Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Emporia at Lindenwood

Contribute to D2

Default Emporia at Lindenwood

So ya'll hornets wanna talk about your upcoming trip to St. Chuck?

I'm A$$ is still sore from the beat down by the Griffons.

Default Re: Emporia at Lindenwood

Which will be greater? The total points scored or the number of cheerleaders on the sideline?

Quote Originally Posted by NW Normal View Post
    Which will be greater? The total points scored or the number of cheerleaders on the sideline?
    Hope you're not complaining about the number of cheerleaders. I find that they add to the ambiance and...ahem... scenery of the stadium :)

Quote Originally Posted by bigsig50 View Post
    So ya'll hornets wanna talk about your upcoming trip to St. Chuck?

I'm A$$ is still sore from the beat down by the Griffons.
    That's a 15 yard penalty for improper grammar use...

Quote Originally Posted by GreenwoodBearcat View Post
    That's a 15 yard penalty for improper grammar use...
    Yikes.... me bad.

Any ESU fans coming to the game?

It's LU's homecoming. Lot's of on campus events/entertainment including a pre and post game concert by a local 80's cover band. My wife and I actually happened upon them on a date night last weekend. I've seen them a few other times around town over the year. They're pretty fun put on a good show.

Shoot me a message if you'll be in town. I'll have a cold one waiting for you!

http://lindenwoodlions.com/news/2017...omecoming.aspx

Should be a decent following for the Hornets. Maybe not as many as were in Edmond but still a good number. Several guys on the two deep from the St. Louis area - Jarrett Strode, Donovan Walker, Stephen Williams, Austin Unterreiner to name a few.
    If I remember right the last time we were there for the Lions homecoming we had to wait for the parade to pass through campus before we could actually get to the stadium. We did get some candy tossed our way as we sat in the van.

Seems like we always end up in a tight game with Lindenwood.
    Last year Marstall scored with like 12 seconds left to break a tie (although I never had a doubt that we would score.)
    Two years ago we ran out the final 4:41 to end the game in a 20-13 victory on the MIAA -TV network.
    Hornets won in blowouts in 2014 and 2013. ESU won 37-22 (led 37-8 in 4th quarter) in the first game after Brent Wilson broke his collarbone in 2014 after the Hornets dropped 52 in a win in 2013.
    The first matchup was the last time ESU tossed a shutout as the Hornets improved to 7-0 and dropped the Lions to 5-2 with a 13-0 win in Welch Stadium.

After what happened in St. Joe last weekend, I really have no clue what to think about this matchup. Statistically speaking, both teams seem pretty even aside from ESU’s outstanding passing game with Marstall. LU’s 6th ranked offense will be pitted against ESU’s 8th ranked defense. ESU’s 1st ranked offense will be up against a 7th ranked defense for LU.

Whether or not the Lion’s defense can bottle up the Hornet’s passing game will be a huge factor in this game. The Lions do boast the #2 pass defense in the league, and the Hornets have faced the bottom of the league in terms of pass defense, so there is reason for hope. However, anyone with an ounce of football IQ will be able to discern that the reason for the Lion’s decent numbers against the pass is the fact they can’t stop the run. Unsurprisingly, as the season has progresses, it seems our lack of depth is getting exposed a bit. I imagine the Lions will continue trying the bend but don’t break approach. While the Lions hang out at the bottom of the league in terms of stopping the run, they sit at #5 in terms of score defense. They’ll give up some yards, but they don’t always correlate to points given up. Also on the bright side for LU, is the fact that they’ve faced the top 4 rushing offenses in the league so far. In fact, except for UCM, the rest of their games will be against teams in the bottom half of the league in terms of running the ball.
    On the offensive side of the ball for LU, it’s going to depend on our OL health. Playing with 4 backups and 1 starter absolutely neutered us last week. Najee probably started feeling like he needed to do more and made some mistakes. Until last week, he’s enjoyed a pretty clean pocket and has shown great composure when the pass rush has gotten to him. LU should be able to move the ball against ESU if our OL situation is favorable. I’d like to see us commit to the run a bit more and try to wear them down. Najee, Prince, Warren, Sparks and co. vs. the number 10 pass defense in the conference looks like a nice match up, but we saw what happens whenever a defense doesn’t have to worry about the run game.

LU has always played the Hornets tough. ESU seems to be having a bit of a disappointing season, but will look towards getting some momentum after handling NSU last week. This is a tough game to call, and I could honestly see the ESU offense completely taking over the game. But as always, I’ll bet on the boys from St. Chuck. A loss like last week can be enough to help a team refocus during practice and preparation. Hoping Stugart, Hvorka, and Marshall gave these boys a bit of a wakeup call.

A great homecoming crowd and atmosphere can’t hurt either!

LU- 27
    ESU-24

One of the things about football is that you have small sample sizes for some of these statistics. Part of the reason that UNK and UCO are at the bottom of the league in passing is because Marstall threw for 435 and 429 respectively against them. That kind of skews their numbers. ESU has also played against the #1 and #3 passing defenses in the league.

Yes the season is disappointing at this point but there is a lot of football left and I would say that the potential for a 9-3 or 8-4 season is still there if everything falls into place. We were probably a little over rated to start out considering how much the Hornets lost on defense from last year, but that is probably the first time in forever ESU has been truly over rated. Even in 2014 when they finished 4-7 after being decimated by injuries, they were only picked to finish fourth in the coaches poll.

11. Default Re: Emporia at Lindenwood

Inspired by Reload's post last week, I'll try to post more on here to support the Hornets.

To me, this game hinges on Emporia's defense. Despite playing a great game last week, essentially shutting out NSU (TD pass was their best WR 1 on 1 against our 6th string DB lol) they did it against a very poor team playing with a true freshman QB who was unfortunately thrown into the fire this year. This game will be a tough test for our defense with all the playmakers LU has on Offense. I have confidence that the coaches and players on that side of the ball are coming into this game with a chip on their shoulder. The offense is gonna put points on the board and probably lots of them. So as long as ESU can make some key stops and maybe generate a few turnovers, the offense should be able to take over the game. Good luck to both teams though and hope to see a clean game with no injuries for either team.

ESU - 48
    LU - 28

Quote Originally Posted by Nightman420 View Post
    Inspired by Reload's post last week, I'll try to post more on here to support the Hornets.

To me, this game hinges on Emporia's defense. Despite playing a great game last week, essentially shutting out NSU (TD pass was their best WR 1 on 1 against our 6th string DB lol) they did it against a very poor team playing with a true freshman QB who was unfortunately thrown into the fire this year. This game will be a tough test for our defense with all the playmakers LU has on Offense. I have confidence that the coaches and players on that side of the ball are coming into this game with a chip on their shoulder. The offense is gonna put points on the board and probably lots of them. So as long as ESU can make some key stops and maybe generate a few turnovers, the offense should be able to take over the game. Good luck to both teams though and hope to see a clean game with no injuries for either team.

ESU - 48
    LU - 28
    Solid first post. Welcome to the board!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nightman420 View Post

ESU - 48
    LU - 28

Welcome to the board!

I assume that somewhere in Topeka there is a WU fan that is a champion of the sun, a master of karate, and has friendship for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetfan View Post
    One of the things about football is that you have small sample sizes for some of these statistics. Part of the reason that UNK and UCO are at the bottom of the league in passing is because Marstall threw for 435 and 429 respectively against them. That kind of skews their numbers. ESU has also played against the #1 and #3 passing defenses in the league.

Yes the season is disappointing at this point but there is a lot of football left and I would say that the potential for a 9-3 or 8-4 season is still there if everything falls into place. We were probably a little over rated to start out considering how much the Hornets lost on defense from last year, but that is probably the first time in forever ESU has been truly over rated. Even in 2014 when they finished 4-7 after being decimated by injuries, they were only picked to finish fourth in the coaches poll.
    Curious how a 9-3 season is considered a disappointment in Emporia?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spider 2 Y Banana View Post
    Curious how a 9-3 season is considered a disappointment in Emporia?
    Maybe because they won't be in the playoffs after they've won games the past two years, only losing to the eventual NC both times?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetfan View Post

Agreed on pass attack part. Meant no disrespect. Marstall can win a game single handily.

I'll be interested to see how this plays out. The teams that have shredded LU have done it on the ground.

17. Default Re: Emporia at Lindenwood

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carlson View Post
    Welcome to the board!

I assume that somewhere in Topeka there is a WU fan that is a champion of the sun, a master of karate, and has friendship for everyone.
    Wouldn't be a proper rivalry without Dayman.

Maybe because they won't be in the playoffs after they've won games the past two years, only losing to the eventual NC both times?
    Understand that part but I think 11-2 (or whatever) is the exception rather than the norm considering the overal record last 10 seasons is 64-52. I'm by no means knocking them I just don't think 9-3 should be considered a disappointment.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spider 2 Y Banana View Post
    Understand that part but I think 11-2 (or whatever) is the exception rather than the norm considering the overal record last 10 seasons is 64-52. I'm by no means knocking them I just don't think 9-3 should be considered a disappointment.
    Absolutely, but you're talking in hindsight. Disappointment is all about not meeting expectations, and I believe the Hornets were expecting to have less than 3 losses at this point (especially considering what they returned on offense), and be in the PO conversation.

No question if they finish 9-3 Hornet fans will look back and deem it a successful season (as they should). But ask them now, and they're disappointed.

Absolutely, but you're talking in hindsight. Disappointment is all about not meeting expectations, and I believe the Hornets were expecting to have less than 3 losses at this point (especially considering what they returned on offense), and be in the PO conversation.

No question if they finish 9-3 Hornet fans will look back and deem it a successful season (as they should). But ask them now, and they're disappointed.
    Exactly. I think that we live in the here and now so being a .500 team is a disappointment. If we go 8-3 (big if in the MIAA) and then win a bowl game it will be a successful season. If that happens we'd be Kansas State Champs with wins over FHSU, WU and PSU, we'd end the season with a win and we would be returning our starting QB, RB, three of four WR and three of five OL on offense to go with three of four DL, two of three LB, and two of four starting DB on defense.
    Northwest's success has really skewed the perception of what is a successful season in the MIAA.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast