Thread: Wolves crush UAA

Contribute to D2

Default Wolves crush UAA

Helps to shoot 66% from the field and 46% from 3-point land; and to hold the opponent to 27 percent (19% from 3) -- good balanced attack for the Wolves. Nice to see Faruq-Bey back and to see Nestell hit three 3's off the bench. Could be a fun team this year.

http://www.wouwolves.com/boxscore.as...mbball&id=2766

2. Default Re: Wolves crush UAA

Geeez. They are ridiculously deep... Bouman is regularly scoring more points than he plays minutes. Just look at the minute distribution! Sheeesh. I still don't get how they got crushed by WWU-would have been interesting to see how that happened.

The Nooks are playing a bit sharper than in early season, but they will have to be even sharper offensively and defensively nearly perfect to stay in it with the Wolves. They are starting to develop a little bit of depth in their rotation and they seem to be able to rely on more than a few players for scoring now. I have no idea how they are going to respond to the athleticism and defensive energy of WOU... A few weeks ago, I'd say good luck keeping it within 40, but now I'm slightly more optimistic that they can reel it in and maybe keep it on the close side of a blow out? We'll see. Although I'm always eager to see Omlid and his destruction, this time, I'm eager to see the Kluting/Lendway/Wilder vs Chirnside/Bouman/Hawken matchups. The UAF bigs are pretty physical and they'll have to watch their fouls--it'll be interesting to see how they respond to some very talented bigs to go one on one with. UAF is just getting a handle on their turnovers now--I'm sure WOU will have studied that and be laying on some pressure at crucial moments, so I hope the boys can keep their heads about them!

It'll also be interesting to see how Concordia and UAA bounce back. Concordia are obviously better than they played, I could see that-might be a good game there too... Okay--that's what I always say, I know!

Default Re: Wolves crush UAA

Great win by UAF over Concordia. The Cavaliers are a solid program so that's a big road win. Not sure on these Sunday games, though it might have been done for travel/Christmas break, etc., the attendance at both the WOU and Concordia games were weak.

I am impressed by WOU's depth when a Gonazaga transfer isn't starting. Shaw has done a nice job recruiting. That said, tonight's game will be a tough one, IMO. I'm sure UAF is feeling ignited by a good road win in Portland.

4. Default Re: Wolves crush UAA

Not really a "tough one", but thanks for the pre-game respect... Just looking at the stats now--doesn't look terrible for the Nooks. They managed to keep it right on the line of a blowout. A few more rebounds and a few less unforced errors, and they might have been able to keep it within 10. It just looks really hard to beat a team that deep--so many lightning fast guys and 3 point shooters. I have no idea why Boumann left PLNU or why Looney let him leave-very talented. The only thing that is sort of apparent when observing the Wolves is that they play so many guys that you don't really get to see guys get way into it or invested in a way you get when you are super tired or emotionally invested. Perhaps that's not the right observation, but I wonder how many of those guys wish they could play more so they could do more than make a few plays, pick and pop and go take a break. I know you have mentioned that in the last few years too-about thinking slightly smaller rosters would be better. Too much talent is a good problem to have, but it'll be interesting to see how this uber-roster recruiting style works out for Shaw. I thought it was funny tonight when the announcer was studying the UAF roster and wondering for quite a while what UAF would do in 2 years when they lost most of their roster... Ummmm news flash--this is Fairbanks--we don't worry about balanced recruiting classes, we just take whatever stray puppies we can get. We're not lining up the Gonzaga drop-downs up here man. Worry about something else, cause we're worried about next week, not 2 years from now.

I didn't follow the game tonight, but agree with your points. I'm not fond of huge rosters, but here we are. I enjoyed the many-minutes guys on WOU's final 4 team. But it's nice to have low post depth -- I think Boumann didn't get as many minutes at Point Loma. Looks like fine guard Berg is redshirting, at least I hope so.

* Every time I get pumped about NNU, they let me down. They got buried by CWU tonight.

I didn't see the game, tsull. But it must have been about like the NNU-WOU game but with shoe on other foot. UAA was without Lampkin who is basically averaging a double double (15 and 10), so that hurt. With Lampkin and another month of playing together, I would expect it to be a far more competitive game in Anchorage. I suppose it would be possible for WOU to shoot 66% from the field in Anchorage, but I would take the under.

7. Default Re: Wolves crush UAA

Some statistical facts that might clarify what happened in Monmouth:

http://files.streamlinehosting.net/g...2/confldrs.htm

Scoring Offense:
    1) WWU - 88.3
    2) WOU - 87.4
    11) UAA - 61.7

FG%:
    1) WOU - 0.522
    11) UAA - 0.396%

3 pt FG%:
    1) WOU - 0.418
    11) UAA - 0.243

These are all games (including the cream-puff games), cause there hasn't really been enough GNAC games to have a clear picture. This pretty much sums up what happened. It's true, the road is a hard place to play and games later this season will be better, probably, but not if these stats don't change. UAF has been trounced by WOU & UAA on the road. WOU was trounced by WWU on the road. UAA was trounced by WOU on the road.

Not saying WOU hasn't player extremely well this year, and hasn't been the better teams. They have been one of the top teams in the west region so far. However, UAA stats also include 3 D1 games, not just cream puffs, and they also happen to lead the GNAC in scoring defense. Check out talismanred.com and you will find that WOU is ranked 20th and UAA 39th out of 309 teams. WOU has the 2nd highest rating in the west region; and UAA the 6th. My point it that this was a good game for WOU and a poor one for UAA. These teams are closer than your statistics and the score the other night imply.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_AK View Post
    Not saying WOU hasn't player extremely well this year, and hasn't been the better teams. They have been one of the top teams in the west region so far. However, UAA stats also include 3 D1 games, not just cream puffs, and they also happen to lead the GNAC in scoring defense. Check out talismanred.com and you will find that WOU is ranked 20th and UAA 39th out of 309 teams. WOU has the 2nd highest rating in the west region; and UAA the 6th. My point it that this was a good game for WOU and a poor one for UAA. These teams are closer than your statistics and the score the other night imply.
    Correct, I doubt WOU will shoot 66% from the field in another game this year, just like when Omlid had goose-eggs almost across the entire stat line in Bellingham, that's not happening again either. It's a game-to-game thing, usually. I expect UAA to give WOU all it can handle in Anchorage.