Thread: UIndy New Conference

Default UIndy New Conference

I think that the continued western expansion of the GLVC should make Indy look elsewhere. I am not a fan of the GLIAC because of the public/private difference. I am also in favor of an all-sports conference.

Here is my ideal conference...

1. Indianapolis
    2. Ashland
    3. Tiffin
    4. Findlay
    5. Ohio Dominican
    6. Hillsdale
    7. Northwood University
    8. ? Kentucky Wesleyan? Lake Erie College?

Pros:

Nice footprint, logical rivalries, easy drives, and a definite step up from the GMAC

Would this league satisfy the angry alums at Ashland?

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dappling View Post
    I think that the continued western expansion of the GLVC should make Indy look elsewhere. I am not a fan of the GLIAC because of the public/private difference. I am also in favor of an all-sports conference.

1. Indianapolis
    2. Ashland
    3. Tiffin
    4. Findlay
    5. Ohio Dominican
    6. Hillsdale
    7. Northwood University

Pros:

Nice footprint, logical rivalries, easy drives, and a definite step up from the GMAC

Meh. It isn't happening. Ashland probably isn't leaving the GLIAC, and the GMAC isn't going anywhere.

Having said that, I emailed UIndy AD Sue Wiley several months ago (before the UWP move happened) and got a reply to the effect that they were doing a regularly scheduled look at their affiliations. So any process on our part would be comparatively easy, as there's up to date information to go on.

Now, I know you said you don't like mixed public-private conferences, but I think the issue is resources available, not ownership. Ashland and UIndy have shown for decades that they're able to put up the resources to compete with state schools across the board. Much of the GMAC has not. There are plenty of mixed conferences at all levels, and they have all levels of success and stability.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

3. Default Re: UIndy New Conference

Quote Originally Posted by Dappling View Post

1. Indianapolis
    2. Ashland
    3. Tiffin
    4. Findlay
    5. Ohio Dominican
    6. Hillsdale
    7. Northwood University

Pros:

I like the topic but I'm wondering where the angry alums at Ashland line comes from? I mean...I occasionally get angry...so do other AU posters...but with the exception of one poster, (I think anyone who is on the GLIAC board knows who I'm talking about) we are pretty reasonable people.

As noted by Wabbott9, the ideal conference you list is fine but it will never happen. Maybe the GMAC gets a school to slide back to the GLIAC. (Findlay, ODU, Tiffin) Even that isn't likely. Findlay and Tiffin have shown as overall athletic programs they can hang in the GLIAC and do well nationally in certain sports, but it seems saving money on travel and playing against other private schools trumps playing in possibly the best conference in D2.

As far as Indy is concerned, why worry about the mix of public and private schools if you've shown you can compete? If I'm Indy I look at the two most important sports, football and men's basketball. Football wise it's a huge move to go to the GLIAC. Much tougher competition. But you beat GVSU this year, and have beaten Ashland and other top GLIAC teams in the past. It could be a good thing recruiting wise to play in a top 2 conference in D2. As far as men's basketball, it's the opposite. The GLIAC hasn't been very good on the men's side. I don't know what they have coming back, but Indy could hypothetically be the best team in the GLIAC this year. I'm sure they would be top 3. I personally think coming to the GLIAC would be a good move for the Greyhounds.

Default Re: UIndy New Conference

IMHO, I really think both parties would benefit from UIndy jumping on over to the GLIAC.

GLIAC -- Adding a school that competes well in just about every sport they offer would add to the GLIAC's image as one of (if not the best) Division 2 athletic conference in the nation. Getting a football school back would put them at 10 football schools and keep the 9 game conference round robin and the 2 OOC games. I feel that is a pretty solid setup to be in. The OOC games are really good just because schools can really help their SOS by scheduling games (possibly out of region games) to help bolster their SOS. Basketball wise, I think UIndy may be the alpha of the GLIAC if they join, along with Ferris. Adding a program like UIndy could be beneficial all around for the conference.

UIndy -- For the school's point of view, they've been competing against GLIAC schools for years (I mean, they were a member for a while for football and regularly play schools from the GLIAC in basketball). Coming in to the GLIAC football wise, they would be playing against some of the best teams in the country (e.g. Grand Valley, Ferris State, Ashland) on an annual basis. No doubt, after beating GV this year, they show that they could come in and compete for a title in this league. Basketball wise, like I said in the other section, they might be one of the best, if not the best team in the league year in and year out. Yes, the travel may be an issue going to the UP, but overall, I think UIndy's athletic program is more than capable of handling the situation at hand concerning travel.

Sure hope the GLIAC make a hard push to see if they can entice UIndy to come on over. It sure might help make Ashland's decision on whether to jump ship to the GMAC (which I personally don't think will happen because of the success they've had in the GLIAC).

I've got zero inside knowledge....but I still think UIndy eventually heads to the GMAC. The two biggest issues being (1). Travel and (2). Being in a conference with like minded institutions.....i.e. private vs public.

I don't believe UIndy is afraid to compete with anyone.....in any sport. But travel costs, missed class time, etc. etc. for the multitude of sports offered seems to be the most compelling reason for a move. Just an opinion. We shall see.

6. Default Re: UIndy New Conference

Quote Originally Posted by HoundDog View Post
    I've got zero inside knowledge....but I still think UIndy eventually heads to the GMAC. The two biggest issues being (1). Travel and (2). Being in a conference with like minded institutions.....i.e. private vs public.

I don't believe UIndy is afraid to compete with anyone.....in any sport. But travel costs, missed class time, etc. etc. for the multitude of sports offered seems to be the most compelling reason for a move. Just an opinion. We shall see.
    Who knows. I think the GMAC is a bad move for Indy based on the quality of their athletic program. Findlay and Tiffin finished in the top 40 athletically last year out of the GMAC schools. There's a pretty big drop off after that. Besides Findlay, Indy would dominate in men's basketball. Indy would also have the best football program with only ODU being anywhere close to them.

So it's travel vs competition. I can't see the Indy coaches across the board being real excited competing against GMAC schools unless it's against for example Tiffin's track program.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bankslaker View Post
    IMHO, I really think both parties would benefit from UIndy jumping on over to the GLIAC.

GLIAC -- Adding a school that competes well in just about every sport they offer would add to the GLIAC's image as one of (if not the best) Division 2 athletic conference in the nation. Getting a football school back would put them at 10 football schools and keep the 9 game conference round robin and the 2 OOC games. I feel that is a pretty solid setup to be in. The OOC games are really good just because schools can really help their SOS by scheduling games (possibly out of region games) to help bolster their SOS. Basketball wise, I think UIndy may be the alpha of the GLIAC if they join, along with Ferris. Adding a program like UIndy could be beneficial all around for the conference.

UIndy -- For the school's point of view, they've been competing against GLIAC schools for years (I mean, they were a member for a while for football and regularly play schools from the GLIAC in basketball). Coming in to the GLIAC football wise, they would be playing against some of the best teams in the country (e.g. Grand Valley, Ferris State, Ashland) on an annual basis. No doubt, after beating GV this year, they show that they could come in and compete for a title in this league. Basketball wise, like I said in the other section, they might be one of the best, if not the best team in the league year in and year out. Yes, the travel may be an issue going to the UP, but overall, I think UIndy's athletic program is more than capable of handling the situation at hand concerning travel.

Sure hope the GLIAC make a hard push to see if they can entice UIndy to come on over. It sure might help make Ashland's decision on whether to jump ship to the GMAC (which I personally don't think will happen because of the success they've had in the GLIAC).
    I completely agree.

UIndy class of '98

Quote Originally Posted by eagler927 View Post
    Who knows. I think the GMAC is a bad move for Indy based on the quality of their athletic program. (A) Findlay and Tiffin finished in the top 40 athletically last year out of the GMAC schools. There's a pretty big drop off after that. (B) Besides Findlay, Indy would dominate in men's basketball. Indy would also have the (C) best football program with only ODU being anywhere close to them.

So it's travel vs competition. I can't see the Indy coaches across the board being real excited competing against GMAC schools unless it's against for example Tiffin's track program.
    A) The Directors Cup numbers are just that, a numbers game. A lot of the GMAC schools don't show up because they don't sponsor the multitude of sport that gets big numbers. It doesn't mean they don't have quality programs. 4 of the top 8 GLIAC baseball programs last year now reside in the GMAC. Hillsdale set a GLIAC record for home runs. A majority of the top statistical QBs and WRs from 2016 GLIAC football now play in the GMAC. Hillsdale had the GLIAC men's golf champion last year and some of the top cross-country runners in the nation. Plenty of national level programs and performers in the GMAC.

B) Quite possibly the top single program in the GMAC is Kentucky Wesleyan's men's basketball program. The Panthers went 28-3 (won 26 straight) last year (4-0 vs. GLIAC) and were ranked #5 at the end of the season losing to Quincy by 3 in the Regional tournament. They have a 48 game home winning streak.

C) Why so disparaging on Hillsdale and Findlay? Not to knock ODU (way better than their record considering who they've played) but there is a lot of talent at UF and HC. Trey Brock's 302 yards receiving in 7 point loss last week (against UIndy no less) is tops in all of D2 this season. Indy would be in the mix as a top football school no doubt, but it's a lot closer than "the best football program with only ODU being anywhere close to them".

Also, Indy and Hillsdale have a very tight relationship as institutions and especially as football programs. They've played 30 times, splitting the meetings 15-15. Every game seems to be a thriller. This past week's was one of the best of those 30. Tied 38-38, Hillsdale was in the redzone late in the 4th before Indy got a pick 6 for the lead and another Int on HC's last possession.

We'll see how the GMAC all comes together, but if the programs can work together to establish its level of quality then it is going to be more and more attractive to Indy. It's not going anywhere and so to the original poster's idea of something new, I don't see that happening.
    Last edited by chargerblue; 09-28-2017 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eagler927 View Post
    Who knows. I think the GMAC is a bad move for Indy based on the quality of their athletic program. Findlay and Tiffin finished in the top 40 athletically last year out of the GMAC schools. There's a pretty big drop off after that. Besides Findlay, Indy would dominate in men's basketball. Indy would also have the best football program with only ODU being anywhere close to them.

GMACs Hillsdale and Ohio Dominican are great football rivalries for U Indy. And GMACs Kentucky Wesleyan and Findlay are great basketball rivalries for U Indy that would spill over into other sports. Those GMACs are all about 3 hours from Indianapolis and road trip worthy. The quality of the rivalry is much better than what they got as far as football in the GLVC. The GLVC has Southern Indiana and Bellarmine for basketball but it's easy to schedule OOC basketball games and keep those two on the U Indy basketball schedule.

10. Default Re: UIndy New Conference

Quote Originally Posted by chargerblue View Post
    A) The Directors Cup numbers are just that, a numbers game. A lot of the GMAC schools don't show up because they don't sponsor the multitude of sport that gets big numbers. It doesn't mean they don't have quality programs. 4 of the top 8 GLIAC baseball programs last year now reside in the GMAC. Hillsdale set a GLIAC record for home runs. A majority of the top statistical QBs and WRs from 2016 GLIAC football now play in the GMAC. Hillsdale had the GLIAC men's golf champion last year and some of the top cross-country runners in the nation. Plenty of national level programs and performers in the GMAC.

B) Quite possibly the top single program in the GMAC is Kentucky Wesleyan's men's basketball program. The Panthers went 28-3 (won 26 straight) last year (4-0 vs. GLIAC) and were ranked #5 at the end of the season losing to Quincy by 3 in the Regional tournament. They have a 48 game home winning streak.

C) Why so disparaging on Hillsdale and Findlay? Not to knock ODU (way better than their record considering who they've played) but there is a lot of talent at UF and HC. Trey Brock's 302 yards receiving in 7 point loss last week (against UIndy no less) is tops in all of D2 this season. Indy would be in the mix as a top football school no doubt, but it's a lot closer than "the best football program with only ODU being anywhere close to them".

Also, Indy and Hillsdale have a very tight relationship as institutions and especially as football programs. They've played 30 times, splitting the meetings 15-15. Every game seems to be a thriller. This past week's was one of the best of those 30. Tied 38-38, Hillsdale was in the redzone late in the 4th before Indy got a pick 6 for the lead and another Int on HC's last possession.

We'll see how the GMAC all comes together, but if the programs can work together to establish its level of quality then it is going to be more and more attractive to Indy. It's not going anywhere and so to the original poster's idea of something new, I don't see that happening.
    As an Ashland fan I'm certainly not saying anything bad about Hillsdale or Findlay. I mentioned in a previous post that Findlay has a good athletic program and is in the top 25-40 yearly in the Learfield Cup. Hillsdale has a solid athletic program, particularly in baseball and track. But I think you can't be an elite athletic program when you don't field as many sports as a lot of your competing schools.

Let's not sugar coat the lack of quality in the GMAC. This is a football board so let's start there. In recent years, ODU is the only playoff caliber program. Findlay has been decent, but they were a 6,7, maybe 8 win team in the GLIAC. Let's be honest the Chargers have dropped off as of late in football. Hillsdale had become an average team in the GLIAC. Now I expect them to be a top 2-3 team in the GMAC. Look at some of the low hanging fruit in the GMAC as far as football:
    -Malone
    -Lake Erie
    -Walsh
    -Alderson Broadus
    -Kentucky Wesleyan

Bottom line...these programs are not good. Walsh hasn't won a game this year. Lake Erie is 1-5. Is this the sort of mediocre conference Indy wants to play in? It's a little better in Men's Basketball, not doubt especially with KWC. Overall the GMAC athletically is way below the GLIAC. Travel wise it makes more sense to be in the GMAC. Competition wise it's the GLIAC.