Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017-2018 Central Region Info

Contribute to D2

Default Re: 2017-2018 Central Region Info

Quote Originally Posted by NWHoops View Post
    It could happen if NW is second in region with 7 or 8 losses and NSU is first with only 2 or 3 losses. If the records are relatively close then that head to head will be big for NW.
    Seven or eight losses?! Pretty safe to say that won't be happeming.

Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    Seven or eight losses?! Pretty safe to say that won't be happeming.
    Long season has only just started. If they play to potential and have no injuries then I agree.

It could happen if NW is second in region with 7 or 8 losses and NSU is first with only 2 or 3 losses. If the records are relatively close then that head to head will be big for NW.
    I don't think head to head is weighted as heavily as you might think....

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    I don't think head to head is weighted as heavily as you might think....
    Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. If teams are fairly close on paper using the PI then why wouldn't head to head matter? Might as well just finish the regular season and look at who has highest PI and then name them the champ. What happens on the court matters more than what the numbers say.

If at the end of the year, NSU is slightly better on paper by PI than NW (or any other team), you don't think the committee is going to look at head to head? Head to head is actually listed as a primary criteria.

Which Power 5 D1 teams did the MIAA add this offseason? I must've missed the announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Which Power 5 D1 teams did the MIAA add this offseason? I must've missed the announcement.
    NW has all the pieces for another run. However, they are incorporating a lot more new players this year than last year. They will need time to gel. At least early in the year, this NW team will not be as good as last year's. They have all the potential to be but have to see where they end up.

Additionally, I think the MIAA will be better this year. I see 3 or 4 losses in conference, a trip to Lincoln Memorial will be tough, and potentially a loss in the conference tournament. They could be very good again and still have 4 or 5 losses. Not a stretch to see they could have a couple more if things don't fall right.

Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. If teams are fairly close on paper using the PI then why wouldn't head to head matter? Might as well just finish the regular season and look at who has highest PI and then name them the champ. What happens on the court matters more than what the numbers say.

If at the end of the year, NSU is slightly better on paper by PI than NW (or any other team), you don't think the committee is going to look at head to head? Head to head is actually listed as a primary criteria.
    They look at more than just PI when determining rankings.

8. Default Re: 2017-2018 Central Region Info

NW has all the pieces for another run. However, they are incorporating a lot more new players this year than last year. They will need time to gel. At least early in the year, this NW team will not be as good as last year's. They have all the potential to be but have to see where they end up.

Additionally, I think the MIAA will be better this year. I see 3 or 4 losses in conference, a trip to Lincoln Memorial will be tough, and potentially a loss in the conference tournament. They could be very good again and still have 4 or 5 losses. Not a stretch to see they could have a couple more if things don't fall right.
    Did I miss something, did Pitts graduate? As long as he's there wearing #1 for you guys, you're still the hands down favorite to(in this order) A) win the MIAA B) host the region C) win the region D) win the natty. Its been a helluva run and so far you guys have made the most of it.

They look at more than just PI when determining rankings.
    Yes, they do. Winning percentage, won-loss record, OPW, etc. And... head to head matchups.

Quote Originally Posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
    Did I miss something, did Pitts graduate? As long as he's there wearing #1 for you guys, you're still the hands down favorite to(in this order) A) win the MIAA B) host the region C) win the region D) win the natty. Its been a helluva run and so far you guys have made the most of it.
    Don't disagree that they are the favorites for much of this. However, it's like people are expecting them to have 0 or 1 loss. They can do all the things you mention and still lose more games than they did last year.

NW @ LMU?!?! That might be the D2 non-conf game of the year. Good on both programs for making that happen. NW fans will finally get a look at Dorian Pinson who missed last year's National Semifinal due to injury.

Don't disagree that they are the favorites for much of this. However, it's like people are expecting them to have 0 or 1 loss. They can do all the things you mention and still lose more games than they did last year.
    Then the MIAA coaches botched the preseason poll, because what I saw of Washburn is they certainly won't beat the Bearcats unless they played THAT poorly against the Wolves

Yes, they do. Winning percentage, won-loss record, OPW, etc. And... head to head matchups.
    But you think H2H is weighted far more than everything else, that there has to be a total lopsided comparison in order to take H2H out of the equation?

H2H is one part of the equation, not the whole thing. There doesn't have to be a 7-game difference in order for NSU to pass NWMSU. I'm not even sure there has to be a 2-game difference....

Didn’t get to see NW play, but encouraged by the results. Seems that Dougherty is going to be more assertive offensively, which will be needed as the year progresses. He was used to sharing time with Mosby last year, so will be interesting to see if he can handle 30+ minutes a game while avoiding foul trouble.

The younger guys gave solid minutes. Hawkins is completely different than Dougherty when he comes in and can really stretch the floor, opening even more driving lanes for Pitts. Will have to see how his finesse style holds up defensively.

Seems like we must have made some strides defensively against Northern in the second half. We will be leaning on defense as the season progresses.

All in all a good start.

But you think H2H is weighted far more than everything else, that there has to be a total lopsided comparison in order to take H2H out of the equation?

H2H is one part of the equation, not the whole thing. There doesn't have to be a 7-game difference in order for NSU to pass NWMSU. I'm not even sure there has to be a 2-game difference....
    I never said h2h was weighted more. The numbers I used were somewhere in the 4-6 game range.

My comment was that if two teams are relatively close in other categories, then h2h will be big. Close to me means within a couple games/winning percentage/pi. I used PI in my reference because it takes into consideration winning percentage, w/l record, owp, etc. NSU could have two more wins and two less losses than NW but be ranked right next to each other with very similar PI. That h2h could flip NW ahead in that scenario. If h2h doesn't come into play in a scenario where two teams are close then there's no reason to even have it part of the criteria.

You're talking about NSU passing NW. To me that means NW has the other criteria and the h2h. No way NSU would pass NW in that scenario.

As I initially said, agree to disagree. No more from me on something that might play out 4 months from now.

Then the MIAA coaches botched the preseason poll, because what I saw of Washburn is they certainly won't beat the Bearcats unless they played THAT poorly against the Wolves
    Maybe, but I wouldn't judge the NSIC on Moorhead record this weekend who I believe was ranked pretty high in NSIC (received a first place vote). I would look at the record from this weekend's games between NSIC and MIAA. A multitude of games would be a better indicator than one game.

I'm basing my thoughts on what teams return from last year. Also, conference games are typically much tighter since all the teams are more familiar with each other. The lone loss for NW last year was to the fourth place team in the league who didn't make the regional. That same team nearly beat them again in the conference tourney.

Washburn matches up well with NW though. Skeens is a tough matchup for the NW bigs because of his length and shot blocking ability.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatMediaStudent1 View Post
    Washburn matches up well with NW though. Skeens is a tough matchup for the NW bigs because of his length and shot blocking ability.
    Plus Washburn has the personnel to shut down Pitts......

Quote Originally Posted by 86Catillac View Post
    Like I said, I only had one game to base my theory on, just saying Washburn didn't look good. The Wolves didn't play well at all and still handled them. You will know your conference better than I. If you think you guys can lose seven games, by all means, be my guest.

Quote Originally Posted by 86Catillac View Post
    I'll believe that when I see it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast