Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1166

Thread: PSAC WEST

Default Re: PSAC WEST

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    I don't disagree, but it's not necessarily always the "program" wanting the big gym with all the bells and whistles (although the KCAC is the house that Joe built). If location provides the opportunity, a university should want a multi-purpose venue like that. What you should remember is that there have been numerous events that IUP and the Indiana community has brought to the school and town that they otherwise would not have been able to put on if the KCAC wasn't there.

It's tough to bring in a big artist or performer to play in a gym with awful acoustics and 1,500 seats. Cal has obvious attendance issues with basketball, but they have struggled mightily making any use of the Convocation Center (which is actually larger than the KCAC). The problem is that they're too close to Pittsburgh (much closer than IUP). Very few performers are going to come to Cal when they can perform for more money in front of a lot more people if they head 35 minutes up the road.

The same story with West Liberty. It's not really feasible for them to build a venue like that when the city of Wheeling has an 8,000 or so seat arena that the Nailers play in.

The KCAC is a tremendous facility. I actually don't think it's too big. It's about perfect size. IUP has a very loyal 1,500 fans. The rest just suck.

What kills their number (as most) is that horrendously-long holiday break. They go almost 6 weeks of no students on campus. I'd guess if you take those games out of the average the actual average for the season would be closer to 2,300 or 2,400.

But, every year IUP hosts those Thanksgiving weekend two games (which draw about 900-1,000 per) and then the XMAS break (as I call it funeral season). From Jan. 20 (or whenever they come back) to the last home game they draw pretty well -- not great per capacity percentage but pretty well.

I am a supporter of playing one game at the Field House every other year. I think the fans enjoy one game over there for nostalgia. But, after that you start to quickly remember all the faults the place had/has. The restrooms are awful. Concessions are terrible. You realize how nice those 4,000 chairbacks are at the KCAC real quick when you hit those old, wooden bleachers. The 'regular' group is very territorial to their reserved seats. MFH is all general admission. But, one game works.

As for Cal, yeah, I was amazed how freaking big that place is the first time I went to a game there. It is dramatically larger than the KCAC (2,000 more chairbacks). It doesn't have the amenities the KCAC has and is obviously overkill for the 250 fans Cal gets a game. But, it was a nice addition to the campus. There are tons of mid-major programs that would love to have either facility.

The majority of PSAC 'gyms' are just, essentially, large high school gyms. IUP football games (atmosphere) feel like a high school game and are terribly boring. The basketball games are different. They have a whole different vibe -- and the facility plays a major role. Now, IUP could spruce up the basketball game-day dramatically. They still play to the older crowd much like what happens across the parking lot -- but, it's not quite as bad.

IUP and Cal built event centers that include athletic facilities. Clarion is building a new athletics building. As IUPbigIndians explained, big difference.

I'm hoping that the new Tippin is a nice standard for the PSAC schools not in need of an "arena" facility.

I don't disagree, but it's not necessarily always the "program" wanting the big gym with all the bells and whistles (although the KCAC is the house that Joe built). If location provides the opportunity, a university should want a multi-purpose venue like that. What you should remember is that there have been numerous events that IUP and the Indiana community has brought to the school and town that they otherwise would not have been able to put on if the KCAC wasn't there.

It's tough to bring in a big artist or performer to play in a gym with awful acoustics and 1,500 seats. Cal has obvious attendance issues with basketball, but they have struggled mightily making any use of the Convocation Center (which is actually larger than the KCAC). The problem is that they're too close to Pittsburgh (much closer than IUP). Very few performers are going to come to Cal when they can perform for more money in front of a lot more people if they head 35 minutes up the road.

The same story with West Liberty. It's not really feasible for them to build a venue like that when the city of Wheeling has an 8,000 or so seat arena that the Nailers play in.
    Nor do I want them to even consider building a big on-campus arena. Love the ARSC and all it brings to the game...perfect size that rocks when the students are in town. Quite the home court advantage (lost four games over the last 5 years there) which is REALLY what you want in a home court!

There are some small things they can do to improve, but no need or desire to build an 8000 seat auditorium!

4. Default Re: PSAC WEST

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Nor do I want them to even consider building a big on-campus arena. Love the ARSC and all it brings to the game...perfect size that rocks when the students are in town. Quite the home court advantage (lost four games over the last 5 years there) which is REALLY what you want in a home court!

There are some small things they can do to improve, but no need or desire to build an 8000 seat auditorium!
    I'm with you IUP24 ad Boat. Much higher priority is to upgrade the dorms to modern standards to be more competitive with other schools for students and athletes!

5. Default Re: PSAC WEST

Yeah, I enjoy basketball games at the KCAC but most of the best times I’ve had there were non-basketball events. I’ve seen Celtic Woman concerts, pro wrestling shows and a bunch of stuff in between and it’s all stuff you couldn’t imagine seeing in Indiana 10 years ago. I got to see Hulk Hogan, Sting and Kurt Angle wrestle 5 minutes from my house (granted they were way past their primes, but still). It’s disappointing that basketball never really fills the place, but I’m still very happy they built it.

Seton Hill cast-off Trevor Lecuona has landed at Lock Haven.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    Yeah, I enjoy basketball games at the KCAC but most of the best times I’ve had there were non-basketball events. I’ve seen Celtic Woman concerts, pro wrestling shows and a bunch of stuff in between and it’s all stuff you couldn’t imagine seeing in Indiana 10 years ago. I got to see Hulk Hogan, Sting and Kurt Angle wrestle 5 minutes from my house (granted they were way past their primes, but still). It’s disappointing that basketball never really fills the place, but I’m still very happy they built it.
    Great point ... when I a student at Gannon, they had a high-level concert (some big 80s band like Huey Lewis & the News - not kidding) at the Hammermill. The acoustics of the concert were as you might imagine -- dreadful. Thankfully, a new arena (now called Erie Insurance Arena) was shortly built a few blocks down the road and it has been a much more natural home for concerts and many other events for the past few decades.

"Gannon University’s Hammermill is the best homecourt advantage in the PSAC! Come see for yourself!"

-- New GU coach Kelvin Jefferson on Twitter

Yeah ... may have some bad news for Mr. Jefferson come November.

Mercyhurst has signed Navy transfer Daniel Ogele (6'7", 220 lbs). Chicago native.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Mercyhurst has signed Navy transfer Daniel Ogele (6'7", 220 lbs). Chicago native.
    Always a bit odd when someone leaves one of the academies. This young man was a major in cyber operations which sounds daunting. He averaged 3.2 ppg and 2.7 rpg in 10 minutes. Now he's attending a private liberal arts college and playing D2 basketball. Can't quite grasp the mindset.

"Gannon University’s Hammermill is the best homecourt advantage in the PSAC! Come see for yourself!"

Your quote has a lot of double M connotation to it! hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Always a bit odd when someone leaves one of the academies. This young man was a major in cyber operations which sounds daunting. He averaged 3.2 ppg and 2.7 rpg in 10 minutes. Now he's attending a private liberal arts college and playing D2 basketball. Can't quite grasp the mindset.

Hard to say. That lifestyle isn't easy and probably isn't for everybody. Who knows.

I do know Gary pulls these guys out of the woodwork and they usually fit in to his system well. My guess is this is a highly intelligent player with great discipline ... needed attributes to play in that Triangle and Two defense.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    Your quote has a lot of double M connotation to it! hahaha
    LOL ... yeah, I drive to Pittsburgh daily from Indiana. Lots of radio time.

Hard to say. That lifestyle isn't easy and probably isn't for everybody. Who knows.

I do know Gary pulls these guys out of the woodwork and they usually fit in to his system well. My guess is this is a highly intelligent player with great discipline ... needed attributes to play in that Triangle and Two defense.
    Is there still a service commitment for those that attend the university and then transfer?

I’ve always wondered that. Johnny Franco for instance spent a year at Army prior to coming to IUP. When you go to a service academy school, you are enlisting in the military. You sign the papers.

I’m not sure how all that works.

School is basically free for those students though. The people who attend Army, Navy, or Air Force are typically next level smart. My cousin’s husband finished med school through the Navy. He didn’t pay a cent and the Navy paid for most of their expenses (cost of living, rent, etc.), but he’s a physician that went on two deployments on an aircraft carrier prior to fulfilling his requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw the tweet ... I hope that he realizes that the video was from 1988. People don't wear their hair that way anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden89 View Post
    I saw the tweet ... I hope that he realizes that the video was from 1988. People don't wear their hair that way anymore.
    I don't think this guy understands what he is getting in to. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    I don't think this guy understands what he is getting in to. Just my opinion.
    He'll learn quick when Joe hangs a 45 spread on him in January.

Would it have been better for him to say "We are doomed and there is no way we can compete. And potential recruits that may read this...our facilities are not that good."??

19. Default Re: PSAC WEST

Is there still a service commitment for those that attend the university and then transfer?

I’ve always wondered that. Johnny Franco for instance spent a year at Army prior to coming to IUP. When you go to a service academy school, you are enlisting in the military. You sign the papers.

I’m not sure how all that works.

School is basically free for those students though. The people who attend Army, Navy, or Air Force are typically next level smart. My cousin’s husband finished med school through the Navy. He didn’t pay a cent and the Navy paid for most of their expenses (cost of living, rent, etc.), but he’s a physician that went on two deployments on an aircraft carrier prior to fulfilling his requirements.

Academies have no limit on # of scholarships because everyone is on a full ride. Also few people are aware that the academies are elite academic schools in their fields - Ivy League, Stanford like. World class leadership training too.

Default PSAC WEST

Nobody answered my question yet. Odd for this group lol... Must have stumped everybody.