Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: UW-Parkside banned from post-season 2017-18

Default UW-Parkside banned from post-season 2017-18

2. Default Re: UW-Parkside banned from post-season 2017-18

That is what happens when you beat the darlings.

Default Re: UW-Parkside banned from post-season 2017-18

I wondered how long it would take for some genius to start that.

It started because they self-reported a violation...don't be a moron.

A Violation? There originally were 16 self reported violations and UWP dismissed a few. Basically, every team is ineligible for any post season play for this season. That was a lengthy report. You can say goodbye to UWP ever thinking about going D1. What KWC did was NOTHING compared to the number of violations and the high quality of the athletes for UWP that are in question. Thanks for posting!

The NCAA statement would not exclude two of the violations that UWP wanted excluded. The NCAA is in charge now. See what happens to UWP after the full NCAA investigation. The NCAA already had UWP on their radar before this was self reported. They had to report them or leave the NCAA.
    Last edited by alumnifan; 08-23-2017 at 09:15 AM.

UWP's entire Athletic Department is on probation in the GLVC. The President's Council were not happy with the report. They may very well lose membership status in the GLVC.

Quote Originally Posted by alumnifan View Post
    A Violation? There originally were 16 self reported violations and UWP dismissed a few. Basically, every team is ineligible for any post season play for this season. That was a lengthy report. You can say goodbye to UWP ever thinking​ about going D1. What KWC did was NOTHING compared to the number of violations and the high quality of the athletes for UWP that are in question. Thanks for posting!

The NCAA statement would not exclude two of the violations that UWP wanted excluded. The NCAA is in charge now. See what happens to UWP after the full NCAA investigation. The NCAA already had UWP on their radar before this was self reported. They had to report them or leave the NCAA.
    That's not correct. They self-reported a single violation about a wrestler who was competing even though he wasn't a full-time student. The NCAA gave that student a financial hardship waiver which negated that violation, but upon further review by the GLVC they found out the student in question was actually in his 5th season of competition. Once they found that out, they recommended further investigation and found the rest of them.

Sounds like lack of institutional control to me.

Wonder if their student-athletes will be free to transfer within the conference immediately without having to sit a year...

Don't you think the GLVC notified the NCAA?The NCAA told the GLVC what to do. The statement only said the teams are banned for all post season play.

However, the athletes know everything about what is going on. UWP should let any student athlete to transfer now.

10. Default Re: UW-Parkside banned from post-season 2017-18

Guess there wasn't any accountability at uwp.....lol.

Don't you think the GLVC notified the NCAA?The NCAA told the GLVC what to do. The statement only said the teams are banned for all post season play.
    Or, it could be a conspiracy against Parkside, led by USI and NKU.

Quote Originally Posted by DUPanther View Post
    Or, it could be a conspiracy against Parkside, led by USI and NKU.
    Who also colluded with Russia.

USI and NKEEW pressured the GLVC to sanction KWC over possibly two players who contributed very little to KWC. It was a clerical error. UWP maybe facing a near Athletic Disaster and they knew exactly what they were doing.

Would someone who knows tell us what they actually did?

15. Default Re: UW-Parkside banned from post-season 2017-18

Maybe KWC reported them as this will make it easier for KWC to make the NCAA tournaments in basketball and baseball. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmoves View Post
    Would someone who knows tell us what they actually did?
    It's in the article on the GLVC and Parkside website. Numerous secondary violations that led to ineligible players competing in 11 of their 13 sports. Doesn't sound intentional (if it is NCAA will pile on later ). If not, must've been their compliance guy didn't know what the he** he was doing.

The article on the UWP site is emphatic that they were only secondary violations that the NCAA already investigated. It sounds like UWP thinks the NCAA has already done their investigation and was giving no sanctions of its own. The sanctions are from the GLVC, not the NCAA. The violations occurred in 11 of the 13 sports teams which tells me that UWP needs a new compliance officer even if they were only minor violations.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightStalker View Post
    The article on the UWP site is emphatic that they were only secondary violations that the NCAA already investigated. It sounds like UWP thinks the NCAA has already done their investigation and was giving no sanctions of its own. The sanctions are from the GLVC, not the NCAA. The violations occurred in 11 of the 13 sports teams which tells me that UWP needs a new compliance officer even if they were only minor violations.
    Too many sports at a school with small budget. The compliance guy full time gig is probably something else. Jimnaum mad they going to gliac next year.

From what I read the NCAA has not even begun investigating. How hard is it to know when a basketball player has played five years of college basketball? How hard is it when you have a D2 wrestler who is ranked 2nd in his weight class nationally, but says he couldn't afford to attend full time? Read the very First link on this thread and read the links from the article.
    Last edited by alumnifan; 08-23-2017 at 10:24 PM.

From what I read the NCAA has not even begun investigating. How hard is it to know when a basketball player has played five years of college basketball? How hard is it when you have a D2 wrestler who is ranked 2nd in his weight class nationally, but says he couldn't afford to attend full time? Read the very First link on this thread and read the links from the article.
    I posted the article - I have read it.

When you're talking about a high school kid that has been at your school his entire career it shouldn't be difficult. But some of that stuff can get complicated when you're talking about a transfer student. I know of basketball players that have come into the GLVC and they're on their 3rd of 4th school. Accurately determining eligibility can require tracking down information from multiple sources and then having a good enough understanding of NCAA rules to be able to apply it all correctly. That's what compliance people are for...I notice that the UWP athletics website doesn't list a compliance person. Either they didn't have one full time (which I thought was a requirement in D2) or he/she has already been shown the door.

Also, the wrestler who couldn't afford to attend full time, the NCAA said was legit. It says right in the article timeline the NCAA approved a financial hardship waiver for that.

I do think it's a crock that the league made the ban department wide. There are two programs there who had no violations who now can't compete in the post-season. That would be pretty hard to swallow if I was one of those coaches or athletes in those programs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast