Thread: GNAC play begins...

Default GNAC play begins...

Tuesday:

UAA 65 over UAF 39... Cringe-worthy basketball up here. Nooks set a lot of records for fewest points ever tonight and they're not loading the stats, so I'm still a little concerned that we may have had more turnovers than points... Arrrrgggg. This is starting to look like a train-wreck up here. Go gentle on me this year guys!

Thursday: Not a single game looks like a sleeper. Some obvious favorites in there, but given non-con play, all these games look potentially interesting.

SMU @ CWU

SPU @ NNU

CUP @ WWU

WOU @ SFU

MSUB @ UAA

Saturday: Probably depends on what happens on Tuesday & Thursday as to what to think of these games, but the obvious big one is WOU @ WWU. Having them play this week means they'll have another showdown the last week of the season, which is always fun!

MSUB @ UAF

SPU @ CWU

WOU @ WWU

SMU @ NNU

SFU @ CUP
    Last edited by northernGNAChoopfan; 11-29-2017 at 12:30 AM.

2. Default Re: GNAC play begins...

CWU starts off with an SMU team that nearly upset UW and then upset CBU, then faces an always-tough SPU team. At least we get them at home first. That WOU/WWU game should be a thriller!

Default Re: GNAC play begins...

Quote Originally Posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
    CWU starts off with an SMU team that nearly upset UW and then upset CBU, then faces an always-tough SPU team. At least we get them at home first. That WOU/WWU game should be a thriller!
    Some good early matchups ... I'm going to SPU-NNU on Thursday, I think both teams are improved this year, especially NNU, though they've also had some tough losses.

Nice. We start down here in the PacWest with 6 games Thursday, headlined by Concordia-Chaminade. I'll be working the APU-Point Loma game Saturday. On the women's side, that is the big game this year.

Speaking of women's hoops, I'm pleasantly surprised that WOU is off to a 4-0 start after years and years of sub-standard play. Now I don't expect this to last forever, but it's a better start than most years. Getting past a round or two in the GNAC tourney would be a good step. For the record, I wasn't for firing the women's coach at WOU either, she's probably (make that most likely) working with hardly any scholarships. But this year seems better ... I'm expecting UAA women to be off the charts again in the GNAC.

6. Default Re: GNAC play begins...

Quote Originally Posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
    Tuesday:

UAA 65 over UAF 39... Cringe-worthy basketball up here. Nooks set a lot of records for fewest points ever tonight and they're not loading the stats, so I'm still a little concerned that we may have had more turnovers than points... Arrrrgggg. This is starting to look like a train-wreck up here. Go gentle on me this year guys!

Thursday: Not a single game looks like a sleeper. Some obvious favorites in there, but given non-con play, all these games look potentially interesting.

SMU 80 over CWU 75 & Chavez went off for 30.

NNU 103 over SPU 91... and yes, the *man* went off for 34 points.

WWU 99 over CUP 72 - Drechsel went off for 32 points & 17 rebounds! Anyone else notice that WWU is not starting anyone under 6'6" (wow, our tallest starter is 6'6" )

WOU 96 over SFU 71.

UAA 74 over MSUB 62

Saturday: Probably depends on what happens on Tuesday & Thursday as to what to think of these games, but the obvious big one is WOU @ WWU. Having them play this week means they'll have another showdown the last week of the season, which is always fun!

MSUB @ UAF

SPU @ CWU

WOU @ WWU

SMU @ NNU

SFU @ CUP
    Good night of ball on Thursday.

7. Default Re: GNAC play begins...

Wow. Great match-ups tonight with all the teams who lost in their openers facing other teams who lost and winners facing winners! Of course, most eyes will be on the "Westerns", but some other really good match-ups! I'll be watching the Nooks of course, but I'm real curious to hear about what goes down in Bellingham, Ellensburg, Nampa, and Burnaby too!

Quote Originally Posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
    Wow. Great match-ups tonight with all the teams who lost in their openers facing other teams who lost and winners facing winners! Of course, most eyes will be on the "Westerns", but some other really good match-ups! I'll be watching the Nooks of course, but I'm real curious to hear about what goes down in Bellingham, Ellensburg, Nampa, and Burnaby too!
    I predict all of the home teams win tonight with the exception of St. Martin's stealing a road win at Nampa, ID vs. the NNU Crusaders (I know they changed their nickname but I can't remember it).

Should be hotly contested games for sure though as all of the teams want to go into Xmas break with a league win fresh on their minds.

9. Default Re: GNAC play begins...

Nighthawks!

Nighthawks win big over SMU; Wolves getting buried by Evil Empire.

11. Default Re: GNAC play begins...

And CWU blew a 13 point HT lead to SPU in OT. Shabazz the freshman missed 4 free-throws in the final minute of regulation what gave SPU new life. Fuquan Niles had 9 blocks though, 2nd most in GNAC history.

12. Default Re: GNAC play begins...

Wow I see Omlid and Hawken were both shut down as well as Trammell. This is going to be an interesting season.

13. Default Re: GNAC play begins...

NNU 97 over SMU 67 ~ Perhaps being a Nighthawk is proving to be better than a Crusader? Whatever, it looks like Idaho might be a tough place to play this season... Sounds like their new coach is working out nicely!

SFU 68 over CUP 60 ~ Pankratz vs Edward would not have been one that would have gone in SFU's favor in years past, but it looks like his preseason GNAC team nomination is proving true. Way to go SFU!

SPU 84 over CWU 83 in OT ~ Ouch. That sounds like a hard way to lose CWU!!!

WWU 85 over WOU 58 ~ Wow. Nobody saw that coming. Drechsel gets another double-double and should surely be the POTW. Is he the PG when he starts? He was a forward last year.... Wow.

UAF 88 over MSUB 80 ~ This is the Nooks team that I haven't met this year and I like this version way better! Team effort and everyone looked so much better tonight. Kimble was hard to defend in the lane tonight!

And lv2hoop proves somebody from Anchorage is still here with us and gets 3/5 right! I would agree with CWU Wildcat Nation that it's going to be an interesting season!

Quote Originally Posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
    Wow I see Omlid and Hawken were both shut down as well as Trammell. This is going to be an interesting season.
    Omlid can't go scoreless and have the Wolves win. Hawken? He shouldn't either, but Omlid is their best player and that can't happen ... easily the worst game of his fine WOU career.

Also, for people who are completely baffled by one name change in the conference and saying what are they calling themselves this week, it's actually very simple: They changed their name from The Crusaders to The Nighthawks. The school name, Northwest Nazarene University, remains the same.

WOU may have been the only west region team to survive non-conference unblemished. The beatdown at WWU is inexplicable - WWU shot the ball well but that is not that unusual. You are right about Omlid - 0 pts, 0 rbs, 1 assist, 3 to, 1 blk, 2 stl - not exactly a great stat line. Also, the blowout of SMU at NNU is kinda out there. SMU had played well - beating Cal Baptist and CWU on the road, and playing UW and WSU tough in exhibitions. Looking like this is shaping up to be a pretty wild year in the west region.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_AK View Post
    WOU may have been the only west region team to survive non-conference unblemished. The beatdown at WWU is inexplicable - WWU shot the ball well but that is not that unusual. You are right about Omlid - 0 pts, 0 rbs, 1 assist, 3 to, 1 blk, 2 stl - not exactly a great stat line. Also, the blowout of SMU at NNU is kinda out there. SMU had played well - beating Cal Baptist and CWU on the road, and playing UW and WSU tough in exhibitions. Looking like this is shaping up to be a pretty wild year in the west region.
    I can live (barely) with getting beat in Bellingham; getting blown out is not acceptable. Too many guys on the team lapse into not playing tough defense. That's also not good. Guessing Omlid's outing was rare or he was sick or something. Even in games where he doesn't score much, he fills out the stat sheet with blocks, steals, assists, and rebounds. I've never heard of him having a game like this. Hopefully that will change this week.

As for NNU, I think they're the real deal. They have a superstar in Jones, some good size underneath, and very talented (if not trigger happy) guards ... and I think the new coach is a serious upgrade, too.