Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UW Parkside Leaving GLVC for GLIAC

Contribute to D2

Default UW Parkside Leaving GLVC for GLIAC

Default Re: UW Parkside Leaving GLVC for GLIAC

Quote Originally Posted by ABjo View Post
    I think everyone could see this coming...My question is whether the sanctions caused this or did the leaving the GLVC cause the sanctions?

Frankly, the move makes sense for UWP. With the GLVC becoming Missouri oriented, there is just too much distance. I would imagine Lewis and Indy could be next.

I'm surprised it took so long. The GLIAC needed teams, and the GLVC was at an odd number with 15 after St. Joseph's closed (which was another somewhat-close team for UWP).

C'mon, UINDY, head to the G-MAC!!!

Yeah, not too shocking, but best of luck to them -- it was interesting seeing their hoops program get stronger and stronger.

Kind of funny this popped up today as, last night, I had a vivid dream where Bellarmine started a football program and was playing at least that sport in the G-MAC.

Interesting. Lewis was really the only GLVC school in fairly close proximity to Parkside. In the GLIAC, Purdue Northwest is about the same distance. Beyond that, the distances to the "far" (all other) schools in the GLIAC and the GLVC are also similar.

Wondering if there will be other moves or if this is it.

Usually schools put a little tidbit in their release about the conference they are exiting, like "we have enjoyed being a member of the X conference for past X years and are grateful for......"

Nada.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    Interesting. Lewis was really the only GLVC school in fairly close proximity to Parkside. In the GLIAC, Purdue Northwest is about the same distance. Beyond that, the distances to the "far" (all other) schools in the GLIAC and the GLVC are also similar.

Wondering if there will be other moves or if this is it.
    I would think that this has to at least get UINDY thinking about a move. And if UINDY does move, I would think that maybe Ashland would take another look thought I doubt they leave. I do not feel that distance and the cost to travel matter to them at this point. Until that happens I think they stay in the GLIAC for the foreseeable future. Perhaps Lewis looks at moving as well, either league,( GMAC or GLIAC) would be similar in mileage correct? Tha leaves Bellarmine and I think they would jump to D1 before moving to the GMAC, although I think their non rev sports would take a beating. Could be an interesting year.

Quote Originally Posted by UFSwimDad View Post
    I would think that this has to at least get UINDY thinking about a move. And if UINDY does move, I would think that maybe Ashland would take another look thought I doubt they leave. I do not feel that distance and the cost to travel matter to them at this point. Until that happens I think they stay in the GLIAC for the foreseeable future. Perhaps Lewis looks at moving as well, either league,( GMAC or GLIAC) would be similar in mileage correct? Tha leaves Bellarmine and I think they would jump to D1 before moving to the GMAC, although I think their non rev sports would take a beating. Could be an interesting year.
    I have a weird feeling that UIndy would consider a move to the GLIAC solo (no other schools contingent). However, would only contemplate a G-MAC move if Ashland and/or Bellarmine jumped with them. Not that I think a UIndy move is necessarily gong to happen - but if it did, I see more strings attached to a potential G-MAC move.

BTW - on a related subject. I've heard nothing further regarding Benedictine (currently D3) and the GLVC. I had earlier heard that they might be the SJC replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    I have a weird feeling that UIndy would consider a move to the GLIAC solo (no other schools contingent). However, would only contemplate a G-MAC move if Ashland and/or Bellarmine jumped with them. Not that I think a UIndy move is necessarily gong to happen - but if it did, I see more strings attached to a potential G-MAC move.
    I would have to agree with you there. Totally blew that scenario off. That is prob the more realistic movie for them honestly. Would put them back with rival Ashland. Plus I believe their fan base would love to return to the GLIAC. This is prob the most realistic option.

My understanding is that the GLVC will add Benedictine out of Chicago and Southwest Baptist. Benedictine is closer to Lewis than Parkside was, and they play football, so that trade out should be a plus for both Lewis and Indy.

Actually, it's a plus for the whole conference travel wise...Benedictine is a couple hours closer to every other GLVC school than Parkside was.

Quote Originally Posted by DUPanther View Post
    My understanding is that the GLVC will add Benedictine out of Chicago and Southwest Baptist. Benedictine is closer to Lewis than Parkside was, and they play football, so that trade out should be a plus for both Lewis and Indy.

Actually, it's a plus for the whole conference travel wise...Benedictine is a couple hours closer to every other GLVC school than Parkside was.
    Never mind you meant BWB and Benedictine have football

Never mind you meant BWB and Benedictine have football
    SBU already plays in the GLVC for football, but yes, I was talking about Benedictine.

I am sure of one thing and that is that the G-MAC is not sitting on their hands waiting for things to happen.

I would think that this has to at least get UINDY thinking about a move.
    See, I don't see where UWP leaving impacts UIndy's mindset in any way. UWP was right in the middle mileage-wise for UIndy when compared to travel from all GLVC schools, so it's not like they lost a close rival (256 miles + Chicago traffic to navigate to get there). UWP doesn't have football, so UIndy doesn't lose a football school. Parkside doesn't sponsor swimming, tennis, or women's golf, and is a bottom-third team in the GLVC all-sports cup.

Now, if Lewis, Bellarmine, or Southern Indiana decided to go, then OK. But if UIndy is impacted to make a move because UWP left the GLVC with a much more manageable number of 14 for scheduling/travel/etc (15 appears to be absolutely awful to try and do based on the schedules we've seen so far), then I would believe that a move was in the move long before UWP decided to pack up and head out.

Quote Originally Posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
    See, I don't see where UWP leaving impacts UIndy's mindset in any way. UWP was right in the middle mileage-wise for UIndy when compared to travel from all GLVC schools, so it's not like they lost a close rival (256 miles + Chicago traffic to navigate to get there). UWP doesn't have football, so UIndy doesn't lose a football school. Parkside doesn't sponsor swimming, tennis, or women's golf, and is a bottom-third team in the GLVC all-sports cup.

Now, if Lewis, Bellarmine, or Southern Indiana decided to go, then OK. But if UIndy is impacted to make a move because UWP left the GLVC with a much more manageable number of 14 for scheduling/travel/etc (15 appears to be absolutely awful to try and do based on the schedules we've seen so far), then I would believe that a move was in the move long before UWP decided to pack up and head out.
    Doubt it will be at 14 for long. I think you'll see 2 teams come in and then they'll go back to an East/West format. Benedictine would be an East school for sure and SBU would be a West school for sure, so that would push one of the former West schools into the East...likely Quincy or UMSL based purely on geography.

The Parkside move also brings the GLIAC to 12 (because they're losing Tiffin to the G-MAC). I still find it odd that Ashland remained in the GLIAC yet Hillsdale moved to the G-MAC (unless the Chargers were tired of playing NMU and Tech; Parkside will actually be a "short" trip for NMU/Tech). However, this will leave the GLIAC with 9 football schools.

Quote Originally Posted by DUPanther View Post
    Doubt it will be at 14 for long. I think you'll see 2 teams come in and then they'll go back to an East/West format. Benedictine would be an East school for sure and SBU would be a West school for sure, so that would push one of the former West schools into the East...likely Quincy or UMSL based purely on geography.
    Not necessarily saying this move is what does it but with most of the teams west and the GMAC and the GLIAC on their doorstep I would think they listen at the very least.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast