Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: WT Football

Default WT Football

Poor WT, yesterday's attendance for a worthless games against a team most people never heard of was approx 5500. WT never estimates but actually count fans. A friend who went was surprised, my wife drove to Amarillo from Canyon and told me it was crowed with cars and people. It is hard to judge attendance at Kimbrough because of its size.

Default Re: WT Football

I think the WT Football program is in a state of transition but is on the right track. I was at the game yesterday and was surprised by the turnout. Normally WT fans like to clear the stands about midway through the 3rd quarter. That has not been the case this year. Even the basketball game had a good turnout afterwards.

If the fans are patient and give Hughes the time he needs, WT will be a playoff contender in a few years. People can say all they want about him driving off some of the talent but unless you are in that locker room you don't know jack! I have not been in that locker room or close to really any of the new players for a few years now but the word I have received from the few people I still have in the know is that Nesbitt's players were lazy and felt entitled. That's why the statements that keep coming out of that locker room is that it's not just a style of football that is changing but that the whole culture of the football program had to change. I do know from my limited experience of playing High School ball, being in the NAVY and being a teacher that a few bad attitudes can shift the attitude of a whole squadron, classroom or in this case football team. IMHO Hughes did the only thing he could do with that locker room. The players either changed and went with the new focus of the program or they found somewhere else to play. Some changed and got to stay others chose to leave. They DECIDED to leave when they did not conform to the new expectations and standards. This is how it works in the real world! I did not pick my new boss this year but I had to adapt to how they wanted to run our school or start my paper work to transfer to a new school. I love my students and community so I DECIDED to change. WT is feeling the growing pains right now from that decision but if Buff Nation is patient and allows Hughes time to recruit his players and grow as a head coach they will reap the harvest when all the pieces are in place.

This has already been stated but compare Texas Tech air raid offense to Alabama's balanced pro style of play. How many championships has TTU won? How many has Alabama won? Enough said. Actually just compare how many championship banners WT football has to Northwest Missouri. If Hughes can recruit and develop the players for the style of play that WT is pursuing it's going to be fun to be in Buff Nation.

Considering the Buff record this year, it was a pretty damn good crowd, IMO.

There were a lot of guys on the sidelines in white shirts not playing (being redshirted). We had the 3rd string QB making plays on special teams. I applaud Hughes in following "the plan." "The plan" calls for recruiting mostly HS kids, building from the ground up. That's a great plan for stability and long term success. How much time will that take?

However, it all depends on Hughes and his staff finding tough, disciplined, smart go-to-class kids that fit Hughes mold, But, it mostly depends on kids with those character traits that can freaking play the game. You can recruit all the "good" kids you want, but they have to be real athletes with skills that can compete. Hughes and his staff can't miss on many kids. If future WT kids can't match up (or surpass) with the best in the league, "the plan" will fail.

The next two recruiting classes have to have athletes that, by the time they are juniors, can match up to the best JUCO D1 talented kids teams like Commerce bring in every season. Hughes has to win big in the HS recruiting wars. That's going to be tough. It all comes down to recruiting talent that fits his mold. But they can't be the "leftovers." They have to be kids that can flat out play.

WT needs everything, every position. Needed are size, speed, athleticism, and play-making ability, in addition to those character traits Hughes is trying to instill in the program. That's a large bill to con tend with. You can't afford much schollie money for "projects." It all comes down to recruiting. Can they sell it? We WT faithful sure hope so.

Basically, Hughes needs to put a team on the field that is as equally talented as the top 3 teams in the conference. Until then, no system or style is going to be as successful as the administration and our fans want. We need 6 wins next season (not 4 or 5) and at least 8 in 2019.

Easy!
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 11-12-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Haven't kept up with the football season as much as I would have liked. Just been reading the box scores. It does suck to see WT getting blown out in conference games and losing to teams that would not have played them within 30 points just a few years ago.

Just reading and catching up on things my fear is WT heads in the same direction as Kingsville and Angelo where you hire big time assistants and they strike gold for a season and then go back to mediocre. I hope I am wrong and we see the benefits. Its either that or put up with the personalities and headaches that WT put up with for years and Commerce appears to be putting up with to win.

5. Default Re: WT Football

All I know is that this is the first season since 2004 that WT has had a losing record. The claim that coaches are rebuilding a "culture" remains somewhat suspicious, considering the lack of a real offensive threat this year. Don Carthel was the last best hope for WT football.

The current AD of WT has said on many occasions, including when he fired Nesbitt, that the coaches at WT are expected to win national championships. So, my questions for the AD are these:
    1. Do you also hold yourself to that same standard? That failing to hire coaches that win national championships is also grounds for being fired?
    2. Why did you fire Don Carthel again? Because Colby and him are certainly doing pretty good at Texas AM-Commerce.
    3. Is the new field going to be named Carthel Field? If not, then it should be.

It's unacceptable that the football team is now at this level. I guarantee you that Don Carthel could step in to the 2018 season and make it a winning team. And yes he could do it with high integrity and with high energy and accountability. What a shame that Carthel is not at the helm of something he rebuilt.

I am always going to support WT athletics, but please for the love of God Mr. AD, does us a favor and take responsibility for your decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by WT-ATX View Post
    All I know is that this is the first season since 2004 that WT has had a losing record. The claim that coaches are rebuilding a "culture" remains somewhat suspicious, considering the lack of a real offensive threat this year. Don Carthel was the last best hope for WT football.

The current AD of WT has said on many occasions, including when he fired Nesbitt, that the coaches at WT are expected to win national championships. So, my questions for the AD are these:
    1. Do you also hold yourself to that same standard? That failing to hire coaches that win national championships is also grounds for being fired?
    2. Why did you fire Don Carthel again? Because Colby and him are certainly doing pretty good at Texas AM-Commerce.

It's unacceptable that the football team is now at this level. I guarantee you that Don Carthel could step in to the 2018 season and make it a winning team. And yes he could do it with high integrity and with high energy and accountability. What a shame that Carthel is not at the helm of something he rebuilt.

I am always going to support WT athletics, but please for the love of God Mr. AD, does us a favor and take responsibility for your decisions.
    There is a reason Colby is the head coach at Commerce and not Don. Don is not even officially on staff as an assistant coach, there is a reason for that, its not because he doesnt want to coach anymore. He lied to his employer, then had some of his players lie as well.

Bahahahahaha....... Are you serious?

For a 1st post, this might take the cake! This is is pure gold, didn't know Donny or Colby had family members on this board. Nice to know you!

LMAO...... is this Bill Kelly?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
    Haven't kept up with the football season as much as I would have liked. Just been reading the box scores. It does suck to see WT getting blown out in conference games and losing to teams that would not have played them within 30 points just a few years ago.

Just reading and catching up on things my fear is WT heads in the same direction as Kingsville and Angelo where you hire big time assistants and they strike gold for a season and then go back to mediocre. I hope I am wrong and we see the benefits. Its either that or put up with the personalities and headaches that WT put up with for years and Commerce appears to be putting up with to win.
    Your fears and not overblown at all. I hope you WTAM people keep focus on events because mediocrity SUCKS.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffTough View Post
    I think the WT Football program is in a state of transition but is on the right track. I was at the game yesterday and was surprised by the turnout. Normally WT fans like to clear the stands about midway through the 3rd quarter. That has not been the case this year. Even the basketball game had a good turnout afterwards.

If the fans are patient and give Hughes the time he needs, WT will be a playoff contender in a few years. People can say all they want about him driving off some of the talent but unless you are in that locker room you don't know jack! I have not been in that locker room or close to really any of the new players for a few years now but the word I have received from the few people I still have in the know is that Nesbitt's players were lazy and felt entitled. That's why the statements that keep coming out of that locker room is that it's not just a style of football that is changing but that the whole culture of the football program had to change. I do know from my limited experience of playing High School ball, being in the NAVY and being a teacher that a few bad attitudes can shift the attitude of a whole squadron, classroom or in this case football team. IMHO Hughes did the only thing he could do with that locker room. The players either changed and went with the new focus of the program or they found somewhere else to play. Some changed and got to stay others chose to leave. They DECIDED to leave when they did not conform to the new expectations and standards. This is how it works in the real world! I did not pick my new boss this year but I had to adapt to how they wanted to run our school or start my paper work to transfer to a new school. I love my students and community so I DECIDED to change. WT is feeling the growing pains right now from that decision but if Buff Nation is patient and allows Hughes time to recruit his players and grow as a head coach they will reap the harvest when all the pieces are in place.

This has already been stated but compare Texas Tech air raid offense to Alabama's balanced pro style of play. How many championships has TTU won? How many has Alabama won? Enough said. Actually just compare how many championship banners WT football has to Northwest Missouri. If Hughes can recruit and develop the players for the style of play that WT is pursuing it's going to be fun to be in Buff Nation.
    Keep drinking that Kool Aid maybe it will get better tasting over time. Look, I’ve been around college sports long enough to see that certain coaches in all sports want to purge the previous coach’s players. They have their reasons and most do ok over time but DO NOT become the world beaters of the world such as Alabama who you made reference to.

No, transition is where you integrate not push the reset button and start all over.

The offensive production was OFFENSIVE in itself.

Those players who you referred to as being their decision is laughable. When you are told you are going to have your money and playing time cut back, it leaves you little choice not to move on. Don’t be blinded by the Maroon.

Finally, you made reference to my beloved Red Raiders. I can tell you that the reviews I post or not favorable when ACCOUNTABILITY is not part of the equation. Raider Nation is the biggest bunch of NEXT YEAR fans I’ve ever the pleasure of dealing with. I can’t for the life of me not understand how they cannot get a successful coaching staff from a mid major to come in there and produce a BETTER THAN AVERAGE DEFENSE. I have all but given up on a really good defense.

Arbuckle won't be returning next year. Hopefully there aren't too many others that are eligible to return

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    Arbuckle won't be returning next year. Hopefully there aren't too many others that are eligible to return
    There’s a shocker!!

Whether Hunter Hughes can be successful at WT is anyone’s guess at this point.

I recall reading on here last year that WT’s team had developed some pretty significant discipline issues. If that is true, there was some purging that had to be done. That means less talent on the field.

I don’t think we will have a clear direction on the program under Hughes until the end of year 3. Any conclusions one way or the other before that time are premature. It’s OK to be suspicious or doubtful, but it will take time for things to play out - good, bad, or mediocre.

What Don Carthel could or couldn’t do is irrelevant. Why he was fired is irrelevant.

At some point folks need to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    There’s a shocker!!
    Lol. He probably did better than 95% of players would have by not quitting mid-year.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    Whether Hunter Hughes can be successful at WT is anyone’s guess at this point.

I recall reading on here last year that WT’s team had developed some pretty significant discipline issues. If that is true, there was some purging that had to be done. That means less talent on the field.

I don’t think we will have a clear direction on the program under Hughes until the end of year 3. Any conclusions one way or the other before that time are premature. It’s OK to be suspicious or doubtful, but it will take time for things to play out - good, bad, or mediocre.

What Don Carthel could or couldn’t do is irrelevant. Why he was fired is irrelevant.

At some point folks need to move on.
    People still holding onto Don Carthel are borderline obsessed in my opinion.

I think this next recruiting class should tell us what kind of season to expect next year. If he signs some transfers that can come in and play immediately, they are ready to start winning and willing to concede philosophy in the short term. If not, we will be extremely young next year and will likely have a long season. It could be 2019 before we see much improvement in that scenario

Hughes comes from CSU pueblo, a school with fewer resources and 10 fewer scholarships. He was a part of building a National Championship team despite those short commings. Their offensive line was not big but relied on execution and skill, they had quality running backs and a QB and recievers that had good chemistry and didnt turn the ball over. The defense is where they put their superior athletes, they succeeded in whipping every LSC team in the pos, and won a National Championship.

With Wt's resources i think he will do just fine. But Buff backers need to be patient.
    Like i have said, WTs offense only needs to be marginally better to have a +.500 season. Expect next year to win a few more 17-7 games that defense is going to be much better and i reckon so will the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    I was surprised that he did not play or played very little for you. Seeing how he played at your place last year against Midwestern, I figured he would be a contributor for you this season. I seen his Tweet, earlier today with #retired.

Quote Originally Posted by BJ Hawk View Post
    I was surprised that he did not play or played very little for you. Seeing how he played at your place last year against Midwestern, I figured he would be a contributor for you this season. I seen his Tweet, earlier today with #retired.
    He seemed to struggle at the beginning of the year under center. As the year went along, they ran the shotgun more, so I don't know. He was clearly the best passer on the roster, maybe not the most athletic. It may be a blessing for him in the long run with that offensive line this year. He would have taken some beatings all year.

The coach down at Angelo was supposed to do all of the same things you guys are talking about here. Build from HS recruits, concentrate on a balanced attack, etc.
    Angelo since that time has been up and down, but I would not call them a national power since the time they hired him.
    The point is, we have all heard this argument before. To some people if you pass the ball 5 times during a game, then you aren't being balanced. These same people aren't satisfied unless every play is a run. Booooooorrrrrinnnng.
    Good coaches can come in and win without the excuses of needing 4 to 5 years to install their "system". So what if it takes some JUCO talent to get there?
    How do they stack up against other teams in a conference that is seeing its best schools move up to D1 while leaving the short sighted schools behind to measure their performance against upstart programs? Again I say------Boorrrriiing. .

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast