Thread: Wayne State vs. Indianapolis

Contribute to D2

Default Wayne State vs. Indianapolis

WSU home opener, under the lights, expecting a banner crowd... Warriors will be a hard squad to put down on Saturday. So we'll see if the GVSU win was a fluke. Young, but hungry Warrior line with a seasoned well-qualified backfield will be a handful for the Greyhounds. Any thoughts?

2. Default Re: Wayne State vs. Indianapolis

I have some thoughts...

Watched Wayne vs. Walsh; man Walsh was not very good BUT Wayne certainly played well. Turnover free football w/ big-play potential on offense and bend but don't break philosophy on defense. Walsh was rough so not a good barometer to see what Wayne has this year but as you stated, the playmakers are there for Wayne. It will all come down to the Line play.

I also watched the GV vs. UIndy game, UIndy fully deserved the win. They won in the trenches, plain and simple. They play very similar to how Wayne does. Indy has two solid RBs and a solid game manager at QB. They didn't show much throwing because they didn't have to. Defensively UIndy shut down Marty Carter so expect a similar strategy against Romello Brown. UIndy also defended some very good pass catchers from GV so I know UIndy won't let Wayne State WR's run down the field wide open like Walsh did. I'll say it once more, this game will be decided up front (like many games are). I expect Wayne to have difficulty vs. UIndy's line play but that doesn't mean they can't overcome it. Expect Wayne's young offensive line to do a lot of growing up this weekend one way or another.

Default Re: Wayne State vs. Indianapolis

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraWarrior View Post
    I have some thoughts...

Watched Wayne vs. Walsh; man Walsh was not very good BUT Wayne certainly played well. Turnover free football w/ big-play potential on offense and bend but don't break philosophy on defense. Walsh was rough so not a good barometer to see what Wayne has this year but as you stated, the playmakers are there for Wayne. It will all come down to the Line play.

I also watched the GV vs. UIndy game, UIndy fully deserved the win. They won in the trenches, plain and simple. They play very similar to how Wayne does. Indy has two solid RBs and a solid game manager at QB. They didn't show much throwing because they didn't have to. Defensively UIndy shut down Marty Carter so expect a similar strategy against Romello Brown. UIndy also defended some very good pass catchers from GV so I know UIndy won't let Wayne State WR's run down the field wide open like Walsh did. I'll say it once more, this game will be decided up front (like many games are). I expect Wayne to have difficulty vs. UIndy's line play but that doesn't mean they can't overcome it. Expect Wayne's young offensive line to do a lot of growing up this weekend one way or another.
    Uindy didn't shut Carter down, imo. He was faster than everyone on d and tough to bring down. The oline failed him in ways that Barry Sanders could not have been successful at.

Believe you are right New Era, it will probably come down to line play. An inexperienced O-line, without its All League RG is going to have to do a lot of maturing in one week. Unless Grand Valley is extremely over rated, it is going to be a Herculean task to beat Indianapolis. Zezula, Brown and Nicholas will have to be at the top of their game with a descent showing from the O-line. WSU's defense has the capabilities of turning in a good performance. Our new defensive backfield coach has the secondary looking good. I am worried about this game, but still hopeful.

Coach Winters also mentioned the similarities between WSU and Indy with regards to line play during his "locker room report" this week. With Indy having a stiffer test last week against GVSU, I wonder if this will help or hurt them having to get up for two big games in a row. Either way, big game for both teams.

I have some thoughts...

Looking at the 2 deeps U Indy still playing without 1,000 yards of offense from last year without WR Malik Higgins. Also without OL Kyle Ball who was a starter as a true frosh. Both of these guys out last week for the Grand Valley game though. Back to starting will be safety Aeneas White who missed over half the Grand Valley game. Looking forward to seeing what Romello Brown can do vs some undersized U Indy defenders. Hope to make it to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    Uindy didn't shut Carter down, imo. He was faster than everyone on d and tough to bring down. The oline failed him in ways that Barry Sanders could not have been successful at.
    Well that's one way to look at it. Personally, I can't remember Carter making anyone miss or breaking a one on one tackle. Saying UIndy didn't shut him down is just plain wrong.

Someone asked me this week if UIndy was that good or was GVS that bad. Honestly, the answer is little bit of both. Personally, I'm really looking forward to this game, I think it will be a real test for both squads and fans from both teams will have a much better idea who their teams really are afterwards.

Keys for me...
    Wayne's young O-Line vs. a stout UIndy D-Line - UIndy surprised a lot of people (Including me) with their run Defense vs. GVS. If UIndy can control the run again this week, I like their chances, but that is a big "if". I think Wayne is a more physical team then GVS was last week. They are possibly the most physical team UIndy will play this year. Last week I thought a key was the play of the new ILB's for UIndy, they both were physical and fast, they'll need good play from them both again Saturday. I give the edge to UIndy here, but won't be surprised if I'm wrong.

Can Wayne's Defense force UIndy to throw the ball? - We think UIndy can run the ball, but we don't know how well they can pass it yet, especially with their #1 WR Malik Higgins out. After the game against GLV, I talked to OC and he said they were ready to fling it around, but never needed too. Being ready and being able are 2 completely different things. Wayne has to make them 2-dimensional. I don't believe Wayne will stay in a Cover 3 look all night and dare them to run. I give Wayne slight edge here, UIndy will have to prove they can throw it to be successful Saturday.

Special teams and turnovers - Both are so important in a evenly matched game, just ask Florida State. UIndy has very good to great specials, great kickers. However turnovers have been a recent issue. The Hounds have always prided themselves on being a "+" turnover program, but last year that did a complete 180. Then against GVS they cough it up twice in the first quarter to fall behind 13-0. (should have been 3 times, but got a favorable call). The QB has to be stronger with the ball.

I feel UIndy is probably the slightly better team (I know, big shocker)... But playing on the Road against a solid physical team makes this game a "pick-em" in my book. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Regit View Post
    Well that's one way to look at it. Personally, I can't remember Carter making anyone miss or breaking a one on one tackle. Saying UIndy didn't shut him down is just plain wrong.
    As much as you want to think that is the case, I am very confident the guy who averaged 7.5 yards per carry last year and led the nation in rushing did not get shut down by UIndy's defense. Replay the game when you get a chance. He had two and three defenders shedding blocks in front of him by the time he even received his hand-offs.

UIndy played GV tough but then again they often do - but the plain truth is, GV played bad - they did not play assignment ball on the D side and that cost them on to many plays - UIndy frosh back did a good job finding those open holes that the GV D left for him and that's to his credit - I see some saying UIndy was missing players, so too was GV - both of their starting wide receivers were out but you know what, that's the game - UIndy is solid but lets face it, they didn't all of the sudden become world beaters overnight nor did GV become a GLVC bottom-dweller - UIndy was picked 4th in their conference for a reason and GV first in theirs for a reason - hats off to UIndy for coming out and taking their home opener to GV and getting the win but lets not get hysterical here, GV did play physical ball, barely going through the motions and the D specifically didn't play assignment ball, shame on them - that's GV's fault not UIndy's so no hate here - always liked the UIndy program but they wouldn't win that game at any time other then the their home opener against a lethargic GV squad in 2017 - congrats and good luck - it will be a good battle in Detroit this Saturday

11. Default Re: Wayne State vs. Indianapolis

I have some thoughts...

I always enjoy and appreciate N.E.W's game breakdown. I'm not planning on making my way down to the "D" tomorrow but will be watching on Xfinity and listening to the radio broadcast as I do think this is a pivotal game albeit early in the season. This is a game that will set the tome for the remainder of the season as last week's game was against a week opponent IMO.; r

This game promises to be a great contest physically, but there's another aspect; coaching and play calling. I look forward to see what trick plays or surprises play a role in this game. I still think Wayne, known as a power team, has always had the skilled position players to throw in a few wrinkles to catch teams by surprise. This game may be just the week for Winters to pull a little magic out of his hat.

13. Default Re: Wayne State vs. Indianapolis

As much as you want to think that is the case, I am very confident the guy who averaged 7.5 yards per carry last year and led the nation in rushing did not get shut down by UIndy's defense. Replay the game when you get a chance. He had two and three defenders shedding blocks in front of him by the time he even received his hand-offs.
    Isn't that the definition of shutting down a running back - defeat the blocking and put multiple hats on the ball?

14. Default Re: Wayne State vs. Indianapolis

WSU will win the game...Indy will be in a post GVSU victory slump and the D Town boys will beat em....

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerBlueandWhite View Post
    Isn't that the definition of shutting down a running back - defeat the blocking and put multiple hats on the ball?
    I would say that is spanking the offensive line, not shutting down the running back.

16. Default Re: Wayne State vs. Indianapolis

I would say that is spanking the offensive line, not shutting down the running back.
    Hopefully RBs are gracious enough to give the line their share of the credit for success running the ball when that happens too.

17. Default Re: Wayne State vs. Indianapolis

[QUOTE=coachDano;2083644][B]I always enjoy and appreciate N.E.W's game breakdown. I'm not planning on making my way down to the "D" tomorrow but will be watching on Xfinity and listening to the radio broadcast as I do think this is a pivotal game albeit early in the season. This is a game that will set the tome for the remainder of the season as last week's game was against a week opponent IMO.; r[/B

Have to admit that breakdown was on the money, especially for a N.E.W.... lol. Wayne is a tough team. Great win for UIndy.
    Last edited by Regit; 09-09-2017 at 11:17 PM.

DANG! WSU let one get away... Stopped Indy on 4 downs with under 3 minutes to go, with scored tied 28-28. Then went three and out and punted back to Indy. Indy was stopped till they threw a pass with a few seconds left and got a roughing the passer call that set up the last second field goal. Just can't lose home games like that...

19. Default Re: Wayne State vs. Indianapolis

Quote Originally Posted by MDRussell View Post
    DANG! WSU let one get away... Stopped Indy on 4 downs with under 3 minutes to go, with scored tied 28-28. Then went three and out and punted back to Indy. Indy was stopped till they threw a pass with a few seconds left and got a roughing the passer call that set up the last second field goal. Just can't lose home games like that...
    Great game, not sure I'd say Wayne let one get away. Both D's made stops late, and UIndy got in position to win it. I have a lot of respect for Wayne, very physical and well coached team. Also, their fans were great and their facilities were very nice. Enjoyed the entire trip.

I say it got away because WSU stopped Indy on a crucial 4 down defensive stand, had all the momentum ...and we were at home. To go 3 and out was a real disappointment and Even if they run some click I would have been ok with OT... But to lose like that, UGH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Regit View Post
    Great game, not sure I'd say Wayne let one get away. Both D's made stops late, and UIndy got in position to win it. I have a lot of respect for Wayne, very physical and well coached team. Also, their fans were great and their facilities were very nice. Enjoyed the entire trip.