Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Official IUP Offseason Thread

Default Re: Official IUP Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    Against the PSAC, with this roster, any serviceable QB wins alot of games. I'm thinking of the last two games last year. you gotta admit, 24 -42 - 4, 189 yds, considering the number of screens, is not much of a passing offense. I've already got my December Home tickets, I'd like to travel the last game.
    To discount the play and contribution of Lenny even against the PSAC is laughable, HE is a main reason if not THE main reason for the success of the past 3 seasons. Admit he didn't have a great playoff run but there is a lot more that goes into the passing game than just what he does, perhaps as much as anything the recieving corp was exposed in those games. I don't recall him missing a lot of wide open recievers. My biggest issue with Lenny in the playoffs wasn't so much the passing game as it was of him just flat out dropping good snaps especially vs WFL ... if he just catches those 3 or 4 snaps he dropped that game is much different. Good thing is that problem is easily fixed and most likely will not repeat itself. If the staff addresses the REAL questions this team has going forward (and they will) and Lenny is able to stay healthy I look for another extemely successful season.

2. Default Re: Official IUP Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BallHawkin View Post
    To discount the play and contribution of Lenny even against the PSAC is laughable, HE is a main reason if not THE main reason for the success of the past 3 seasons. Admit he didn't have a great playoff run but there is a lot more that goes into the passing game than just what he does, perhaps as much as anything the recieving corp was exposed in those games. I don't recall him missing a lot of wide open recievers. My biggest issue with Lenny in the playoffs wasn't so much the passing game as it was of him just flat out dropping good snaps especially vs WFL ... if he just catches those 3 or 4 snaps he dropped that game is much different. Good thing is that problem is easily fixed and most likely will not repeat itself. If the staff addresses the REAL questions this team has going forward (and they will) and Lenny is able to stay healthy I look for another extemely successful season.

You guys also have to look at the IUP line a bit in those last two playoff games. Lenny had much more pressure than he was accustomed to. Look at what national champion Texas A&M Commerce brought to the equation in the way of O and D line play. How do you think IUP would have stacked up against them? Why do you think that Tort wants to get bigger and stronger in the trenches? Because while you can win a PSAC and even a region title with what our lines were, the sledding gets markedly tougher the further you go. Remember North Dakota State in '90? Why do you think a great IUP team lost 51-11? The lines are where games are very often won and lost. Why do you think the NFC won 13 consecutive Super Bowls over the AFC from 1984-1996. Because their lines were so much dominant.

Everyone should enjoy and be very grateful to have Lenny while we still do. IUP has never quite had a QB like him with all that he brings to the position.

-

3. Default Re: Official IUP Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

You guys also have to look at the IUP line a bit in those last two playoff games. Lenny had much more pressure than he was accustomed to. Look at what national champion Texas A&M Commerce brought to the equation in the way of O and D line play. How do you think IUP would have stacked up against them? Why do you think that Tort wants to get bigger and stronger in the trenches? Because while you can win a PSAC and even a region title with what our lines were, the sledding gets markedly tougher the further you go. Remember North Dakota State in '90? Why do you think a great IUP team lost 51-11? The lines are where games are very often won and lost. Why do you think the NFC won 13 consecutive Super Bowls over the AFC from 1984-1996. Because their lines were so much dominant.

Everyone should enjoy and be very grateful to have Lenny while we still do. IUP has never quite had a QB like him with all that he brings to the position.

-
    Yep, and though not an excuse, that pressure he was under most likely contributed to him dropping some of those snaps. Lenny will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BallHawkin View Post
    Yep, and though not an excuse, that pressure he was under most likely contributed to him dropping some of those snaps. Lenny will be fine.
    It did. I can still him looking over the line and trying to drop back as soon as the ball was snapped. He obviously took his eye of the ball in those situations. And I will maintain forever, that Lenny is a better passer than he gets credit for being, I agree 100% that Lenny will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPMonk View Post
    It did. I can still him looking over the line and trying to drop back as soon as the ball was snapped. He obviously took his eye of the ball in those situations. And I will maintain forever, that Lenny is a better passer than he gets credit for being, I agree 100% that Lenny will be fine.
    Lenny is the reason IUP went so far. He'll be fine, he's a leader.

6. Default Re: Official IUP Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

-
    That line rushed for almost 700 yards in 2 playoff games and let up around 11 sacks on the season, averaging about 1 per game.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonHawks07 View Post
    That line rushed for almost 700 yards in 2 playoff games and let up around 11 sacks on the season, averaging about 1 per game.
    I think the point was, if I'm not mistaken, the line is good for the PSAC, and other teams - however, when you get past the regional matches, you need bigger lineman on both offense and defense in order to win. The match against West Florida and to an extent Assumption proved that point, as there was less pressure on defense (more yards for opposing teams) and more pressure on Lenny (fewer yards/touchdowns/more drops/lower completion rate/more fumbles/etc).

The Oline moves are all about success deep into the playoffs, not about the PSAC or Region.

Major lesson learned from the past post season.

Win at the line of scrimmage. On both sides.

9. Default Re: Official IUP Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by IUsuallyPonder View Post
    I think the point was, if I'm not mistaken, the line is good for the PSAC, and other teams - however, when you get past the regional matches, you need bigger lineman on both offense and defense in order to win. The match against West Florida and to an extent Assumption proved that point, as there was less pressure on defense (more yards for opposing teams) and more pressure on Lenny (fewer yards/touchdowns/more drops/lower completion rate/more fumbles/etc).
    You obviously do not know football.

Gotta love the off-season arguments.

I'll stick to what I said all along. West Florida just had 'more' better players. Players 1-22 were probably pretty equal. Players 23-50 went to WFU.

The gap wasn't gigantic but big enough. It's imperative to get up to those 36 equivalencies. Depth wins. Your 22 starters on opening night likely won't be your 22 in the playoffs. And, so long as WFU stays in D2, they will keep getting stronger.

That IUP team last year was its own worst enemy many times. WFU was just finally a team strong off to hold them off. IUP made a living off of waking up after slow starts. They came out flat in both the Assumption and WFU games.

Who knows why Lenny couldn't hold on to the ball. It does't really matter now. Maybe the line was giving too much push and it got in his head. Maybe he just needed some stick 'em on his hands. Whatever the reason ... it was a killer.

Well, I'd say the O-line did pretty good against UWF, particularly in the second half when they went up tempo. They Dominated Assumption. I'd say Ashland was better than Assumption. Passing was pretty good there. Got much worse against Assumption, and IUP stopped calling pass plays against UWF - the one TD pass to Wuestner he had all the time in the world. Receivers exposed, or dinged ? Bad reads, bad day, who knows. probably lots of things, but Lenny's play, and in particular the passing game, could have been better. Lenny will be fine ? sure. Is his bad day better than most peoples good day, sure, Can he get to a higher level ? - without a doubt. missing Spring practice to rehab had to have an impact - I'd expect he'll be better next year. BUT, there have been many star players that seem to have mediocre senior seasons - senioritis is a real thing. What he does is important for the late season.

This was posted in the national thread but is pretty interesting. D2 football saw the biggest decline in attendance for 2017.

http://footballscoop.com/news/ncaa-f...ss-board-2017/

West Florida wasn’t 24-0 better than IUP. But they were better. The final score said that, so did the eye test on the field. IUP’s last two games, I think we all can agree, were against good teams. Those pitches and outside runs that generated 7 yards a carry against Assumption, picked up 2-3 against West Florida. That’s a well coached and prepared team, but that’s also one that’s athletic.

The screen game that was so effective all year and against Assumption, simply didn’t work against West Florida. They were prepared for what was coming at them and they were just as athletic.

Assumption’s OL got a decent push against IUP. West Florida got a big one.

There was Assumption. There was West Florida. IUP was somewhere in between.

West Florida doesn’t beat IUP 10 out of 10 times. But IUP probably only wins 4-5 of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    West Florida wasn’t 24-0 better than IUP. But they were better. The final score said that, so did the eye test on the field. IUP’s last two games, I think we all can agree, were against good teams. Those pitches and outside runs that generated 7 yards a carry against Assumption, picked up 2-3 against West Florida. That’s a well coached and prepared team, but that’s also one that’s athletic.

The screen game that was so effective all year and against Assumption, simply didn’t work against West Florida. They were prepared for what was coming at them and they were just as athletic.

Assumption’s OL got a decent push against IUP. West Florida got a big one.

There was Assumption. There was West Florida. IUP was somewhere in between.

West Florida doesn’t beat IUP 10 out of 10 times. But IUP probably only wins 4-5 of them.

Agree with you again 24 - West Florida was not THAT MUCH better than IUP, especially missing their top defender and one of their top pass rusher.

I honestly believe West Florida did us a favor. Many of us, myself included, would have shelled out a lot of money 10 days before Christmas to go to Kansas City for the national championship. And honestly, we wouldn’t have been happy about that after the fact. Wouldn’t have been happy about midway through the first quarter likely.

Texas A&M Commerce routes IUP. Don’t believe IUP is ever really even in it knowing what we now know about IUP, West Florida, and A&M Commerce. I believe the best team in D2 last year won it. No flukes or poor matchups aided one team versus another. I watched a couple of their games in the reg season and playoffs. That was a great football team. I was one of the few on this board to pick them in back to back weeks on the road against Central Washington and Mankato. But that’s irrelevant now. I didn’t win the “pick em.”

16. Default Re: Official IUP Offseason Thread

[QUOTE=ShoNuff;2178294]Agree with you again 24 - West Florida was not THAT MUCH better than IUP, especially missing their top defender and one of their top pass rusher.[/QUOTE

In addition to those two, Diamond Jones didn't play in that game either further depleting the defensive line.

17. Default Re: Official IUP Offseason Thread

Correct. I certainly did not mean to disparage the IUP line as they were an outstanding unit. I was merely suggesting what it takes to make it all the way up the hill, so to speak. There are good lines and then there are lines that win national titles.

-

I think the pieces are there with this group. They just need to get stronger this offseason. Some of the pieces they brought in will help with that and add some depth.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    I think the pieces are there with this group. They just need to get stronger this offseason. Some of the pieces they brought in will help with that and add some depth.

I am really looking forward to how this team does going forward. It'll be interesting to see how the players from the Curt Era and the new Tort Administration gel together. I think the talent is there (and more to come). Again, it's imperative to get up to the 36 FTE Scholarships. If you want to go deep into the playoffs, you not only need great starting 22, but also backups that can maintain their play at a high level.

I'm not as confident as many on here in regard to talking home playoff games already.

That team in WV didn't go away. Cal will be tough. SRU is getting better. We gained some respect for the NE10 and also Findlay.

IUP has to play at Ashland, Cal and Gannon next season. I can't even remember the last time IUP won at Adamson Stadium.

I know Gannon is what it is but after this past year that's going to be a tough road trip.

One at a time.