Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: GVSU at Indianapolis Game Thread

Contribute to D2

Default Re: GVSU at Indianapolis Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGV View Post
    "One play away" because GV had the ball inside the UIndy 15 with a couple throws into the end zone as the game ended...one play away from scoring and winning the game even with how bad they played - pretty simple to see - so hardly living in the past, that was the reality - GV had over 400 yrds of total offense, more than UIndy, so what were you watching? - UIndy didn't dominate anything - well, I guess if you beat GV you think you dominated something - but let me break this to you, you didn't - GV's first possession they went 75 yrds down the field and scored - the fumble was no gift, our D forced the fumble and the O scored - remember? - then GV did nothing fotr 2 qtrs and UIndy took advantage - good on them - UIndy took the lead in the 3rd qtr and GV came back and scored to take the lead back in the 4th qtr - then UIndy came back and scored to take the lead and after an exchange of punts GV came from its own 22 to the UIndy 14 in under a minute with a couple throws to the end zone - so what are you drinking thinking it would have "gotten ugly", what world are you living in? - LOL - and IF we both make it to the playoffs I would love to see UIndy again - peace
    Woulda, coulda and shoulda....whatever. Lakers lost to a team they should have beat. Just like Ferris losing to Lakers last year in RS game. PO game proved Dogs a better team.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    Woulda, coulda and shoulda....whatever. Lakers lost to a team they should have beat. Just like Ferris losing to Lakers last year in RS game. PO game proved Dogs a better team.
    I always like to see "Fan offs".....

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    Picture of the rest of the GLIAC after GV fans start talking:

Quote Originally Posted by JuicedMule View Post
    Not just the rest of the GLIAC. I laugh hysterically anytime teams that upset us are glorified to be something they're not by our fans. None of those teams ever go on to accomplish anything. The sad reality is that GV just isn't what it used to be and is showing no signs of wanting to return to its former glory.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachinLaker View Post
    Not just the rest of the GLIAC. I laugh hysterically anytime teams that upset us are glorified to be something they're not by our fans. None of those teams ever go on to accomplish anything. The sad reality is that GV just isn't what it used to be and is showing no signs of wanting to return to its former glory.
    Lol GV has been in the semifinals and the quarterfinals the last two seasons. Settle down.

While Indy may not be a "great team" they played mistake free football and managed the clock and their game plan masterfully to beat Wayne State... attributes of winning football.

Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    Lol GV has been in the semifinals and the quarterfinals the last two seasons. Settle down.
    The quarterfinal where we were handled by the worst Ferris team in TA's tenure and the semi-final where we lost to a former WVIAC team while running the same three plays from beginning to end? Don't forget that we were also pretty well dominated by Ferris and Ashland in the regular season that year. The Ferris playoff win was impressive and probably the best coaching job I've seen out of MM, but that Shepherd loss was downright embarrassing - regardless of what their record was. Shepherd went on to be a nothing burger in the NC game.

Fast forward to 2017: Lethargic football leading to a second straight loss to Indy under MM. No run blocking to speak off. Same passing scheme. Defense still gets gashed by the run. Zero adjustments on D. Took a half to actually blow out a team made up of NAIA guys playing only their second year of college ball.

Saying GV isn't the program it once was is 100% an accurate statement. NW managed to maintain its dominance despite coaching changes. GV, on the other hand, has become a sporadic contender that falls flat when they have the opportunity to prove themselves.

8. Default Re: GVSU at Indianapolis Game Thread

According to Wayne St Head Coach Winters "U Indy's a really good football team" and "number 12 that didn't play against Grand Valley, we knew he was pretty special". Know teams regularly play down starters. Just quoting Winters cuz he easily knows more than any of us not coaching in the GLIAC! Smart guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachinLaker View Post
    The quarterfinal where we were handled by the worst Ferris team in TA's tenure and the semi-final where we lost to a former WVIAC team while running the same three plays from beginning to end? Don't forget that we were also pretty well dominated by Ferris and Ashland in the regular season that year. The Ferris playoff win was impressive and probably the best coaching job I've seen out of MM, but that Shepherd loss was downright embarrassing - regardless of what their record was. Shepherd went on to be a nothing burger in the NC game.

Fast forward to 2017: Lethargic football leading to a second straight loss to Indy under MM. No run blocking to speak off. Same passing scheme. Defense still gets gashed by the run. Zero adjustments on D. Took a half to actually blow out a team made up of NAIA guys playing only their second year of college ball.

Saying GV isn't the program it once was is 100% an accurate statement. NW managed to maintain its dominance despite coaching changes. GV, on the other hand, has become a sporadic contender that falls flat when they have the opportunity to prove themselves.
    Obviously. When you win 40 games in a row, the odds of staying at that level are very slim. NW will come back to the pack, too. It might not be this year, or next year, or in five years, but they will at some point. GV lost a revolutionary mind at the head coaching position in the mid-00's, have lost numerous high-quality FBS and NFL coaches, have tried to replace some of the best players NCAA Division II has ever seen in its history, have lost one of the best athletic directors in NCAA history, and are still competitive on a yearly basis despite all that. I would consider that pretty solid, regardless of your weekly opinion of the program. I don't believe GV has regressed. I think they plateaued and the rest of the GLIAC got their act together. In the early/mid-00's, the GLIAC was garbage outside of SVSU. The coaches in the GLIAC were garbage at that time outside of GV's and a handful of others. That isn't the case anymore. Do you know where that *is* the case right now? The MIAA. There is no team worth anything on the national stage in the MIAA outside of NWMS, just like GV and the GLIAC use to be. That isn't a knock on the MIAA, that's just where the cycle is right now. Everything will come back around and you just hope to be the team ahead of the curve when it starts coming back. GV hasn't regressed. The GLIAC stepped its game up to try and get more even with GV. Now? Ferris is ahead of everyone in the GLIAC. The other schools will adapt and catch Ferris, and then a new king will reign for a while and you hope they are getting enough good competition during the regular season to be king on the national level, too.

Obviously. When you win 40 games in a row, the odds of staying at that level are very slim. NW will come back to the pack, too. It might not be this year, or next year, or in five years, but they will at some point. GV lost a revolutionary mind at the head coaching position in the mid-00's, have lost numerous high-quality FBS and NFL coaches, have tried to replace some of the best players NCAA Division II has ever seen in its history, have lost one of the best athletic directors in NCAA history, and are still competitive on a yearly basis despite all that. I would consider that pretty solid, regardless of your weekly opinion of the program. I don't believe GV has regressed. I think they plateaued and the rest of the GLIAC got their act together. In the early/mid-00's, the GLIAC was garbage outside of SVSU. The coaches in the GLIAC were garbage at that time outside of GV's and a handful of others. That isn't the case anymore. Do you know where that *is* the case right now? The MIAA. There is no team worth anything on the national stage in the MIAA outside of NWMS, just like GV and the GLIAC use to be. That isn't a knock on the MIAA, that's just where the cycle is right now. Everything will come back around and you just hope to be the team ahead of the curve when it starts coming back. GV hasn't regressed. The GLIAC stepped its game up to try and get more even with GV. Now? Ferris is ahead of everyone in the GLIAC. The other schools will adapt and catch Ferris, and then a new king will reign for a while and you hope they are getting enough good competition during the regular season to be king on the national level, too.
    MIAA teams would make more noise on the national level if NW wasn't a big gorilla to get through. Emporia last year blazed through everyone not named NW in the playoffs. I hate the Bearcats but, while they may not go on 40 run steaks all the time they aren't likely to drop much Nationally as long as they keep throwing money and talent at the program. They would have to defund how much they pay coaches, and their budget I think for them to drop nationally. They've built themselves into a machine that isn't fair at the D2 level. The current set up at the D2 level allows that, kudos to them. D2 football is not an even playing field, NW is just doing what they need, to take advantage of that. Think about this, NW spends more on football than anyone else. That includes private schools who scholarships cost a boatload more. Add in they keep their coaching talent and train them in the system. As much as I hate it, how do you combat that? Throw more money at it? It's an uphill battle the whole way.

As for the GLIAC no team but Ferris is worth the National stage at this time either. The National stage is such a small slice of teams that you are only likely to have 1 or 2 a region truly worthy of it. Even in the top 25 you know the teams that have a real chance of winning the National Championship is a handful at best.

11. Default Re: GVSU at Indianapolis Game Thread

MIAA teams would make more noise on the national level if NW wasn't a big gorilla to get through. Emporia last year blazed through everyone not named NW in the playoffs. I hate the Bearcats but, while they may not go on 40 run steaks all the time they aren't likely to drop much Nationally as long as they keep throwing money and talent at the program. They would have to defund how much they pay coaches, and their budget I think for them to drop nationally. They've built themselves into a machine that isn't fair at the D2 level. The current set up at the D2 level allows that, kudos to them. D2 football is not an even playing field, NW is just doing what they need, to take advantage of that. Think about this, NW spends more on football than anyone else. That includes private schools who scholarships cost a boatload more. Add in they keep their coaching talent and train them in the system. As much as I hate it, how do you combat that? Throw more money at it? It's an uphill battle the whole way.

As for the GLIAC no team but Ferris is worth the National stage at this time either. The National stage is such a small slice of teams that you are only likely to have 1 or 2 a region truly worthy of it. Even in the top 25 you know the teams that have a real chance of winning the National Championship is a handful at best.
    lolz... one loss with their two top receivers out and eventually 17 starters coming back off a 12-1 quarterfinal team... and suddenly GV is not worth the national stage.

And why isn't it fair exactly for MIAA? Is there something preventing the other schools from investing in a winning football program? In Gliac Ferris was down and out for years, until the AD got smart and went after a coach proven to build winning programs. Keeping coaches in the system isn't necessarily better... just ask GV. They passed on 2 Championship winning head coaches... to keep the AD's son-in-law who never held a head coach job before.

Quote Originally Posted by RatherwatchD2 View Post
    lolz... one loss with their two top receivers out and eventually 17 starters coming back off a 12-1 quarterfinal team... and suddenly GV is not worth the national stage.

And why isn't it fair exactly for MIAA? Is there something preventing the other schools from investing in a winning football program? In Gliac Ferris was down and out for years, until the AD got smart and went after a coach proven to build winning programs. Keeping coaches in the system isn't necessarily better... just ask GV. They passed on 2 Championship winning head coaches... to keep the AD's son-in-law who never held a head coach job before.
    Yep...we passed on one "championship" coach who will end up leaving his current school in a mess...count on it. Presume you're also referring to Awrey as the other one we passed on...uh, sure. If those are your "championship" coaches, I'm sure as hell glad GV had the good sense to pass on them.

As for the son-in-law thing, there's no point in arguing that. If you were close enough to the program to know anything truthful, you'd know that he was the OBVIOUS choice at that point. You're also ignoring the fact that both BK and CM had "never held a head coach job before" either. Find another argument.

Not saying we don't have room to grow and that we don't dominate like we used to. No argument. BUT, the GLIAC is wildly different now than it was for BK and CM. Teams got tired of getting clobbered all the time by GV and did something about it. On top of that, GV has really tightened their admission standards...can't get the same kids in these days that BK and CM got.

I'm not thrilled about it and I'm not an apologist. I just think that, as a fan base, we're a bit spoiled and some people let it get the better of them...and there is a lot of venom out here that doesn't really get us anywhere. Do I like that we laid an egg against Indy? Nope. Do I like that our O seems to have regressed despite having nearly everybody back? Hell, no. Is the season long and can we be different next week and next month? Yep. I'm hoping it happens, but I'm not going to get all bent out of shape because we don't roll everyone 71-9 every week (which we never actually did anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Irishlaker View Post
    Yep...we passed on one "championship" coach who will end up leaving his current school in a mess...count on it. Presume you're also referring to Awrey as the other one we passed on...uh, sure. If those are your "championship" coaches, I'm sure as hell glad GV had the good sense to pass on them.

