Thread: OT: Holy Cross

Contribute to D2

Default OT: Holy Cross

It was mentioned in the PSAC board the Holy Cross job is open. Any Assumption people know if Bob Chesney is a candidate?

Default Re: OT: Holy Cross

Quote Originally Posted by cwfenn View Post
    It was mentioned in the PSAC board the Holy Cross job is open. Any Assumption people know if Bob Chesney is a candidate?
    There have been grumblings. Assumptions AD just left late yesterday to go to Holy Cross too so that will further fuel the fire.

3. Default Re: OT: Holy Cross

wouldn't surprise me. If HC was s,art they would hire him

4. Default Re: OT: Holy Cross

I wouldn't be surprised if the AD calls Chesney about the job right after Assumption season is over. I would. I predict that Chesney will be the next head coach at Holy Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowjacketalum View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the AD calls Chesney about the job right after Assumption season is over. I would. I predict that Chesney will be the next head coach at Holy Cross.
    Um its a great question and would very surprising in deed. Coach Chesney denied a job with another D1AA school not long ago, similar to a Holy Cross in fact a better job. I would be surprised if he took it. I think for Chesney to leave it would be for a top D1 school coordinator or for a top D1 fcs school and not some sup par position. His family is in Worcester and yes I realize Holy Cross is there, but I don't think that is enough enticement. I think it has to be a top tier div 1 like Villanova or James Maddison or being an assistant like at Uconn where he can turn things around. Other than that he is faithful to Assumption. He will do it like Brian Kelly did.

6. Default Re: OT: Holy Cross

Quote Originally Posted by assumption53 View Post
    Um its a great question and would very surprising in deed. Coach Chesney denied a job with another D1AA school not long ago, similar to a Holy Cross in fact a better job. I would be surprised if he took it. I think for Chesney to leave it would be for a top D1 school coordinator or for a top D1 fcs school and not some sup par position. His family is in Worcester and yes I realize Holy Cross is there, but I don't think that is enough enticement. I think it has to be a top tier div 1 like Villanova or James Maddison or being an assistant like at Uconn where he can turn things around. Other than that he is faithful to Assumption. He will do it like Brian Kelly did.
    Good thoughts, however I'm not sure that he would go to another school unless it was a head coaching position. Do you think the thought of building a losing program such as Holy Cross or being the head coach at an already highly successful program (JMU, UNH etc) would be better?

Looks like they want to decide soon:

http://www.telegram.com/news/2017120...new-coach-soon

Looks like chesney, isn’t one of their top choices there’s few coaches ahead in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Looks like chesney, isn’t one of their top choices there’s few coaches ahead in line.
    Good news for Assumption if that’s the case and he stays.

Looks like they want to name a coach by next Wednesday:

http://www.telegram.com/news/2017120...s-football-job

11. Default Re: OT: Holy Cross

Mcgonagal AC OC has taken a job at another school, if Chesney leaves too, who knows?wouldn't be good for the program

One of their finalists is no longer in the mix:

http://www.telegram.com/news/2017121...s-football-job

13. Default Re: OT: Holy Cross

Chesney is now the coach at Holy Cross.Who will be the new coach at Assumption?
    http://www.telegram.com/news/2017121...tball-coachach
    Last edited by budman; 12-15-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by budman View Post
    Chesney is now the coach at Holy Cross.Who will be the new coach at ASSumption?
    Congrats to the coach on the D1 job and I guess he doesn't have to change houses either.

If you look around D2 these days, there aren't many coaches who stay very long if they have success. Collins and Wilkins are few and far between. East Stroudsburg in PA has a guy who's been the head coach since 1974!

Lots of changes at Assumption the last month, with the AD going, the football team losing assistants, and now the head coach moving across town. This hire will go a long way towards determining the direction of the program and possibly the athletic department. Do they have a new AD yet?

There are parellels to New Haven here (they've never had anyone there for very long), and two possibilities:

1. Going back 30 years to Whipple, he was there for 6 seasons and two playoff appearances (88-93). Sparano followed him for 5 seasons and arguably did better, with two playoff runs and the run to the championship game. Then the program went in the toilet after he left (but that's another story for another time).

2. Rossomando was there for 5 seasons as essentially an "expansion" team (2009-13), but did wonders there. Pincince, the replacement and current coach, hasn't been bad and I certainly wouldn't fire him (26-17 record in 4 seasons), but it wasn't what Rossomando did (8+ wins in 4 of 5 seasons).

For the NE10's sake, the more strong programs the better. If Assumption can continue the run they have had and if the league can have 3-4 strong programs every year, I think there will be more positive seasons like this past one.

15. Default Re: OT: Holy Cross

Quote Originally Posted by budman View Post
    Chesney is now the coach at Holy Cross.Who will be the new coach at ASSumption?
    UTool

With former Assumption AS Nick Smith now a pseudo AD at Holy Cross, this hiring isn't really surprising. And with Holy Cross being in the same town as Assumption, Chesney won't even have to move!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    With former Assumption AS Nick Smith now a pseudo AD at Holy Cross, this hiring isn't really surprising. And with Holy Cross being in the same town as Assumption, Chesney won't even have to move!!!
    Chesney was bound for bigger and better things. He was successful at D3 and then D2. Now he will have a chance at D1.

He is a solid coach and a big loss for the league. But it is the perfect move for him as it gives him a chance to succeed at the next level. He has a young family so not picking them up and moving to a new town is huge.

18. Default Re: OT: Holy Cross

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Falewicz View Post
    Chesney was bound for bigger and better things. He was successful at D3 and then D2. Now he will have a chance at D1.

He is a solid coach and a big loss for the league. But it is the perfect move for him as it gives him a chance to succeed at the next level. He has a young family so not picking them up and moving to a new town is huge.
    Any word on his replacement?