Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tarleton creates task force for potential NCAA D-I invite

Contribute to D2

Default Tarleton creates task force for potential NCAA D-I invite

Is Tarleton serious about going D1?

Default Re: Tarleton creates task force for potential NCAA D-I invite

Why would they? Do they think they can compete better at mens basketball?

Its not about competing right now, look at Incarnate Word.

There is a $1 million plus application fee for D1. I guess Mike Myers would pony up if it came down to them getting accepted.

The move to D1 requires an invitation from an existing conference. I’m not sure that’s feaaible right now. The only nearby d1/FCS conference is the Southland, which has said pretty clearly it isn’t interested in further expansion at this point. Most Southland presidents seem to think taking on three new members at once has damaged its credibility at least in the short term and they are not eager to take on another d2 move up like ACU and UIW or football start up like Houston Baptist until those programs become more competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by catatonic View Post
    The move to D1 requires an invitation from an existing conference. I’m not sure that’s feaaible right now. The only nearby d1/FCS conference is the Southland, which has said pretty clearly it isn’t interested in further expansion at this point. Most Southland presidents seem to think taking on three new members at once has damaged its credibility at least in the short term and they are not eager to take on another d2 move up like ACU and UIW or football start up like Houston Baptist until those programs become more competitive.
    Not what I was told from McNeese folks. Said the conference sees the DFW area as vital to Soutland. The conference is salivating over TAMUC and Tarleton because of their location and enrollment numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    Why would they? Do they think they can compete better at mens basketball?
    For the 653rd time, NCAA Division 1 has zero to do with success or lack thereof on the field. It is a business decision. Division 1 is the highest level of collegiate sports.

There is a tremendous amount of panache and visibility that accompanies being D1 that D2 can never replicate. 99% of universities aspire to it, most can't afford it. Those that can pay the freight should do it, and usually do.

The LSC Heartland merger makes more sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Not what I was told from McNeese folks. Said the conference sees the DFW area as vital to Soutland. The conference is salivating over TAMUC and Tarleton because of their location and enrollment numbers.
    SLC conference Commissioner Tom Burnett was asked about expansion about a year ago. This was his response:

Q: Any movements expected with new Southland membership possibilities?
    TB: Not at this time. While always an interesting subject for some, the Southland presidents have not indicated any recent interest in exploring new members, and the subject has not been on any recent meeting agendas. As the past has shown us, things can change, but there’s nothing to drive new membership at this point.
    I’m not hearing anything about expansion currently although that could change if Sam Houston or Lamar get an invite from a FBS conference or if the SLC decides to split into two divisions. If/when expansion is discussed access to the metroplex market would be ideal.

The other issue that the SLC faces is whether the foundering LA schools can continue to pay the freight.

Nickels and McNeese are both bleeding red ink by the barrel.
    Last edited by Herb Street; 10-08-2017 at 08:14 PM.

Southland? Sh$! Boys... we going to the Mountain West! Or better... SWAC!! Wouldn't that be great for the visiting teams!

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    The other issue that the SLC faces is whether the foundering LA schools can continue to pay the freight.
    Herb you are spot on. Another year another debt crisis for Louisiana. This time $1.2 billion shortfall. There is a plan to combine SE La, Nicholls and UNO because they are within an hour’s drive from each other. At some point something has to give.

Don’t they do this every year?......LOL

Quote Originally Posted by wisdomgymrat View Post
    Southland? Sh$! Boys... we going to the Mountain West! Or better... SWAC!! Wouldn't that be great for the visiting teams!
    Lol at the SWAC.

Herb you are spot on. Another year another debt crisis for Louisiana. This time $1.2 billion shortfall. There is a plan to combine SE La, Nicholls and UNO because they are within an hour’s drive from each other. At some point something has to give.
    At some point LA will be forced to act but since they have been talking about the financial crisis and mergers/closings since before ACU joined the Southland, I’m not sure about a time line or which schools will be merged/closed/privatized.

Merging UNO, Nicholls and SLU would reduce the number of football programs in the Southland by one, from 11 to 10 (UNO does not play football) . At that point the conference could look for a replacement or not without disrupting the present scheduling format of 9 conference games.

I’m not as sure as some of you that the SLC would be open to expansion even if a couple of the LA schools merge but I would personally love for a former Lone Star rival to join the Southland. ACU has no rival games in the current conference. UIW was new to the LSC and wasn’t much of a threat to ACU or anyone else in D2, whereas ACU has a long history of playing Tarleton with each school having success at different times in history.

One of the obstacles Tarleton would need to address is the fear that taking on another D2 move up in the near term would push Sam Houston out the door. Their fans have been clear that expansion has hurt their SOS and had a negative impact on seeding for play offs. Many of them remain already advocating for a move to CUSA or the AAC. Adding another school might Well force Sam to pursue these options.

Quote Originally Posted by catatonic View Post
    At some point LA will be forced to act but since they have been talking about the financial crisis and mergers/closings since before ACU joined the Southland, I’m not sure about a time line or which schools will be merged/closed/privatized.

Merging UNO, Nicholls and SLU would reduce the number of football programs in the Southland by one, from 11 to 10 (UNO does not play football) . At that point the conference could look for a replacement or not without disrupting the present scheduling format of 9 conference games.

I’m not as sure as some of you that the SLC would be open to expansion even if a couple of the LA schools merge but I would personally love for a former Lone Star rival to join the Southland. ACU has no rival games in the current conference. UIW was new to the LSC and wasn’t much of a threat to ACU or anyone else in D2, whereas ACU has a long history of playing Tarleton with each school having success at different times in history.

One of the obstacles Tarleton would need to address is the fear that taking on another D2 move up in the near term would push Sam Houston out the door. Their fans have been clear that expansion has hurt their SOS and had a negative impact on seeding for play offs. Many of them remain already advocating for a move to CUSA or the AAC. Adding another school might Well force Sam to pursue these options.
    You are 100% correct. SHSU will not stay if another DII moves to the SLC. Zero question about that.

As far as Tarleton, TAMUC or any LSC team. Of COURSE they are going to have a task force "research" it at some point. Just as ASU did a few years back.

Should that "research" find a move to D1AA is feasible, then it's a wait and see for an invite from a conference.

But best of luck to Tarleton on thier endeavors.

18. Default Re: Tarleton creates task force for potential NCAA D-I invite

the only thing I see the Southland Conference may possibly end up doing is getting to 14 teams in football so they can split of into North vs. South format where team will only have about 2 cross over game sort of like the Old LSC. This will allow team to still schedule some stronger SOS games. Having Commerce and Tarleton would be a great additional pick up near the Metroplex and one more football school would make it 14. WT is way to far Southwest from any of the schools to be in consideration to be in the mix WT.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    You are 100% correct. SHSU will not stay if another DII moves to the SLC. Zero question about that.

As far as Tarleton, TAMUC or any LSC team. Of COURSE they are going to have a task force "research" it at some point. Just as ASU did a few years back.

Should that "research" find a move to D1AA is feasible, then it's a wait and see for an invite from a conference.

But best of luck to Tarleton on thier endeavors.
    Sam Houston wants out of the Southland Conference yesterday regardless of who else joins.

Sam Houston wants out of the Southland Conference yesterday regardless of who else joins.
    Lamar wants to move up although no one wants them. Sam Houston, not so much.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast