Thread: Who is the best GAC team ever (to this point)

Contribute to D2

Default Who is the best GAC team ever (to this point)

Was thinking about this the other day, interested to hear other opinions.

Who do you think is the greatest team in GAC history at this point? Obviously the conference hasn’t been around that long, but I still think it’s an intriguing question.

IMO there are really three choices: Harding 2016, Ouachita 2014, and HSU 2013. To me, those are the three best teams since the GAC has been established.

Harding 2016: I think most would agree this is the most successful team in GAC history, but most successful doesn’t necessarily mean “best”; unbeaten regular season champions, led the nation in rushing yards and possibly totally defense I believe, first GAC school to defeat an MIAA team by beating UCM in the first round of the playoffs, got a miraculous win over Sioux Falls in South Dakota to advance to the quarterfinals, went further than any GAC team ever and lost to eventual National Champions.

OBU 2014: featured the highest-ranked HS recruit to ever play in the GAC in Kiehl Frazier from Auburn, undefeated regular season champions, No. 1 seed in the region (still the only GAC team to ever be a No. 1 seed in football), lost a barn-burner in the first round to Minnesota-Duluth.

HSU 2013: featured the best player in GAC history by any measuring device in Harlon Hill finalist Kevin Rodgers (passed for 4807 yard and 40 TDs that season), as well as wideouts Darius Davis (GAC all-time leader in receiving yards) and Robert Jordan (4th all-time in GAC receiving yards). Led the NCAA in scoring (53 ppg) and passing yards per game (428). Undefeated regular season champions, lost in first round to St. Cloud St. Even though the 2015 team went further, I still think the 2013 was the better team.

No disrespect to OBU’s 2014 team, but I think the real discussion here is between Harding’s 2016 squad and the 2013 Reddies. I think it’s pretty clear who I would side with and who divisiontwo would side with, but I’m interested to hear what others think. I go with the Reddies simply because I believe if you took those two teams and played them against each other, the 2013 Reddies would win. Too many weapons on offense and just enough on D to stop a big-time HU rushing attack.

It’s close though. That HU team was stout.

Default Re: Who is the best GAC team ever (to this point)

2016 Harding as much as I hate to say that. Yuck.

I would say Harding, but I would take the 2015 Reddies over the 2013 team, because of the PO win.

Quote Originally Posted by Redready View Post
    I would say Harding, but I would take the 2015 Reddies over the 2013 team, because of the PO win.
    I understand that the 2015 team had the best single season, but when looking at the playoffs from each year, the 2015 Reddies got a much easier draw than the 2013 squad. I think if you line those two teams up against each other, the 2013 team handily beats the 2015 team, which is why I went with them.

Maybe, But I think they would have to play each other. There were still several players on the 2013 team playing in 2015. It was the 1st year without KR, but they had a very good defense in 2015. Better defense than the 2013 team IMO.

Either way Harding had a good team in 2014 and so did the Reddies. Ouachita had a close game with HU and beat HSU pretty bad. Keihl Frazier was a big difference in that year. Kellett, Rodgers and Frazier were all very good QB's and made the quest for the GAC crown very interesting.

In the end the question is: "Who is the best GAC team ever". It's Harding.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by Redready View Post
    Maybe, But I think they would have to play each other. There were still several players on the 2013 team playing in 2015. It was the 1st year without KR, but they had a very good defense in 2015. Better defense than the 2013 team IMO.

Either way Harding had a good team in 2014 and so did the Reddies. Ouachita had a close game with HU and beat HSU pretty bad. Keihl Frazier was a big difference in that year. Kellett, Rodgers and Frazier were all very good QB's and made the quest for the GAC crown very interesting.

In the end the question is: "Who is the best GAC team ever". It's Harding.
    I've already conceded they certainly had the best season of any GAC team ever. But do you think they faced a team as good offensively last year as the 2013 HSU team? HU was stout defensively last year, but they also never saw anything close to Rodgers, Davis and Jordan. Don't forget, when HSU and HU played in 2013, HU had the No. 1 defense in the country going into the game... and got shredded.

It's ok. We can agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by ReddieMade View Post
    I've already conceded they certainly had the best season of any GAC team ever. But do you think they faced a team as good offensively last year as the 2013 HSU team? HU was stout defensively last year, but they also never saw anything close to Rodgers, Davis and Jordan. Don't forget, when HSU and HU played in 2013, HU had the No. 1 defense in the country going into the game... and got shredded.
    Well we definitely did. The game didn't end well for us, though. I also think the UCM team from last year would have an argument against that HSU team offensively.. 470 yards per for UCM last year against significantly better defenses top to bottom than what 2013 HSU faced in the GAC. That offense that HSU had, while very potent, hasn't traveled well outside of GAC play thus far. That measuring stick needs to be used at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by ReddieMade View Post
    I was at the game (2013) and HU beat us in total offense and had more 1st downs (I am not sure they got shredded). Rodgers had a good day for Kevin with 368 yards, but HU did not give up more than the Reddies did. We had one rushing TD and 4 passing TD. We were only 3-3 in the red zone. The other plays resulting in TD's (outside the red zone) were the help of the receivers which included more than Davis and Jordan, who I am friends with. The game had 4 of the top 10 receivers in HSU history books, by the time their careers were over. Credit goes to the coaches and team for the win that day. Hu was 4-4 in the red zone. Let's just say we had some issues stopping them. Robert Jordan had a career ending injury in that game against HU in 2013. I still praise HU students and faculty for their efforts and concern in such a terrible injury to an opposing great player.

In 2015 The Reddies won in total offense against HU and was down to OBU in total yards (example of depends on who). The Reddies had a very good defense in 2015 and in fact one of the best secondary teams the GAC has seen and lead the nation in INT's, by year end (2015). HSU faced a very good Sioux Falls team, that had a 2 x Harlon Hill Candidate named Luke Papilion. He was very good and also played against HU in 2016. Let's just say he did not have a bad day against a very good HU defense in 2016 or a very good HSU defense in 2015.

In regards to the HSU 2013 team who lost St Cloud. It was because of a couple plays. We fumbled a punt on our side of the field that led to a TD, and Let a trick play beat us with a wide open receiver (who should have been covered by our secondary) for a TD. We out gained SCSU 619 yds to 477 yds. Kevin threw for 567 yds but threw 2 untimely int's. SCSU had a very good QB by the name of Phillip Klaphake, again a Harlon Hill candidate. So our defense did see pretty good QB's in both 2013 and 2015.

All in all. They have to play on the field to determine who is the best. So I say the 2016 HU team is the best followed by the HSU 2015 team. They both have playoff wins. No other teams in the GAC can make that claim.,
    Last edited by Redready; 10-05-2017 at 06:48 PM.