As for the son-in-law thing, there's no point in arguing that. If you were close enough to the program to know anything truthful, you'd know that he was the OBVIOUS choice at that point. You're also ignoring the fact that both BK and CM had "never held a head coach job before" either. Find another argument.

Not saying we don't have room to grow and that we don't dominate like we used to. No argument. BUT, the GLIAC is wildly different now than it was for BK and CM. Teams got tired of getting clobbered all the time by GV and did something about it. On top of that, GV has really tightened their admission standards...can't get the same kids in these days that BK and CM got.

I'm not thrilled about it and I'm not an apologist. I just think that, as a fan base, we're a bit spoiled and some people let it get the better of them...and there is a lot of venom out here that doesn't really get us anywhere. Do I like that we laid an egg against Indy? Nope. Do I like that our O seems to have regressed despite having nearly everybody back? Hell, no. Is the season long and can we be different next week and next month? Yep. I'm hoping it happens, but I'm not going to get all bent out of shape because we don't roll everyone 71-9 every week (which we never actually did anyway).
    I assumed he was talking about Leipold. A guy who would have left after 1 or 2 years for his FBS head coaching job anyway.

I assumed he was talking about Leipold. A guy who would have left after 1 or 2 years for his FBS head coaching job anyway.
    Ah. You're probably right...maybe he did mean Leipold.

I would also say you're correct in that LL would have left eventually. Would we have gotten another title or two out of it while he was here? I suppose it's possible, but it's certainly hard to make any sort of guarantee.

GV administration has no problem with the football team and what they are doing - just as coaches have changed so has the administration and it all starts from the top...the very top...and they are fine with football the way it is - competitive for sure, but don't have to win it all - that's a difference to consider - prior admin allowed some leeway to get players in, not any more - and forget Ferris, as long as they have good coaches they will be competitive, remember they admit anyone who applies, that is their charter - so long as the student can stay eligible they are in - so that is something many schools will never be able to get past - regardless, GV will get better as the year goes on and IF they can make it to the PO's they will perform - they just need UIndy to keep winning and IF they lose another game it has to be to a team that goes undefeated because it will be tough for a 9-2 team to make the playoffs this year - 11-0 NWMS - 10-1 ESU - UIndy 11-0(10-1) - SWB 11-0(10-1) - SAU and then 2 of these 3 GV/FSU/AU

16. Default Re: GVSU at Indianapolis Game Thread

"One play away" because GV had the ball inside the UIndy 15 with a couple throws into the end zone as the game ended...one play away from scoring and winning the game even with how bad they played - pretty simple to see - so hardly living in the past, that was the reality - GV had over 400 yrds of total offense, more than UIndy, so what were you watching? - UIndy didn't dominate anything - well, I guess if you beat GV you think you dominated something - but let me break this to you, you didn't - GV's first possession they went 75 yrds down the field and scored - the fumble was no gift, our D forced the fumble and the O scored - remember? - then GV did nothing fotr 2 qtrs and UIndy took advantage - good on them - UIndy took the lead in the 3rd qtr and GV came back and scored to take the lead back in the 4th qtr - then UIndy came back and scored to take the lead and after an exchange of punts GV came from its own 22 to the UIndy 14 in under a minute with a couple throws to the end zone - so what are you drinking thinking it would have "gotten ugly", what world are you living in? - LOL - and IF we both make it to the playoffs I would love to see UIndy again - peace
    For someone who lives on a D2 football forum you know Nothing about football. Peace
    Last edited by Regit; 09-19-2017 at 10:57 AM.

I make a move to end this thread...do I have a motion to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by Regit View Post
    For someone who lives on a D2 football forum you know Nothing about football. Peace
    a ya, right - I know nothing about football, ok studly - lol - when UIndy guys throw out this crap you know they are a sorry lot - so Saggydad, I so move...

a ya, right - I know nothing about football, ok studly - lol - when UIndy guys throw out this crap you know they are a sorry lot - so Saggydad, I so move...
    Thank you BillyGV....so moved

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678