Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GAC Power Rankings Week 8, plus extra thoughts

Contribute to D2

Default GAC Power Rankings Week 8, plus extra thoughts

1. HU - See last week’s reasoning. No one playing better (although Tech gave them a run for #1 this week.) Need a bunch of stuff to go their way, but not out of it yet.
    2. Tech - Made a statement this weekend against NWOSU. Still in the driver’s seat IMO. Have to beat HU, though.
    3. SAU - Right there with Tech in the driver’s seat, but need HU to beat ATU and need to get past OBU. If they win out and Tech falls to HU they’d at least tie with SOSU and would have the tiebreaker to go to the playoffs.
    4. OBU - Everything is in front of them. If they win out, HU beats Tech, and SOSU drops one more, they win it outright.
    5. SOSU - Still think they were a bit overrated, but not a bad team. Still have everything in front of them as well (although I doubt they run the table.) Could still beat Tech or SAU and really create major chaos.
    6. UAM - Winning out plus an HU win vs. Tech, plus one more SOSU loss would give them a share of the title with like 4 other teams probably. Crazy.

7-12. Who freaking knows? It’s impossible to rank from week to week at this point. I will say this: I still wouldn't want to see HSU when they're the road team, and the Reddies have two road games left.

So there’s three weeks to go and a ton of stuff still to be shaken out. This is about to get nuts, but here’s my best guess as to how the next three weeks play out:

OBU: Win vs. UAM, Lose vs. SAU, Lose vs. HSU (7-4)
    SAU: Win vs. HSU, Win vs. OBU, Win vs. UAM (9-2)
    Tech: Win vs. ECU, Win vs. SOSU, Win vs. HU (9-2)
    HU: Win vs. SOSU, Win vs. ECU, Lose vs. Tech (7-4)
    SOSU: Lose vs. HU, Lose vs. Tech, Win vs. ECU (7-4)

I gave HSU the BOTR win since its on the road, but it really doesn’t even matter. If you want to give that one to OBU, I still think they’ll lose in Magnolia to SAU, so it matters not.

If it were to shake out like this, Tech and SAU I suppose would be defined by the GAC as Co-Champions, even though Tech beat SAU head to head. Regardless, I think a 2-loss GAC champ gets in, and in this scenario, Tech would get the nod for the playoffs.

I will say, I think Tech should be very happy they have HU at home and not on the road in the last game of the year. This scenario, to me, also shows that its not that far fetched that HU could grab a share of the title when it’s all said and done. All they’d need is SAU to drop one and then beat Tech to force a three-way tie with like four other teams.

Anyway, that’s how I see it. If this year has proven anything, though, it’s expect the unexpected.

Default Re: GAC Power Rankings Week 8, plus extra thoughts

What is going on with the reddies? And how does it get better? They have to get a qb that can play. Do they have anybody on the roster that they feel can be ready by next year other than 2 they have now?

Quote Originally Posted by Divisiontwo View Post
    What is going on with the reddies? And how does it get better? They have to get a qb that can play. Do they have anybody on the roster that they feel can be ready by next year other than 2 they have now?
    It's not really a QB issue. Lassiter threw for 325 yesterday, completed 40 passes and his one INT hit his WR in the hands. Black isn't bad either. The issue, to me, is lack of difference makers on offense around them. We have a lot of guys who play real hard and can be solid at times, but we have no game-breakers.

There are a couple young QBs who have a chance to be good players for us, but they're gonna need this coming offseason to get ready, certainly.

325 and 16 points? Ouch. There's other issues then for sure.

I gave HSU the BOTR win since its on the road, but it really doesn’t even matter. If you want to give that one to OBU, I still think they’ll lose in Magnolia to SAU, so it matters not.

OBU VS SAU will be on neutral field in El Dorado

Quote Originally Posted by Finishempty Fred View Post

OBU VS SAU will be on neutral field in El Dorado
    Oops. Even still, it'll be a pro-SAU crowd down there. OBU doesn't travel unless it's across the street. I don't see OBU winning that one.

7. Default Re: GAC Power Rankings Week 8, plus extra thoughts

After last week my Rangers belong in the bottom 3 for now. A friend overheard someone "close to the team" say "we are in the cupcake part of our schedule now so that's a relief". Not the kind of attitude I want to hear. The problem is the last 2 weeks we have played like cupcakes. The worst back to back losses in our history. We have been pushed around all over the field far too easily. We just don't physically match up, we need better strength/conditioning. If we don't win out and end with a winning record in this wacky year we need change. I don't see much improvement in this team, the league has come back to us. SNU and Monticello are the 2 teams I see with significant improvement this year. The Henderson win means nothing anymore in light of how poorly they have played. We have grown accustomed to far better from them. I can see Henderson losing out and finishing 4-7 the way it's going for them.
    Last edited by Racous Ranger; 10-23-2017 at 01:34 PM.

No way OBU beats the Weevils.

Quote Originally Posted by Weevil Watcher View Post
    Alright

You guys are more than capable to come in get the win. But for you to say "no way" is ridiculous. You guys are not even close to being world beaters. Teams win a few games and all of a sudden they think they're the next best thing since sliced bread!!! At the end of the day you guys will still be a middle of pack team. But from you guys history, I'm sure you'd be happy with that.

11. Default Re: GAC Power Rankings Week 8, plus extra thoughts

WE ARE A GOOD BAPTIST SCHOOL AND WE FEAR NO WEEVIL!

Unless they can throw the ball a little bit and then they're a little scary.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

You guys are more than capable to come in get the win. But for you to say "no way" is ridiculous. You guys are not even close to being world beaters. Teams win a few games and all of a sudden they think they're the next best thing since sliced bread!!! At the end of the day you guys will still be a middle of pack team. But from you guys history, I'm sure you'd be happy with that.
    Hahaha this sounds like a conversation I had with you earlier this year. Ironic

Quote Originally Posted by ReddieMade View Post
    Oops. Even still, it'll be a pro-SAU crowd down there. OBU doesn't travel unless it's across the street. I don't see OBU winning that one.
    I was able to go to the OBU game at Tech this year. The whole visitor side was basically full. That wasn't across the street, and they traveled well. Crazy. Must have been a dream, because of course I should know better. ReddieMade scouts the OBU crowds at away games. Obvi.

Will it be pro-SAU, of course. It's right down the road, but please stay away from generalizations you know nothing about. I don't pretend to know about Reddie crowd size...

As much of as homer as I am, I think OBU splits the next two, but then rolls HSU. Will finish with 3 losses. Defense can have a good game against one passing attack, but not two straight weeks.

If I had to put money on it, I think they beat UAM and lose to SAU. Home against UAM will help, but mainly I don't think UAM will be able to stop run game from OBU.

Quote Originally Posted by OBUGrad View Post
    As much of as homer as I am, I think OBU splits the next two, but then rolls HSU. Will finish with 3 losses. Defense can have a good game against one passing attack, but not two straight weeks.

If I had to put money on it, I think they beat UAM and lose to SAU. Home against UAM will help, but mainly I don't think UAM will be able to stop run game from OBU.
    valid point, it will not be a 6-3 game that's for sure. And no @FinishEmptyFred we are not world beaters, but a little bit goes a long way in the Mont. I like where we are at as a team and defense has played well enough to win. Our running game has been good enough to take some pressure off of the passing game, which is how we have strung a couple together. As the weather cools all the bigs will play better, and our DL had a great 4th quarter effort against SNU this past week. If they continue to improve, I like our chances. One at a time!

Quote Originally Posted by PATRIOT View Post

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
    What was that score last year........Oh yeah, UAM 34 OBU 26..........Get ready again Fred.

What was that score last year........Oh yeah, UAM 34 OBU 26..........Get ready again Fred.
    If I remember correctly. We were without our QB, RB, and WR. Put an asterisk beside that win Weasel Watcher

Quote Originally Posted by PATRIOT View Post

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
    If I remember correctly. We were without our QB, RB, and WR. Put an asterisk beside that win Weasel Watcher
    Oh, I see how that works....

Wait, so loses don't count if you have guys injured? Sweet, glad to know none of HSU's losses this year are real in Fred's eyes

Quote Originally Posted by ReddieMade View Post
    Wait, so loses don't count if you have guys injured? Sweet, glad to know none of HSU's losses this year are real in Fred's eyes
    I never said that. Just stating that they barely beat us at home with a bunch of Cubs.

Injuries are part of the game. We had our whole offense go down last year but we still had a successful season at 7-4 with a bunch of Cubs leading the way. Goes to show that when you recruit quality over quantity you stand a better chance when injuries show their ugly head. Henderson recruits quantity hoping to find a diamond. But when they take injuries and there's no diamonds being found you end up being the new SNU. Jmo

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast