Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tarleton creates task force for potential NCAA D-I invite

Default Re: Tarleton creates task force for potential NCAA D-I invite

Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    Thats why they created the gac.
    The Arkansas schools that help create the GAC Had an issue with the former GSC Commissioner was one of the reasons they left the GSC not because they couldn’t complete. Montevallo left and went to the Peach Belt and now with a different Commissioner they’ve came back to the GSC. Even the GSC schools that always been members and stayed had issues with that Commissioner.

Quote Originally Posted by North Ala Screwdriver View Post
    The Arkansas schools that help create the GAC Had an issue with the former GSC Commissioner was one of the reasons they left the GSC not because they couldn’t complete. Montevallo left and went to the Peach Belt and now with a different Commissioner they’ve came back to the GSC. Even the GSC schools that always been members and stayed had issues with that Commissioner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Armo Wood View Post
    Are you two referring exclusively to the OK schools?
    Yes that is why they left, most of the OK schools felt like they were being left behind and ignored. The texas lsc schools started an arms race so to speak in facility and program upgrades. In football in particular the LSC north was the punching bag of the south, even eastern who finished most times in the south with 1 or 2 wins would steam roll the north starting almost every season 4-0. The north teams were not competitive. Saddly alot of folks were of the opinion that the LSC was better off without them, with the exception of UCO. Since then the LSC has struggled to retain teams and maintain the stability needed to grow.

In hindsight i think most schools would be much more accomidating to the OK schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    Yes that is why they left, most of the OK schools felt like they were being left behind and ignored. The texas lsc schools started an arms race so to speak in facility and program upgrades. In football in particular the LSC north was the punching bag of the south, even eastern who finished most times in the south with 1 or 2 wins would steam roll the north starting almost every season 4-0. The north teams were not competitive. Saddly alot of folks were of the opinion that the LSC was better off without them, with the exception of UCO. Since then the LSC has struggled to retain teams and maintain the stability needed to grow.

In hindsight i think most schools would be much more accomidating to the OK schools.
    Does that mean you would call off the dogs in the first quarter? Institute a mercy rule?

Quote Originally Posted by OPSUALUM77&81 View Post
    Does that mean you would call off the dogs in the first quarter? Institute a mercy rule?
    Honestly i dont know what could have been done for football, as far as other sports im sure there are things that could be done like share the conference tournament and championship sites on a rotational basis.

Alls i know is that there didnt seem to be much of an effort to retain the OK schools when they decided to leave. Even UCO who was successfull in football some and in other sports more often didnt feel the need to stay, heck they went to a tougher conference as did Northeastern.

Money must be flowing into Tarleton State these days. I was told by a reliable source that the University has the commitments needed to pay the D1 application fee.

6. Default Re: Tarleton creates task force for potential NCAA D-I invite

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Money must be flowing into Tarleton State these days. I was told by a reliable source that the University has the commitments needed to pay the D1 application fee.

You wouldn't know it from game attendance

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/929481157955158017

7. Default Re: Tarleton creates task force for potential NCAA D-I invite

At their last game Tarleton's attendance was 4200, against a worthy opponent. 66 scholarships. more pay for the coaches and this affects all sports.Good luck.

8. Default Re: Tarleton creates task force for potential NCAA D-I invite

Quote Originally Posted by exbuff72 View Post
    At their last game Tarleton's attendance was 4200, against a worthy opponent. 66 scholarships. more pay for the coaches and this affects all sports.Good luck.
    They may have announced 4200, but click the link to see a picture from the game. There's a few hundred on the home side.

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Sort of like applying for a loan for a million $ house, and you have to call all the relatives to scrounge up money to pay for the appraisal.

Quote Originally Posted by JavsFan View Post
    They may have announced 4200, but click the link to see a picture from the game. There's a few hundred on the home side.
    The other 4000 were on the visitors' side. You don't see them in the video.

A LOT of people left at halftime.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    The other 4000 were on the visitors' side. You don't see them in the video.
    Herby gets it. Glass half full kinda guy.

Based on some of the games that I have witnessed over the years, attendance like age is just a number. LSC schools put more butts in the stands than some FBS MAC, Sun Belt, and CUSA schools as demonstrated here. http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/footba...dance/2016.pdf

Yet, for better or worse, they got featured in video games, get a cut of the cartel money, get full pages dedicated to them in Dave Campbell, get included in the ESPN ticker/app/espn3 platform.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisattsu View Post
    Herby gets it. Glass half full kinda guy.
    TAMU-C set up a tailgate and I believe we were likely 1/2 of the total people tailgating. The makeshift visitor seating was terrible for any kind of view, but we had enough to pack it so tight we had overflow onto the edges of the field; I would not be surprised to hear we were a 1/3 of the total attendance. A buddy of mine watching the stream said that as it got tight in the 4th and our section got loud that you could hear more cheering after a good play for the Lions than for the Texans.

In defense of TSU it looked like it could rain all day, so I imagine that caused plenty to stay home.

Why is it that when a LSC team is looking to potentially move up to 1AA everyone gets upset and points out all the negatives? Jealousy? Worried about fate/survival of LSC?

Same happened when ASU put together a committee to evaluate a move to 1AA.

Quote Originally Posted by ETSU_LION View Post
    TAMU-C set up a tailgate and I believe we were likely 1/2 of the total people tailgating. The makeshift visitor seating was terrible for any kind of view, but we had enough to pack it so tight we had overflow onto the edges of the field; I would not be surprised to hear we were a 1/3 of the total attendance. A buddy of mine watching the stream said that as it got tight in the 4th and our section got loud that you could hear more cheering after a good play for the Lions than for the Texans.

In defense of TSU it looked like it could rain all day, so I imagine that caused plenty to stay home.
    I was looking at enrollment numbers of both schools and it totals over 25,000.

Kinda funny when you think about it. The enrollment numbers combined of ACU and Houston Baptist is less than 8000. Plus, neither of these schools can retain students so there is little if any growth as compared to the two LSC schools.

Probably why small private schools do not compete well in D1 athletics. Simply not enough students to tag with athletic fee.

Best of luck!

Is it because you had to play your first game at a high school stadium? Be honest...
    Whatever happens I hope it works out for the betterment of your students. I know DSU averages better football attendance than TSU with 1/3 of the student population. BUT, there is a lot more than football to consider when going D1. I'm sure the task force will do its job well and give the university an accurate report.
    (Sorry about that first game fiasco. None of the DSU folks were happy about it either.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shugley View Post
    Is it because you had to play your first game at a high school stadium? Be honest...
    Whatever happens I hope it works out for the betterment of your students. I know DSU averages better football attendance than TSU with 1/3 of the student population. BUT, there is a lot more than football to consider when going D1. I'm sure the task force will do its job well and give the university an accurate report.
    (Sorry about that first game fiasco. None of the DSU folks were happy about it either.)
    As pay back we are going to play next years game with you guys at the Stephenville High School stadium. Not kidding.

I have no inside info but if the D1 offer comes, Tarleton will accept. And based upon everything I have read, seen and heard, an offer is coming.

Going to be an interest off-season in Stephenville.

Quote Originally Posted by TexanFan View Post
    As pay back we are going to play next years game with you guys at the Stephenville High School stadium. Not kidding.

I have no inside info but if the D1 offer comes, Tarleton will accept. And based upon everything I have read, seen and heard, an offer is coming.

Going to be an interest off-season in Stephenville.
    If an offer comes from the Southland it will be a huge, huge shock unless Sam Houston bolts to FBS and the SLC is looking for a replacement,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast