Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: PSAC WEST

Contribute to D2

Default PSAC WEST

Weekly Recap and look ahead

California (2-0) - Big road wins against Glenville State and WV Wesleyan. The Vulcans have three players over 20 ppg. Ashland comes to the Angelo Dome Wednesday night for a big non-conference game. Kutztown visits Saturday.

Edinboro (1-0) - The Fighting Scots let D3 Thiel hang around a bit. It looks like Jaymon Mason may have found a wing man to offset the scoring load in Idaho State transfer G/F Keshawn Liggins (34 points). We'll get a true look at the Scots this weekend when a resurgent Millersville and PSAC-favorite Shippensburg vist.

Slippery Rock (2-0) - The Rock opened with wins over Glenville State and WV Wesleyan. This has the look of an old-school Kevin Reynolds team -- holding Glenville to 64 points and WVW to 55 points. SRU is going to cause some problems for many this year. Shippensburg's visit may be the game of the week in the PSAC.

Clarion (1-1) - The Golden Eagles lost an opening shootout to host Winston-Salem State (111-95) and won a tight one against Fayetteville State (81-76). Clarion gets a tune-up against Penn State Allegheny prior to a tough weekend against East Stroudsburg and West Chester.

Gannon (1-1) - The Knights dropped a heartbreaker to Wheeling Jesuit in overtime but recovered to get a nice win at Shepherd. It looks to be a strong GU team -- holding Wheeling to 81 and Shepherd to 69 is impressive. West Chester and Cheyney visit Erie this weekend.

UPJ (1-1) - In typical UPJ fashion it had a very good Virginia State team ripe for the taking before losing in the final minute -- followed up by keeping a pretty bad Urbana team around in to the final minutes. Bloomsburg and ESU hit Johnstown this weekend.

Seton Hill (1-1) - The Griffins picked up a nice win against Charleston but then ran in to the buzzsaw against West Liberty in a 38-point loss. Ohio Dominican, Mansfield and Lock Haven all come to Greensburg this week.

IUP (1-3) - Kind of an enigma so far ... looked very good against a dramatically undermanned Urbana then turned around and lost to a strong Virginia State, 69-64. There are some issues in Indiana right now - but likely ones that will be fixed. The schedule sure hasn't helped. Lock Haven and Bloomsburg play at the KCAC this weekend. They dug the hole by playing Findlay, Ferris State and VA State. Can Joe climb back out?

Mercyhurst (0-0) - The Lakers travel to Daemen tomorrow for their opener, with Cheyney and Millersville visiting Erie this weekend.

West STAT leaders:

Keshawn Liggins (Edinboro) 34.0 ppg
    Isaac Vescovi (UPJ) - 25.5 ppg
    Jahmere Howze (Cal) - 25.5 ppg
    Kyheim Hall (Clarion) - 22.5 ppg
    Zay Jackson (Gannon) - 22.0

TEAM OFFENSE
    Cal - 96.5 ppg
    Clarion - 88.0 ppg
    Edinboro - 86.0 ppg

TEAM DEFENSE

SRU - 59.5 ppg
    IUP - 73.8 ppg
    UPJ - 74.0 ppg

2. Default Re: PSAC WEST

Great job !

Default Re: PSAC WEST

PSAC Players of the Week (as named by the conference)

EAST

Amir Hinton (Lock Haven) - 31 ppg for the weekend including a game-high 34 against VA Union.

Dustin Sleva (Ship) - 30 points and 15 boards against VA Union ... 16 & 11 against Shaw

EAST Freshman of the week: Millersville forward Caden Najdawi (18 points 10 boards in win over ND)

WEST

Zay Jackson (Gannon) - 22 ppg, 5.5 assists, 3 boards per game.

West Freshman of the Week - Drew Magestro (UPJ) -- Hit 6 of 9 treys in close loss to VA State

Edinboro men upset Ship. Wow.

Kutz all over SRU

I watched both Edinboro games using the new PSAC app. Two cameras with the radio broadcast piped in. Ugh.

Millersville is a tough physical team. The Ship upset is nice.

Edinboro is young as a unit but they play well. I think if they can stay healthy Pat Cleary and assistant Chris Bess will finally have an opportunity to see some fruit from their recruiting work.
    Last edited by Fightingscot82; 11-20-2017 at 05:51 AM.

PSAC WEST STANDINGS - 11/20/2017

School - PSAC - Overall

Edinboro (3-0, 3-0)

Mercyhurst (2-0, 3-0)

IUP (2-0, 3-3)

California (1-1, 3-2)

Gannon (1-1, 2-2)

UPJ (1-1, 2-2)

Seton Hill (1-1, 2-3)

Slippery Rock (0-2, 2-2)

Clarion (0-2, 2-3)

WEST Stat leaders

Team scoring:

Clarion - 88 ppg
    Cal - 87.2 ppg
    Edinboro - 86.3 ppg

Team Defense:

Mercyhurst - 52.3 ppg
    Gannon - 62.5 ppg
    SRU - 73.8 ppg

Individual scoring:

Anthony Coleman (Boro) - 22.3 ppg
    Isaac Vescovi (UPJ) - 22.0 ppg
    Terry Davis Jr. (Cal) - 21.4 ppg

Rebounds:

Cobo Diaz (IUP) - 10.5 rpg
    Evan Phoenix (GU) - 10.0 rpg
    Jahmere Howze (Cal) - 9.8 rpg

Small sample size ... but not a great start for average home attendance

IUP - 823 (4 home games - way down from past years ... this weekend, in particular, drew horribly)

Gannon - 670 (2 home games)

Mercyhurst - 348 (2 home games)

California - 338 (3 home games)

Edinboro - 335 (3 home games)

Slippery Rock - 326 (2 home games)

UPJ - 325 (2 home games)

Seton Hill - 325 (3 home games)

Clarion - 226 (3 home games)

Mercyhurst roughed up by Lake Erie

Ship drops second straight ... at Wilmington (DE). Antonio Kellam three at buzzer went in but waived off ... ref deemed it didn't beat the clock. Lost by two.

Didn't see either of those coming tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Mercyhurst roughed up by Lake Erie

Ship drops second straight ... at Wilmington (DE). Antonio Kellam three at buzzer went in but waived off ... ref deemed it didn't beat the clock. Lost by two.

Didn't see either of those coming tonight.
    YIKES!!! Craziness!!!

The Seton Hill game at Salem International yesterday had an announced gate of 35 people.

Edinboro with another well coached win, this time against Lake Erie. Cleary and Bess are doing some good stuff up north. I'm excited to see how they look in division games.

Also, a quick plug for the PSAC streaming app. I'm finally able to watch basketball at home. The video quality isn't good and the commentary is the student radio broadcast patched in, but I'll take it. At least they finally added the live score and clock.

The Seton Hill game at Salem International yesterday had an announced gate of 35 people.
    I'm surprised there are 35 people left in Salem, WV these days...

Sunday games

Rock over Daemen by 3

Sciences over UPJ by 2

We mock teams scheduling the PSU branches a lot ... usually deservedly so. Penn State-Allegheny is no such cupcake.

PSU-A has now taken Clarion to the final minute and lost to Notre Dame (OH) by 6 points.

We mock teams scheduling the PSU branches a lot ... usually deservedly so. Penn State-Allegheny is no such cupcake.

PSU-A has now taken Clarion to the final minute and lost to Notre Dame (OH) by 6 points.
    Pat Cleary at Edinboro once told me that he considers them something along the lines of 'good games to schedule'. The competition is tough enough and generally more available than DIII schools since most DIII conferences are large enough to allow little room for non-conference play.

The only thing I don't get is why schedule them if they do nothing for you? The wins, while showing up in your record, don't actually do anything for you. They don't help with the postseason and don't factor in to the selection process. I can see teams in a rebuilding mode scheduling these types of games just to get some wins on the board but that's it. Aside from that, the fans don't want to watch these games.

Gary Edwards used to schedule some of these. There are some real abusers in the PSAC. Slippery Rock keeps playing those Ohio University branches every year -- sometimes twice in the same season. Different viewpoints, I guess. That's why S.O.S. is so important in basketball. Joe scheduling the 'hero' schedules sometimes backfire but those two opening losses against Findlay and Ferris carry more weight than most non-conference wins. There are some teams playing 2-3 of these 'branch' type games this year ... in the same season.

PSU-A can obviously play but the vast majority of these are just blowout city. I don't even think the stats should count for the scoring races.

The only thing I don't get is why schedule them if they do nothing for you? The wins, while showing up in your record, don't actually do anything for you. They don't help with the postseason and don't factor in to the selection process. I can see teams in a rebuilding mode scheduling these types of games just to get some wins on the board but that's it. Aside from that, the fans don't want to watch these games.

Gary Edwards used to schedule some of these. There are some real abusers in the PSAC. Slippery Rock keeps playing those Ohio University branches every year -- sometimes twice in the same season. Different viewpoints, I guess. That's why S.O.S. is so important in basketball. Joe scheduling the 'hero' schedules sometimes backfire but those two opening losses against Findlay and Ferris carry more weight than most non-conference wins. There are some teams playing 2-3 of these 'branch' type games this year ... in the same season.

PSU-A can obviously play but the vast majority of these are just blowout city. I don't even think the stats should count for the scoring races.
    Because the only thing better than practice is a game and there aren't a whole lot of DII schools willing to travel to a PSAC school for a non-conference game. IUP is the rare exception that they have a department with the resources and prestige to bring in quality DII opponents. Edinboro's options within 75 miles and outside the conference are Lake Erie, Notre Dame, Allegheny, PS Behrend (DIII), Grove City, Westminster, and Thiel. There's also SUNY Fredonia.

As for fans caring, beyond the traditional conference rivalries I don't think the average person cares any more about schools playing Penn State Greater Allegheny versus Waynesburg versus Point Park versus Kutztown as long as IUP wins the game they attend.
    Last edited by Fightingscot82; 11-27-2017 at 11:00 AM.

I get some of that but Gannon and Mercyhurst don't play the gimme games and they are 15 miles away from Edinboro.

If you want to find D2 games you'll find them. You may need to travel but they are out there.

I get some of that but Gannon and Mercyhurst don't play the gimme games and they are 15 miles away from Edinboro.

If you want to find D2 games you'll find them. You may need to travel but they are out there.
    That's a good question to ask. A couple years ago when I asked about the Penn State branches I got an answer something like that.

Most years it is probably irrelevant.

Many at IUP were not thrilled with the non-conference schedule. Great if it works but awful when you're essentially eliminated from hosting a region by mid-November.

In a year like this one ... it could ultimately keep IUP home in March in a tight race. The IUP theory is it makes them better for March. The problem is when you lose three non-conference games ... you may not see March (reference 2015). Admittingly, byt the end of that 2015 regular season they were certainly a tournament team and had a giant 15-game win streak ... but the damage was done in November. You can't get those losses back. They sure can't rely on running the West table again this year like they did last season. Early results show the West is vastly stronger than a year ago.

My opinion to this point is Edinboro is the top West team -- as of today. Three stud guards ... that's the recipe to win in D2.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 11-27-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast