Thread: GV V Indy....Tips for a visitor?

Northville, MI (after over 35 yrs in Midland, MI)
    Contribute to D2

Default GV V Indy....Tips for a visitor?

OK. we're less than 2 weeks away from kicking off the season.
    I've not visited Indy.... How's the parking? Is it tougher for Thursday night games? (I figure classes may be in session.)
    TG pretty nice or meh? And are tixs for visitors no issue? Can't see much from UofI web site.

TIA

Default Re: GV V Indy....Tips for a visitor?

Quote Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
    OK. we're less than 2 weeks away from kicking off the season.
    I've not visited Indy.... How's the parking? Is it tougher for Thursday night games? (I figure classes may be in session.)
    TG pretty nice or meh? And are tixs for visitors no issue? Can't see much from UofI web site.
    TIA
    I'm lucky to make it to a home U Indy game each year so better check back for comments from Hound of Sackerville or Hound Dog. I'd say it's compact. And I always buy tix at the "gate" (they just have a table set up) because know they'll oversell and they don't care if people have to stand. I had to stand more than once for Hillsdale games so there's that. Assume Grand Valley will be same. Home side stadium 50 years old and visitors the size of a jr high seating. Students take their time showing up and end up sitting in the aisles! Not much room for tailgating either but their fans always show up for it. It's more jumping on game days than the GLIACs I've been to short of allendale. More jumping than Ashland but not the space for it like others have.

If it's a 7:00 game, you will be staring into the sun for a bit. We parked south of the field to tailgate in parking lot...it was a hot one for us so we baked under the late summer sun on black pavement.

Thanks guys. I see the lot south of the field. I hope it's open, if not, I hope parking is at lease somewhere near on campus.

RW:

Park in the lot south of the stadium, there are usually spaces closer to Hanna Avenue available for visiting fans. Most UIndy parents park in the rows closest to scoreboard. I'd anticipate the lot being close to full at least an hour before kickoff. There's a gravel lot just east of State street that many visiting fans park RV's and often tailgate in. It's a good, friendly, tailgate atmosphere. If this game were a Saturday at 6:00 pm I'd expect 10k plus. As someone mentioned they'll sell as many tickets as they can and have SRO as they did for Hillsdale and Marian games from past couple of years.

Suggestion: get there at least two hours before kickoff.....$10 to park in lot in south end zone. Immediately go buy your tickets (may not sell them until 1.0-1.5 hours before kickoff) it's always been very easy and user friendly. Don't wait until right before kickoff otherwise you will wait.

I think they'll have a great turnout for this game. Go Hounds!

If needed for a big turnout: Parking west of the fieldhouse (where Ashland tailgates) and south of the big health pavilion that sits south across from the stadium. Also some parking on the corner northwest of the dome next to the auxiliary field (where I saw some Hillsdale folk park). Had a down season last year and playing a lot of underclassmen this year so I'd think the crowds will be down a little this year. Go Hounds

Thanks again for the suggestions. I mostly understand the parking options. However, were the suggestions taken in the context of this being a Thursday game when, I suspect, classes are in session? So, the typical parking spots are not available????

At GV, they kick out the cars that are in the TG lots, so recently it's not been an issue for the fans.. the students get the shaft. I remember for one of the first Thursday opening games, GV took the other option and shuttled people in from other locations (HS, Grocery lots, etc) but they dropped that method.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
    Thanks again for the suggestions. I mostly understand the parking options. However, were the suggestions taken in the context of this being a Thursday game when, I suspect, classes are in session? So, the typical parking spots are not available????

At GV, they kick out the cars that are in the TG lots, so recently it's not been an issue for the fans.. the students get the shaft. I remember for one of the first Thursday opening games, GV took the other option and shuttled people in from other locations (HS, Grocery lots, etc) but they dropped that method.
    oh, good question. checked and they are in session that being their first week. could get tricky. and past what I know about. maybe contact the GVSU Ath Dept for their U Indy info?

I've talked to the Athletic Department and they are hoping to have the South Lot cleared and open by 4:30pm, if not sooner.