Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Recruiting

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector
    Contribute to D2

Default Re: 2019 Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    This is for 2020. But Joey James hitting the recruiting trail hard. Traveling all the way to... the next bedroom.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/jaylen-james
    This reminds me of what Jack Elway said about recruiting John. "I even get to sleep with his mother."

Winona adds to their squad for next season:

https://winonastatewarriors.com/news...lier-riak.aspx

4. Default Re: 2019 Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by Augieholic View Post
    Winona adds to their squad for next season:

https://winonastatewarriors.com/news...lier-riak.aspx
    Eisner understood that last year Winona team was not overly athletic. Going juco and transfer route to get more athletic. Makes sense.

Winona underachieved last year...on paper they have a chance to be pretty good next year, in my opinion. Feels like things setting up for a lot of nsic parity again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    Eisner understood that last year Winona team was not overly athletic. Going juco and transfer route to get more athletic. Makes sense.

Winona underachieved last year...on paper they have a chance to be pretty good next year, in my opinion. Feels like things setting up for a lot of nsic parity again next year.
    The hilarity of Winona cannon balling into the transfer game while Margs gets back into the HS recruiting world would have burned this place down in 2010.

Been waiting for something more to happen and have been watching but you hound dogs seem to always beat me to it. So far the entire recruiting class is JUCO's and I expect if there are anymore forthcoming it may follow the same as WSU looks to have batted zero on all targeted high school kids. It seems like these guys are coming from high level programs that may have more talent than NSIC teams; even the good ones. Perhaps harvesting from elite junior college programs is as good as getting low/mid major DI drops which we do not seem to do anymore. We'll see what happens. Hope it works out. The last dip into this pool did not produce any results.

The hilarity of Winona cannon balling into the transfer game while Margs gets back into the HS recruiting world would have burned this place down in 2010.
    Just looked the guy up. Played 10 minutes per game, 3.9 points, 2.6 rebounds, 44% shooting, 31% from behind the line and 52% FT. Doesn't seem too impressive but projected out over a full game numbers are okay I guess. Seems obvious who the late game foul target is going to be though.

The South is going to be down overall, I think the North will be better. Said it last year and will say it again. WSU should be right up top in the south. Outside of Augie no one has more back. I don't see why they cannot finally win. They say this staff is a bunch of winners but the record overall in coaching while at WSU sure doesn't show it.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    Mavs sign three during spring signing period.

https://msumavericks.com/news/2019/4...ng-period.aspx
    curious how Malik does. I was in a minority opinion in Marshall that he will be a very good NSIC player. Most of the other parents didn't agree with me. we will see. He certainly played well against Marshall over and over.

Justin Wieck is never satisfied with his front court, that's his cross to bear.

https://twitter.com/CoachWieckUMD/st...571122688?s=19

11. Default Re: 2019 Recruiting

Justin Wieck is never satisfied with his front court, that's his cross to bear.

https://twitter.com/CoachWieckUMD/st...571122688?s=19
    On paper UMD definitely one of better front courts in league. We will see how they actually come together on the court.

Four new Griffs. I think these were all known.

https://gogriffons.com/news/2019/6/1...r-2019-20.aspx

Looks like Winona State landed another player for this coming season:
    https://www2.hudl.com/video/3/820883...dda62a10dd42c0

14. Default Re: 2019 Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by The Craigler View Post
    Seems like a lot of new faces coming in for Winona...not sure what that says about last year’s redshirts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Craigler View Post
    Kid’s got some range but he also has a slow & low release. But that range will really extend the defense and open the lane when he’s in the game, assuming his game translates to college.

Kid’s got some range but he also has a slow & low release. But that range will really extend the defense and open the lane when he’s in the game, assuming his game translates to college.
    Strikes me right now as the type of kid who would be infuriating to play against when he's on and a joy to play against when he's off. I'd be curious to know what his percentage is from behind the arc. Highlight reels showing 30-foot three-pointers are fun, but if he's missing two out of every three he takes, I'm okay with that if I'm an opposing coach. If he's shooting 50% from 3 with that range, that's a very different story.

Reminds me of Tim Wagner. Take that however you want.

Seems like a lot of new faces coming in for Winona...not sure what that says about last year’s redshirts.
    What it says is they must prove they deserve court time.

19. Default Re: 2019 Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
    What it says is they must prove they deserve court time.
    That is always the case when you have 15 players and 5 positions on the floor.

The question with many redshirts (which many times coaches have a pretty good feel for after one year in program) is whether they are really good enough to contribute meaning minutes or are they more likely permanent practice guys and important really to keep the team gpa up. There certainly is a percentage that are still unknown and could go other either way depending on how hard they work at in college.

Although there is always going to be need for good transfers, my guess is that most coaches would prefer to get the best high school guys and develop them rather than have to bring in 4 or 5 transfers each year. Not that I’m saying Winona is doing that each year.

That is always the case when you have 15 players and 5 positions on the floor.

The question with many redshirts (which many times coaches have a pretty good feel for after one year in program) is whether they are really good enough to contribute meaning minutes or are they more likely permanent practice guys and important really to keep the team gpa up. There certainly is a percentage that are still unknown and could go other either way depending on how hard they work at in college.

Although there is always going to be need for good transfers, my guess is that most coaches would prefer to get the best high school guys and develop them rather than have to bring in 4 or 5 transfers each year. Not that I’m saying Winona is doing that each year.
    To some degree I think they are doing it out of necessity as they are winning no battles for the good high school kids right now. The only one they landed was this kid who came out of the blue from Florida of all places. Have no idea how they got a line on him. When I saw Melbourne I thought they were dipping into Australia again. If they could get another Cory Jeffs I would be on board.

The current regime has recruited some good high school players, of most note Taylor and Whitelow recently. The two guards from Wisconsin in last year's crop looked like they have potential and Martens from Apple Valley played. My impression is he will be a serviceable cog but no star. I also like the looks of Payton who received less court time last than I thought he should but it picked up some toward the end. I will be interested to see if he matures into a significant role this year. Anybody's guess about Plombon, Brandt and Flowers at this juncture.

It looks like they have the makings of a good team if the JC's work out plus enough good players back including Connor Flack if he gets a medical redshirt. I assume that has been decided by now but haven't heard anything.

Eisner/Malvik have not been too successful with the transfer method so far though as the other two JC's didn't pan out. One got hurt and never played so who knows about him. The other one was clearly out of his game at NSIC level. Then there was the Max Miller transfer. Thought they were getting something there based on the hype and awards but he showed himself to be more of a dud than live ammo. It's confusing to me whether he is still on the roster as the website kind of goes both ways. He's got size so he could offer something as a rotational player. I have a feeling he is down the road though. I'm sure someone could enlighten on that.