Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CalU Basketball

Contribute to D2

Default CalU Basketball

Well, both men's and women's schedules have appeared, but neither roster yet. Hope the rosters follow soon, with some nice surprises.

Default Re: CalU Basketball

Here is some info on new Cal additions:

Isaiah Lewis (6'3, 185), guard, transfer from Temple. Former 3-Star but pretty much a bust at Temple. One year of eligibility at Cal.

Philip Alexander (6'6", 180), small forward, high school recruit

Karriem Simmons (6'8", 185), small forward, JUCO transfer. Two years eligibility at Cal. Decent player ... very skinny. Has a nice outside shot. He reminds me a bit of former Rock player Cornelius Brown (which is a very good thing for Cal).

Jahmar Howze (6'6", 215 lbs), G/F, prize of the class. Transfer from Urbana. Two years eligibility at Cal. Averaged 16.2 ppg for a bad team in the MEC. Had 20 points against UPJ last year and an OK game against IUP the following night.

Not that my opinion means much, but I do follow PSAC basketball very closely. I'm picking Cal to finish second in the West this year. The Vulcans will cause a lot of problems for teams under the basket. This is a much deeper team in Year 2 of the regime. The biggest difference between the coaches from what can see is the style of players being recruited. Brown loved those big, slow PSAC West prototypes. You can see the roster is now being made in to a more IUP/MEC-style makeup -- athletic, fast players who can shoot.

My projected order of finish:

1. IUP - Joe's loaded top to bottom
    2. Cal - Comments above
    3. SRU - Reynolds scored a big class and has some nice players returning (strange as it sounds)
    4. Seton Hill - Trevor Blondin returning is a giant boost
    5. Mercyhust - Gary won't stay down forever. They will be better this year.
    6. Gannon - The revolving player door continues. Reilly will be (somewhat) competitive regardless who is on the roster.
    7. Edinboro - Wild Card team
    8. UPJ - AJ Leahy is finally gone after what seems like 20 years. They have a good PG (Clancy) and a good SF (Vescovi). How much else is up for debate. Teams 4-8 are likely to be pretty much interchangeable.
    9. Clarion
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 09-15-2017 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Here is some info on new Cal additions:

Isaiah Lewis (6'3, 185), guard, transfer from Temple. Former 3-Star but pretty much a bust at Temple. One year of eligibility at Cal.

Philip Alexander (6'6", 180), small forward, high school recruit

Karriem Simmons (6'8", 185), small forward, JUCO transfer. Two years eligibility at Cal. Decent player ... very skinny. Has a nice outside shot. He reminds me a bit of former Rock player Cornelius Brown (which is a very good thing for Cal).

Jahmar Howze (6'6", 215 lbs), G/F, prize of the class. Transfer from Urbana. Two years eligibility at Cal. Averaged 16.2 ppg for a bad team in the MEC. Had 20 points against UPJ last year and an OK game against IUP the following night.

Not that my opinion means much, but I do follow PSAC basketball very closely. I'm picking Cal to finish second in the West this year. The Vulcans will cause a lot of problems for teams under the basket. This is a much deeper team in Year 2 of the regime. The biggest difference between the coaches from what can see is the style of players being recruited. Brown loved those big, slow PSAC West prototypes. You can see the roster is now being made in to a more IUP/MEC-style makeup -- athletic, fast players who can shoot.

My projected order of finish:

1. IUP - Joe's loaded top to bottom
    2. Cal - Comments above
    3. SRU - Reynolds scored a big class and has some nice players returning (strange as it sounds)
    4. Seton Hill - Trevor Blondin returning is a giant boost
    5. Mercyhust - Gary won't stay down forever. They will be better this year.
    6. Gannon - The revolving player door continues. Reilly will be (somewhat) competitive regardless who is on the roster.
    7. Edinboro - Wild Card team
    8. UPJ - AJ Leahy is finally gone after what seems like 20 years. They have a good PG (Clancy) and a good SF (Vescovi). How much else is up for debate. Teams 4-8 are likely to be pretty much interchangeable.
    Great write up on the predictions....The fact that you follow PSAC basketball so closely, you may want to include Clarion in your west prognostications...(that's not a mean jab, just a friendly one for the board...)
    Assuming they'll be bringing up the rear?

Haha ... poor Clarion. Fixed.

Nine teams in the West ... that's basically like its own conference.

IupbigIndians, Thanks for the great update and your predictions. Don't know how you discovered the Cal additions, but they are a welcome surprise for me! And YES, UPJ's Leahy WAS what seemed like an ever-present dangerous player, as were both Vescovi brothers. But their coach is a good one and seems to reload well with local stars.

Still no Men's Basketball roster yet. I can't figure out what the heck the holdup is.

When a team takes a lot of transfers like McBride did this year ... the process of getting them admitted to school is easy. The NCAA portion is the slow part. Cal is likely waiting to make sure all will be deemed eligible for this season. Being that practice starts real soon it should be almost done. That's why SRU is last to post almost yearly as they get a new team, basically, every season.

The later in the summer you take transfers the longer line they get in with the NCAA clearing.

When a team takes a lot of transfers like McBride did this year ... the process of getting them admitted to school is easy. The NCAA portion is the slow part. Cal is likely waiting to make sure all will be deemed eligible for this season. Being that practice starts real soon it should be almost done. That's why SRU is last to post almost yearly as they get a new team, basically, every season.

The later in the summer you take transfers the longer line they get in with the NCAA clearing.
    Thank you iupbigindians for the explanation. The above I did not know ~ but it certainly clarifies the situation. Again, thanks.

Ok. The CalU men's roster has finally appeared. What happened to Ramon Creighton and Tony Richardson?
    Last edited by Feedoggie; 10-13-2017 at 03:57 PM.

yeah ... that is going to change my prediction a bit.

I'll see what I can find out for you.

RC hasn't tweeted anything since late August which is unusual from someone who is usually out there in that world. Can't find any mention of a transfer or issues. Here's hoping it's a glitch since a 12 man roster in college is a bit thin. Time will tell.

Twelve plus those two ... 14 is too many. I'd say it's not a glitch.

Tony wasn't a fit in McBride's system. Too slow.

But, that's still a major loss. I wouldn't doubt they surface somewhere.

Awfully strange to see a senior leave the team.

Is Ramon still enrolled at Cal? Grades, perhaps?

I'm usually good at digging stuff up ... these two just vanished.

13. Default Re: CalU Basketball

Also, Sapp left to go play at Gannon which leads me to believe there was some sort of house cleaning by the coach. Just a guess though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjtheman View Post
    Also, Sapp left to go play at Gannon which leads me to believe there was some sort of house cleaning by the coach. Just a guess though.
    This is going to be tricky but please try to follow. From last years roster, all of whom seemed eligible to come back (no seniors), 5 players are not on this years roster...Brown, Creighton, Richardson, Sapp and Miller. Other than Sapp to GU, I have no idea why the others aren't there.
    From IUPbigINDIANS list Simmons is not on the roster and 3 others have been added
    Terry Davis Jr, 6'3" Sr transfer from Glenville State
    Donte' Williams, 6'7" 230 Jr transfer from Southeastern JC (Iowa)
    Ryan Dutton, 6'5" 220 Fr Slippery Rock HS
    which brings the roster to 13 or +1 from yesterday. I hope that makes it somewhat clearer.
    Stay tuned for further updates.

Did you guys find anything out about Ramon or Tony?

Did you guys find anything out about Ramon or Tony?
    Not a word but I'll try the direct approach by going to the source @CoachMcBride2

c
    Last edited by CALUPA69; 10-24-2017 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Delete

18. Default Re: CalU Basketball

Found a Ramon creighton on beaver county junior college roster. Not sure if it's the same one there is no picture.

That's him. You found him. He'll put up 35 a game down there. I wonder if he'll go back to Cal or open his recruitment after the season. I'd have to assume he's there due to grades.

That's him. You found him. He'll put up 35 a game down there. I wonder if he'll go back to Cal or open his recruitment after the season. I'd have to assume he's there due to grades.
    I don't know but suspect that part of McBride's deal is to keep the program as clean as possible in line with the administration's point of view about athletics. I believe if it was possible RC would still be on the team. Whether grades or other issues, he must have done something to wear out his welcome and will use his last two years of eligibility(after JC) at another school. Someone will get a nice player if the issues aren't too much to overcome

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast