Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: VSU Basketball

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    DMV
    Posts
    225
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    1669

    Default VSU Basketball

    I'm really excited about the MBB and WBB teams this year. The MBB team swept the Newberry tourney this weekend and is currently undefeated. A much better 2 point shooting team and from watching the last 2 games, seems to really play better defense in the 2nd half of games. I don't think I can recall when VSU has won this many OOC quality games to start the season. We still have Wheeling Jesuit and King University over the next month and hopefully we can keep this momentum going. This team is much better than last year's team. Granberry just has to stay out of foul trouble.

    The WBB team has some better front court players this year so they are running a more up tempo game. Don't play any heavy hitters for OOC play but we do have VUU and JCSU in conference. We will see real soon how they stack up against ranked competition. All in all, a great start for both teams and I'll try to give more analysis as the season continues.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,411
    Rep Power
    31467

    Default Re: VSU Basketball

    [QUOTE=kjb0615;2138363]I'm really excited about the MBB and WBB teams this year. The MBB team swept the Newberry tourney this weekend and is currently undefeated. A much better 2 point shooting team and from watching the last 2 games, seems to really play better defense in the 2nd half of games. I don't think I can recall when VSU has won this many OOC quality games to start the season. We still have Wheeling Jesuit and King University over the next month and hopefully we can keep this momentum going. This team is much better than last year's team. Granberry just has to stay out of foul trouble.

    The WBB team has some better front court players this year so they are running a more up tempo game. Don't play any heavy hitters for OOC play but we do have VUU and JCSU in conference. We will see real soon how they stack up against ranked competition. All in all, a great start for both teams and I'll try to give more analysis as the season contin
    Oops!!!
    Last edited by CALUPA69; 11-19-2017 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Mistaken posting

  3. Default Re: VSU Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by kjb0615 View Post
    I'm really excited about the MBB and WBB teams this year. The MBB team swept the Newberry tourney this weekend and is currently undefeated. A much better 2 point shooting team and from watching the last 2 games, seems to really play better defense in the 2nd half of games. I don't think I can recall when VSU has won this many OOC quality games to start the season. We still have Wheeling Jesuit and King University over the next month and hopefully we can keep this momentum going. This team is much better than last year's team. Granberry just has to stay out of foul trouble.

    The WBB team has some better front court players this year so they are running a more up tempo game. Don't play any heavy hitters for OOC play but we do have VUU and JCSU in conference. We will see real soon how they stack up against ranked competition. All in all, a great start for both teams and I'll try to give more analysis as the season continues.
    First let me say I agree with everything you said. But the way Coach Blow was talking about this team in the off-season was as if they would go undefeated. I definitely don't see that. I don't think this team is that much better than last year's team. We seem to have more 3 point shooters but that is it. I wish I could go to the Wheeling Jesuit game, that will be the real test. I wasn't impressed with the Newberry tournament. those teams don't scare anybody.

    I have yet to see the women play but Coach Hill seems to always schedule teams to where the record will look good at the end of the year. I have never seen the women play a difficult OOC schedule. They will have 20 wins beating D3 schools. There test will come during the CIAA tournament.

  4. #4

    Default Re: VSU Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post
    First let me say I agree with everything you said. But the way Coach Blow was talking about this team in the off-season was as if they would go undefeated. I definitely don't see that. I don't think this team is that much better than last year's team. We seem to have more 3 point shooters but that is it. I wish I could go to the Wheeling Jesuit game, that will be the real test. I wasn't impressed with the Newberry tournament. those teams don't scare anybody.

    I have yet to see the women play but Coach Hill seems to always schedule teams to where the record will look good at the end of the year. I have never seen the women play a difficult OOC schedule. They will have 20 wins beating D3 schools. There test will come during the CIAA tournament.
    When did Blow say anything that would remotely insinuate they will go undefeated? There is very little info on the team before the season to begin with. VSU can only beat the teams that are on the schedule and they are much better this year than last year. I really don't know what you are looking for 5 games into the season with new players that have to mesh with the current ones. The turnovers are starting to come down and they are playing better defense as of late. They have couple of decent games coming up and that should tell us where they stand.

    The WBB team is currently undefeated and again, they can only play the teams that are on the scheduled. They have won all of their games by double digits and is much improved in the front court this year. I really don't know what and who you are comparing VSU with. What is your benchmark GoVSUTrojans?

  5. Default Re: VSU Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by kjb0615 View Post
    When did Blow say anything that would remotely insinuate they will go undefeated? There is very little info on the team before the season to begin with. VSU can only beat the teams that are on the schedule and they are much better this year than last year. I really don't know what you are looking for 5 games into the season with new players that have to mesh with the current ones. The turnovers are starting to come down and they are playing better defense as of late. They have couple of decent games coming up and that should tell us where they stand.

    The WBB team is currently undefeated and again, they can only play the teams that are on the scheduled. They have won all of their games by double digits and is much improved in the front court this year. I really don't know what and who you are comparing VSU with. What is your benchmark GoVSUTrojans?

    When I heard Coach Blow talk about the team he said and I quote "This is the best team he has ever had". I wish I could find the tape.

    Who makes up the schedule? The coach and the AD. I'm just saying can we get some quality OOC games?

    I'm just tired of VSU beating up on weak teams that we are expected to beat, win 20 games and get disappointed if we don't make the playoffs. The past few years have been great but because of our scheduling we have to win the CIAA tournament to make the playoffs in spite of winning 20+ games. The MBB team, the only quality win we will have the year is if we beat Wheeling Jesuit, that's it. I rather VSU play a Texas Southern schedule and maybe lose the first 8 games of the season. We are a good enough program I feel to compete with Northern Sun and Lone Star conference teams., why not schedule them?


    That is all I'm saying. Go VSU!

  6. #6

    Default Re: VSU Basketball

    What are you talking about ... ?

    VSU beat IUP on the road. That's a huge non-conference win against a likely tournament team and traditional power.

    The CIAA problem has been its teams getting beat up and blown out in the big tournament.

    The 'Texas Southern' schedule ? D2 teams schedule primarily regionally due to finances and travel costs. You going to pay for a national travel schedule?

    I think your intentions are good. Your research needs some work.

    Just remember March is what gets remembered. Not November. The CIAA hasn't had many good months of March lately.

    Beat Wheeling and you'll get a high ranking in the polls.

  7. #7

    Default Re: VSU Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post
    When I heard Coach Blow talk about the team he said and I quote "This is the best team he has ever had". I wish I could find the tape.

    Who makes up the schedule? The coach and the AD. I'm just saying can we get some quality OOC games?

    I'm just tired of VSU beating up on weak teams that we are expected to beat, win 20 games and get disappointed if we don't make the playoffs. The past few years have been great but because of our scheduling we have to win the CIAA tournament to make the playoffs in spite of winning 20+ games. The MBB team, the only quality win we will have the year is if we beat Wheeling Jesuit, that's it. I rather VSU play a Texas Southern schedule and maybe lose the first 8 games of the season. We are a good enough program I feel to compete with Northern Sun and Lone Star conference teams., why not schedule them?


    That is all I'm saying. Go VSU!
    Why wouldn't a coach say that about his current team? Would him rather say hey guys, I like you and all but you are not a championship quality team. Let's just play the year out until I can get better guys in here. Cmon man, give the coach some credit in recruiting better players each year he has been there.

    The AD and coaches make up the schedule. If you want the team to jetset across the country to play all top 20 teams before conference play you are more than welcome to foot the bill for travel and expenses. Better yet, convince the athletic department to come up with a competent marketing plan to sell more basketball and football season tickets to fund the athletic programs. It's a shame we have that new beautiful facility and can't fill it up not once. Convince your alumni and friends in the Richmond, DMV and Norfolk area to join the booster club and start a fundraising campaign. That would get you the type of OOC schedule that you desire to have.

    I understand your frustration of not playing all OOC quality games but you can't discount the quality of IUP (very good team) Mount Olive, Barton College and King University. They may not be what you perceive to be top 10 quality but they are quality programs that we must beat to be able to possibly make a run in post season play. Let's get real, last year VSU lost games that they should not have lost. Mansfield, St. Aug and Bowie State comes to mind. If they would have won those, they wouldn't have needed to win the CIAA tourney to get into the post season. Also, remember that 2 years ago VSU did beat Fairmont in the playoffs and played West Liberty tough until unraveling at the end of the game. They have a good team that could be great as the season goes on. I have seen them play and they are MUCH better this year than the previous 2 years.

    With all that being said, there is a big game in 2 weeks against Wheeling Jesuit and I would like more than 200 people at the game in an arena that seats close to 5k. If you could assist in promoting the game and getting butts in seats, with a win, maybe there will be more interest and VSU could finally get some national attention and those teams from those conferences you suggest would want to play VSU? Just my 2 cents.

  8. #8

    Default Re: VSU Basketball

    The other thing ... not every team is in a hurry to schedule quality non-conference opponents.

    In the Atlantic Region, for instance, you get more than 8 losses and you may miss the cut for the tournament.

    There are some teams in the region who will take on the big-stage, non-conference games and others who just simply will not.

    The elite teams also want to host the regional. History shows you lose more than 2-3 games you're likely not hosting. That's a factor in some teams playing beyond cupcake non-conference schedules.

  9. Default Re: VSU Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by kjb0615 View Post
    Why wouldn't a coach say that about his current team? Would him rather say hey guys, I like you and all but you are not a championship quality team. Let's just play the year out until I can get better guys in here. Cmon man, give the coach some credit in recruiting better players each year he has been there.

    The AD and coaches make up the schedule. If you want the team to jetset across the country to play all top 20 teams before conference play you are more than welcome to foot the bill for travel and expenses. Better yet, convince the athletic department to come up with a competent marketing plan to sell more basketball and football season tickets to fund the athletic programs. It's a shame we have that new beautiful facility and can't fill it up not once. Convince your alumni and friends in the Richmond, DMV and Norfolk area to join the booster club and start a fundraising campaign. That would get you the type of OOC schedule that you desire to have.

    I understand your frustration of not playing all OOC quality games but you can't discount the quality of IUP (very good team) Mount Olive, Barton College and King University. They may not be what you perceive to be top 10 quality but they are quality programs that we must beat to be able to possibly make a run in post season play. Let's get real, last year VSU lost games that they should not have lost. Mansfield, St. Aug and Bowie State comes to mind. If they would have won those, they wouldn't have needed to win the CIAA tourney to get into the post season. Also, remember that 2 years ago VSU did beat Fairmont in the playoffs and played West Liberty tough until unraveling at the end of the game. They have a good team that could be great as the season goes on. I have seen them play and they are MUCH better this year than the previous 2 years.

    With all that being said, there is a big game in 2 weeks against Wheeling Jesuit and I would like more than 200 people at the game in an arena that seats close to 5k. If you could assist in promoting the game and getting butts in seats, with a win, maybe there will be more interest and VSU could finally get some national attention and those teams from those conferences you suggest would want to play VSU? Just my 2 cents.

    I am a frustrated fan, alum, and one that donates to the school on a consistent basis. So forgive me. :) Don't get me wrong I just want to see VSU succeed. I do remember them beating Fairmont St a few years ago. I can't forget that because I was so shocked. Trust me if I could go to the Wheeling game I would but I have to work.

    Also you actually touched on one of my frustrations - How in the _____ do you join the booster club? Please enlighten me if you can.

  10. #10

    Default Re: VSU Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post
    I am a frustrated fan, alum, and one that donates to the school on a consistent basis. So forgive me. :) Don't get me wrong I just want to see VSU succeed. I do remember them beating Fairmont St a few years ago. I can't forget that because I was so shocked. Trust me if I could go to the Wheeling game I would but I have to work.

    Also you actually touched on one of my frustrations - How in the _____ do you join the booster club? Please enlighten me if you can.

    LOL I share your frustrations as well. I by chance was @ a fundraiser in the DMV and they president of the booster club was there and I was able to join. They don't have an online presence and all the members (besides myself and maybe one other person), are retired or very close to being retired. They have an archaic way of doing things and are not very well organized. They need new leadership in the worse way. I will send you the brochure if you are interested in joining.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •