Thread: Humboldt State Football

Default Humboldt State Football

To all,

First of all enjoy the games today. That said.

I felt compelled to double post this both National and within the GNAC forums. Since this is such a dramatic issue that is at the forefront of everything wrong with todays collegiate educational system, total lack of institutional governance, flagrant lack of Athletic department transparency, and the arrogance of upper campus---all and I mean all at the expense of a community, a student body, 100 plus young men, their families, coaches and their families, alumni and ex green and gold players.

Yet these young men and HC Smith and staff against all odds---kept an unheard of focus and love within the program to finish at 8-2, within the top 25 all year long and as you see chose to enjoy what they could control. Great stuff, yet sick to ones stomach with what the President of HSU and its AD has gotten away with!

Default Drive On! A Season With Humboldt State Football Episode 10 CWU

If you can't get fired up about how great the youth of college small ball is, GNAC, HSU issues, what you deal with at this level and much other!

And you would not know for a moment on what or why what HSU ADMIN is self creating! Gotta love Coach Smith, staff and the character of these young men!

Big Hoss time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-8Sf1aUOjM

2. Default Re: Humboldt State Football

An op-ed from a past HSU star player and now current coach at UC Davis.

If this is not a tell all on how critical school, community, football, football family, HC Smith, coaching staff, the locker room and much more on how a school like Humboldt State can dramatically impact an individual and does for individuals for life!

This incredible op-ed in the Times Standard paper by an ex player is unreal and just incredible! This young talented man would not be where he is today---without HSU's opportunity.

This is another in a ton of examples of why HSU ADMIN and its position is corrupt. This op-ed is the real deal! And a raw and succinct first person recant on how HSU and HSU football changed Jordan's life. Thank you Jordan for sharing! Godspeed!

Football may be HSU’s best class

By Jordan McGowan

Let me paint a picture for you: a young man — 19 years old, to be exact.

This 19-year-old’s best friend has been convicted for three felonies. He has a baby and is currently in family court in an attempt to be involved in his child’s life; his only parent has just passed away and this kid must make a decision of where to accept a football scholarship to continue not only his collegiate athletics career, but more importantly his academic journey of completing his bachelor’s degree and becoming only the second male in his family to graduate from a university. He must make a decision to either leave California and lose his son or choose a small school behind the Redwood Curtain.

That was me. I had no idea what I was doing and getting myself into by telling Rob Smith I would become a Lumberjack. Moving up to Humboldt was tough, away from my son, still grieving my father’s death and I often found myself alone in the Redwood Bowl listening to music, weeping and praying. Those seats became my solace, the field my sanctuary, the game my therapy. Within weeks the bonds I built with teammates, coaches, other student-athletes and HSU’s staff and students became the family I no longer had. Humboldt became home, my teammates became family, fellow student-athletes became godparents to my children; it is simply not possible for me to imagine what my life would be like if Humboldt State Football did not give me an opportunity to grow in all these ways.

I had the great pleasure of playing with young men from all over the country, as well as other countries. Humboldt Football is the heartbeat of the community and that heartbeat, our team, taught us as young men how to love each other no matter what we looked like, where we were from and what we believed in. Love. It taught us to love each other, and correct me if I am wrong but love is definitely what is needed in today’s society.

In 2017, when the country is as divided as ever in its history behind race, religion and sexual orientation, Humboldt State Football embodies this nation’s promise. The issues we face as a country are clearly an issue in the Humboldt community as well. I cannot describe the amount of racial tension and unease you feel as a young black male in Humboldt County, especially while not on campus, but inside the locker room, under the lights of the Redwood Bowl, you find your freedom. By taking away Humboldt State Football you will be dramatically changing the number of young men of color on campus, and fostering that racial tension which we have already seen turn violent. You will have also effectively eliminated an opportunity for young men, especially of color, to break cycles of poverty and lack of education, as well a safe space where they can be judged for their talents, abilities and work ethic.

Football has taught me more than any class I’ve taken while receiving my bachelor’s and master’s degrees; football is the way that I teach young men how to be better men, fathers, husbands, brothers, uncles, friends and students. Football teaches you to be resilient and how to overcome, that life isn’t fair but you must continue to fight anyway for what you believe in, how to love people who aren’t directly related to you, look like you or believe the way you do, how to work collaboratively and to fight for something bigger than yourself.

Football has been stated teachers and professor recently as the greatest class in the country. I truly want you to understand what you would be doing by taking away Humboldt State Football, you would taking away the arguably greatest teaching tool on your campus.

As a proud Jack, teacher, coach, father, husband and man I know that my time at as a Humboldt State Football player has directly influenced who I am and why I am so passionate about empowering student-athletes.

You would not only be taking away an opportunity for future student-athletes at your university but for future athletes who would be taught, coached, guided, influenced and inspired by future Jacks who would teach the same morals, values and character traits we all are taught during our time at Humboldt.

Jordan McGowan is a recruiting and defensive assistant with UC Davis Football.

Default Re: Humboldt State Football

In my entire life, I've signed one petition on Change.org. it was the one to save Humboldt State football. Now the Change.org folks send me emails about everything, like I'm some sort of social justice warrior looking to save every tree and spotted flea.

It sucks when a good program dies for no reason. UNO lost 2 good programs and got none of the benefits that were purported to come from the moves. They were lies. I don't want to see the same thing happen to the Lumberjacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat N Mav View Post
    In my entire life, I've signed one petition on Change.org. it was the one to save Humboldt State football. Now the Change.org folks send me emails about everything, like I'm some sort of social justice warrior looking to save every tree and spotted flea.

It sucks when a good program dies for no reason. UNO lost 2 good programs and got none of the benefits that were purported to come from the moves. They were lies. I don't want to see the same thing happen to the Lumberjacks.
    THAT is what is going on at Humboldt now and why football doesnt fit their world-view any more.

5. Default Re: Humboldt State Football

A very, very interesting piece in the local paper over the weekend that just brings to light further what a corrupt and vicious series of choices by the Prez and her administration leading to and part of the "packaging" to gut HSU Football. The author was one of four that are part of the HSU Presidents cabinet.

http://www.times-standard.com/opinio...ate-is-failing

Open letter: Humboldt State is failing

By Steven Butler
    POSTED: 12/02/17, 10:03 PM PST | UPDATED: 4 HRS AGO0 COMMENTS

Ms. Rebecca D. Eisen, Chair

California State Universities

Board of Trustees

Re: Humboldt State University

Dear Ms. Eisen,

I request that you conduct a critical review of Humboldt State University. By every measure that the CSU analyzes and tracks student success and campus performance, HSU is failing:

• HSU’s student graduation rate is one of the lowest in the CSU;

• HSU’s freshman retention rate is one of the lowest in the CSU;

• HSU was the only CSU campus failing to make enrollment target for 2016;

• HSU failed to maintain a balanced budget for FY16 and FY17;

The CSU uses peer-groups to compare campus performance relative to peers. HSU was once considered a peer to the most prestigious residential campuses in the CSU. Today it is compared to the newest and smallest commuter institutions in the CSU.

Additionally, HSU’s relations with the local community is deteriorating, and the University is underperforming in fund raising and alumni relations. The public perception of HSU has declined such that it cannot attract, hire or retain experienced managers.

President Rossbacher, in a letter to the campus on Jan. 4, 2017, announced that the Athletic program at HSU was in deficit spending, and that she was hiring a consulting firm to analyze and make recommendations concerning the athletic budget. In a latter paragraph of said letter she mentions, “An important point of context is the University’s current budget situation, which includes multiple years of deficit spending and the additional challenges of an enrollment decline in 2016-17.”

Recently, the University has announced that it is considering plans to eliminate the football program. The proposed elimination of football is counterintuitive and will only exacerbate the enrollment and fiscal deficits. HSU has the second highest student fee in the CSU, and is the only institution to shift the funding of Athletics solely to student fees. While one of the campus crises is about student-athletics, the larger issue for HSU is the campus’ failure to prioritize and manage resources towards stated goals and objectives. Without a clear vision and aspirational goals, the campus drifts and all programs suffer, including Athletics. This lack of planning and increasingly poor public perception leads to HSU’s enrollment decline and fiscal instability.

I recommend that the BOT take an active role in revitalizing HSU, making it once again a quality comprehensive institution with strong academic majors in the natural and environmental sciences. HSU should be a major asset to California, as the state addresses global warming, wildfire management, water management, oceanography and alternate and sustainable energy sources.

The Chancellor should assemble a well-qualified leadership team at HSU.

The President and Cabinet of HSU should realign the academic mission and academic offerings with the goal of becoming the best comprehensive institution with emphasis in the environmental and natural resource sciences.

An environmental sustainability ethos should run through every major at HSU, strengthening the academic experience and the educational quality.

HSU’s leadership should immediately produce a three-year plan realigning the academic offerings, redesigning the organizational structure and budgeting paradigm, and upgrading facilities management and construction.

The three-year plan should include objectives that improve student success, build in student-learning outcomes, increase student enrollment and recruit new well-qualified campus managers.

HSU’s three-year plan should be publicly supported by the Chancellor and BOT.

With a focused academic mission, the public perception, student success and student enrollment will improve, and fiscal instability will balance itself. HSU could once again be a jewel in the state’s crown, an invaluable resource in educating students and serving the needs of Californians.

My concern for Humboldt State comes from my two decades at HSU as a student and retired administrator. I encourage your support of HSU and volunteer my assistance in raising my alma mater to its position as one of the best institutions in California.

Sincerely,

Steven V. Butler, Ed.D.

Steven Butler is former HSU Vice President of Student Affairs.

It's amazing that they always have enough money to hire a "consulting firm" .

Quote Originally Posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
    It's amazing that they always have enough money to hire a "consulting firm" .
    More and more schools are doing this. If I hire someone to clean my barn, I expect them to handle the crap. These administrators just want to be able to point somewhere else and say it was their fault.

The University of Minnesota is a prime example of swings and misses. At some point they need to fire the presidents, VPs and whoever else to clean house!

8. Default Re: Humboldt State Football

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    More and more schools are doing this. If I hire someone to clean my barn, I expect them to handle the crap. These administrators just want to be able to point somewhere else and say it was their fault.

The University of Minnesota is a prime example of swings and misses. At some point they need to fire the presidents, VPs and whoever else to clean house!
    Laker, what makes this process more corrupt and to use a oft phrase "so obvious you could not sell the script in Hollywood", the consultant firm strongly recommended keeping football!

Shocking to some as key insiders thought this was the ADMIN of HSU smoking gun, and the firm spent months on campus--interviewed all coaches and much other. The firms findings was adamant about how important football is to the school, community and the alumni. Even more shocking, not only did they recommend keeping football, they recommended adding scholarships to allow a already NCAA 2 respected football program a chance to have even greater success acknowledging what HC Smith and staff has done with so little schollies.

9. Default Re: Humboldt State Football

Twitter comments update at this moment with Danny who covers the Jacks for the Times-Standard and voice of the Jacks JB. This type of "German type politics/subterfuge from the 40"s" is illegal in what 48 states!

Danny Penza‏
    @penzatopaper

Danny Penza Retweeted JB Mathers

Such a bad look.Danny Penza added,
    JB Mathers

@realJBMathers
    What is known. #HumboldtState is not telling media when the Tuesday press conf will be or where it will be. All the school will say, is they will let media know by noon Tuesday. Pres Rossbacher and Interim AD Robbins, to meet with #HSUfootball coaches and players at 3pm Tuesday.

10. Default Re: Humboldt State Football

Updated as the HSU ADMIN is beyond a train wreck:

JB Mathers‏
    @realJBMathers

More
    Update! From the Chancellors office in LB. HSU will now have its press conf for the #HSUfootball decision in the Redwood Bowl at 230pm Tuesday. Everyone has been invited, hopefully good news to be announced. If not, it will be the cruelest presser in HSU history.

I'm hearing Humboldt players have all been granted releases and may seek out other schools. If so, WT's new DC and OL coaches came from Humboldt. I hope they get a good haul! We damn sure need it!

HSU is keeping its football program:

http://www.times-standard.com/genera...otball-program

Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    HSU is keeping its football program:

http://www.times-standard.com/genera...otball-program
    That is GREAT news...well done by some folks that cared a ton about the program....good on ya!! Maybe we could get a home and home with GVSU!!! That would be great!!

Early Christmas present. And the Grinch can go back to the cave. Congratulations Jacks!

On a related note, PSAC member Cheyney has cut its football program. The school's enrollment is a fraction of what it wast just a few years ago and has to get everything else in order. Historically, the school is 95-515-6 (.159) since 1946.

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    On a related note, PSAC member Cheyney has cut its football program. The school's enrollment is a fraction of what it wast just a few years ago and has to get everything else in order. Historically, the school is 95-515-6 (.159) since 1946.
    How is that going to affect the PSAC??