Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Ashland On the Move?

Default Is Ashland On the Move?

I've gotten notice as I'm sure other AU posters have of a couple of open forums for the public to give their two cents regarding Ashland's athletic program. The forums take place in late October and one in early November. I don't have the info in front of me but basically it stated President Campo and others including trustees, etc are forming a task force to decide what is the best direction for AU athletics.

I'm concerned this may be a step towards going to the GMAC. I hope I'm wrong. I'd like to hear what other AU posters think of this announcement.

Default Re: Is Ashland On the Move?

Sure hope for the GLIAC's sake that Ashland stays put. The GLIAC really needs to start thinking about giving Ashland a reason to stay in the GLIAC (i.e., might want to consider trying to coax UIndy to come on over to the GLIAC as the GLVC expands westward more).

The GLIAC is quickly running out of options for the football aspect of conference alignment, pretty much the only option at this point is UIndy. They need to do something quick to keep Ashland from jumping ship or the GLIAC is going downhill quick.

3. Default Re: Is Ashland On the Move?

I'm surprised this hasent been talked about more. From people that I have talked to there was a sense that the Board of Trustees was going to make a decision at their last meeting. It sounded to me like it was a matter of when not if the move to the GMAC was going to happen.

I love that Ashland is in the GLIAC, but it seems like they are moving further away from ohio with every move. At some point it doesn't make sense to keep traveling further away.

4. Default Re: Is Ashland On the Move?

It's not their fault, but from conversations I had in Ashland last week one of the primary reasons multiple Ohio teams have left the GLIAC is the trips to the UP. It's just a freaking nightmare for schools close to Cleveland. It's not just the money to travel it's the missed class time going 12-13 hours away from home. I really believe AU's athletic department would choose to stay in the GLIAC, especially if the teams didn't have to go to Tech and Northern. It seems the UP teams are bringing a lot of baggage to a great conference due to their location

Quote Originally Posted by eagler927 View Post
    It's not their fault, but from conversations I had in Ashland last week one of the primary reasons multiple Ohio teams have left the GLIAC is the trips to the UP. It's just a freaking nightmare for schools close to Cleveland. It's not just the money to travel it's the missed class time going 12-13 hours away from home. I really believe AU's athletic department would choose to stay in the GLIAC, especially if the teams didn't have to go to Tech and Northern. It seems the UP teams are bringing a lot of baggage to a great conference due to their location
    Going to be hard for the GLIAC to keep AU and Tiffin. As for AU wanting to go, would be completely understandable if they choose to. Would I personally like it, no, but the University must do what it deems best for the overall health of all of the programs.

All the teams that have already left make for a nightmare to schedule 11 game seasons for the GLIAC teams. I think the two Uper teams need to move to the NSIC and it will draw back Indy, Findlay and Hillsdale

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    All the teams that have already left make for a nightmare to schedule 11 game seasons for the GLIAC teams. I think the two Uper teams need to move to the NSIC and it will draw back Indy, Findlay and Hillsdale
    never happen...nor should it

8. Default Re: Is Ashland On the Move?

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles73 View Post
    Going to be hard for the GLIAC to keep AU and Tiffin. As for AU wanting to go, would be completely understandable if they choose to. Would I personally like it, no, but the University must do what it deems best for the overall health of all of the programs.
    Tiffin is already moving next season I believe. From a football standpoint, it's tough. The competition in the GLIAC can't be matched right now, particularly in the GMAC. However, as others have pointed out, the UP drives, are tough for any D2 team, and after Gannon/Mercyhurst exited, travel became more difficult for the Ohio schools. I am surprised to see a premier conference like the GLIAC, seemingly running in to issues. I don't think the GLIAC will have trouble replacing schools, if they choose to. It's just what type of competition are gaining. UIndy would fit back in to the GLIAC well, just not sure who else?

Blog Entries

Given that the NSIC already has 16 teams, it's safe to say that there is not room for any new members...let alone Tech and Northern. On top of that, if you look at the western reaches of that league Tech and Northern would actually have worse travel than they would in the GLIAC.

I get that those two schools are on an island and that it causes a lot of issue for the GLIAC's footprint. That said, they aren't going anywhere and I sure hope the league can figure out some ways to keep the roster from getting any thinner...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Nicolette View Post
    Given that the NSIC already has 16 teams, it's safe to say that there is not room for any new members...let alone Tech and Northern. On top of that, if you look at the western reaches of that league Tech and Northern would actually have worse travel than they would in the GLIAC.

I get that those two schools are on an island and that it causes a lot of issue for the GLIAC's footprint. That said, they aren't going anywhere and I sure hope the league can figure out some ways to keep the roster from getting any thinner...
    True that. After poaching Indy, it's about hoping that another conference member starts a football program, LSSU, PNW, or Wisconsin-Parkside. Or we look across the border to get some Canadian programs into the fold. Windsor University would be right across the river from Downtown Detroit, so practically in WSU's backyard. That or if the GMAC gets stupid and wants to lower the scholarship level in their league, like how some other D2 leagues have done in to lower costs, that might be enough to send some former members back to the GLIAC.

If I was a loud vocal and local member of the Ashland boosters, I would be voicing that opinion around the others at AU and at that meeting, and seeing how well the idea of them jumping ship to another league that might just end up cutting scholarships would fly there. Bet it would go over like a lead balloon.

11. Default Re: Is Ashland On the Move?

Can't remember does the league play OOC games?

Quote Originally Posted by statesmen supporter View Post
    Can't remember does the league play OOC games?
    Most in the Gliac do, Ashland played IUP, GV played Indy, Ferris and Findlay, MTU Truman, Northern and Angelo st, Northwood and Sienna Heights, Saginaw and Anderson Broadus, Tiffin and Findlay and Wayne and Walsh.

Hearing an announcement should be coming by the end of the month.

Still don't see Indy going back to GLIAC. Still believe they will follow Ashland to the GMAC.

Combine travel with more like minded schools (i.e. private) and I don't see how UIndy stays in GLVC or moves back to GLIAC.

GMAC here they come. Good move for AU and UIndy. Forget football for just a minute....its the other sports that are impacted much more than football. GMAC footprint makes to much sense not to do it.

Not if....but when.

I also see it as being inevitable! Travel from Northern Ohio to the UP is crappy, especially for all sports, football being on Saturday doesn't affect a student athlete as much as those sports who play throughout the week. I dont know how I feel about losing out on playing the perennial powers in football of GVSU and Ferris, but in SR 1 the Eagles would have an easier path in most years. However, will the competition level dropping affect recruiting, or will the possibility of a bunch of playoff runs help it! Definitely interesting.

Dumbing down of Eagle Sports. Going to GMAC would be worse than the inclusion of girls in Boy Scouts.

17. Default Re: Is Ashland On the Move?

While the GLIAC will still be more dominant most years, if both Ashland and UIndy join the GMAC, that will help lift the football competition. Ashland, UIndy, ODU has had some good teams, if Hillsdale and Findlay can continue to improve, then it won't necessarily be a cake walk every year.

Quote Originally Posted by HoundDog View Post
    Still don't see Indy going back to GLIAC. Still believe they will follow Ashland to the GMAC.

Combine travel with more like minded schools (i.e. private) and I don't see how UIndy stays in GLVC or moves back to GLIAC.

GMAC here they come. Good move for AU and UIndy. Forget football for just a minute....its the other sports that are impacted much more than football. GMAC footprint makes to much sense not to do it.

Not if....but when.
    Bad move for both......dumbing down of programs

19. Default Re: Is Ashland On the Move?

Don't forget about Tiffin. That program is on the way up also.

"Dumbing down of programs".......I'll be the first to admit the GLVC isn't a good football conference. Could it be possible that UIndy going to a lesser conference has actually made the program stronger over time? Win and kids want to go play for a winner....is that possible? Collectively....top to bottom....UIndy has had as much talent over the last few years as any time in recent memory....could that also be possible? Maybe....just maybe....they've been able to recruit more talented players.....by winning. Crazy thought I know. Last year was a fluke that probably helped the program in the long run as changes were made that are showing results this year.

UIndy needs to have some playoff success for the non-believers to finally believe.....totally get that. Could they withstand the rigors of the GLIAC week in and week out....we'll never know. But having watched them for 15+ years....this years team is as talented as they've had in awhile. A 1-3 playoff record over the last 5 years doesn't get anyone excited. Hopeful that will change this year. Time will tell.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast