Thread: NWMSU

Default NWMSU

The Bearcats scrimmaged Rockhurst tonight. Just a few general observations.

Withus is a welcome addition and fits in seamlessly within the offensive scheme replacing Schneider. He is more of a threat inside the arc as he is willing to post up or take a 10-15 foot shot. But, like Schneider can fill it up outside the arc too. He isn’t as adept defensively as Schneider was, but as the season progresses and he spends more time in Mac’s system, he will improve.

Pitts is Pitts.

Ndow had an off night behind the arc, but did his job on the glass and defensively.

Kurth provides great energy defensively. He will need to be the slasher on offense in the absence of Woods. He also will be expected to help rebound.

Dougherty looked good offensively. I know he spent hours and hours working on his free throws and looked more comfortable there tonight.

Welty looks as if he added a few pounds of muscle and seemed noticeably better on defense. They will need him to be a consistent defender so Mac is able to keep him on the floor for his sharp shooting skills.

RS Frosh Ryan Hawkins will spell Dougherty. He can stretch the floor and likes the corner 3. His liability right now will be his lack of physicality on the defensive end. He will have to continue to improve defensively and use his length on the boards.

Tyler Dougherty is your blue collar guy who is willing to do the little things to help the team succeed.

The true frosh from Manhattan, KS has the potential to battle for minutes if Pitts needs a break or is in foul trouble. His name slips me now, but he may see increased minutes as the season progresses.

It may take 6-10 games for this team to gel, considering the youth and addition of Withus. I think they will miss Mosby, Schneider and Woods leadership and defensive toughness and intelligence the most early on. Pitts may be called upon to put his Superman cape on earlier rather than later this season to allow everybody some time to figure out their roles.

Should be an exciting season!

Default Re: NWMSU

Will Northwest be the first team to repeat as National Champs since Cal Bakersfield in 1994? I believe Bakersfield is the only team to repeat since KY Wesleyan in 1969. Very hard to repeat at any level but once in 48 years is unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Will Northwest be the first team to repeat as National Champs since Cal Bakersfield in 1994? I believe Bakersfield is the only team to repeat since KY Wesleyan in 1969. Very hard to repeat at any level but once in 48 years is unbelievable.
    That is unbelievable. Last year was a special season. They have the pieces to make a run, but will need a lot to go their way as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 86Catillac View Post
    That is unbelievable. Last year was a special season. They have the pieces to make a run, but will need a lot to go their way as well.
    Ben had a recent interview with NABC a month or so ago and he reiterated how much luck factors in to winning a Natty in basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
    Ben had a recent interview with NABC a month or so ago and he reiterated how much luck factors in to winning a Natty in basketball.
    And it's become much harder over time. There's a lot more teams in D2 than there was in the mid 1990's. Don't know the exact numbers, but there's around 300 teams in D2 now. That's probably at least 50 more than there was 25 years ago.

You mean like getting a two-year starter from a good D2 program to transfer in?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    You mean like getting a two-year starter from a good D2 program to transfer in?
    Recruiting isn't luck. #culturewins

Having your star post player tear his achilles a few mins in to a regional final is bad luck.

There is no salt like NSIC basketball salt.

Recruiting isn't luck.
    Agree with this completely. Whenever coaching is discussed and I hear/read the comment, "Of course they're winning, look at the talent they have coming back this year" or "...look at the talent they brought in this offseason," I always think, Are you saying the coaching staff just stumbled its way into a roster talented enough to win at a high level? Assembling a strong roster is part of coaching. And making the most of the talent on that roster is another part of coaching. But they aren't separate, distinct variables. (Not saying this was specifically your point, Stanger, as I'm guessing you were more making a joke, but just discussing the topic in general.)

The Bearcats scrimmaged Rockhurst tonight. Just a few general observations.

Withus is a welcome addition and fits in seamlessly within the offensive scheme replacing Schneider. He is more of a threat inside the arc as he is willing to post up or take a 10-15 foot shot. But, like Schneider can fill it up outside the arc too. He isn’t as adept defensively as Schneider was, but as the season progresses and he spends more time in Mac’s system, he will improve.

Pitts is Pitts.

Ndow had an off night behind the arc, but did his job on the glass and defensively.

Kurth provides great energy defensively. He will need to be the slasher on offense in the absence of Woods. He also will be expected to help rebound.

Dougherty looked good offensively. I know he spent hours and hours working on his free throws and looked more comfortable there tonight.

Welty looks as if he added a few pounds of muscle and seemed noticeably better on defense. They will need him to be a consistent defender so Mac is able to keep him on the floor for his sharp shooting skills.

RS Frosh Ryan Hawkins will spell Dougherty. He can stretch the floor and likes the corner 3. His liability right now will be his lack of physicality on the defensive end. He will have to continue to improve defensively and use his length on the boards.

Tyler Dougherty is your blue collar guy who is willing to do the little things to help the team succeed.

The true frosh from Manhattan, KS has the potential to battle for minutes if Pitts needs a break or is in foul trouble. His name slips me now, but he may see increased minutes as the season progresses.

It may take 6-10 games for this team to gel, considering the youth and addition of Withus. I think they will miss Mosby, Schneider and Woods leadership and defensive toughness and intelligence the most early on. Pitts may be called upon to put his Superman cape on earlier rather than later this season to allow everybody some time to figure out their roles.

Should be an exciting season!
    #20 Trevor Hudgins. http://bearcatsports.com/roster.aspx...36&path=mbball