Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Pitt

Default OT: Pitt

Pitt down about 25 at half to Penn State. PSU looks like an NBA team compared to Pitt. Yes, PSU.

That was the worst half in the history of Pitt Basketball. I can't imagine how they could win a single ACC game this year. I'm not sure they'd win the PSAC.

Default Re: OT: Pitt

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Pitt down about 25 at half to Penn State. PSU looks like an NBA team compared to Pitt. Yes, PSU.

That was the worst half in the history of Pitt Basketball. I can't imagine how they could win a single ACC game this year. I'm not sure they'd win the PSAC.
    Perspective: Pitt football almost lost to Youngstown State. Pitt is, at best, a MAC team, although, with the way Stallings is running that program into the ground, Pitt-Oakland might have a problem competing in the Atlantic 10 Conference, let alone the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Losing by 31 to Penn State ... good way to get a warm seat a little warmer.

4. Default Re: OT: Pitt

Losing by 31 to Penn State ... good way to get a warm seat a little warmer.
    I get that this is more than a rebuild, it's a blow the whole thing up and start over. Even so, it seems it would difficult to put together a division 1 power 5 conference team that's this bad, especially for a program that not that long ago was a perennial top 10-15 team. This team might not win 5 games and yeah an 0-fer in ACC play seems all but certain.

Things got worse ... Ryan Luther is now out with a foot injury. Two more easy ones and then the ACC massacre begins.

6. Default Re: OT: Pitt

Time to fire Baldo Stallings and this time actually do the coaching search the correct way. They should have tried to land Andy Enfield last time out.

Joe Lombardi would be a great hire in my eyes for Pitt. I'd be on board with that. It would be a vast improvement.

-

I'm not ready to fire Stallings. Take another 2 year step back, and hope you get the right hire...

How do we know Stallings is the wrong guy after 1 1/3 seasons?

He ultimately may not be right, but how can you tell--he had Dixon's players last year, who were just looking out for themselves..and this year he has a team full of newcomers...who may or may not pan out...

And to quote a Pitt blogger...If you fire Stallings after 1 1/3 seasons, do you think the next coach coming in, will be super excited about them firing a coach 18 months into his tenure...they will attract less than what you think...

Pitt started five true freshmen last night.

If anything Stallings' tirade is getting a lot of national buzz.

9. Default Re: OT: Pitt

Pitt started five true freshmen last night.

If anything Stallings' tirade is getting a lot of national buzz.
    But did he pay $100,000 for any of them? Those are the kind of players he needs. Are there no ultra-rich and ethically challenged Pitt alums out there?

-

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    But did he pay $100,000 for any of them? Those are the kind of players he needs. Are there no ultra-rich and ethically challenged Pitt alums out there?

-

Pitt cures polio. They don’t pump money into athletics. Never have. The rich alumni are doctors. And they donate to the medical program, not athletics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Default Re: OT: Pitt

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    Pitt cures polio. They don’t pump money into athletics. Never have. The rich alumni are doctors. And they donate to the medical program, not athletics.

Certainly much more worthwhile to be honest.

Next year 5 freshmen will be 5 sophomores.

I've learned in being a Pitt fan ... optimism, even if delusional, is the way of life.

I like what Stallings did last night. His players did, too. Sometimes the oddest things can change perception.

Guy reminds me of Norman Dale when he first got to Hickory. The whole town hated him as soon as he pulled in. Now, Stallings just needs to find about 3-4 versions of Jimmy Chitwood.

I agree. Loved what he did last night. That was, in my opinion, the first “these are my guys and this is my program now” moment of the Stallings era.

As time goes on, I think more and more people are beginning to realize the rose of Jamie Dixon wasn’t as great as everyone thought. He peaked at Pitt. He wasn’t ever going to get back to where they were in 2009. Dixon could no longer recruit. He was clearly outmatched in a lot of ways in the ACC. It wasn’t Stallings’ fault that the cupboard was bare. Don’t care how good anyone thought Artis and Young were. Nobody on that team could handle the basketball.

It’s nice to see Pitt playing basketball with somewhat of an offensive flow. Never had that with Dixon. Stallings isn’t over coaching either. He’s letting the kids play. They have a group of guys, multiple guys, that can hit jump shots. This will take time and it won’t be painless in the ACC, but we all have to give the guy a few years. And not 1-3. Let the guy coach and build his program.

I actually really, really like Marcus Carr. Probably the best ball handling and shooting combination at PG Pitt has had in a long time. And he’s a freshman.

15. Default Re: OT: Pitt

Next year 5 freshmen will be 5 sophomores.

I've learned in being a Pitt fan ... optimism, even if delusional, is the way of life.

I like what Stallings did last night. His players did, too. Sometimes the oddest things can change perception.

Guy reminds me of Norman Dale when he first got to Hickory. The whole town hated him as soon as he pulled in. Now, Stallings just needs to find about 3-4 versions of Jimmy Chitwood.
    Do you think that Jimmy Chitwood could play in the ACC? I guess for the purpose of the film he was a Jerry West-type. He probably could've played anywhere so long as it was 1950s ball. LOL.

But Hoosiers was a great film. What were some of the great basketball movies over the years? I really liked Blue Chips a lot. But no way does Nolte grow a conscience like that at the end and do what he did. Granted I think he was a good man, but no one is going to look a gift horse in the mouth like that. Especially when everyone else under the sun is doing the same exact thing.

-

LOL ... I think Jimmy Chitwood was about 5'9" in real life.

I really enjoy the movie The Pistol (about Pete Marovich). It's kind of hard to find and rarely on TV.

He Got Game isn't a bad basketball (based) movie. It's pretty far-fetched but entertaining. Jesus Shuttlesworth

Blue Chips ... what a film. I saw it in the theater long ago. Old Coach Pete had buyers remorse. That was quite the recruiting class he landed -- regardless of what it cost.

How about Teen Wolf and Coach Bobby Finstock (the 1985 version)? Is that a 'basketball' movie?

p.s. Rick Pitino called Kevin Stallings a 'jackas$' this morning. All pub is good pub.

LOL ... I think Jimmy Chitwood was about 5'9" in real life.

I really enjoy the movie The Pistol (about Pete Marovich). It's kind of hard to find and rarely on TV.

He Got Game isn't a bad basketball (based) movie. It's pretty far-fetched but entertaining. Jesus Shuttlesworth

Blue Chips ... what a film. I saw it in the theater long ago. Old Coach Pete had buyers remorse. That was quite the recruiting class he landed -- regardless of what it cost.

How about Teen Wolf and Coach Bobby Finstock (the 1985 version)? Is that a 'basketball' movie?

p.s. Rick Pitino called Kevin Stallings a 'jackas$' this morning. All pub is good pub.
    There are far worse things we could call Rick Pitino and we wouldn't even be lying.

18. Default Re: OT: Pitt

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    There are far worse things we could call Rick Pitino and we wouldn't even be lying.
    Pr*ck would be the first word that comes to mind for me. A total one at that.

Did anybody ever see the Robbie Benson movie from circa late 1970s One on One (I believe that was the title). He played a hotshot college frosh recruit. The film did a nice job of documenting the struggles of a college athlete caught in the web of jerk win at all costs coach who cares nothing about his players but merely thinks only of winning.

Though I don't ever recall watching it---there was a television show about basketball on when I was a kid called The White Shadow.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Do you think that Jimmy Chitwood could play in the ACC? I guess for the purpose of the film he was a Jerry West-type. He probably could've played anywhere so long as it was 1950s ball. LOL.

But Hoosiers was a great film. What were some of the great basketball movies over the years? I really liked Blue Chips a lot. But no way does Nolte grow a conscience like that at the end and do what he did. Granted I think he was a good man, but no one is going to look a gift horse in the mouth like that. Especially when everyone else under the sun is doing the same exact thing.

-
    Hoosiers is my favorite film ever. What made it great? (1) I read that there was a huge sign in the studio that read THIS IS NOT A SPORTS MOVIE. This is absolutely true ... The movie's plot is about a sport and the fantasy-turned-reality of the small school winning the Indiana State championship, it more importantly centers around second chances and redemption. (2) The actors who played the basketball players were casted based on their basketball ability first, and their acting skills second. Too often in many sports movies the actor is horrible at the sport and it shows.

Could it also be my favorite movie because John Reilly pretty much plays a 1950's style offense? Gannon and Mercyhurst set basketball back 60 years whenever they face each other. Time to run the picket fence!!!

Don't get caught watching the paint dry.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast