Thread: AU Choke Job vs IUP

Default AU Choke Job vs IUP

IUP 26-23 over Ashland.

I don't want to hear about moral victories for Ashland. You were up 16-3 and you couldn't get the job done. Don Graham can talk all he wants on the radio about what a great game it was..blah blah blah. F*** that! It was a sh** loss! I'm so pissed this team's offense melted down in the second half, and the kicking game sucked! A blocked extra point and a possible game winning kick blocked on a line drive kick. IUP goes down and makes a 46 yard fg on the last play of the game. I feel bad for Michael Griffin and a number of players on the defense who played a great game against a really good offense. Bottom line special teams and the offense let this team down.There's no excuse for being shut out in the second half when you have as many weapons as AU does.

This in a lot of ways was as close to a must win as a first game can be for the Eagles. To beat a top 10 team on the road would have been huge. Absolutely brutal loss in a game they should have won. I'm preparing for another year without a playoff bid. I can't see how this team recovers when you still have to play GVSU and FSU, etc

Default Re: AU Choke Job vs IUP

Can Shaheen come back? Man we really missed him tonight. Yes we still have a lot of weapons and could have easily won this game but he created so many mismatches for teams. Offense just seemed like they had to work extra hard to get anything going. Defense stepped up tonight and played their butts off. I would not want to be the FG team in the film sessions tomorrow.

Need to fix the mistakes and forget about this one. Shift the focus to ODU next week.

10-1 stills win the GLIAC and gets us into the playoffs. Got to believe!!

3. Default Re: AU Choke Job vs IUP

I think Lee got too conservative in the second half. For example, 4th and 1 at midfield I would have gone for it. You got the feeling if the Eagles could punch one in they would have the game the way the defense was playing. The OLine broke down, pass protection wasn't very good in the second half. We go in thinking kicking would be a strength and then this crap happens

Default Re: AU Choke Job vs IUP

I agree. Our last drive was turning into a thing of beauty. It had to be almost 6 min long. I think we could have ran it on 3 and 4 when we were down on the Indy 12 yrd line and had a good chance of getting that first down. Then we would have a last second FG chance.

I do have to say though we opened up with a pretty darn good IUP squad. Not like we were opening up with mercyhurst or Lake Erie. The chances were there we just had some letdowns on offense and The blocked FG. We will get it fixed!!

5. Default Re: AU Choke Job vs IUP

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredAU View Post
    I agree. Our last drive was turning into a thing of beauty. It had to be almost 6 min long. I think we could have ran it on 3 and 4 when we were down on the Indy 12 yrd line and had a good chance of getting that first down. Then we would have a last second FG chance.

I do have to say though we opened up with a pretty darn good IUP squad. Not like we were opening up with mercyhurst or Lake Erie. The chances were there we just had some letdowns on offense and The blocked FG. We will get it fixed!!
    Agreed, but no excuse to not score at all in the second half. For whatever reason the running game opening up in the second half seemed to kill any rhythm there was in the passing game. OLine opened holes but couldn't pass protect. Short passing game was on fire in the first half. Where was it in the second half?

6. Default Re: AU Choke Job vs IUP

I'm not sure what some of you AU fans expected. Its the same thing year after year. High expectations that can't be met and it starts at the top. When AU finishes 7-4 it will be blamed on a brutal schedule. I'm tired of the excuses. It's time for Owens to prove he deserves all the praise he gets for this program. If not its time to find a new direction.

7. Default Re: AU Choke Job vs IUP

Quote Originally Posted by unc4life View Post
    I'm not sure what some of you AU fans expected. Its the same thing year after year. High expectations that can't be met and it starts at the top. When AU finishes 7-4 it will be blamed on a brutal schedule. I'm tired of the excuses. It's time for Owens to prove he deserves all the praise he gets for this program. If not its time to find a new direction.
    I thought Owens got way too conservative in the second half. Your best offensive player is your quarterback. We ran the ball so often on first and second down it allowed IUP to tee off on Travis and I think that affected him. Using Vaughn more to slow down the pass rush worked, but the passing game suffered. Travis hurt IUP rolling out and with boot legs in the first half. He was on target and hurt IUP with his legs. Owens went away from what was working in the second half.