Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: IUP @ Butler County

Contribute to D2

Default IUP @ Butler County

Time to move on. It's the biggest game, cause it's the next game.

IUP goes on the road to take on Butler County. What's everybody looking for in this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by IUP24; 10-08-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Default Re: IUP @ Butler County

It's Slimey Pebble week! Let the hate flow!!!!

What are we looking for on our SRU homecoming visit ... spending an afternoon with the most highly decorated alumni base in all of kickball and dodgeball officiating in the known world.

I think SRU has turf now so they don't have to spend all week watering and trying to grow the grass tall to slow down IUP. That happened.

Is there any truth to the rumor that Butler County quarterback Tanner Garry got dinged up last week?

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    Is there any truth to the rumor that Butler County quarterback Tanner Garry got dinged up last week?

I haven't watched the game yet, but I have seen him in at least three so far. He's not as good as Kier in my opinion, but his receivers are better. Garry has really benefited from his big play guys taking plays much further than they should have gone. IUP's defense is solid everywhere, but particularly so in the secondary. I don't see this being a favorable matchup for SRU. SRU has rolled up some impressive numbers through the air, but they haven't played what I would call a decent defense yet. The win over West Chester was one of the worst defensive games I've ever seen between two teams. I thought I was watching the Big 12. IUP held Cal to 10 points, and the TD drive started at the IUP seven yard line.

I'll probably go back and watch SRU a little more this week, but from what I've seen to this point, I think we're looking at a very similar game to what we saw last week between IUP and Cal. Player for player, I think Cal is probably better than SRU, but you can't deny how well the Pride (or whatever they are) play at home. I still like IUP comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    What are we looking for on our SRU homecoming visit ... spending an afternoon with the most highly decorated alumni base in all of kickball and dodgeball officiating in the known world.

I think SRU has turf now so they don't have to spend all week watering and trying to grow the grass tall to slow down IUP. That happened.
    I'm making the trip from Columbus, which is actually shorter than the trip to Indiana. I had planned to go to the Youngstown State / North Dakota State game, but I didn't expect IUP and SRU to be undefeated and playing in the game of the year so far in the PSAC. The last trip I made to SRU didn't turn out well as an overrated IUP team got drubbed 42-16. The time before that was back in 2007 when IUP won on a game-ending field goal 34-31. I'll just say that the drive home is much more pleasant after a win!

Joking aside, SRU is a great D2 game-day experience. I fully expect IUP to travel very well. It's going to be quite an atmosphere. I'd expect 8,000 or more.

I was at the SRU CalU game and Garry took a beating, but I give him a lot of credit, he kept getting up. He was hurting but played through it and tied the game on a long pass with about 42 secs remaining in regulation.

SRU's running game carried them in the second half of the CalU game similar to how IUP was able to control the ball against CalU this past week.

I was also at the SRU - Lock Haven game and SRU let Lock Haven hang around for a long while.

Based on the games I've seen it seems that SRU is a better second half team. I'm not sure if they are deeper than other teams and are just fresher in the second half. I did notice #68 had moved to a guard spot when they were churning out yards in the second half against CalU. It's just so hard to determine anything definitive when you are watching a game live. Just too many moving parts.

This should be a really tough game.

SRU does have turf now. Bring your sunglasses and baseball cap, the visitor side gets direct sun.

9. Default Re: IUP @ Butler County

Butler County U. is going to be difficult. Agree that they have a great game day atmosphere. IUP has the players and the talent to win but would like to see a complete effort in every aspect of the game. If Samir does not play, look for more passing and running by Lenny.

Let's hope for good sportmanship and no personal fouls by IUP. Do not charge the Rock statue!!

Slippery Rock is undefeated but does have 4 wins by a combined 17 points. They've had some luck on their side so far. They could very easily be 2-4 right now instead of 6-0. But, they aren't and are undefeated.

The special teams item just has to improve. This is now the seventh week we're talking about the same items. There was another punt team issue coming on to the field Saturday, a terribly shanked punt, two extra points blocked, minimal return yardage, etc. The snaps were on the ground during both extra point blocks. This facet of the game will catch them at some point this season. On the positive, No. 3 for IUP is getting so, so close to getting a punt block. It's coming.

IUP also again doubled up the opponent in penalty yards. There will be games when you just have to deal with all the ticky-tack calls.

As for the RB position, we saw a big change in the three-man rotation in the second half. It's not easy coming in for spot plays here and there. Once they were in the game and knew they were staying in the game they all three looked different and more aggressive. Between the three of them I don't see them changing a whole lot this weekend. Brown seems to be that player who needs a lot of touches to get going. Obviously not having Samir is a big drop but it won't be catastrophic. And, for all we know he may play. You could see kind of the air coming out of the sail when he got hurt in the first half as the offense went to the tank. They really needed to get to the break and regroup and luckily still had a small lead.

Slippery Rock has been scoring but they will see a different animal this week across the field. The Rock defense has also given up 42, 45, 44 and 28 points against the four better teams it has played.

Make no mistake ... some strange stuff happens up there. It will be packed, loud and the hated villain is in town. Slippery Rock would have to score in the 40s to win this game. But, just like a game of Rock dodgeball, the best team doesn't always win. It will be a fun one.

A little inside the IUP/SRU series dating back to 1997:

* IUP leads the series 12-9

* Average point margin during this span is 12.5 points
    -- a couple blowouts (2016 by IUP, 1999 by SRU) inflated the margin

* Longest winning streak during this stretch: IUP won 6 straight from the 1999 playoff win through 2005

* Rock longest streaks: 3 straight (97-99 regular season) and 3 straight from 2013-2015.

* Lowest scoring: 2009 - SRU 7 IUP 3

* Highest scoring: 2015 - SRU 40 IUP 39

* SRU largest win: 1999 regular season - 52-14
    * IUP largest win: 2016 - 48-19
    -- side note: both games on IUP Homecoming

* Games decided by a TD or less: 11 of the past 21 meetings

* IUP leads the all-time series 50-39-2

12. Default Re: IUP @ Butler County

There seems to be several SRU injuries of concern according to local sources, Best OL (I. Park) did not even dress against the Hurst...We shall see moving forward but WR Johnson also seems to be limited....

Quote Originally Posted by IUP412 View Post
    There seems to be several SRU injuries of concern according to local sources, Best OL (I. Park) did not even dress against the Hurst...We shall see moving forward but WR Johnson also seems to be limited....

I thought I saw somewhere that Garry got hurt or left the game this past Saturday. Something to that nature. I don't know any truth to that. Nobody is 100% at this point in the season though, so it's irrelevant.

Unlike Viet Mon fans last year who hooted and hollered at Lenny Williams being injured, we won't celebrate any injuries to Butler County players.

I have a friend of mine that's an assistant production intern for ESPN. Doesn't work at Bristol or anything, mainly just travels around and does helps with the broadcast on some of those ESPN3 games. Gotta start somewhere I guess.

Anyways, onto my point. Don't know if any of you saw where College Gameday is going this week. Going back to James Madison like they did in 2015 for JMU-Villanova. I have it directly from my friend that they picked that game over, yep, you guessed it. IUP-Slippery Rock.

When I looked at the games that they had to choose from this week I knew they were going to go somewhere unusual. There's only one matchup of ranked FBS teams. And let's face it, going to USC-Utah in the dark again doesn't exactly bring in new viewers. I kind of had an idea they would pick that JMU game because they seemed to really enjoy their trip there two years ago.

That said, IUP-SRU would've been great. ESPN has had a love affair with SRU this year. 6 straight weeks they've been on sportscenter. Even broke down their uniform combination on Saturday.

I like that they've been going to non-FBS schools the last few years, but I wish they would spread that wealth a little more. 3 trips in a row to Fargo, ND. Now Harrisonburg, VA 2 of the last 3. Just say you'll visit the reigning FCS champs every year and call it day.

I Unlike Viet Mon fans last year who hooted and hollered at Lenny Williams being injured, we won't celebrate any injuries to Butler County players.
    Ha ha. The Commies by the Monhe.

I have a friend of mine that's an assistant production intern for ESPN. Doesn't work at Bristol or anything, mainly just travels around and does helps with the broadcast on some of those ESPN3 games. Gotta start somewhere I guess.

Anyways, onto my point. Don't know if any of you saw where College Gameday is going this week. Going back to James Madison like they did in 2015 for JMU-Villanova. I have it directly from my friend that they picked that game over, yep, you guessed it. IUP-Slippery Rock.

When I looked at the games that they had to choose from this week I knew they were going to go somewhere unusual. There's only one matchup of ranked FBS teams. And let's face it, going to USC-Utah in the dark again doesn't exactly bring in new viewers. I kind of had an idea they would pick that JMU game because they seemed to really enjoy their trip there two years ago.

That said, IUP-SRU would've been great. ESPN has had a love affair with SRU this year. 6 straight weeks they've been on sportscenter. Even broke down their uniform combination on Saturday.

I like that they've been going to non-FBS schools the last few years, but I wish they would spread that wealth a little more. 3 trips in a row to Fargo, ND. Now Harrisonburg, VA 2 of the last 3. Just say you'll visit the reigning FCS champs every year and call it day.

Interesting. Slippery Rock will always get some fun attention simply due to the name. I totally get it. I have worked at different places around the country and travel a bit, and every so often DII sports come up. I often ask people if they ever heard of Slippery Rock when talking about the conference IUP plays in, and most have. Some even say, "So that's a real place?"

I guess we'll just have to be happy that we got a "near miss" on this one. That said, what ESPN has been doing for lower level sports has been pretty outstanding. It's amazing the games you can find on ESPN3 and WatchESPN. They do an outstanding job with the broadcasts as well. I watched the entire IUP vs Cal game last night, even though I was at the game. Having the replays along with good play-by-play and commentary is pretty cool. Who knows. We might get to the point where there will be a Game Day for each division.

Gameday at Slimey Pebble? Where would they stage it? Under the one traffic light in town?

I couldn't imagine it at IUP. I guess it would be in the Oak Grove.

It will most likely be in State College for the Nits game with Meatchicken.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    Gameday at Slimey Pebble? Where would they stage it? Under the one traffic light in town?

I couldn't imagine it at IUP. I guess it would be in the Oak Grove.

It will most likely be in State College for the Nits game with Meatchicken.
    I agree the Oak Grove would be a good signature location at IUP, but they probably would have it in the grass beside the stadium with KCAC as the backdrop. I've been to about 7-8 Gamedays and they never setup in a totally shaded area. They like it open.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPTrackMan View Post
    I agree the Oak Grove would be a good signature location at IUP, but they probably would have it in the grass beside the stadium with KCAC as the backdrop. I've been to about 7-8 Gamedays and they never setup in a totally shaded area. They like it open.

They could put the broadcast on the Library patio that overlooks the Oak Grove. It was cool when they did it on Independence Mall for the Temple Norte Dame game two years ago....

20. Default Re: IUP @ Butler County

[QUOTE=IUP24;2104395]I thought I saw somewhere that Garry got hurt or left the game this past Saturday. Something to that nature. I don't know any truth to that. Nobody is 100% at this point in the season though, so it's irrelevant.

Unlike Viet Mon fans last year who hooted and hollered at Lenny Williams being injured, we won't celebrate any injuries to Butler County players.

Please don't lump us all with that (honestly) a handful of people who cheered. As a parent with a player down there...safety and player health is taken seriously by almost all fans.

That being said. On to the game. I fell an IUP victory more lopsided than the CAL game is likely. CAL and SR are close in terms of play level. IUP did have some luck against CAL in many ways. If those mistake bugs don't bite...I predict a "teen to forties" victory.

Honestly after seeing IUP (atleast on TV) last week, they could have easily handled Shepard last year; I think they are legit. Region 1 champs IMO

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast