Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: o.t./ WT womens basketball

Default o.t./ WT womens basketball

WT women's basketball added a D-1 transfer, a 6'5 girl from New Mexico St. I could not find much about her. She is from Temple, Tx.

Default Re: o.t./ WT womens basketball

From NMSU website:

"2015-16: Saw limited action off the bench her redshirt freshman season…scored four points at North Dakota State (11/13) in her first collegiate game…put up a season high 15 points against Eastern New Mexico (12/14)…pulled down a season-high 15 rebounds against Western New Mexico (1/4) to go with her seven points and one block…recorded 10 points at Seattle U (2/20) on 5-of-7 shooting with five boards...saw action in the NCAA Tournament game against No. 11 Arizona State…finished the season averaging 2.7 points and 2.0 rebounds with five blocks in 21 games.

2014-15: Redshirted.

High School: Graduated from Temple High School in 2014 and was a three-star recruit according to ESPN…she also had a scouting grade of 90 by the Worldwide Leader in Sports and was ranked No. 16 in her position…led the Wildcats to the state playoffs three out of the four years…guided THS to a 24-8 overall mark as a junior and a third-place finish in district play at 10-3…as a freshman she helped guide Temple High School to a 23-12 mark and 8-5 record in district play."

I visited with some WT's insiders recently. When the conversation turned to Tyesha, I was told Tyesha was a great kid with great size. It was said Tyesha reached down and picked up a basketball with one hand and passed it across the court. She has huge hands. And she's a big body. I'd say she goes 200 lbs., maybe more. My source also said she rebounds and goes to the paint with authority. Unlike our graduated transfer post from UT, no more falling down after a shot or a rebound when an opposing player puts a body on her.

Then you look at Tyesha's less than stellar career statistically at NMSU. I'm thinking she had some injuries, but I didn't ask. All in all, my insider source seemed pleased that Tyesha is a Lady Buff. With the transfers Tiana Parker, 6'3, and Tyesha Taylor, 6'5 and returners CeCe Wooten and Madison Parker, both had great summers and are ready for great senior seasons, I'm hoping freshman post signee, Abbie Spurgin, 6'2, can get a RS year. Keep an eye on Megan Gamble, the 5'7" soph from North Dakota State. She's a true point guard who has great vision and passing ability. She loves to push the ball (why she left NDSU) and has a better outside shot than Sasha did. Also keep an eye on transfer Delayah Harris. She has the ability to shoot the 3 and go to the glass. She's a winner. I was told Lexy had a good summer and should return improved and ready to play at a higher level. I gather this new crew will be good enough to take some pressure off Lexy. It was mentioned several times that last year's team (Sasha and Lexy exepted) was just too slow. It's believed that has been rectified. Oh, yeah, we may get another point guard transfer before the final day of registration ends.

When you look at the roster, it's almost a new team. Once all are on the same page, the Lady Buffs, IMO, are going to be pretty damn good. Pretty damn good.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 08-30-2017 at 07:54 PM.

You gals already conceding football season is going to suck in Canyon and are talking thump-thump?

Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    You gals already conceding football season is going to suck in Canyon and are talking thump-thump?

No. We can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    IMHO football will be better than projected. Been to a few of the practices, this is a whole new game.
    We will win games we shouldn't simply because we outwork the other team.
    I think we will be around a .500 team. Due to a lack of depth injuries will be key.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    I visited with some WT's insiders recently. When the conversation turned to Tyesha, I was told Tyesha was a great kid with great size. It was said Tyesha reached down and picked up a basketball with one hand and passed it across the court. She has huge hands. And she's a big body. I'd say she goes 200 lbs., maybe more. My source also said she rebounds and goes to the paint with authority. Unlike our graduated transfer post from UT, no more falling down after a shot or a rebound when an opposing player puts a body on her.

Then you look at Tyesha's less than stellar career statistically at NMSU. I'm thinking she had some injuries, but I didn't ask. All in all, my insider source seemed pleased that Tyesha is a Lady Buff. With the transfers Tiana Parker, 6'3, and Tyesha Taylor, 6'5 and returners CeCe Wooten and Madison Parker, both had great summers and are ready for great senior seasons, I'm hoping freshman post signee, Abbie Spurgin, 6'2, can get a RS year. Keep an eye on Megan Gamble, the 5'7" soph from North Dakota State. She's a true point guard who has great vision and passing ability. She loves to push the ball (why she left NDSU) and has a better outside shot than Sasha did. Also keep an eye on transfer Delayah Harris. She has the ability to shoot the 3 and go to the glass. She's a winner. I was told Lexy had a good summer and should return improved and ready to play at a higher level. I gather this new crew will be good enough to take some pressure off Lexy. It was mentioned several times that last year's team (Sasha and Lexy exepted) was just too slow. It's believed that has been rectified. Oh, yeah, we may get another point guard transfer before the final day of registration ends.

When you look at the roster, it's almost a new team. Once all are on the same page, the Lady Buffs, IMO, are going to be pretty damn good. Pretty damn good.
    I went by Tuesday to watch. All I can say is WoW---just WoW. More talent than I have seen on the court in a long time. This is going to be fun.
    Alot of size---most impressed with Abbie
    Last edited by Great White Buffalo; 09-27-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
    I went by Tuesday to watch. All I can say is WoW---just WoW. More talent than I have seen on the court in a long time. This is going to be fun.
    Alot of size---most impressed with Abbie
    Yeah. I kept bugging Coach about maybe being able to redshirt freshman Abbie Spurgin this year because of the great depth at post. After watching Spurgin play, I told Coach to disregard my suggestion to redshirt Abbie. She already had. Ha! I said there is no way you can not keep her off of the floor. 6'2, probably 180, quick as heck with great post moves off of the block. Once she gets into the system and understands what is what, she's going to be a very, very good post. With 5 quality posts, a lot of good things can happen around them.

You're right about the talent. Were I Kristen, I'd be scheming to go to a two platoon team. Put two evenly balanced teams together (there ain't much drop off between the 2nd most talented player on the team and the 12th. Very little. Two teams playing 5 minutes a quarter. By the middle of the 3rd quarter, you start running teams into the ground. Just grinding them into the court. Lexi had a great workout the last day I watched. She was unstoppable, hitting treys, penetrating off the dribble for a mid-range swisher, or taking it to the glass for a couple of incredible finishes. She has definitely stepped up her game from last year. Kristen successfully addressed the "we were slow last year" problem.

I revisited last year. The Lady Buff's ave scoring was 72 a game and they gave up 58 a game. I predict this years team will increase their offense by at least 5 points per game and the defense will decrease points allowed by 5 ppg. 77 to 53. If that happens, we could well see an NC finalist again.

You're right, this is gonna be fun!!!

Wt was bigger than everyone last year too, thats not why they didnt win the conference. Im only going off a few games i saw in portales though.

WT only played one game in Portales last year. WT won that game 62-52. If you look back at their season, they had two early conference losses (ENMU and TWU). Had a horrible road trip in late January where the lost to TSU and Commerce. After that, they righted the ship and had a good run. Lost a close game at Angelo at the end of conference play and lost to Angelo in the LSC semi-finals. WT then won the Regionals. Ended the season in the Elite 8 against the #1 see Ashland who I believe won the title.

WT was a slow team last year on both ends of the floor. I bet you will see more team speed this year.

In the spirit of being fair and balanced, WT has been the Regional finals 4 consecutives years if my senior memory is working this morning. Have won 3 of these games Their season has ended the last two years with losses to the eventual national champion. That is a pretty good track record for any program.

Quote Originally Posted by Boohaha View Post
    Wt was bigger than everyone last year too, thats not why they didnt win the conference. Im only going off a few games i saw in portales though.

ENM women will have a hard time replacing assistant coach/excellent recruiter Jennifer Brock (maiden name) former WT 4 year starting PG. She's the one who recruited last year's team.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 09-28-2017 at 10:07 AM.

ENM women will have a hard time replacing assistant coach/excellent recruiter Jennifer Brock (main name) former WT 4 year starting PG. She's the one who recruited last year's team.
    Where did Brock go?

Quote Originally Posted by WT_ALUM08 View Post
    Where did Brock go?
    She married an administrator at ENM. He got a job at Texas Tech. I'm not sure what she's doing this fall. Maybe someone else on here knows if she's coaching HS or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayman View Post
    WT only played one game in Portales last year. WT won that game 62-52. If you look back at their season, they had two early conference losses (ENMU and TWU). Had a horrible road trip in late January where the lost to TSU and Commerce. After that, they righted the ship and had a good run. Lost a close game at Angelo at the end of conference play and lost to Angelo in the LSC semi-finals. WT then won the Regionals. Ended the season in the Elite 8 against the #1 see Ashland who I believe won the title.

WT was a slow team last year on both ends of the floor. I bet you will see more team speed this year.

In the spirit of being fair and balanced, WT has been the Regional finals 4 consecutives years if my senior memory is working this morning. Have won 3 of these games Their season has ended the last two years with losses to the eventual national champion. That is a pretty good track record for any program.
    Like i was saying im just going off of what i saw in portales. If they are faster this year then watch out.

ENM women will have a hard time replacing assistant coach/excellent recruiter Jennifer Brock (maiden name) former WT 4 year starting PG. She's the one who recruited last year's team.
    I think Prock (josh) is a pretty good coach as well, there might not be as big a drop off as folks think. Im interested in seeing how the mens team does for year 2.

Like i was saying im just going off of what i saw in portales. If they are faster this year then watch out.
    I have been to some preseason work-outs---we are much faster than last year and deeper.
    This looks to be a very talented team. The issue will be getting everyone on the same page.

I watched practice yesterday. I continue to be impressed with our post position. The 6'4/5 transfer from NMSU is a force. She will not be moved easily off of the block. She finishes on the block, and yesterday stepped out and hit two from the free throw line. Throw in returning starter 6'2 CeCe Wooten, 6'4 Tiana Parker (East Tennessee State transfer), returning Madison Parker (who will play the 4 this year instead of being pressed into the 5 spot), and 6'3 freshman Abby Spurgin, and we're going to dominate many teams inside. I'm thinking all the way back to Bob Schneider days to when we had as good of talent at the 5 spot And more depth than Bob ever had.

I could go on and on, but, I haven't been as excited about a pre-season WT team in a long, long, long time. The "problem" is, we have so many new players, Coach is spending all her time teaching all the newcomers the scheme, the culture, and working to get everybody playing together. When it begins to click, well, watch the freakin' hell out!!!

Right now, I'd say the top three teams in the region will be WT, Pueblo, and LCU.

I watched practice yesterday. I continue to be impressed with our post position. The 6'4/5 transfer from NMSU is a force. She will not be moved easily off of the block. She finishes on the block, and yesterday stepped out and hit two from the free throw line. Throw in returning starter 6'2 CeCe Wooten, 6'4 Tiana Parker (East Tennessee State transfer), returning Madison Parker (who will play the 4 this year instead of being pressed into the 5 spot), and 6'3 freshman Abby Spurgin, and we're going to dominate many teams inside. I'm thinking all the way back to Bob Schneider days to when we had as good of talent at the 5 spot And more depth than Bob ever had.

I could go on and on, but, I haven't been as excited about a pre-season WT team in a long, long, long time. The "problem" is, we have so many new players, Coach is spending all her time teaching all the newcomers the scheme, the culture, and working to get everybody playing together. When it begins to click, well, watch the freakin' hell out!!!

Right now, I'd say the top three teams in the region will be WT, Pueblo, and LCU.
    Bob would usually start out the year with pretty good depth but by mid-season, he would be down to 7 or 8 girls and have to recruit his daughter to suit up and sit on the bench, just in case.

LCU???

Quote Originally Posted by WTAMU1975 View Post
    LCU???
    They'll be picked to win the Heartland IMO. I heard LCU added a few players that are good. Tarletan, Commerce, Angelo, Eastern, and Kingsville will be in the mix as well. Plus Mesa, St. Mary's and a few of the other usual suspects in the region.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast