Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Harding vs Ferris predictions

Contribute to D2

Default Harding vs Ferris predictions

Ferris by more than 5

2. Default Re: Harding vs Ferris predictions

Really depends on health of Ferris QB Reggie Bell. Ferris is a tremendous team when he’s healthy, but he has been hobbled most the entire season with a broken (or severely sprained?) ankle suffered earlier this season. I’ve seen him play for 2 years now and he was 50% at best against Fort Hays and it was still an easy victory. Ferris won’t look silly against the option like Ashland did. I’m taking Ferris by 14 but it could be much closer if Bell tweaks his ankle again

Default Re: Harding vs Ferris predictions

Defense wins games. They made it look easy today. The refs were definitely not good on Bulldogs. Almost 200 yards in penalties. Calling back a TD because he was trying not go out of bounds by high stepping to stay inbounds while also trying to avoid tackler. This game was really a rout. FHSU made it look close with 2 meaningless TDS in last minute of play. I’ll give you this though Iheme is best back I seen all year. Runs like Carter only better from GVSU. As for Harding the option offense could pose a problem. Northwood used it well on bulldogs winning by only 10.

Think the weather will play a major role with the score.. Bulldogs will pull it out either way, but if it's another windy/snow/rain day, Harding will stay within 10. If we have a day like we had at Fort Hays, I think it'll be 2 touchdowns or more. Penalties will definitely have to be cleaned up on the Ferris side, Harding doesn't look like they beat themselves. Interesting to see how they play that fullback. If they can control him with the front 4, next team up.

The Harding offense may be the best way to keep Seiler from taking over a game. It will be interesting to see what Ferris does to keep him involved.

While I hope that Harding wins (gotta root for a 7 seed underdog), Ferris has to be the favorite. I saw both teams play last season in Maryville, and I was more impressed with Ferris.

Quote Originally Posted by NW Normal View Post
    While I hope that Harding wins (gotta root for a 7 seed underdog), Ferris has to be the favorite. I saw both teams play last season in Maryville, and I was more impressed with Ferris.
    Well... I was impressed with NW last year and they weren't all that great this year. Not sure there's just a really strong correlation. Especially with a gimpy Bell.

I'm not betting against Harding at this point. Bisons 35-24

Good luck to HU! Based on NW’s experience last year they will need to watch each other’s back.
    HU 27 FSU 24.
    Last edited by NWFanatic; 11-26-2017 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Divisiontwo View Post
    Well... I was impressed with NW last year and they weren't all that great this year. Not sure there's just a really strong correlation. Especially with a gimpy Bell.
    Ferris returned almost their entire starting units from last year (18). Bell was Gimpy last year. We have a very capable backup QB who keeps getting better since his first start against Ashland. Yesterday the Bulldogs dismantled the MIAA Champs despite 165 yards in penalties. Late in the 4th the score was 37-7 until refs took a TD away on a bogus call.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    Ferris returned almost their entire starting units from last year (18). Bell was Gimpy last year. We have a very capable backup QB who keeps getting better since his first start against Ashland. Yesterday the Bulldogs dismantled the MIAA Champs despite 165 yards in penalties. Late in the 4th the score was 37-7 until refs took a TD away on a bogus call.
    Actually the call was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    Great! For sure a formidable opponent, no doubt. Don't forget what HU did to that GLIAC champ..

I'm pumped we've made it where we have. Been a remarkable turnaround after dropping first 3. I think we'll be in the mix. We'll see how we stack up

This is a tough one to call. The HU defense is better than I remember it being in years past, and that Offense is designed to take the defenses best player out of the play more often than not. That said, Ferris is absolutely fantastic up front on both sides of the ball.

Both teams have made PO runs recently.

I want Harding to win, but it's a tossup, imo.

Harding 27, Ferris 24

Something to keep in mind, is that Ferris' head coach used Harding's offense when he was a high school head coach and built one of the most dominant programs in the state using it. So he knows how to coach it, which means he probably knows how to defend it.

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    Something to keep in mind, is that Ferris' head coach used Harding's offense when he was a high school head coach and built one of the most dominant programs in the state using it. So he knows how to coach it, which means he probably knows how to defend it.
    Great point. Also, TA actually ran this out of the pistol when he first got to Ferris with Vander Laan so he definitely should have a leg up on defending it.

The one team to defend this offense all year was Harding during their first 3 games. But I think the size and speed of the the Ferris linemen and backers will be the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Finishempty Fred View Post
    The one team to defend this offense all year was Harding during their first 3 games. But I think the size and speed of the the Ferris linemen and backers will be the difference.
    How did you guys ever compete?

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    A Coach knowing how to stop it, and getting players dialed into stopping something they've never seen in 3 days is a different animal. Almost impossible to replicate in practice.

I'm going with Harding in a low-scoring game. 21-17 ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Divisiontwo View Post
    How did you guys ever compete?
    Stop being dense. Ferris' strength is their front 7. Not their back 4. They are more susceptible to trouble against a passing team, generally.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast