama was the Super Bowl for Utah and I still hear it tossed around that they had a better team than the Tide.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    2,153
    Rep Power
    22540

    Default Re: OT: All-GSC FBS Title Game

    Quote Originally Posted by High plains drifter View Post
    UCF's not the only team to go undefeated and unrewarded. Auburn did it in 2004 (I think) with a backfield of Jason Campbell, Ronnie Brown, Cadillac and Williams running behind Tim Duckworth 6–3 314, King Dunlap 6–8 292, Ben Grubbs 6–3 289, Marcus McNeill 6–9 340 with a loaded defense as well.

    Alabama 1966. Defending National Champs finished with a perfect record led by All Americans Kenny "Snake" Stabler and receivers Dennis Homan and Ray Perkins were almost unstoppable. The Tide averaged over 27 points per game but their ball hawking defense allowed only 4 points per game! They rolled into the Sugar Bowl and blew out Nebraska 34-7. Meanwhile the "mighty irish" and michi state purposely played to a 10-10 tie. No brainer, right? WRONG. neuter dame finish first, michi state second and the undefeated, defending National Champs finished #3 but did get the vote of Nebraska coach Bob Devaney.

    So UCF, you don't know what "getting screwed" even means. You're only 2-2 against UNA!
    And their 1-0 against Bama haha

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    2,153
    Rep Power
    22540

    Default Re: OT: All-GSC FBS Title Game

    Quote Originally Posted by High plains drifter View Post
    Exactly! If you like to bet, bet AGAINST Alabama and Auburn in consolation games if they have suffered devastating late season losses. Alabama has phoned it in twice in the three consolation games they've played in the Saban era rolling over for utah and oklahoma in relatively meaningless games while winning only once in a consolation game by blowing out Michigan State 49-7. I guess it was because their losses that season came earlier and they were ticked off. That team actually had more talent than any of Saban's other teams but not the character. The game against Bama was the Super Bowl for Utah and I still hear it tossed around that they had a better team than the Tide.
    That is just an embarrassing comment to make about ones team as an excuse to lose. What a joke. Says a lot about Bama and AU then to not care unless it’s the NC game or reg season game. Haha.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Florence Alabama
    Posts
    2,100
    Rep Power
    59432

    Default Re: OT: All-GSC FBS Title Game

    Quote Originally Posted by UWARTime View Post
    That is just an embarrassing comment to make about ones team as an excuse to lose. What a joke. Says a lot about Bama and AU then to not care unless it’s the NC game or reg season game. Haha.
    Every big time program has flopped to a lesser team in a hand me a trophy bowl game. Even Florida State, Oklahoma, Ohio State, UWA.......

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    2,153
    Rep Power
    22540

    Default Re: OT: All-GSC FBS Title Game

    Quote Originally Posted by Lions96 View Post
    UCF treated the bowl game like a championship against Auburn. The sidelines for them was full of enthusiasm and excitement. Auburn just showed up to the game because they had agreed to play in it. I do not think UCF stays within 10 points of Auburn if it were during the season, when it meant more to Auburn to have a chance at the playoff. UCF had a good team, would not have beat the teams ranked ahead of them at the end of the year.
    We’ll never know now will we. Bama is too scared to play any team like a UCF because of fear of losing, ie la Monroe. Where is Bama vs Troy or Bama vs UAB, oh let me guess they are beneath Bama. What a crock. Bottom line Bama won a NC that 13 clueless people handed to them. I bet if UCF drove up to play Bama in ATL next Saturday Bama would not be there. Enjoy your fake Natty, oh and your not even state champs. Again what a joke.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •