Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the GSC blogger disrespecting IUP

Contribute to D2

Default Is the GSC blogger disrespecting IUP

Andy writes a really nice blog that I enjoyed reading and the only thing that surprised me was not that he picked WFU to win, but he is picking them to win by 9.

WFU played 6 ranked teams this year and none of them were ranked higher than #16. To their credit, WFU did blow out #16 Wingate 31-0, but if we exclude them and look at the other 5, they lost two of those and won the other three by 5, 3, and most recently 7 points. Now WFU has to travel north to temperatures in the 20's to play the #1 ranked team and he is predicting one of the largest margins of victory against ranked teams for WFU?

I think WFU is very good and he could be right but I sort of expected a much closer prediction considering the location and the ranking of the team WFU is facing. For what it's worth, Massey predicts IUP winning 29-14 and comphuterratings.com predicts IUP 28-15. Is Andy showing a lack of respect towards IUP? (nothing personal at all Andy if you read this, I think you do an outstanding job covering the GSC).

2. Default Re: Is the GSC blogger disrespecting IUP

The GSC is the SEC of Division II. Coach Tort said this and I believe it. In the 30 years of following IUP football, I always had the sense that IUP playoff teams generally were not "battle tested" because the PSAC is not regarded as a challenging conference from top to bottom. The GSC is tough and West Florida is "Battle tested". This is why he favors them by 9. If I was an outsider, I would probably say the same thing. Home field is what our advantage should be in neutralizing the GSC mystique. I don't buy the weather issue since WF's QB is from Canada, but traveling 3 weeks in a row takes a toll. Hoping for the best!

Default Re: Is the GSC blogger disrespecting IUP

Fortunately, bloggers and websites don't play on Saturday. Their role is to create message board conversation. Mission accomplished.

It wasn't disrespectful. He said it was a homer spin. And, as mentioned above, the SR1 reputation isn't exactly dazzling.

Despite the No. 1 ranking, rest assured, (nationally) IUP is seen as the fourth-best team in the final four.

But, they don't have to rely on a popularity contest or past results. They get to prove their worth starting Saturday.

All good points and to be honest, I didn't see his homer comment in the other thread when I wrote this. I hope he is wrong but I can't say that they won't win by 9...

Default Is the GSC blogger disrespecting IUP

I doubt Andy was being disrespectful. It’s not his nature. He’s just supporting his conference. Everyone is allowed to be wrong. LOL!
    Last edited by IUPNation; 12-05-2017 at 04:35 PM.

I didn't have any problem with it. Nothing unfair there, and he wrote mostly about WFU because he knows so much more about them. It didn't come across that he watched any IUP games, which I get because until this week, why would you?

If this was a College Game Day game, we could expect Lee Corso to be putting on the Argonaut helmet. The GSC has historically been the superior conference, and WFU hasn't done anything but beat the top teams in it while also winning the region. Despite having to make the trip and play in cold weather, I think any reasonable analyst would make WFU the favorite in this one. Sure, maybe nine points is too many, but I also don't consider that number to be disrespectful.

Vegas would probably have this game at WFU -3 based primarily on the strength of their conference. Alabama is technically the #4 team in the BCS playoffs, but you can bet they'll be favored no matter who they play (even GA) because it's the SEC, of course.

I'll take IUP +3 .... all day long.

At +9 I'd drop serious action.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I'll take IUP +3 .... all day long.

At +9 I'd drop serious action.
    Why do you suppose Vegas doesn't book any DII games? Too easy to get to kids to cheat the system? Just not enough knowledge of the schools? I haven't seen anything that says it's illegal, although I haven't looked too hard.

The games wouldn't get enough action to swing the lines during the week ... aka 'balance the books'

Quote Originally Posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    Why do you suppose Vegas doesn't book any DII games? Too easy to get to kids to cheat the system? Just not enough knowledge of the schools? I haven't seen anything that says it's illegal, although I haven't looked too hard.

I'm not lying, I swear to God I thought I heard a pregame announcement at Miller Stadium last weekend that suggested that it is illegal to bet on Division 2 football games.

I would say that there isn't enough coverage/knowledge of the schools.

That said though, there's a lot of people with problems that would love to get to know IUP or West Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They did make that announcement. Perhaps in my introducing a weekly bonus pick 'em involving a spread. Haha.

My buddies and I bet on every basketball game. It makes it more fun. We do a spread and then a couple over unders on players. Sad, perhaps, but it makes the games a whole lot more exciting.

Well, I don't care what any GSC blogger says, I harbor the feeling that this is the year that the PSAC returns to the national final! Wish I could be in Indiana, PA on Saturday, but I have Saturday morning family obligations; but you can bet your bottom dollar I will be at my computer come 12 noon! Go, Crimson Hawks!! Love the PSAC!

For what it's worth, compughterratings.com picks IUP to win 28-15. Of course, it also picked Assumption to win outright last week.

Quote Originally Posted by cwfenn View Post
    For what it's worth, compughterratings.com picks IUP to win 28-15. Of course, it also picked Assumption to win outright last week.
    Wasn't that a real possibility if the Assumption QB doesn't cross the line of scrimmage with a few ticks left? The computer couldn't have predicted that would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Fortunately, bloggers and websites don't play on Saturday. Their role is to create message board conversation. Mission accomplished.

It wasn't disrespectful. He said it was a homer spin. And, as mentioned above, the SR1 reputation isn't exactly dazzling.

Despite the No. 1 ranking, rest assured, (nationally) IUP is seen as the fourth-best team in the final four.

But, they don't have to rely on a popularity contest or past results. They get to prove their worth starting Saturday.
    That is not true. Go over to the General discussion page, many people are saying IUP is the clear favorite in this game. Bob Eblen also picked IUP to win.

Regarding the original post, no--picking your home team is not disrespectful. In all honesty, I think only a fan with a bit of a superiority complex would think it is disrespectful. Chill, yall. Enjoy the game. And if you win this week, you can bet a lot less people will have you as the favorite in the next game, so start to thicken up that skin now. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    I'm not lying, I swear to God I thought I heard a pregame announcement at Miller Stadium last weekend that suggested that it is illegal to bet on Division 2 football games.

I would say that there isn't enough coverage/knowledge of the schools.

That said though, there's a lot of people with problems that would love to get to know IUP or West Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You mostly heard correctly--it is against NCAA rules to bet on any playoff collegiate games, or even bet AT any collegiate football games. NCAA requires this announcement, and its only real effect is on prohibiting raffle ticket sales. Most times during the year, schools are permitted to do raffles to donate to cancer-related benefits, organ donation, etc., but that all has to stop during playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by shiplb54 View Post
    That is not true. Go over to the General discussion page, many people are saying IUP is the clear favorite in this game. Bob Eblen also picked IUP to win.

Regarding the original post, no--picking your home team is not disrespectful. In all honesty, I think only a fan with a bit of a superiority complex would think it is disrespectful. Chill, yall. Enjoy the game. And if you win this week, you can bet a lot less people will have you as the favorite in the next game, so start to thicken up that skin now. ;-)
    No superiority complex at all and the original post was not because he was picking his home team, I clearly said that is expected. The only issue I was raising is that he was predicting a two score victory when most of their other games against much lower ranked teams were either a loss or a 1 score win. But in all fairness, maybe he predicted 3 score wins for all those games, either way 9 points is not like saying you are going to blow someone out but I was a little surprised at the two score prediction, that was my main point.

Don't get trapped in looking at margin of victory and bogus rankings. It's fools gold. Look at strength of schedule.

IUP's margin of victory average looks a whole lot different when you take away Cheyney and Seton Hill (one combined win). There are some real weak teams in the PSAC which can make some numbers misleading when trying to compare playoff teams.

That said, as I mentioned last night, I'd take IUP +9 and fly to Vegas right now to place that bet.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPAlumn91 View Post
    No superiority complex at all and the original post was not because he was picking his home team, I clearly said that is expected. The only issue I was raising is that he was predicting a two score victory when most of their other games against much lower ranked teams were either a loss or a 1 score win. But in all fairness, maybe he predicted 3 score wins for all those games, either way 9 points is not like saying you are going to blow someone out but I was a little surprised at the two score prediction, that was my main point.
    I’ve thought you to be a pretty rational poster, so I apologize for the inference that you had a superiority complex regarding this game.

Quote Originally Posted by shiplb54 View Post
    I’ve thought you to be a pretty rational poster, so I apologize for the inference that you had a superiority complex regarding this game.
    no apology needed

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast