Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheyney Dropping Football

Default Cheyney Dropping Football

Per Neil Geoghegan on Twitter, sports reporter for the Daily Local at 2:56pm

"Head coach Chris Roulhac just confirmed that Cheyney is dropping football. It ends a tradition dating back 63 years. Wolves overall record: 91-501-5."

2. Default Re: Cheyney Dropping Football

Default Re: Cheyney Dropping Football

Well, there you have it.

So does this mean that Cheyney will have to leave D2 as well? This will only leave them with 3 men's teams unless they add a new sport.

"Division II institutions have to sponsor at least five sports for men and five for women, (or four for men and six for women), with two team sports for each gender, and each playing season represented by each gender." http://www.ncaa.org/about/who-we-are...classification

They could easily add another men's sport that costs a lot less. For their sake I worry about the cost of tuition revenue going out the door along with the football program.

6. Default Re: Cheyney Dropping Football

Not surprised and unfortunately needed to happen. Everyone knows Cheney's financial challenges.

It will be interesting to see what the conference does. If they league office is proactive, could get those opens spots filled with teams versus the other conferences(Mountain East, NE-10...).

For PSAC schools, Cheyney was a bye week and held no value. Other conferences can look at this as a resume booster for playoff time, instead of having a bye date in the middle of the season.

(Makes too much sense, though)

8. Default Re: Cheyney Dropping Football

With one less conference game will the PSAC schedule line up with other leagues to have crossover games? Those leagues would start conf play one week before we do

Will the PSAC or Cheyney help some of these good football players find other programs?

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Will the PSAC or Cheyney help some of these good football players find other programs?
    I hope that they do. I know that the games got out of hand but I thought there were some good players there and that entire team played hard no matter the score. I commend the staff for the work they did there. It's a shame.

It's just an unfortunate situation--but one we all saw coming for a long time. I won't be surprised if we see another team or two drop from the PSAC over the next decade.

12. Default Re: Cheyney Dropping Football

Inevitable. Long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by BallHawkin View Post
    I hope that they do. I know that the games got out of hand but I thought there were some good players there and that entire team played hard no matter the score. I commend the staff for the work they did there. It's a shame.
    Agreed. Just going down roster there is 50 or so FR and So.(obviously we know they all don't dress.) Hopefully, they will be given the chance to play at another program. You have to feel bad for those kids and the coaching staff.

Alvernia starting a D3 program could use the numbers, but that's also a private school tuition.

14. Default Re: Cheyney Dropping Football

The rumor is the league will go after Shepard? But didn't that league build in a pretty substantial buyout to get out of league?

As a result, 3 west schools have a 9 game schedule, along with the East, filling dates in October will be virtually once league play starts?

15. Default Re: Cheyney Dropping Football

Quote Originally Posted by Wcball00 View Post
    Per Neil Geoghegan on Twitter, sports reporter for the Daily Local at 2:56pm

"Head coach Chris Roulhac just confirmed that Cheyney is dropping football. It ends a tradition dating back 63 years. Wolves overall record: 91-501-5."
    A .157 win pct. Some tradition...

Quote Originally Posted by VoiceOfReason View Post
    The rumor is the league will go after Shepard? But didn't that league build in a pretty substantial buyout to get out of league?

As a result, 3 west schools have a 9 game schedule, along with the East, filling dates in October will be virtually once league play starts?
    I would love to see Shepherd come aboard. Don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    I would love to see Shepherd come aboard. Don't see it happening.
    Never ever happen, the flagship of a brand new league, why would they, they have a lay up to the playoffs every year....

18. Default Re: Cheyney Dropping Football

Quote Originally Posted by IUP412 View Post
    Never ever happen, the flagship of a brand new league, why would they, they have a lay up to the playoffs every year....
    Shepherd resembles more of a PSAC school than it resembles the average MEC school. The key to getting Shepherd isn't the football program, it's getting all of their sports in the PSAC, in my opinion.

Sad to hear this, but I can't say this is surprising. Cheyney's survival as a university is tenuous, and funding a football team was an extra cost the school really couldn't afford.

Schools the PSAC could target include:

*Lincoln - obviously they aren't competitive in football, but they certainly fit the footprint and their travel would be reduced dramatically.
    *LIU-Post - they were part of the PSAC previously and could easily do so again, especially considering they are only an affiliate member of the NE-10 in football
    *Shepherd - they are located far from the other MEC members, so the PSAC could be a better fit for them geographically
    *Bowie State - they are located far from the CIAA members, so like Shepherd the PSAC could be attractive for them, though joining with Lincoln as a pairing probably makes more sense

It is possible some other schools at the DI-AA or D3 level may have interest in moving down or up in classification and could be PSAC targets as well.

Default Cheyney Dropping Football

It was a mercy killing but a school in this much trouble can’t afford a put a foosball team on the field.

I hope they don’t bring in Lincoln. ThAt does nothing for the conference.

I wonder if The Home Office has any forewarning that this was coming.

Shepherd is not moving to the PSAC.

I just have a feeling that the state might pressure Lincoln to move to the PSAC.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast