Thread: Who wins the GAC?

Contribute to D2

Default Who wins the GAC?

4 teams are tied at 6-2, 1 at 5-3 with Arkansas-Monticello at 4-3, but tied at 14 with Southern Nazarene
    Remaining schedules
    Arkansas Tech: at East Central (2-6), SE Oklahoma State (6-2), Harding (5-3)
    Ouachita Baptist: Arkansas-Monticello (4-3), at Southern Arkansas (6-2), Henderson State (4-4)
    Southern Arkansas: at Henderson State (4-4), at Ouachita Baptist (6-2) Arkansas-Monticello (4-3)
    SE Oklahoma State: Harding (5-3), Arkansas Tech (6-2), East Central (2-6)
    Harding: at SE Oklahoma State (6-2), East Central (2-6), at Arkansas Tech (6-2)
    Arkansas-Monticello: tied with S. Nazarene 14-14, at Ouachita Baptist (6-2), Henderson State (4-4), at Southern Arkansas (6-2)

Default Re: Who wins the GAC?

I don't think anyone wants to win it, but I think SAU and HU are looking strong at this point of the season. If HU wins out and SAU loses one. SAU would win for the head to head win.

OF course that's all a "What If"? Like I always say, if my aunt grew a tail, she would be a dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Redready View Post
    I don't think anyone wants to win it, but I think SAU and HU are looking strong at this point of the season. If HU wins out and SAU loses one. SAU would win for the head to head win.
    Don't forget that HU plays at Tech though at the end of the year though. That will be a real barn burner, especially if the game is anything like the game two years ago at Thone Stadium. If Tech wins that, Tech has the head-to-head against SAU.

Quote Originally Posted by Toucanbird View Post
    Don't forget that HU plays at Tech though at the end of the year though. That will be a real barn burner, especially if the game is anything like the game two years ago at Thone Stadium. If Tech wins that, Tech has the head-to-head against SAU.
    Very good point. I will probably go to that game. Not sure the BOTR will be a good game this year

Tech is in the drivers seat IMO.

The 1st place teams head-to-head:

Arkansas Tech
    *Southern Arkansas - W 28-21
    *Ouachita Baptist - L 31-35

Ouachita Baptist
    *Southeastern Oklahoma State - L 35-41
    *Arkansas Tech - W 35-31

Southeastern Oklahoma State
    *Ouachita Baptist - W 41-35
    *Southern Arkansas - L 19-49

Southern Arkansas
    *Arkansas Tech - L 21-28
    *Southeastern Oklahoma State - W 49-19

Week 10 games (November 4)
    *Ouachita Baptist vs Southern Arkansas; El Dorado, AR
    *Southeastern Oklahoma State vs Arkansas Tech; Russellville, AR

The scenario for each team is to win out and have the team that beat them to lose another game. Tiebreakers are going to be important.

There are no tiebreakers. If multiple teams finish with the same record, say OBU and ATU both have two losses, then they are co-champs. At least that's how it's been in the past. I haven't heard of anything that would change that.

Very good point. I will probably go to that game. Not sure the BOTR will be a good game this year
    I'm not counting the Roadies out in any game not played at Carpenter-Haygood.

Quote Originally Posted by OBUGrad View Post
    There are no tiebreakers. If multiple teams finish with the same record, say OBU and ATU both have two losses, then they are co-champs. At least that's how it's been in the past. I haven't heard of anything that would change that.
    They would be co-champs, but I believe a tiebreaker scenario could come into play if the GAC gets a playoff team via earned access.

Quote Originally Posted by oldweevil View Post
    I'm not counting the Roadies out in any game not played at Carpenter-Haygood.
    ^ This. HSU could take Bama if it was in Tuscaloosa. But don't make us play anyone at home.

12. Default Re: Who wins the GAC?

The GAC does not use tie breakers when deciding a champion. If HU and SAU finished as the only two loss teams, they would be co-champs.

Quote Originally Posted by ReddieMade View Post
    ^ This. HSU could take Bama if it was in Tuscaloosa. But don't make us play anyone at home.
    This has been a crazy season. I was worried that my ole alma mater was going to get Nazzed today. Ouachita has a tough game on its hands next weekend.

We've got four teams in the GAC that are 0-4 at home. Three of them are .500 or better on the road. What's up is down...

Quote Originally Posted by HUBisons1 View Post
    The GAC does not use tie breakers when deciding a champion. If HU and SAU finished as the only two loss teams, they would be co-champs.
    But Harding has 3 losses...

Quote Originally Posted by OBUGrad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HUBisons1 View Post
    The GAC does not use tie breakers when deciding a champion...
    Quote Originally Posted by oldweevil View Post
    They would be co-champs, but I believe a tiebreaker scenario could come into play if the GAC gets a playoff team via earned access.
    Per my understanding of the GAC by-laws, OBUGrad & HUBisons1 would be correct. However, the 2011 season is an interesting case to note because Henderson beat Ouachita and both teams had only 1 conference loss. Overall Ouachita was 7-3 (6-1 in GAC) & Henderson was 6-4 (4-1 in GAC). The two most likely explanations why OBU was sole champion are:
    1) OBU played more conference games than HSU (7 v 5) or
    2) Overall records of the two teams were used.
    So to say there hasn't been some sort of tiebreaker used before is not entirely true. Just for clarification, not every team in 2011 played the same number of conference games. It ranged from as many as 8 conference games (ECU & SWOSU) to as few as 5 conference games (HSU & ATU) that year--understandable given it was the GAC's first year.

Oldweevil is correct in that tiebreakers will be used for a GAC playoff spot. However, those tiebreakers for a playoff spot will not be used by the GAC, but by the SR3 football committee. Once a playoff rep is establish--assuming the GAC has a playoff rep this year--the GAC will likely use head-to-head as a tiebreaker to determine the GAC rep in the Texarkana Bowl.

What we can say definitively is that head-to-head tiebreakers will likely be used to determine who goes to the post-season.
    Last edited by Armo Wood; 10-22-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Yes. I should have been specific that the PO choice would be the winner decided by the tie breaker. I think we all remember how 2014 could have been a 3 way tie. It wasn't. OBU won BOTR and went undefeated which made them the clear winner of the GAC.

I was told by a coach that we did not tie in 2011 because we did not play as many conference games as Armo mentioned.