Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Texas A/M Commerce at Winona State..

Blog Entries
    Contribute to D2

Default Texas A/M Commerce at Winona State..

Game and matchup talk....thoughts?

Default Re: Texas A/M Commerce at Winona State..

I haven't seen Winona this year, but I can tell a bit about Commerce. Our defense is big & fast, and has steadily improved all season. On offense we are a pass first team with Luis Perez at QB. In 2 seasons he has smashed every career passing mark at our school - and we've had some good ones here (Wade Wilson, for example). Receivers are long and athletic. We have a pair of TE/Slot guys who are potential game wreckers at 6'3" each and 215 & 255 respectively. Our running game is young, featuring a pair of true freshmen. They have improved as the season has gone on, but by no means is it our strength. Special teams are outstanding. Theres a quick primer, but happy to answer any specific questions y'all may have.

3. Default Re: Texas A/M Commerce at Winona State..

Going to be interesting on how the passing game will be in 20 degree weather. Should be exciting to see a team not in the Nsic come to Winona.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnelly34 View Post
    Going to be interesting on how the passing game will be in 20 degree weather. Should be exciting to see a team not in the Nsic come to Winona.
    I'm more worried about the wind than the cold. Last years playoffs 2nd round he threw for 320 yds and 3 tds at Grand Valley State in Michigan. It was cold, but little to no wind.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    I haven't seen Winona this year, but I can tell a bit about Commerce. Our defense is big & fast, and has steadily improved all season. On offense we are a pass first team with Luis Perez at QB. In 2 seasons he has smashed every career passing mark at our school - and we've had some good ones here (Wade Wilson, for example). Receivers are long and athletic. We have a pair of TE/Slot guys who are potential game wreckers at 6'3" each and 215 & 255 respectively. Our running game is young, featuring a pair of true freshmen. They have improved as the season has gone on, but by no means is it our strength. Special teams are outstanding. Theres a quick primer, but happy to answer any specific questions y'all may have.
    I watched 4 of Winona's games to put together my own film breakdown. Winona's defense is top notch, and generates lots of turnovers. Their corners are very physical once the ball is in the air, so how tight the referee crew is could matter for those 50/50 calls. I think there are specific teams we have played that could prep us for aspects of their defense (UNA had a very physical secondary, TSU was huge on the line) but I don't believe we have faced a team this good at all defensive phases simultaneously. Also, teams preach going for the ball in a gang tackle, but often fail to execute; Winona executes those better than any team I have seen on film. It doesn't surprise me they rank high in fumbles generated/recovered.

One area I think we can exploit is the revolving door at the backup corners. Winona doesn't show dime much, but when they do the 5/6 players rotate frequently and each seems to struggle.

Our passing attack is something that at least for this season I doubt Winona has seen or can mimic. There were multiple plays where a receiver was open in the WSU secondary and the ball was either overthrown or under-thrown to allow the D to catch up. We won't give them those gifts. The weather worries me if there really are 20 mph gusts. The only weakness I worry about from Perez is a tendency to float the ball (watch the UNA game). In a wind gust it may stay up just a little longer to allow more recovery to the WSU secondary.

Against Tarleton we were up 14-0 before we ran the ball, so we know how to play when the D-Line can minimize the rushing attack. If we get enough of a lead to effect Winona's play calling I do not believe they can throw to catch up. We have two top notch NFL hopefuls in our secondary (one was a finalist for the Jim Thorpe D1 award previously) and Winona's passing attach leaves a lot to be desired. Our Run D is a strength; for example, we held ENMU (#2 rushing attack in the nation) to 100 yards under their average and 2 yds/carry under their average so our numbers are not a result of playing teams that can't run.

Special teams appear to be a clear advantage for us. As the wind could effect our passing I wonder if the wind could hurt Winona's punting. To be sure it was apples to apples I looked at Winona's averages when the wind was not a huge factor, and even in those games the punt team at WSU struggled. If you want to play run-the-ball, field position football then the punter could really hurt WSU, and allow us to flip the field.

I really like that this is strength on strength, and that neither team can likely replicate or use past games to simulate their opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    I'm more worried about the wind than the cold. Last years playoffs 2nd round he threw for 320 yds and 3 tds at Grand Valley State in Michigan. It was cold, but little to no wind.
    I noted this in mine, but just to be clear I do not expect the cold to play a factor. We have played in plenty of cold games, and had a lot of success. The wind could get scary, especially if it is gusting.

Quote Originally Posted by ETSU_LION View Post
    I watched 4 of Winona's games to put together my own film breakdown. Winona's defense is top notch, and generates lots of turnovers. Their corners are very physical once the ball is in the air, so how tight the referee crew is could matter for those 50/50 calls. I think there are specific teams we have played that could prep us for aspects of their defense (UNA had a very physical secondary, TSU was huge on the line) but I don't believe we have faced a team this good at all defensive phases simultaneously. Also, teams preach going for the ball in a gang tackle, but often fail to execute; Winona executes those better than any team I have seen on film. It doesn't surprise me they rank high in fumbles generated/recovered.

One area I think we can exploit is the revolving door at the backup corners. Winona doesn't show dime much, but when they do the 5/6 players rotate frequently and each seems to struggle.

Our passing attack is something that at least for this season I doubt Winona has seen or can mimic. There were multiple plays where a receiver was open in the WSU secondary and the ball was either overthrown or under-thrown to allow the D to catch up. We won't give them those gifts. The weather worries me if there really are 20 mph gusts. The only weakness I worry about from Perez is a tendency to float the ball (watch the UNA game). In a wind gust it may stay up just a little longer to allow more recovery to the WSU secondary.

Against Tarleton we were up 14-0 before we ran the ball, so we know how to play when the D-Line can minimize the rushing attack. If we get enough of a lead to effect Winona's play calling I do not believe they can throw to catch up. We have two top notch NFL hopefuls in our secondary (one was a finalist for the Jim Thorpe D1 award previously) and Winona's passing attach leaves a lot to be desired. Our Run D is a strength; for example, we held ENMU (#2 rushing attack in the nation) to 100 yards under their average and 2 yds/carry under their average so our numbers are not a result of playing teams that can't run.

Special teams appear to be a clear advantage for us. As the wind could effect our passing I wonder if the wind could hurt Winona's punting. To be sure it was apples to apples I looked at Winona's averages when the wind was not a huge factor, and even in those games the punt team at WSU struggled. If you want to play run-the-ball, field position football then the punter could really hurt WSU, and allow us to flip the field.

I really like that this is strength on strength, and that neither team can likely replicate or use past games to simulate their opponent.
    Nice break down. I do think Winona's passing game might be better than what you saw (depending on which games you watched and whether our starting QB is back for the game). Benkeen wasn't lighting it up, but he's steady and can make good decisions and have a decent deep ball.

I'm excited for cold, playoff football. Sounds like it's going to be mid-20s and windy, which I think helps the Warriors. I look for a heavy does of the running game on Saturday. Jacked to be back in the playoffs!

Quote Originally Posted by wsuguy87 View Post
    Nice break down. I do think Winona's passing game might be better than what you saw (depending on which games you watched and whether our starting QB is back for the game). Benkeen wasn't lighting it up, but he's steady and can make good decisions and have a decent deep ball.

I'm excited for cold, playoff football. Sounds like it's going to be mid-20s and windy, which I think helps the Warriors. I look for a heavy does of the running game on Saturday. Jacked to be back in the playoffs!
    The only game I saw that WSU had to pass was the Mankato game. Otherwise they didn't need to rely much on throwing. While using Mankato as an example is borderline unfair, the QB had multiple turnovers, and some were called back by flags.

From a scheme perspective it seemed to me that WSU likes to throw it short on the outside and the vast majority of their downfield throws are to the middle of the field. One thing I will watch for is if the Lions line up our star D1 transfer in the box to help stop the run, and play Cover-1 press.

Winona folks... can you give me a little food education?

What is the cultural food in the Winona area and where can I go to try it?

10. Default Re: Texas A/M Commerce at Winona State..

Depends what you like. Pizza wise I recommend Rocco's or Sammy's. Bub's, Betty Jo's or Jeffersons are good burger places.
    Saturday morning you need to go to Bloedow's and get a maple long john. Well worth the time. http://www.bloedows.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post
    Depends what you like. Pizza wise I recommend Rocco's or Sammy's. Bub's, Betty Jo's or Jeffersons are good burger places.
    Saturday morning you need to go to Bloedow's and get a maple long john. Well worth the time. http://www.bloedows.com/
    I've even heard of them. People who I've talked to say that they are a treat.

12. Default Re: Texas A/M Commerce at Winona State..

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    I've even heard of them. People who I've talked to say that they are a treat.
    Pairs well with Chocolate milk.
    Next time you are in Winona. If you don't get to their bakery all the Kwik Trips in town carry them. I joined this board the other day to talk football and learn more about the conference and go figure my first posts are about food.

Quote Originally Posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post
    Maybe you can help out with this- info on Winona:

http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread.php?t=88407

14. Default Re: Texas A/M Commerce at Winona State..

Rocco' s hand down is the best for pizza. Jefferson's and Bubs are good places to eat. Mostly bar type places around here to eat. Hit up a Kwik Trip cause they will be the best gas station you will ever go to.

Quote Originally Posted by ETSU_LION View Post
    Winona folks... can you give me a little food education?

What is the cultural food in the Winona area and where can I go to try it?
    I'll second the votes for Bubs, Betty Jo's, and Jefferson's. All solid choices. Jefferson's is going to be the slightly "fancier" of the places. Bub's and Betty Jo's will be the bar/burger settings.

Rocco' s hand down is the best for pizza. Jefferson's and Bubs are good places to eat. Mostly bar type places around here to eat. Hit up a Kwik Trip cause they will be the best gas station you will ever go to.
    Gas-milk-juice-bread-rolls-bananas-onions-pizza.........the list of possibilities go on and on.

Hit up a Kwik Trip cause they will be the best gas station you will ever go to.
    I love Kwik Trips. Wish we had them here in Sioux Falls.

If you ever get a chance, stop by the Kwik Trip in Mt. Horeb, WI. Yes, I'm recommending you visit a convenience store in the middle of nowhere.

I was there a couple months ago and was blown away. Kwik Trips are nice, but this was above and beyond. Wood floors. Spotlessly clean. I counted 8 people actively working at the store, all smiling and helpful. There were fresh baked goods, produce and snack items. It felt like more like the concierge lounge at a high end hotel than a gas station.

I actually enjoyed my stop there so much that the next day I changed my route a bit so I could stop again for some coffee and a fresh pretzel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra_Man View Post
    I love Kwik Trips. Wish we had them here in Sioux Falls.
    First one that I went to was in LaCrosse. When they came to Mankato I became a regular. I stop at the ones in New Ulm- the furthest west one that I know about- and Hutchinson. I was told that Willmar is getting one- the St. Cloud and Duluth areas already do. The more the better. Never been to a bad one. I'd love to have one in Marshall, Sioux Falls & Brookings when I take road trips.

19. Default Re: Texas A/M Commerce at Winona State..

If you want some good Mexican food I would recommend going to mango’s

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    First one that I went to was in LaCrosse. When they came to Mankato I became a regular. I stop at the ones in New Ulm- the furthest west one that I know about- and Hutchinson. I was told that Willmar is getting one- the St. Cloud and Duluth areas already do. The more the better. Never been to a bad one. I'd love to have one in Marshall, Sioux Falls & Brookings when I take road trips.
    I've stopped at a couple in downtown LaCrosse that, while I wouldn't call them "bad", I would rank them on the low end of the Kwik Trip spectrum. Curiously enough, Kwik Trip is headquartered in LaCrosse. But overall, they're pretty much a safe bet when you see one.

Looks like you are correct, that Hutchinson and New Ulm are currently the furthest west Kwik Trip locations: https://www.kwiktrip.com/KwikTrip/Me...NESOTA-MAP.pdf

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast