Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Ashland On the Move?

Contribute to D2

Default Re: Is Ashland On the Move?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    Why would Ashland want to move when they are the top team in the GLIAC right now?
    For the same reason everything in the world is moved by, MONEY! Ashland has put a lot of financial backing into its sports programs, trying to match the state schools in the Gliac. Hillsdale, ODU, Findlay and Tiffin IMO didn’t want to make this financial sacrifice. Ashland is now weighing this financial option.

2. Default Re: Is Ashland On the Move?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    Why would Ashland want to move when they are the top team in the GLIAC right now?
    Because our administration is full of pussies that don’t understand college football, and don’t understand the fact that it is the driver of the athletic department.

We spend a damn decade trying to become an elite football program in D2, and just when we’re turning the corner our idiotic administration decides it’s time to completely cut our legs out from under us and send us to the minor leagues. They can go to hell. I’m done supporting this program if they go through with this crap and I know a lot of alumni who feel the exact same way.

Quote Originally Posted by ashlandalum03 View Post
    Because our administration is full of pussies that don’t understand college football, and don’t understand the fact that it is the driver of the athletic department.

We spend a damn decade trying to become an elite football program in D2, and just when we’re turning the corner our idiotic administration decides it’s time to completely cut our legs out from under us and send us to the minor leagues. They can go to hell. I’m done supporting this program if they go through with this crap and I know a lot of alumni who feel the exact same way.

Totally agree. All programs on upswing......
    This would hurt across board

4. Default Re: Is Ashland On the Move?

So let's look at a hypothetical. What if we stay in the GLIAC and make the playoffs twice in the next 10 years. We are in the GMAC and we make it 6 times in the next 10 years. I don't think it's far fetched. Being in SR3 is a huge disadvantage when it comes to making the playoffs. That should be taken into consideration. We are sitting on an 8 game winning streak but if we lose to GVSU we are probably out with a 9-2 record. How many times do Eagles fans want to finish 9-2 and not get in? That's the reality of being in the toughest region in the country

Quote Originally Posted by eagler927 View Post
    So let's look at a hypothetical. What if we stay in the GLIAC and make the playoffs twice in the next 10 years. We are in the GMAC and we make it 6 times in the next 10 years. I don't think it's far fetched. Being in SR3 is a huge disadvantage when it comes to making the playoffs. That should be taken into consideration. We are sitting on an 8 game winning streak but if we lose to GVSU we are probably out with a 9-2 record. How many times do Eagles fans want to finish 9-2 and not get in? That's the reality of being in the toughest region in the country
    well, Central MO lost today knocking them down with 3 losses so they are out of the top 7 and probably the top 10 - so in your scenario IF GV wins and we both finish at 9-2 there is a very good chance you would get in - as the GLIAC would be 9-1, 9-2, 9-2 - we could have 3 teams in - MIAA at best will have 11-0, 10-1 and 8-3 - GLVC will have 11-0 and 8-3 and the GAC at best could have 2 teams at 9-2 - I think, not sure if they play each other later in the season??? - the GAC is what we have to watch - IF they just finish with one - Central MO may be knocked out of the Top 7 and Ouachita take its place at the 7th seed ?? - Could see - 1. UIndy - 2. Ft Hays - 3. NWMS - 4. Ashland - 5. Ferris - 6. GVSU - 7. Ouachita

SR3 Rank School In-Region Division II
    1. Northwest MO 8-0 8-0 (LOST today - best 10-1 - big game remaining, FT Hays)
    2. Indianapolis 8-0 8-0 (WON today - best 11-0 - big game remaining, NDC)
    3. Fort Hays 8-0 8-0 (WON today - best 11-0 - big game remaining, NWMS)
    4. Ashland 7-1 7-1 (WON today - best 10-1 - big game remaining, GVSU)
    5. Ferris State 6-1 6-1 (WON today - best 9-1 - big game remaining, ------)
    6. Central Missouri 6-2 6-2 (LOST today - best 8-3 - big game remaining, ?????)
    7. Grand Valley 6-2 6-2 (WON today - best 9-2 - big game remaining, Ashlnd)

8. Ouachita Baptist 6-2 6-2 (WON today - best 9-2)
    9. Arkansas Tech 6-2 6-2 (WON today - best 9-2)
    10. Tiffin 5-3 5-3 (LOST today - best 7-4)
    Last edited by BillyGV; 10-28-2017 at 08:19 PM.

6. Default Re: Is Ashland On the Move?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGV View Post
    well, Central MO lost today knocking them down with 3 losses so they are out of the top 7 and probably the top 10 - so in your scenario IF GV wins and we both finish at 9-2 there is a very good chance you would get in - as the GLIAC would be 9-1, 9-2, 9-2 - we could have 3 teams in - MIAA at best will have 11-0, 10-1 and 8-3 - GLVC will have 11-0 and 8-3 and the GAC at best could have 2 teams at 9-2 - I think, not sure if they play each other later in the season??? - the GAC is what we have to watch - IF they just finish with one - Central MO may be knocked out of the Top 7 and Ouachita take its place at the 7th seed ?? - Could see - 1. UIndy - 2. Ft Hays - 3. NWMS - 4. Ashland - 5. Ferris - 6. GVSU - 7. Ouachita

9. Arkansas Tech 6-2 6-2 (LOST today - best 8-3)
    Correction: Arkansas Tech WON - best 9-2 (38-10 @ East Central)

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGV View Post

9. Arkansas Tech 6-2 6-2 (WON today - best 9-2)
    Ouachita defeated Arkansas Tech 35-31 on Sept. 30, so they'd have a tiebreaker. However, Ouachita closes out the season with Henderson State, and that's always a rivalry game where you throw the records out the window.

Here's the rest of the schedules for each of the currently ranked teams:

1. NW Missouri (8-1): vs. Fort Hays (9-0), at Missouri Western (4-5)
    2. UIndy (9-0): vs. Missouri S&T (6-3), vs. Notre Dame (Ohio) (7-2)
    3. Fort Hays (9-0): at NW Missouri (8-1), vs. Nebraska-Kearney (3-6)
    4. Ashland (8-1): vs. Grand Valley (7-2), vs. Saginaw Valley (5-4)
    5. Ferris State (7-1): at Davenport (1-8), at Michigan Tech (4-5)
    6. Central Missouri (6-3): vs. Northeastern State (1-8), at Lindenwood (2-6)
    7. Grand Valley (7-2): at Ashland (8-1), vs. Tiffin (5-4)
    8. Ouachita Baptist (7-2): vs. Southern Arkansas (at ElDorado, Ark.) (6-3), vs. Henderson State (5-4)
    9. Arkansas Tech (7-2): vs. Southeastern Oklahoma (6-3), vs. Harding (6-3)
    10. Tiffin (5-4): vs. Michigan Tech (4-5), at Grand Valley (7-2)

we look across the border to get some Canadian programs into the fold. Windsor University would be right across the river from Downtown Detroit, so practically in WSU's backyard.
    I know that the University of Windsor looks like low hanging fruit, especially with the sparse number of D2 football playing schools in the area. My wife was raised in Windsor and we still have friends who live there that we visit. Also, I worked as a consultant for a large company in Windsor for nearly a year-and-a-half. Most of my colleagues on that job were UW grads.

According to my contacts in Windsor:

Football doesn't have large support in Windsor. On a 70 degree day in September, playing a traditional rival at home, UW might draw 1000 fans to watch the game. This is in a metro area of 319,000 people and a campus of 13,500 students.

I noted during my time in the city that I never saw UW gear either in the office or on the street. There were people wearing UM gear on the street.

UW plays in the Ontario University Athletics a well organized, largely bus, league which contains many traditional rivals for the Lancers.

It doesn't appear to me that there is sufficient reason for the university to pull a "Simon Fraser U" maneuver and join a US athletic conference.

Just remember these decisions come from administration. Lee Owens isn't making this decision. His players aren't making this decision. Don't stop supporting them because of this decision. Hillsdale College has made disappointing decisions in the past but, as angry as they might make me, I am not going to stop supporting Otter and his players. Their bosses make those decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by chargerblue View Post
    Just remember these decisions come from administration. Lee Owens isn't making this decision. His players aren't making this decision. Don't stop supporting them because of this decision. Hillsdale College has made disappointing decisions in the past but, as angry as they might make me, I am not going to stop supporting Otter and his players. Their bosses make those decisions.
    Well said Charger! I have been supporting AU Athletics for a long time and would I be upset with a move to the GMAC, of course I would just like every other supporter who has seen the Athletic department as whole make tremendous gains and compete with the best. But if they make the move you can't jump ship. They are going to need our continued support. Instead of crying about playing lesser competition or coming up with reasons AU wont be able to continue bringing in great student athletes, let's challenge the athletic department as well as the other members to build the GMAC into a great conference. Will it be top heavy for a while? Probably but the lesser schools need to find the right coaches and challenge them to provide a competitive athletic teams. Hopefully we stay in the GLIAC but if we move, we will make the best of it and we will adjust.

There is no guarantee that the GMAC will be in SR1 forever.

12. Default Re: Is Ashland On the Move?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    There is no guarantee that the GMAC will be in SR1 forever.
    True, but the foreseeable future if Ashland moves they move into a conference that's easier than the GLIAC, and into a region that's easier than SR3. Can't work about 5 years from now. I also don't see them adjusting the regions very much unless there's a huge shift in the amount of teams in a given region. Right now they have close to the same number of teams in each region which appears to be there objective more than equally spreading out the power conferences

Another impediment to Windsor joining the GLIAC, like Simon Fraser did in the GNAC, is that Canadian colleges largely play the same rules as the CFL.
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...otball%20rules
    Of course, SFU overcame this situation and UW could also, if they were motivated to make the change.

14. Default Re: Is Ashland On the Move?

I'll bet before the year is out there will be an announcement about Ashland's athletic future and it's looking like the GMAC is the selection.

I'll bet before the year is out there will be an announcement about Ashland's athletic future and it's looking like the GMAC is the selection.
    Praying you are wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by richald View Post
    Praying you are wrong....
    Why? You'll be the 1-seed in SR1 for the next 10 years. You won't lose a conference game for a decade lol. Probably gonna get at least five trips to the national semifinals in your first six or seven years.

17. Default Re: Is Ashland On the Move?

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    Why? You'll be the 1-seed in SR1 for the next 10 years. You won't lose a conference game for a decade lol. Probably gonna get at least five trips to the national semifinals in your first six or seven years.
    They lost the the #1 seed in SR1 this past year....

Quote Originally Posted by ESU Warrior View Post
    They lost the the #1 seed in SR1 this past year....

19. Default Re: Is Ashland On the Move?

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    Ignorance is bliss

I've sent emails to Admin at Ashland. Usually get a response.....nothing
    Last edited by richald; 12-07-2017 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Grammar

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast