Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 245

Thread: CSU-P at Mankato....Playoff Thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    1,854
    Blog Entries
    113
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    96551

    Default CSU-P at Mankato....Playoff Thread

    Game and Matchup talk here please....please route playoff selection talk back in that thread..thanks.

    Rematch of the 2014 chip. Ok fans....thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    8,349
    Rep Power
    69747

    Default Re: CSU-P at Mankato....Playoff Thread

    I think Pueblo could sure use their first 2 starting QBs and Bernard McDondle.

    Pack defense has been playing very well, but against far lesser competition. Talent is sure there for the D, but they are young having only 1 senior starting and 2 seniors on the 2-deep.

    Looks like about as tough of a match-up as we could get, but nothing to lose so time to go out there and have fun and see what happens.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    382001

    Default Re: CSU-P at Mankato....Playoff Thread

    Any word on Gunn coming back by Saturday? That would make an extremely potent Maverick offense even more devastating.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Laker's Aker
    Posts
    39,423
    Rep Power
    551528

    Default Re: CSU-P at Mankato....Playoff Thread

    Now is the time to focus on Saturday. Early forecast is party sunny and in the low 30s. Rain predicted for Friday. Not sure about how windy it is supposed to be. Grass field. I haven't heard of the injury situation- maybe there will be some news on the coaches show at 6:30 tonight.

    Probably not a lot of players left who were actually on the field for the Mavs and I'm guessing that Pueblo is the same. The revenge factor is probably more for the fans that the players- they shouldn't need any extra motivation. MSU probably won't be eating the fish that came in on the flight from the movie Airplane.

    We are playing at home. Will there be enough of a crowd to help out? It did seem that there was an upbeat of excitement in the fourth quarter at USF with the band, cheerleaders and a large number of fans on the road.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    1,854
    Blog Entries
    113
    Rep Power
    96551

    Default Re: CSU-P at Mankato....Playoff Thread

    Taormina..the young RB....leaving the USF game in the 4th quarter with an apparent injury.....won't help things for the Mavs. I assume Gunn will try and go..as they've seemingly been keeping him out for recovery..but I assume he's gonna have to give it a go this wknd. (not having the bye hurts the Mavs, for certain)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    1,854
    Blog Entries
    113
    Rep Power
    96551

    Default Re: CSU-P at Mankato....Playoff Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderwolves Fan View Post
    I think Pueblo could sure use their first 2 starting QBs and Bernard McDondle.

    Pack defense has been playing very well, but against far lesser competition. Talent is sure there for the D, but they are young having only 1 senior starting and 2 seniors on the 2-deep.

    Looks like about as tough of a match-up as we could get, but nothing to lose so time to go out there and have fun and see what happens.
    I have the RMAC app on my roku....are games archived there for CSU-P? I was thinking they had some Mesa game (as I watched them a few weeks ago)....but I don't recall CSU-P. Thanks in advance.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    8,349
    Rep Power
    69747

    Default Re: CSU-P at Mankato....Playoff Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
    I have the RMAC app on my roku....are games archived there for CSU-P? I was thinking they had some Mesa game (as I watched them a few weeks ago)....but I don't recall CSU-P. Thanks in advance.
    https://portal.stretchinternet.com/csu-pueblo/ - They should be here but the streaming for home games this year was somehow a complete joke. You'll have better luck watching the away games.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    1,854
    Blog Entries
    113
    Rep Power
    96551

    Default Re: CSU-P at Mankato....Playoff Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderwolves Fan View Post
    https://portal.stretchinternet.com/csu-pueblo/ - They should be here but the streaming for home games this year was somehow a complete joke. You'll have better luck watching the away games.
    I will check this out later tonight. Appreciated.

    Despite my thoughts on who should've made the dance....I realize Pueblo will be a solid opponent and will pose a challenge to MSU this Saturday.

    How would you characterize your squad....this season..

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    8,349
    Rep Power
    69747

    Default Re: CSU-P at Mankato....Playoff Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
    I will check this out later tonight. Appreciated.

    Despite my thoughts on who should've made the dance....I realize Pueblo will be a solid opponent and will pose a challenge to MSU this Saturday.

    How would you characterize your squad....this season..
    Defense, as expected in Pueblo, has been very solid. Brandon Payer is one of the best LBs in D2 in my opinion, he is one of the best tacklers I have ever watched. I expect him to get drafted next year, #8 for those who will be watching the game. We still play a 3-4 which I'm guessing is not seen often up there, LBs are athletic. Secondary has 21 interceptions this year with Darius Williams having 8 (program record), 3 of which he has returned for TDs. Emery Taylor is a bit undersized at the other corner spot but has 5 picks and has been very solid. Safeties are bigger than we've had before and are very active. Defensive line isn't extremely deep but the starters have been solid, not as good as the DL we had in 2014 though.

    Special teams have been extremely solid, kicker is a freshman but one of the better ones we've had, punter very consistent, punt return team is deep.

    Now, the offense is where it gets rather interesting. Pro style offense with multiple different sets, tight ends are very good but used way too rarely. We lost our top RB Bernard McDondle, who played in the 2014 game a little, to an injury game 1 of the season. We lost the back up QB the same game and the starting QB in game 3. The 3rd string, Rex Dausin, is an experienced senior but about as inconsistent as you're gonna get. He will make an incredible throw one play and miss a swing pass the next at times. If on, he is solid. Marche Dennard is the starting RB, he's a power runner with great speed and is tough to bring down. Fun to watch, great kid, runs hard each and every play. The OL consists of 5 starters, one of which started the 2014 game as a freshman. They have been solid but not as dominating as expected. The biggest concern for me (and many Pack fans) has been play calling. Inconsistent at best for a couple of years, I think the talent on the offensive side of the ball is being wasted and coaching has been largely responsible for the struggles we have seen at times from the offense. That said, they do have talent. We are about to find out how much.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    1,854
    Blog Entries
    113
    Rep Power
    96551

    Default Re: CSU-P at Mankato....Playoff Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderwolves Fan View Post
    Defense, as expected in Pueblo, has been very solid. Brandon Payer is one of the best LBs in D2 in my opinion, he is one of the best tacklers I have ever watched. I expect him to get drafted next year, #8 for those who will be watching the game. We still play a 3-4 which I'm guessing is not seen often up there, LBs are athletic. Secondary has 21 interceptions this year with Darius Williams having 8 (program record), 3 of which he has returned for TDs. Emery Taylor is a bit undersized at the other corner spot but has 5 picks and has been very solid. Safeties are bigger than we've had before and are very active. Defensive line isn't extremely deep but the starters have been solid, not as good as the DL we had in 2014 though.

    Special teams have been extremely solid, kicker is a freshman but one of the better ones we've had, punter very consistent, punt return team is deep.

    Now, the offense is where it gets rather interesting. Pro style offense with multiple different sets, tight ends are very good but used way too rarely. We lost our top RB Bernard McDondle, who played in the 2014 game a little, to an injury game 1 of the season. We lost the back up QB the same game and the starting QB in game 3. The 3rd string, Rex Dausin, is an experienced senior but about as inconsistent as you're gonna get. He will make an incredible throw one play and miss a swing pass the next at times. If on, he is solid. Marche Dennard is the starting RB, he's a power runner with great speed and is tough to bring down. Fun to watch, great kid, runs hard each and every play. The OL consists of 5 starters, one of which started the 2014 game as a freshman. They have been solid but not as dominating as expected. The biggest concern for me (and many Pack fans) has been play calling. Inconsistent at best for a couple of years, I think the talent on the offensive side of the ball is being wasted and coaching has been largely responsible for the struggles we have seen at times from the offense. That said, they do have talent. We are about to find out how much.
    Addressing the 3-4 defense....it's fairly common just about everywhere I think. Teams like USF and Kato both run a 4-3..or 4-2-5 also..but teams like Bemidji and Duluth both run a 3-4. UMD's is pretty aggressive..lots of blitzing and man coverage..meant for run stopping.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Renville County, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,340
    Rep Power
    909

    Default Re: CSU-P at Mankato....Playoff Thread

    Home field for the Mavs at least. Obviously which personnel will be ready for game action will be important. I would expect Gunn to play if he is anywhere close to recovered, as there is no tomorrow if you lose. Not sure of the extent of Taormina's injury; hoping he is back for Saturday.
    No idea what to expect from CSUP, as no common opponents this year of course.

  12. Default Re: CSU-P at Mankato....Playoff Thread

    I talked to Nate Gunn on the sideline and he said he was going to play. This is from him, no evidence from the Drs. or coaches.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Renville County, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,340
    Rep Power
    909

    Default Re: CSU-P at Mankato....Playoff Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SDfootball View Post
    I talked to Nate Gunn on the sideline and he said he was going to play. This is from him, no evidence from the Drs. or coaches.
    I hope he will, and can. He's a good team player, as well as an excellent running back.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Laker's Aker
    Posts
    39,423
    Rep Power
    551528

    Default Re: CSU-P at Mankato....Playoff Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SDfootball View Post
    I talked to Nate Gunn on the sideline and he said he was going to play. This is from him, no evidence from the Drs. or coaches.
    Taormina told me the same thing after the game about himself. Players always tell you that they are ready to go- I hope that this is the case for both of them.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    382001

    Default Re: CSU-P at Mankato....Playoff Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    Players always tell you that they are ready to go.

  16. Default Re: CSU-P at Mankato....Playoff Thread

    Gunn like Mickey would probably lack game shape and some speed. Pribyl is a beast. Kato has an embarrassment of riches at RB. They will be fine no matter who plays.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,008
    Rep Power
    31305

    Default Re: CSU-P at Mankato....Playoff Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderwolves Fan View Post
    ... tight ends are very good but used way too rarely.
    Hey! That's OUR offense! Just spent Saturday's game @ Sioux Falls Bleacher Driving (Coaching) and noting the athletic and rangy TEs are forgotten weapons. I appreciate their blocking and versatility, but their hands DO have a purpose other than clapping, pushing, and holding "things."

    Sad, that was my 1,000th post and what do I do, I gutterball it with a wiener/"things" reference. Lawdy.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    8,349
    Rep Power
    69747

    Default Re: CSU-P at Mankato....Playoff Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin44 View Post
    Hey! That's OUR offense! Just spent Saturday's game @ Sioux Falls Bleacher Driving (Coaching) and noting the athletic and rangy TEs are forgotten weapons. I appreciate their blocking and versatility, but their hands DO have a purpose other than clapping, pushing, and holding "things."

    Sad, that was my 1,000th post and what do I do, I gutterball it with a wiener/"things" reference. Lawdy.
    Haha, at least the 1,000th was memorable.

    Zach Boyd was around in 2014, he caught the pass off the trick play to send the Pack to Kansas City. As good as he's been TE Morgan Smith, #43, should be targeted far more often. Just a sophomore but 6'5 and 250 lbs with great hands, a match-up nightmare that could cause a lot of problems for defenses if ever used properly. Hey, we can both dream right!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Laker's Aker
    Posts
    39,423
    Rep Power
    551528

    Default Re: CSU-P at Mankato....Playoff Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin44 View Post
    Hey! That's OUR offense! Just spent Saturday's game @ Sioux Falls Bleacher Driving (Coaching) and noting the athletic and rangy TEs are forgotten weapons. I appreciate their blocking and versatility, but their hands DO have a purpose other than clapping, pushing, and holding "things."

    Sad, that was my 1,000th post and what do I do, I gutterball it with a wiener/"things" reference. Lawdy.
    If your post is about tight ends (or those of us who used to be) and it about football, it deserves a gold star.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mankato, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    1,619
    Rep Power
    8277

    Default Re: CSU-P at Mankato....Playoff Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    If your post is about tight ends (or those of us who used to be) and it about football, it deserves a gold star.
    AGREED

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •