Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Official IUP Offseason Thread

Contribute to D2

Default Official IUP Offseason Thread

As BigIndians has said multiple times already, when one season ends, another one begins. So here we are.

I figured we could start a thread and use it to talk shop regarding the offseason. They were close, but what's it going to take to kick down that final door?

-What's everyone looking for as far as recruiting and wish lists? I know there are some offers out there. If you navigate twitter well enough you can find them.

-Key losses?

-Where do they need to get better overall? Certain players in particular maybe?

-Predictions on guys that may not be back?

Ashland is up next. Interested to hear everyone's thoughts as we navigate that long road through the winter, spring, and summer until we get to Saturday, September 1st 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Official IUP Offseason Thread

Losing Max Redfield is a huge loss. That guy makes a difference and teams have to game plan for guys like him. Good luck replacing a guy like him. Legit high draft prospect players don't come to D2 often.

Max was an anomaly. You don't replace him.

The last impact import like Max at IUP was Dennis Mims on the basketball side 15 years ago.

It's probably time to starting looking at a QB to train under Lenny for his last year. I know ADP is still in the mix but can they actually trust him?

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The last impact import like Max at IUP was Dennis Mims on the basketball side 15 years ago.

It's probably time to starting looking at a QB to train under Lenny for his last year. I know ADP is still in the mix but can they actually trust him?
    Dennis Mims... One of Gary Edwards transfers that was a great player but off the court, YIKES!!!

Do what Tort said last spring - get big up front. They have done an excellent job finding FCS+ running backs who flew under the radar for various reasons and excelled at IUP. Extrapolate that to the rest of the team.

Mims off the court ... yeah.

But he was of the Max level as a D2 transfer. Dominant ... changed the game.

A lot of credit goes to Curt. This team was well stocked. A testament to that was how a huge chuck of last years haul red-shirted. It's not a coincidence the best programs redshirt nearly everybody. When you can do that it's such a massive advantage. Most freshmen are no where near ready and essentially waste a year. Justice and Duane ... that just doesn't happen often. Put kids in for a year to develop and then have four years on the field. Huge.

Keep adding some high school linemen. Get them on the serious training program, bulk up and keep the pipeline stocked.

Tort is going to get transfer inquiries out the ying yang over the next 60 days. He just has to pick the right ones.

Currently, neither ADP or Hankins is on the Roster. Also Zaire Willis is not on the roster either.

Losing the big guys in the middle of the DL is also a problem. Averette, Weldon and Diven are gone. The Freshman DL from State College isn't currently on the roster either.

I'm hoping a few of these guys get back on the roster by Spring.

What was the situation with Hankins? I never knew he wasn't on the roster. In fact, word was he was practicing all year. At least that's what I was told. Could be totally off the grid on that though. People said same athleticism as Lenny, but better passer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Random Thoughts: Interested to know Hankins status. I know they wanted him to focus on academics his first year. There is another QB on the roster, Jake Rodman, who has really been under the radar. Great HS stats and fairly good-sized. I think he was All-State in NY. Watching Justice Evans instincts all year it's hard to believe he wasn't a running back in HS. Finally, Max Redfield was an anomaly, as mentioned previously. Frankly, he was on the team specifically for these playoff games and that part didn't work out. Redfield was a bonus, not talent you can get every year.

I think you have to start with getting bigger and better on the offensive line. What was a dominant OL all season long got taken to school on Saturday. Everything starts there. I also think that the last few years, they've had issues with depth and staying healthy on the defensive line. I think that needs corrected. I don't know what the answer is ultimately, but it seems as though the first thing to always go downhill on their defense is the pass rush and D line in general.

You can never have enough linemen. Nature of the beast you're going to lose them as the year goes along. They are big and get knocked from every direction and have fellow 'big uglies' rolling in to them sideways, etc. Nasty position.

