Thread: GNAC gets back underway

Default GNAC gets back underway

This week looks like all the funky holiday scheduling is over... Sort of comforting to know everybody is back in it, ready or not! There are some interesting games this week. Drop in comments if you want.

Tuesday:

WOU @ Concordia - Concordia needs a win badly and after watching them against the Alaska schools, I don't think they are as bad as their record indicates-they just weren't playing well. Announcer said the coaches wife just had a baby-that's probably a hard time to be welcoming a new baby in right in the heart of basketball season???

Thursday:

CWU @ SFU -

NNU @ WWU -

SPU @ UAF - I think the Alaska trip is a hard travel trip for all the schools, but this one will be hard for the Alaska schools too. SMU & SPU are first, both very good this year, and second, have already got woken up last week when they resumed play and the Alaska players have been quietly practicing away without games for a while in the dark that is the darkest time of the year here. Will they be awake and ready or will the long travel and long break lead to some ugly ball?

SMU @ UAA -

MSUB @ Concordia -

Saturday:

SMU @ UAF -

SPU @ UAA -

CWU @ WWU - This one could be good-rilvary game!

NNU @ SFU -

MSUB @ WOU -

Default Re: GNAC gets back underway

Watching the WOU-CU game, not sure why WOU's 2nd best player, Faruq-Bey, is sitting, is he hurt? Shaw is playing the new transfer guards right now (not Triano) and they're real hot and cold, not much defense ... and Ali is sitting? What planet is coach Jimmy on right now?

WOU leads 38-26 at half, I'll take ... transfer guard clanks a wide open jumper ... ugh, sorry, just being grumpy. Ha!

Wolves win, hate to say "I told you so" (wait a sec, no, I don't hate that), but Faruq-Bey had a great game off the bench.

5. Default Re: GNAC gets back underway

Tsull... What the heck? Pull your head outa your bum. Your boys are like 12-1. F-Bey started, I see it with my own eyes on the box score, but I wouldn't say that was a great outing for him... or for the team. Most of your boys were clanking it pretty good last night, they are a little lucky that Concordia didn't catch a real hot streak. I don't know who you were blaming for clanking it, but the worst shooting was via Omlid and Trammell, followed closely by F-Bey and Chirnside. Sheeesh. You look at their roster now and they are up to 19 guys. They'd have to really point their ship south now not to make regionals and are probably sitting up with the big dogs for hosting at this point. Don't be so grumpy! You got complaints~let me just start my 30 chapter novel of complaints that nobody wants to hear.

UAF's AD just quit, leaving mid January. At this point, Durham is probably the most senior coach around campus and he's been here 7 years... If they get a new AD before Mick retires, this'll be his 3rd AD to work under. Not sure how having an AD leave mid-season impacts day-to-day affairs, but the continuing-to-loom budget issues with no leadership has got to be not great for athletics moral. Of course, I was always kind of wondering how long Dr. Gray would stick around in Fairbanks as he's glowing tan even through winter here, which is like a HUGE red flag for Fairbanksans. If you don't got brown skin and you're glowing of a fresh sun tan, you're probably not sticking around long. But I don't want to take anything away from Gray either. He did a pretty good job of holding things together here and made a few decent hires...

Stop complaining man! The only real complaint you oughta have is that WWU is playing pretty damn good right now. I'd take WOU's non-con record over WWU's any day, but the boys from Bellingham are starting to put together a string of pretty good conference wins at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
    Tsull... What the heck? Pull your head outa your bum. Your boys are like 12-1. F-Bey started, I see it with my own eyes on the box score, but I wouldn't say that was a great outing for him... or for the team. Most of your boys were clanking it pretty good last night, they are a little lucky that Concordia didn't catch a real hot streak. I don't know who you were blaming for clanking it, but the worst shooting was via Omlid and Trammell, followed closely by F-Bey and Chirnside. Sheeesh. You look at their roster now and they are up to 19 guys. They'd have to really point their ship south now not to make regionals and are probably sitting up with the big dogs for hosting at this point. Don't be so grumpy! You got complaints~let me just start my 30 chapter novel of complaints that nobody wants to hear.

UAF's AD just quit, leaving mid January. At this point, Durham is probably the most senior coach around campus and he's been here 7 years... If they get a new AD before Mick retires, this'll be his 3rd AD to work under. Not sure how having an AD leave mid-season impacts day-to-day affairs, but the continuing-to-loom budget issues with no leadership has got to be not great for athletics moral. Of course, I was always kind of wondering how long Dr. Gray would stick around in Fairbanks as he's glowing tan even through winter here, which is like a HUGE red flag for Fairbanksans. If you don't got brown skin and you're glowing of a fresh sun tan, you're probably not sticking around long. But I don't want to take anything away from Gray either. He did a pretty good job of holding things together here and made a few decent hires...

Stop complaining man! The only real complaint you oughta have is that WWU is playing pretty damn good right now. I'd take WOU's non-con record over WWU's any day, but the boys from Bellingham are starting to put together a string of pretty good conference wins at this point.
    Ha, so true ... I'll mellow out, really pleased with how the season is turning out this year.

7. Default Re: GNAC gets back underway

Tuesday:

WOU 71 @ Concordia 60 - Old man Grumpster Tsull woulda had a hay-day ranting on here if the Wolves coulda clanked it any more, but alas...

Thursday:

CWU 78 @ SFU 91 - Wow. Salam put up 40... Looks like there was not stopping him tonight!

NNU 66 @ WWU 67 - Vikings were cold as ice and the Crusaders, errr Nighthawks almost got them in Bellingham. That woulda cheered up the old Grumpster

SPU 95 @ UAF 79 - The stat sheet says that SPU shot 63% from three and that tells the story. They were up by 23 at half after shooting 83% from three in the first half. The other half of the story is that as I predicted the Nooks were dressed up like Grizzlies rather than Polar Bears tonight and were soundly sleeping in hibernation till about the final 15 of the game. SPU passed it really nicely and had great depth. They deserved to win and were fun to watch. Lets hope the Grizzlies go back into hibernation and give the Polar Bears a shot on Saturday.

SMU 71 @ UAA 66 - Chavez and co. get it done in Anchortown. Where the heck are UAA's trio of DI drop-down seniors? Doesn't look like SMU did anything special other than shoot it decently and pass it well.

MSUB 83 @ Concordia 70 -

Saturday:

SMU @ UAF -

SPU @ UAA -

CWU @ WWU - This one could be good-rilvary game!

NNU @ SFU -

MSUB @ WOU -
    Glad to see you can take a little heat there Tsull. Perspective man, perspective!

Glad to see you can take a little heat there Tsull. Perspective man, perspective!
    Ha, good one! Yes, NNU upset of the Evil Empire would've made my weekend, to be honest. So close, wonder if there was some home cookin' in Bellingham? SFU-CWU score surprised me, as did UAA getting beat at home, though I think St. Martin's is pretty good this year. Concordia is an I-5 version of NNU, just when you think things might be swinging their way, they get the door slammed on them.

NNU effort gives me hope for the Nighthawks, I'll be catching at least one of the Alaska games next week.

9. Default Re: GNAC gets back underway

Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    Ha, good one! Yes, NNU upset of the Evil Empire would've made my weekend, to be honest. So close, wonder if there was some home cookin' in Bellingham? SFU-CWU score surprised me, as did UAA getting beat at home, though I think St. Martin's is pretty good this year. Concordia is an I-5 version of NNU, just when you think things might be swinging their way, they get the door slammed on them.

NNU effort gives me hope for the Nighthawks, I'll be catching at least one of the Alaska games next week.
    I wasn't *that* surprised by SFU-CWU score. It's not that I don't think CWU has pretty good moments, it's that they don't appear to be super consistent or disciplined yet and the SFU team seems to be on a real mission to improve--their might be more than a few teams taking losses to the Canadians this year. Nor was I surprised by the UAA loss. Honestly, I don't think it's a bad thing that all their DI dropdown seniors are not playing--I think in terms of the long run, getting their younger guys minutes and time is more valuable than playing one year transfers that may or may not be DI talent regardless of it meaning they have to take some losses. They did pretty good with a younger squad and they have decent odds of making the GNAC tourney on their home turf, so I'd just as soon see them build their younger guys. But let's be honest here~I sorta, pretty much despise Anchorage and am just waiting for the day that the Nooks find a team psychologist who can get them playing decently against UAA. I read the UAA article and it said that Lampkin & Ursery are injured and the other was out with academics. *Today* I'm of the opinion that SPU & SMU are the 3 & 4 teams in the GNAC, but I haven't seen CWU or NNU yet and the season is young, so Anchorage could claw in for one of those spots-coach Osborne usually finds a way to win some important ones, despite how much I like him or don't.

Dude... Go to the NNU/UAF game next week, for sure! I was thinking of making that my travel trip of the year, but other things got in the way and I'll have to wait till later this season to follow the boys for a weekend. Don't go watch those Anchorage guys, watch the Polar Bears!!! If any UAF guys pull shenanigans you'll easily be able to bait me into a midseason dispute and that is way more fun than trying to bait the Anchorage fanbase on here into a dispute... Right?

I wasn't *that* surprised by SFU-CWU score. It's not that I don't think CWU has pretty good moments, it's that they don't appear to be super consistent or disciplined yet and the SFU team seems to be on a real mission to improve--their might be more than a few teams taking losses to the Canadians this year. Nor was I surprised by the UAA loss. Honestly, I don't think it's a bad thing that all their DI dropdown seniors are not playing--I think in terms of the long run, getting their younger guys minutes and time is more valuable than playing one year transfers that may or may not be DI talent regardless of it meaning they have to take some losses. They did pretty good with a younger squad and they have decent odds of making the GNAC tourney on their home turf, so I'd just as soon see them build their younger guys. But let's be honest here~I sorta, pretty much despise Anchorage and am just waiting for the day that the Nooks find a team psychologist who can get them playing decently against UAA. I read the UAA article and it said that Lampkin & Ursery are injured and the other was out with academics. *Today* I'm of the opinion that SPU & SMU are the 3 & 4 teams in the GNAC, but I haven't seen CWU or NNU yet and the season is young, so Anchorage could claw in for one of those spots-coach Osborne usually finds a way to win some important ones, despite how much I like him or don't.

Dude... Go to the NNU/UAF game next week, for sure! I was thinking of making that my travel trip of the year, but other things got in the way and I'll have to wait till later this season to follow the boys for a weekend. Don't go watch those Anchorage guys, watch the Polar Bears!!! If any UAF guys pull shenanigans you'll easily be able to bait me into a midseason dispute and that is way more fun than trying to bait the Anchorage fanbase on here into a dispute... Right?
    Good report. Looks like I'll miss both games this week, going to Seattle next weekend, meeting up with some friends to see if WOU can get its 7th straight win over SPU; want to go to the NNU-UAF game, but (maybe foolishly) took a night job with a local rec center helping with youth hoops, luckily the gig only lasts a month or so. This job has dug into my GNAC hoop watching, unfortunately, especially since NNU has been on the road forever and I'm missing both games.