Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Calu wbb 2017-18

Contribute to D2

Default Calu wbb 2017-18

Don't know if it's significant but @CALUofPAWBB tweeted welcome to the school year to only two players... Bianca Jasper (5'6" PG Middletown Pa) and Taylin Tyler (6'0" F Obama Acad) this week which seems unusually low for the program. May be others not mentioned or may be effort to balance the past two classes but it worries me just a bit because replacing MIKI, LANA, PRECIOUS and BRITTANY is a big task even for the VULCAN WBB machine. Time will tell.

Default Re: Calu wbb 2017-18

For sure not what I expected. This concerns me too.

I probably shouldn't follow twitter. It's a little scary when 1of 2 recruits (Tyler) tweets " I WANNA GO HOME !!!" just 3 days into her college year. Hoping for a punch line.😕

Oh great. But then, way back in the late '60s, I felt the same way after the first week. Kids nowadays are different. We stuck it out for 4 years....Today, so many transfer 3 to 4 times before they are out. After 3 whole days is silly, though.

Can't say if it's related to the homesickness, but the latest tweet from @_Taylinnnnn "Gotta get surgery again" does not sound good. Hope the incoming class has more depth than it appears.

Oh swell. That's not what one wants to hear. She may turn out to be one of those who spends her career on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedoggie View Post
    Oh swell. That's not what one wants to hear. She may turn out to be one of those who spends her career on the bench.
    Or, best case scenario, she turns into another # 42 KAYLA SMITH who played her entire career with some serious knee hardware. What a force she was.

Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Or, best case scenario, she turns into another # 42 KAYLA SMITH who played her entire career with some serious knee hardware. What a force she was.
    If only a wish like that would come true! Didn't Kayla get injured in her first preseason game? I believe she sat the rest of her freshmen year. The next year she made immediate impact, and began a great career. IMO, she was a once in a lifetime player on par with Brooque Williams, Kaitlyn Fratz and Miki Glenn.

If only a wish like that would come true! Didn't Kayla get injured in her first preseason game? I believe she sat the rest of her freshmen year. The next year she made immediate impact, and began a great career. IMO, she was a once in a lifetime player on par with Brooque Williams, Kaitlyn Fratz and Miki Glenn.
    What might have been if #42 and #11 hadn't had to endure 3 COACHES IN 3 YEARS. Vincent '07-08 27-7/ Kearney 08-09 29-5/ Swasey 09-10 24-8 !!! Two ELITE 8 appearances. So glad that COACH JESS has elected to stay put...so far.

10. Default Re: Calu wbb 2017-18

I think the thing that I immediately recall when I hear the name Kayla Smith is not what a great player she was or the crazy powerful build she had--- but rather how many times she would kick the ball back out to her guards. Amazingly selfless player who obviously cared more about winning than personal glory or stats. That kind of stands out to me.

-

Coaches must just love players announcing injuries on Twitter. Different era, I suppose.

I think the West is going to be wild this year on the women's side. Along with IUP and Cal, Mercyhurst and Edinboro return a ton of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    I think the thing that I immediately recall when I hear the name Kayla Smith is not what a great player she was or the crazy powerful build she had--- but rather how many times she would kick the ball back out to her guards. Amazingly selfless player who obviously cared more about winning than personal glory or stats. That kind of stands out to me.

-
    She played the position I always wished I had the height and build to play...power forward. Rebound, play D, feed the shooters and get your points off the boards and at the free throw line. Actually the position has largely disappeared from the men's game as well. Freak that he was, Dennis Rodman is the last true PF I recall. #42 was definitely a joy to watch.
    Interestingly the bigs that COACH STROM has had lately have been more racehorse than workhorse, with speed and the ability to move with the ball, rather than grinders. Which seems to have worked out and is why she's the coach. And I'm not.

Good point. Think back to the late 90s and early 00s ... guys like IUP's Dennis Mimms and Cal's Ra-Shaun Roberts ... those were power forwards. I even see Tony Richardson and the big center at Seton Hill as being the end of an era to the old PSAC West big man. Teams are playing faster and recruiting post players who can shoot the three. The post players in that era were like 6'8" defensive ends. Some scary dudes.

14. Default Re: Calu wbb 2017-18

Yup, you guys are right. The game has changed a lot. It seems like the classic position of center in basketball has all but vanished. Think about all the legendary bangers in NBA history---Wilt the Stilt, Kareem, Bill Russell, The Big Chief Robert Parrish, Shaq, et al. The list could go on and on. It may be a lot of years before we ever see the likes of them again.

It's a completely different game now it seems. Multiple guards who can run and gun. Smaller and faster and quicker lineups. Usually four guard types and someone who can rebound a bit but usually not a traditional banger in the paint in the historic sense.

Take a look at how Joe Lombardi changed his personnel philosophy the last four or five years to better counter what West Liberty was doing.

My niece is a big power forward in the fifth grade now. I do wonder what the game will be like for her in the coming years. Will she have a place in it or will her type be completely phased out by the time she reaches varsity level?

-

Yup, you guys are right. The game has changed a lot. It seems like the classic position of center in basketball has all but vanished. Think about all the legendary bangers in NBA history---Wilt the Stilt, Kareem, Bill Russell, The Big Chief Robert Parrish, Shaq, et al. The list could go on and on. It may be a lot of years before we ever see the likes of them again.

It's a completely different game now it seems. Multiple guards who can run and gun. Smaller and faster and quicker lineups. Usually four guard types and someone who can rebound a bit but usually not a traditional banger in the paint in the historic sense.

Take a look at how Joe Lombardi changed his personnel philosophy the last four or five years to better counter what West Liberty was doing.

My niece is a big power forward in the fifth grade now. I do wonder what the game will be like for her in the coming years. Will she have a place in it or will her type be completely phased out by the time she reaches varsity level?

-
    It's a bit odd that the old maxim "You can't teach tall" isn't really relevant any longer. Even if you're a nice 6'6"-6'9" player, unless you can handle the ball in the open and step out for a 3 regularly, you won't see much PT. Not unlike the singles hitter in MLB. Sad but true. I'm too damn old.

An odd update on this years VULCANS WBB roster. No, I don't have names or other details, but two photos on twitter ( one with the team around the STANLEY CUP,) showed this years team of 15 players. After graduation in May, there were 11 returnees which means that COACH JESS has added 4 which includes Bianca Jasper and Taylin Tyler. No names but one appears to be at least as tall as Seairra Barrett. Do wish that Sports Information could be more forthcoming. More as it happens.

An odd update on this years VULCANS WBB roster. No, I don't have names or other details, but two photos on twitter ( one with the team around the STANLEY CUP,) showed this years team of 15 players. After graduation in May, there were 11 returnees which means that COACH JESS has added 4 which includes Bianca Jasper and Taylin Tyler. No names but one appears to be at least as tall as Seairra Barrett. Do wish that Sports Information could be more forthcoming. More as it happens.
    Because I don't do Twitter, I can't see it. Even so, it sounds like JESS has added more than Jasper and Tyler...and that's what I was hoping for. Thanks for the update!

Because I don't do Twitter, I can't see it. Even so, it sounds like JESS has added more than Jasper and Tyler...and that's what I was hoping for. Thanks for the update!
    Interesting, but not huge update. Though she is in the team photo, SEAIRRA BARRETT is not on the VB roster now. Guess the two sport experiment is over, which is fine with me. SB is going to be the focus of the team this year as a 4 year veteran and 3 year starter and I hope the weapons exist around her to get the most of her talent. 14-15..7.1ppg, 15-16..13.9 ppg, 16-17..18.6 ppg. ABBEY SPORIO isn't MIKI GLENN , but if she can cut down on her TO, will do just fine especially with her speed. With SEAIRRA, ABBEY and SHATARA PARSONS as the base, it will be quite a battle for the other two starting spots and #6. Really looking forward to it.

19. Default Re: Calu wbb 2017-18

How do you guys see your Cal Lady Vulcans matching up against the IUP gals this year? IUP brings back the entire team IIRC. Glenn is a big loss as was evidenced in the PSAC title game last year.

-

How do you guys see your Cal Lady Vulcans matching up against the IUP gals this year? IUP brings back the entire team IIRC. Glenn is a big loss as was evidenced in the PSAC title game last year.

-
    Every Jess Strom team will be competitive. Last year we lost GLENN and LANA DOREN and had to throw several players with nominal playing time into the fire. I thought they played well and were not overwhelmed by the circumstances. With that experience and time in practice, I expect 3 of the players will have a big impact. VALLECORSA, COOPER, SUCKLING, HAHN and JENNINGS will all be given every opportunity to fill the shoes of MIKI, LANA ,PRECIOUS and BRITTANY. We know the recruits TYLER will likely be redshirted and JASPER as a PG will see minimal PT. There are two other players apparently added to the team but no details are available which likely means they are not that significant. The VULCAN WBB program has been nothing if not consistent and, barring injury, they should be in the mix both in the very competitive PSAC and just as tough ATLANTIC REGION. Time will tell.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast