Thread: The Final Great Alaska Shootout

Contribute to D2

Default The Final Great Alaska Shootout

Sad news coming from way up north. The tournament was always a great watch when you woke up from the tryptophan-induced Thanksgiving nap.

http://www.goseawolves.com/ViewArtic...CLID=211663104

Default Re: The Final Great Alaska Shootout

Quote Originally Posted by SGAstumpJ View Post
    Sad news coming from way up north. The tournament was always a great watch when you woke up from the tryptophan-induced Thanksgiving nap.

http://www.goseawolves.com/ViewArtic...CLID=211663104
    Sports in the 21st century isn't very appealing -- zillion dollar college coaches (Dabo Swinney just signed for $6.7M a year); rivalries dying so people can join far-flung leagues, and now the Shootout bids goodbye.

Sports -- pro and college -- is losing me fast.

It used to be that you could not play a game in the contiguous states until after Thanksgiving weekend. This gave rise to the Shootout and the tournament at Chaminade. The big name teams and revenues from ESPN made the Shootout a financial success. When that rule got set aside the Shootout lost the better teams when ESPN dropped the Shootout as they no longer wanted to pay the necessary freight for UAA to compete financially. UAA has been trying to keep the patient alive since that time, but the lack of funds has forced them to pull the plug. Probably a good time to move on, as the Shootout had become a shadow of its prior self. Hope that they can come up with a creative alternative.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Loved the Shootout- thoroughly enjoyed my time in Anchorage in 1994 when the Gophers won it. Saw so many things that I otherwise wouldn't have. Sad to see it go.

Sports seem to becoming more and more corporate everyday- D1 colleges are so much like the pros.

The article says that the Shootout lost close to a half a million dollars just last year. That's a lot of dough!!! Most small college athletic programs don't spend that kind of money for all of their sports combined.

Usually I'm all for athletics, but someone was asleep at the wheel to let this kind of hemorrhaging of cash to continue once the Shootout was clearly a thing of the past.

A nice article:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/col...169628577.html

It explains why ESPN is no longer the sponsor - they have created 6 of their own tourneys. Greedy ba$tards.