If there's a transfer budget ... I'd put the heavy money in both lines. They have enough skill guys to take a high school class of them and they can develop for two years down the road. Line-wise, they need ready-to-play guys.

The transfer recruiting cycle is long. The first wave is already out there. Then comes the second wave after spring ball and players are irritated by depth charts. Then the spring grades come out for yet another wave. The final wave over the summer is typically the misbehaving boys.

IUP took some massive losses -- many before the season even began. They are on the right track. I clearly see Tort enhancing his current donor list and also adding many newcomers to it. They have to get up to that full financial allotment. That's the final piece of the puzzle.

BOY, I was waiting for this thread. Nothing like Christmas two weeks early. An IUP offseason thread. I love it.

If there's a transfer budget ... I'd put the heavy money in both lines. ... They have to get up to that full financial allotment.
    Yep, that's the best investment. Try to get guys who are moving into their third year of the foosball and are ready to play. Getting up to 36 equivalencies would certainly help.

Start by getting an actual OC and run a real offense. And stop relying on a Rb playing Qb to turn into joe Montana when things break down when you guys have known since he got into town his arm is average at very best. Defense scheme is fine just need plug in players. But you guys are going nowhere with that offense scheme when talent is EQUAL.

Default Official IUP Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PSAChomer01 View Post
    Start by getting an actual OC and run a real offense. And stop relying on a Rb playing Qb to turn into joe Montana when things break down when you guys have known since he got into town his arm is average at very best. Defense scheme is fine just need plug in players. But you guys are going nowhere with that offense scheme when talent is EQUAL.

Kier threw a paper airplane but it got intercepted.
    Last edited by IUPNation; 12-11-2017 at 07:09 PM.

I think Keir just got picked again up in Worcester.

I'd suggest Homer start a Cal thread but it would be just him babbling to himself -- likely mostly about IUP -- until next August. He could use a couple of his screen aliases ... call it a Cal party ... Get the whole delusional gang together.

I think Keir just got picked again up in Worcester.

I'd suggest Homer start a Cal thread but it would be just him babbling to himself -- likely mostly about IUP -- until next August. He could use a couple of his screen aliases ... call it a Cal party ... Get the whole delusional gang together.
    Heard Lenny has been fumbling snaps all over campus. Heard his hands actually have been slowly turning into bricks which explains why he makes throwing a simple pass look like rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by PSAChomer01 View Post
    Heard Lenny has been fumbling snaps all over campus. Heard his hands actually have been slowly turning into bricks which explains why he makes throwing a simple pass look like rocket science.
    Heard Lenny played in the national semifinals two days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    Heard Lenny played in the national semifinals two days ago.
    Yeah heard he put on amazing performance. 9/18 86 yards. You guys keep talking about what you need to do next year. But none of you IUP folks have the GUTS to say it. LENNY was the one holding you guys back from winning with his inability to perform with his arm when it counts.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    I think you have to start with getting bigger and better on the offensive line. What was a dominant OL all season long got taken to school on Saturday. Everything starts there. I also think that the last few years, they've had issues with depth and staying healthy on the defensive line. I think that needs corrected. I don't know what the answer is ultimately, but it seems as though the first thing to always go downhill on their defense is the pass rush and D line in general.
    Redshirt DL Mitchell is going to be a monster, look for him to step right in, OL hated to go against him in practice, believe he was a partial qualifier so he could not play in 2017. He would of been in rotation with other DL for sure....Transfer WR that is also a dangerous return guy should be Tort's top priority. After watching how Assumption guy can change a game IUP needs to get one for sure. Can not even remember last time we too KR to the house. Transfer trigger might also work a young one come in and learn for one year red shirt if u can...OL just fine, the addition of Willis at OG is like getting back a major baller. They have like 8 guys and I thought they did fine in the playoffs. Defense a transfer safety would be top priority, a playmaker type, should be fine at CB with young freshman they redshirted and Davis/Makle/Stevens....

Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast