Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 85

Thread: WT Football

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    8,349
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    69747

    Default Re: WT Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    Hughes comes from CSU pueblo, a school with fewer resources and 10 fewer scholarships. He was a part of building a National Championship team despite those short commings. Their offensive line was not big but relied on execution and skill, they had quality running backs and a QB and recievers that had good chemistry and didnt turn the ball over. The defense is where they put their superior athletes, they succeeded in whipping every LSC team in the pos, and won a National Championship.

    With Wt's resources i think he will do just fine. But Buff backers need to be patient.
    Like i have said, WTs offense only needs to be marginally better to have a +.500 season. Expect next year to win a few more 17-7 games that defense is going to be much better and i reckon so will the offense.
    So true. Trust the process. It's why he was brought in.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,442
    Rep Power
    9436

    Default Re: WT Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderwolves Fan View Post
    So true. Trust the process. It's why he was brought in.
    Why wasn't he a HC before WT?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    4,505
    Rep Power
    190830

    Default Re: WT Football

    Why aren't you?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    3rd stall on the left
    Posts
    3,665
    Rep Power
    10073

    Default Re: WT Football

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    Why wasn't he a HC before WT?
    Are you inferring something? About 99.9% of the college head coaches roaming the sidelines were assistant coaches before being a head coach.

    I would assume this coach was hired because he coordinated a good defense at a championship program. I would call that pretty sound reasoning on WT’s part, especially once that Nick Saban turned them down.

    Let’s see where the program sits 24 months from now. That’s stlll a year too early to be examining a body of work IMO, but you’re certainly not going to get any traction turning over coaches every year or two.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    3rd stall on the left
    Posts
    3,665
    Rep Power
    10073

    Default Re: WT Football

    Quote Originally Posted by No1BuffFan View Post
    The point is, we have all heard this argument before. To some people if you pass the ball 5 times during a game, then you aren't being balanced. These same people aren't satisfied unless every play is a run. Booooooorrrrrinnnng.
    The point is, passing 55 times a game doesn’t win in November. Find me an exception.

    Championship teams at all levels control the clock and have a sound defense.

    The only thing boring to me is losing.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    3rd stall on the left
    Posts
    3,665
    Rep Power
    10073

    Default Re: WT Football

    Quote Originally Posted by No1BuffFan View Post
    Good coaches can come in and win without the excuses of needing 4 to 5 years to install their "system". So what if it takes some JUCO talent to get there?
    Has the coach made any excuses? Has he said that he didn’t have the talent to win? This will, for practical purposes, be the coach’s first recruiting class cycle. Is it too much to ask to give him one class before we start casting stones? How about we even give him ... gulp ... a couple?

  7. Default Re: WT Football

    Might want to check those facts. Colby was also part of the NCAA infractions. The difference is that A&M Commerce stuck by Colby. WT did not stick by Coach Carthel.

    My point is that adminstrators must also be held accountable for the very criteria they publicly hold their coaches and teams. Failure to win national championships was grounds for firing Nesbitt. Why shouldn't we hold the AD to those same standards and punishment? The sad reality is that Coach Carthel turned the entire culture of WT athletics and campus vibrancy around. The simple fact is that WT was an afterthought for football, until Coach Carthel made it a prime spot for D2 athletes. An AD that does not win national championships? An AD that hires a Coach with the first losing record since 2004? An AD that fires the best coach in the history of WT? An AD that fires coaches because they do not win national championships? Maybe WT needs to continue it's "culture" change through and through.

  8. Default Re: WT Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    Whether Hunter Hughes can be successful at WT is anyone’s guess at this point.

    I recall reading on here last year that WT’s team had developed some pretty significant discipline issues. If that is true, there was some purging that had to be done. That means less talent on the field.

    I don’t think we will have a clear direction on the program under Hughes until the end of year 3. Any conclusions one way or the other before that time are premature. It’s OK to be suspicious or doubtful, but it will take time for things to play out - good, bad, or mediocre.

    What Don Carthel could or couldn’t do is irrelevant. Why he was fired is irrelevant.

    At some point folks need to move on.
    It actually is quite relevant why he was fired. And the reason most folks don't want to move on is that the reasons for such harsh dismissal remain unresolved. I do think we know that this is the first losing record since 2004. We do know that the AD fired Nesbitt because he failed to win a national championship. And we do know that Colby Carthel was not fired from A&M-Commerce for the infractions at WT. So, it is quite relevant since it speaks to the questions of leadership from the AD. Again, I am loyal to WT and want what is best for the University. And perhaps it is time for a broader "culture" change at the top of the Athletic Food Chain. Perhaps we need leadership that wins national championships? Is that too much to ask, since it is precisely what the current AD has said is expected from coaches?

  9. Default Re: WT Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    Has the coach made any excuses? Has he said that he didn’t have the talent to win? This will, for practical purposes, be the coach’s first recruiting class cycle. Is it too much to ask to give him one class before we start casting stones? How about we even give him ... gulp ... a couple?
    This really has nothing to do with the current coach. This has to do with the logic and justification behind decisions being made in the athletics department. I personally hope the new coach goes undefeated and wins the national championship every year he is at WT.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    portales, nm
    Posts
    2,694
    Rep Power
    32209

    Default Re: WT Football

    Quote Originally Posted by WT-ATX View Post
    It actually is quite relevant why he was fired. And the reason most folks don't want to move on is that the reasons for such harsh dismissal remain unresolved. I do think we know that this is the first losing record since 2004. We do know that the AD fired Nesbitt because he failed to win a national championship. And we do know that Colby Carthel was not fired from A&M-Commerce for the infractions at WT. So, it is quite relevant since it speaks to the questions of leadership from the AD. Again, I am loyal to WT and want what is best for the University. And perhaps it is time for a broader "culture" change at the top of the Athletic Food Chain. Perhaps we need leadership that wins national championships? Is that too much to ask, since it is precisely what the current AD has said is expected from coaches?
    Colby didnt lie to his employer, and nesbitt got fired cause he sucked, wt last year got manhandled frequently and the overall trajectory was going down.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    3rd stall on the left
    Posts
    3,665
    Rep Power
    10073

    Default Re: WT Football

    Quote Originally Posted by WT-ATX View Post
    It actually is quite relevant why he was fired. And the reason most folks don't want to move on is that the reasons for such harsh dismissal remain unresolved.
    What rock did you crawl from under ?

    Most folks have long since moved on. Perhaps you might consider doing so yourself.

    I do recall that Mr Carthel and his attorney assured us that “the full story” would be presented by them “very soon.” Still waiting.

    The rest of your assertions are so utter garbage they don’t even justify a rebuttal.

    Continue on in your fantasy land, perhaps some day I’ll join you.

  12. #32

    Default Re: WT Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    Has the coach made any excuses? Has he said that he didn’t have the talent to win? This will, for practical purposes, be the coach’s first recruiting class cycle. Is it too much to ask to give him one class before we start casting stones? How about we even give him ... gulp ... a couple?
    The coach hasn't had to make excuses. Everyone else has done it for him.

    You grant "extensions" of time for programs that have shown dramatic improvement during a specific tenure, but perhaps have fallen just short of their goals due to any number of reasons such as injuries, schedule, etc. Why should this coach be given an automatic "extension" when he hasn't shown improvement at all, but in fact, has shown a worsening of condition of the program? I am not saying barbecue the guy on the spot today. But, he should be on a short leash.
    WT simply cannot find itself going through a 20 year case of mediocrity as was experienced in the 90's thru mid 2000's. We have had our turn at bat on that subject thank you.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,442
    Rep Power
    9436

    Default Re: WT Football

    Quote Originally Posted by WT_TKW View Post
    Why aren't you?
    That's an easy one. I enjoy owning my businesses, enjoy making money, and enjoy making my own schedule.

    You?

    Oh, and here's a good ol LMAO/LOL
    ......... just for you Barbara. ;)
    Last edited by ASUPops; 11-14-2017 at 06:00 AM.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,442
    Rep Power
    9436

    Default Re: WT Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    Are you inferring something? About 99.9% of the college head coaches roaming the sidelines were assistant coaches before being a head coach.

    I would assume this coach was hired because he coordinated a good defense at a championship program. I would call that pretty sound reasoning on WT’s part, especially once that Nick Saban turned them down.

    Let’s see where the program sits 24 months from now. That’s stlll a year too early to be examining a body of work IMO, but you’re certainly not going to get any traction turning over coaches every year or two.
    Thunderwolves Fan said in another thread, there was a reason why Hughes wasnt a HC before WT.

    Here is what Thunderwolves Fan said:

    "While he was a great DC, it should be noted how long it took him to get hired as a HC. He could very well turn into a great HC but there are reasons he is just now getting the chance."

    I asked WHY. Not inferring anything.

    If you read my posts, you would see where I said it will take 3+ years.
    Last edited by ASUPops; 11-14-2017 at 05:56 AM.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    3rd stall on the left
    Posts
    3,665
    Rep Power
    10073

    Default Re: WT Football

    Quote Originally Posted by No1BuffFan View Post
    The coach hasn't had to make excuses. Everyone else has done it for him.

    You grant "extensions" of time for programs that have shown dramatic improvement during a specific tenure, but perhaps have fallen just short of their goals due to any number of reasons such as injuries, schedule, etc. Why should this coach be given an automatic "extension" when he hasn't shown improvement at all, but in fact, has shown a worsening of condition of the program? I am not saying barbecue the guy on the spot today. But, he should be on a short leash.
    WT simply cannot find itself going through a 20 year case of mediocrity as was experienced in the 90's thru mid 2000's. We have had our turn at bat on that subject thank you.
    Agree, but this coach - any coach - should be afforded 3-4 years to build a program unless there is a complete meltdown. Last year’s recruiting class was likely lost. Add to that players quitting and some injuries and you’re going to have some lopsided games year one.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canyon, TX
    Posts
    757
    Rep Power
    5575

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,442
    Rep Power
    9436

    Default Re: WT Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    Agree, but this coach - any coach - should be afforded 3-4 years to build a program unless there is a complete meltdown. Last year’s recruiting class was likely lost. Add to that players quitting and some injuries and you’re going to have some lopsided games year one.
    Absolutely spot on.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Commerce, TX
    Posts
    150
    Rep Power
    16985

    Default Re: WT Football

    The UNA AD should have his head coach watch this video. This is exactly how you talk critically about your team AND YOURSELF.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,442
    Rep Power
    9436

    Default Re: WT Football

    First time I heard Hughes talk. I like this guy!!!

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canyon, TX
    Posts
    757
    Rep Power
    5575

    Default Re: WT Football

    I thought it was a good assessment of the year.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •