Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: October 30th Regional Rankings (Week 2)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    897
    Blog Entries
    72
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    81064

    Default October 30th Regional Rankings (Week 2)

    I think it is just easier to start a new thread. Here are the regional rankings:

    1. Fort Hays
    2. Indianapolis
    3. Ashland
    4. Ferris
    5. NW Missouri
    6. Grand Valley
    7. Ouachita
    8. Arkansas Tech
    9. Central Missouri
    10. Harding

    I think it is safe to say the GLVC does not have the committee's respect.

    Here's the link: http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/d2

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,977
    Rep Power
    64117

    Default Re: October 30th Regional Rankings (Week 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Armo Wood View Post
    I think it is just easier to start a new thread. Here are the regional rankings:

    1. Fort Hays
    2. Indianapolis
    3. Ashland
    4. Ferris
    5. NW Missouri
    6. Grand Valley
    7. Ouachita
    8. Arkansas Tech
    9. Central Missouri
    10. Harding

    I think it is safe to say the GLVC does not have the committee's respect.

    Here's the link: http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/d2

    Gonna be something to start 0-3 and make the playoffs.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Pig's Knuckle, Arkansas
    Posts
    204
    Rep Power
    2508

    Default Re: October 30th Regional Rankings (Week 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Divisiontwo View Post
    Gonna be something to start 0-3 and make the playoffs.
    Wouldn't want to see y'all in the first round if I was some of these teams.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,977
    Rep Power
    64117

    Default Re: October 30th Regional Rankings (Week 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by ReddieMade View Post
    Wouldn't want to see y'all in the first round if I was some of these teams.
    As long as it's not NW, and it wouldn't be, we would have a shot round 1. I'm not saying we wouldn't have a chance against NW, but they definitely have our number and know how to play us.

  5. #5

    Default Re: October 30th Regional Rankings (Week 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Divisiontwo View Post
    As long as it's not NW, and it wouldn't be, we would have a shot round 1. I'm not saying we wouldn't have a chance against NW, but they definitely have our number and know how to play us.
    I would take Harding to rout UIndy at the point.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)
    Posts
    6,998
    Rep Power
    88199

    Default Re: October 30th Regional Rankings (Week 2)

    How does Harding get to 8th or higher? I can't see them jumping GV and CMO.... since CMO is ranked higher this week, how would CMO drop below Harding? And GV's SOS would keep them above Harding (if GV has 3 losses). I don't follow Harding closely, but I guess they could jump one GLVC team with a win? and then jump one more spot due to H to H to get to eight?

  7. #7

    Default Re: October 30th Regional Rankings (Week 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
    How does Harding get to 8th or higher? I can't see them jumping GV and CMO.... since CMO is ranked higher this week, how would CMO drop below Harding? And GV's SOS would keep them above Harding (if GV has 3 losses). I don't follow Harding closely, but I guess they could jump one GLVC team with a win? and then jump one more spot due to H to H to get to eight?
    Harding plays Arkansas Tech next week and they also own the head-to-head against Ouachita should Ouachita lose another game.

    Ouachita's last two game's are against Southern Arkansas (6-3) and Henderson (5-4, big time rivalry).

  8. #8

    Default Re: October 30th Regional Rankings (Week 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
    How does Harding get to 8th or higher? I can't see them jumping GV and CMO.... since CMO is ranked higher this week, how would CMO drop below Harding? And GV's SOS would keep them above Harding (if GV has 3 losses). I don't follow Harding closely, but I guess they could jump one GLVC team with a win? and then jump one more spot due to H to H to get to eight?
    Win out vs East Central and at Arkansas Tech plus a loss by Oauchita to either Southern Arkansas or Henderson State. Would have head-to-head wins over OBU and ATU. Jump over UCM after win at Tech. Get to 8 and in via Earned Access.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Poteau ok
    Posts
    863
    Rep Power
    15450

    Default Re: October 30th Regional Rankings (Week 2)

    Who would have ever thought it. Ft Hays #1 in the region. My son signed with them 5 years ago, stopped playing his soph year after his 2nd meniscus operation, and coach Brown was saying then they were going to build the program to compete with the NW's and PSU's and by golly he did!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    680
    Blog Entries
    85
    Rep Power
    36750

    Default Re: October 30th Regional Rankings (Week 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Armo Wood View Post
    Harding plays Arkansas Tech next week and they also own the head-to-head against Ouachita should Ouachita lose another game.

    Ouachita's last two game's are against Southern Arkansas (6-3) and Henderson (5-4, big time rivalry).
    Head to head doesn't often carry the weight that many think it does. My conversations with committee members in the past has indicated that H2H only plays when two teams have, essentially, identical resumes in the eyes of the committee. H2H (presuming those two teams played each other) would break the tie. H2H in and of itself (in most cases) won't cause one team to jump another simply because their records are identical.

    How the committee chooses to do things in this instance remains to be seen, but it isn't like the NFL where H2H is an absolute in terms of value and application.

  11. Default Re: October 30th Regional Rankings (Week 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Nicolette View Post
    Head to head doesn't often carry the weight that many think it does. My conversations with committee members in the past has indicated that H2H only plays when two teams have, essentially, identical resumes in the eyes of the committee. H2H (presuming those two teams played each other) would break the tie. H2H in and of itself (in most cases) won't cause one team to jump another simply because their records are identical.

    How the committee chooses to do things in this instance remains to be seen, but it isn't like the NFL where H2H is an absolute in terms of value and application.
    My understanding that head to head very seldom comes into play. Since Harding has the head to head over Ouachita for example if in the final rankings before they are release if Ouachita was number 4 and Harding was number 5 then Harding would jump over Ouachita, but if Harding was number six nothing would change between those two schools.

  12. #12

    Default Re: October 30th Regional Rankings (Week 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Nicolette View Post
    Head to head doesn't often carry the weight that many think it does. My conversations with committee members in the past has indicated that H2H only plays when two teams have, essentially, identical resumes in the eyes of the committee. H2H (presuming those two teams played each other) would break the tie. H2H in and of itself (in most cases) won't cause one team to jump another simply because their records are identical.

    How the committee chooses to do things in this instance remains to be seen, but it isn't like the NFL where H2H is an absolute in terms of value and application.
    Tony, I would just point out that SR3 typically doesn't do anything by the book--so who knows what they are going to do.

    Regarding head-to-head, as you pointed out if teams have the same resume. I don't know what you do or what you don't know about the GAC, but it is a 12-team conference that plays an 11-game conference only schedule. Ouachita and Harding have the exact same resume. Hence, my statement that head-to-head would have an impact. I can't see the logic behind a 3-loss Ouachita staying ahead of a 3-loss Central Missouri just to stay ahead of a 3-loss Harding that's just plain ludicrous--then again, as I said this is SR3 and they make their own rules.

    So in the end, I agree that we will see what the committee does, but with two weeks left anything could happen.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Anywhere He Damn Well Pleases
    Posts
    4,659
    Rep Power
    95338

    Default Re: October 30th Regional Rankings (Week 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Armo Wood View Post
    Tony, I would just point out that SR3 typically doesn't do anything by the book--so who knows what they are going to do.

    Regarding head-to-head, as you pointed out if teams have the same resume. I don't know what you do or what you don't know about the GAC, but it is a 12-team conference that plays an 11-game conference only schedule. Ouachita and Harding have the exact same resume. Hence, my statement that head-to-head would have an impact. I can't see the logic behind a 3-loss Ouachita staying ahead of a 3-loss Central Missouri just to stay ahead of a 3-loss Harding that's just plain ludicrous--then again, as I said this is SR3 and they make their own rules.

    So in the end, I agree that we will see what the committee does, but with two weeks left anything could happen.
    I'd also make this point, Armo - and specifically considering the Tech and Harding losses:

    Tech: Two losses by a combined five points, and a chance to win both games in the fourth quarter.
    Harding: Young team takes three games to really get to know the system as well as they needed to - a home loss to a Henderson State team that doesn't lose on the road, a road loss at the preseason conference favorite, and a bad 20-second stretch against a Southern Nazarene team that nobody expected to be good but is probably going to end the season with a winning record.

    Tech's losses are "better" in a sense (both the HSU and SAU losses for Harding the Bisons had to close the gap to make them as close as they were).

    With regard to Ouachita - they had a tough loss to an undefeated (at the time) Southeastern Oklahoma team that was rolling, and then a narrow loss to a Harding team that has come on incredibly strong as of late.

    Here's my prediction - a three-loss GAC team won't make the playoffs. Tech and/or Ouachita need to win out. If Ouachita wins out, I'd imagine they have the edge based on H2H and stronger losses. Along those lines, Tech folks REALLY need to be rooting for the Boll Weevils to beat HSU and SAU in the last two weeks - a loss to a 7-4 team looks a heck of a lot better than a loss to a 5-6 team.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    15,096
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: October 30th Regional Rankings (Week 2)

    If it gets to the point that one is arguing about good losses, your chances ain't really that good.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denton County, TX
    Posts
    10,933
    Rep Power
    172486

    Default Re: October 30th Regional Rankings (Week 2)

    The committee not giving the GLVC "respect" is justified, to be perfectly honest as they've generally been less than stellar in non-conference play this season:

    UIndy: 9-0, 3-0 vs. D2 Non-Con (wins over 7-2 Grand Valley, 3-6 Wayne State (MI) and 5-4 Hillsdale; will face 7-2 Notre Dame (OH) next week)
    McKendree: 6-3, 2-2 vs. D2 Non-Con (wins over 3-6 Kentucky State and Hillsdale; losses to 1-8 Davenport, which is in it's second year as a varsity program, and 4-4 Angelo State)
    Missouri S&T: 6-3, 1-2 vs. D2 Non-Con (win over 1-7 Malone; losses to 5-3 West Florida and 5-4 Northwood; does not include a win over NAIA St. Francis (IL))
    Southwest Baptist: 4-4, 1-1 vs. D2 Non-Con (win over 0-8 Mississippi College; loss to 7-1 Eastern New Mexico; one 'non-con' vs. Truman State this weekend)
    Truman State: 3-6, 0-2 vs. D2 Non-Con (losses to 4-5 Michigan Tech and Grand Valley; does not include a loss to NAIA Morningside)
    Quincy: 3-6; 1-2 vs. D2 Non-Con (win over 2-7 Alderson Broaddus; losses to 7-0 Midwestern State and 2-7 Texas-Permian Basin; does not include win over NAIA Robert Morris (IL))
    William Jewell: 1-8; 0-3 vs. D2 Non-Con (losses to 4-5 South Dakota Mines, 7-1 Texas A&M-Commerce and 8-1 Findlay - all three of whom would've been in-region opponents last season; will play Texas A&M-Kingsville next week)
    Lincoln (MO): 1-7, 1-1 vs. D2 Non-Con (win over 0-9 Lincoln (PA), loss to 5-4 Albany State - both of which are in-region since Lincoln (MO), Lincoln (PA) and Albany State are HBCUs; this does not include a loss to NAIA Langston)

    For those scoring at home, that's a combined 18-34 record vs. for UIndy's GLVC opponents to date (for NCAA strength of schedule purposes, which wouldn't factor in the head-to-head result, that's 18-28) and 5-11 vs. D2 non-conference opponents - not to mention a 1-3 mark against NAIA schools. S&T boosts the overall record to 24-38 (23-31 for SOS purposes) and 6-13 vs. D2 non-cons (but, the GLVC's record vs. NAIA schools does improve to 2-3 - so, they've got that going for them, which is nice).

    I don't have an abacus (nor the patience) to try and figure out opponent's strength of schedule or opponent's opponent's strength of schedule, but I think it'd be fair to say that the GLVC's struggles overall aren't exactly helping UIndy. At least UIndy's non-con opponents have a record of 15-12 (15-9 for SOS calculations) and they close the season out with an in-region opponent which will at worst be 7-3 (8-2 with a win over Virginia-Wise) which might or might not be enough to boost the Greyhounds to a #1 seed should Northwest Missouri defeat Fort Hays.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •