Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Conference Thoughts

Default New Conference Thoughts

I think that the continued western expansion of the GLVC should make Indy look elsewhere. I am not a fan of the GLIAC because of the public/private difference. I am also in favor of an all-sports conference.

Here is my ideal conference...

1. Indianapolis
    2. Ashland
    3. Tiffin
    4. Findlay
    5. Ohio Dominican
    6. Hillsdale
    7. Northwood University
    8. ? Kentucky Wesleyan? Lake Erie College?

Pros:

Nice footprint, logical rivalries, easy drives, and a definite step up from the GMAC

Would this league satisfy the angry alums at Ashland?

2. Default Re: New Conference Thoughts

IMO, it will be tough to lure Ashland away from the GLIAC, particularly for the GMAC, just due to the history of the GLIAC. I'm not saying that t will never happen, but I don't think it happens anytime soon. Indy is another tough sell, they can stay in the GLVC and be the eastern most school, or join the GMAC and be the western most school. I just don't see much of a change in their situation. Tiffin is already joining next year I believe. Are you also saying to kick out teams like Malone, Walsh, AB, etc?

3. Default Re: New Conference Thoughts

I think this idea is a new conference and not the GMAC of old

Default Re: New Conference Thoughts

That is never going to happen. The G-MAC is here to stay, thus says the NCAA.

Indy and Ashland are the most likely candidates to join the GMAC. As much bluster as the Ashland fans blow and however much smack Lee Owens wants to blow to recruits about us just being irrelevant old NAIA schools (allegedly from an AU fan), it's trips to the UP and GLIAC only having 5 baseball schools (after Tiffin leaves) will play major roles in the GMAC looking better and better for Ashland. If the GMAC can live up to its high ideals as a top-notch academic and athletic league then it will look better and better to Indy as well. The Erie, PA schools have been mentioned as well.

It would be a big waste of resources to create a new league that is essentially most of the GMAC besides AB and the non-football schools.

6. Default Re: New Conference Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by chargerblue View Post
    Indy and Ashland are the most likely candidates to join the GMAC. As much bluster as the Ashland fans blow and however much smack Lee Owens wants to blow to recruits about us just being irrelevant old NAIA schools (allegedly from an AU fan), it's trips to the UP and GLIAC only having 5 baseball schools (after Tiffin leaves) will play major roles in the GMAC looking better and better for Ashland. If the GMAC can live up to its high ideals as a top-notch academic and athletic league then it will look better and better to Indy as well. The Erie, PA schools have been mentioned as well.

It would be a big waste of resources to create a new league that is essentially most of the GMAC besides AB and the non-football schools.
    The Erie schools? That is interesting. Gannon and Mercyhurst are Private institutions. I don't know if they would ever leave the PSAC though. Plus, would Kentucky Wes. be alright with that? There was chatter about trying to entice, or invite a couple more schools near the Kentucky line to help with their travel and commitment to the GMAC.

The only thing I heard about the Erie schools was Mercyhurst, I believe, being an associate member in one sport. But, I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ESU Warrior View Post
    The only thing I heard about the Erie schools was Mercyhurst, I believe, being an associate member in one sport. But, I could be wrong.
    Mercyhurst and Seton Hill are G-MAC members for men's lacrosse only.

Quote Originally Posted by chargerblue View Post

Wisconsin-Parkside, which will join the GLIAC next season, sponsors baseball, so that gets the league back to six teams presuming Ashland stays.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    Wisconsin-Parkside, which will join the GLIAC next season, sponsors baseball, so that gets the league back to six teams presuming Ashland stays.
    Davenport and Purdue-Northwest have started Year 2 of their transition and will play full GLIAC schedules. Although not postseason eligible they give the conference 8 baseball schools in the 2018 season. As you said, Wisconsin-Parkside will replace Tiffin and the number of baseball schools will not change.

Quote Originally Posted by alumnifan View Post
    That is never going to happen. The G-MAC is here to stay, thus says the NCAA.
    Amen to that G-MAC brother. Go Battlers!

11. Default Re: New Conference Thoughts

A few thoughts on this conference (after the season):

1. The class of the league is ODU...even though their facilities are not that good, their location in Columbus gives them a huge advantage in recruiting the Columbus, Dayton, and Cinci area. The only thing missing at ODU is a stadium upgrade and visiting team accomodations which are awful.

2. Findlay and Hillsdale will battle ODU for the top spot every year...because all 3 have GLIAC history and they all understand what you have to do to recruit and win at a high level.

3. Walsh...struggling to get back to the same winning ways they had in the NAIA...I think they have a coach in place who can get them back...only time will tell. They have to win some recruiting battles in Ohio and bring in some difference makers for that to happen.

4. Lake Erie and Malone....if you are not serious about being competitive in football, drop the programs...if you are serious about being competitive in football then you need to understand the simple phrase..."If you keep doing the same things you've been doing, you'll continue to get the same results you've gotten." Changes need to be made with both of these programs.

5. AB and Kent. Wesleyan...I think both teams learned what it was like to play some consistently well coached and well recruited teams (minus a few).

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherSlap View Post

1. The class of the league is ODU...even though their facilities are not that good, their location in Columbus gives them a huge advantage in recruiting the Columbus, Dayton, and Cinci area. The only thing missing at ODU is a stadium upgrade and visiting team accomodations which are awful.

2. Findlay and Hillsdale will battle ODU for the top spot every year...because all 3 have GLIAC history and they all understand what you have to do to recruit and win at a high level.

3. Walsh...struggling to get back to the same winning ways they had in the NAIA...I think they have a coach in place who can get them back...only time will tell. They have to win some recruiting battles in Ohio and bring in some difference makers for that to happen.

4. Lake Erie and Malone....if you are not serious about being competitive in football, drop the programs...if you are serious about being competitive in football then you need to understand the simple phrase..."If you keep doing the same things you've been doing, you'll continue to get the same results you've gotten." Changes need to be made with both of these programs.

5. AB and Kent. Wesleyan...I think both teams learned what it was like to play some consistently well coached and well recruited teams (minus a few).
    ODU's basketball gym is apparently good enough to host the D2 women's basketball championships in 2019 and 2021. They actually hosted the D2 Women's Elite Eight last season, as I recall.

Justanotherslap makes good points. I'm not sure that ODU is the "class" of the GMAC. Findlay, Hillsdale and ODU will dominate the conference until they other institution's athletic departments figure out how to compete at the D2 level in football. Basketball is another story. Walsh has a pretty good Bball team. So does ODU. Findlay? In basketball Findlay is tough, tough, tough. Hillsdale? Beautiful home arena; great coaching staff; supportive athletic department; and they beat two good teams to start the season. Then there is KWC. No school has won as many national championships in D2, and only one in D1, that being UCLA. I'm not sure about the rest of the GMAC and how they will compete in all sports. Tiffin will enter the conference next season and they are also good in football, decent in basketball, and really competitive in most of their sports. I also believe that in time Lake Erie, Malone, Walsh and KWC will improve their football programs, but currently they are not going to win a lot of games on the gridiron. The main point is that the GMAC is a new conference, growing and learning. Each GMAC member school will have to find a way to be competitive or suffer losses, lots of losses. It's a new world, folks. Can't live on past accomplishments. I'm done rambling. Good luck to all and Happy Turkey Day!

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherSlap View Post

Lake Erie just brought a new AD on board yesterday. While many at the school argue for a move to D3 or dropping football, she deserves time to review the program and put her staff in place.

Quote Originally Posted by LECfan View Post
    Lake Erie just brought a new AD on board yesterday. While many at the school argue for a move to D3 or dropping football, she deserves time to review the program and put her staff in place.
    Wasn't aware LEC was considering changes. Hope they give her plenty of time.

Hope they called the fire department first. Storm was a tire fire at a sauerkraut factory in the finale vs. the Chargers.

17. Default Re: New Conference Thoughts

It's pretty much a done deal...Ashland is coming to the GMAC. It doesn't matter that the majority of the athletic department wants to stay in the GLIAC. The administration has the power and they want out. The long road trips are the main reason.

Most AU fans are hoping Indy follows us. The GMAC is going to be dogged by the GLIAC and others, but if AU and Indy come on board it's a different story. You would have 2 football playoff teams coming in, plus Findlay made it this year and ODU has a solid program. AU and Indy would also help the depth in men's basketball. AU fans for the most part think if they come in along with Indy, it may be a matter of time before the bottom of the league falls out...which would be a good thing. KWC while great in basketball is a freaking embarrassment in football. When AU played there last year the attendance was 80. The other schools that don't want to put money into being competitive in the major sports are probably better off going elsewhere. If the GMAC is going to rise in credibility, we can't be top heavy and have football teams like
    KWC, A-B, Lake Erie, Malone dragging the conference down. I think the conference has some real potential, but there are some schools who lack the capital, facilities, etc to be competitive, and they may be better off going to a different league.

KWC does not lack in facilities. The facilities are way above average in D2. The mindset in our administration and among some of the BOT members are our problem this academic season. I detest the thought of going D3. However, it seems those in charge feel the only way to stay on as an elite academic institution is to go D3. The cost and travel for KWC to stay D2 is prohibitve for such a college as it stands now. Promises have been broken and alums have been financially stingy. It really pi#@$% me off.

The Owensboro Sportscenter is being completely remodeled with all new seating coming next year. It seats 5,000. An all new state of the art Track and Field complex has just been built. All of the fields have new lighting systems for night games. The WHRC athletic and training facility looks brand new. Our athletic offices, training rooms and on campus basketball practice court and volleyball gym is located there. The football stadium seats 3,000 and still looks like it did when it was built, only now the stadium has a new scoreboard installed this season and the football locker room was partially remodeled recently. The college also spent close to $5 million to renovate Kendall Hall which traditionally houses a lot of the athletes.

It boggles my mind how the college has just slipped into D2 obscurity. Even if KWC goes D3 there is no guarantee that they will win. The college was named the best institution in Kentucky to attain a BA diploma. Money has been absolutely sucked out of the athletic department to support academics. The focus has never been on recruiting more students despite the rhetoric from the administration. I cannot tell you how frustrated this change in our athletic department this year has been for me. There is room on campus for a new dorm and an academic center for more classrooms. I guess it's better to just mow the grass. The college could build and still have a green quad. IMO, the athletic facilities have been upgraded specifically to recruit D3 students and they are already in place. Oh, the baseball and softball teams have an indoor hitting facility as well.
    Last edited by alumnifan; 11-18-2017 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eagler927 View Post
    If the GMAC is going to rise in credibility, we can't be top heavy and have football teams like KWC, A-B, Lake Erie, Malone dragging the conference down. I think the conference has some real potential, but there are some schools who lack the capital, facilities, etc to be competitive, and they may be better off going to a different league.
    You’re just a ball of sunshine, aren’t you? I would say welcome to the conference, but I’m not feeling it right now. Have a nice day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast