Thread: Shane Maynard?

Contribute to D2

Default Shane Maynard?

It is being reported that former Topper great Shane Maynard has passed away. No specifics provided but if true, it is a tragedy.

Default Re: Shane Maynard?

Can't find anything on this Boat. However, a young man named Shane Maynard died in Missouri this summer. Wonder if there is some confusion here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsnut View Post
    Can't find anything on this Boat. However, a young man named Shane Maynard died in Missouri this summer. Wonder if there is some confusion here?
    I saw that too. I asked the orig poster for more details but he hasn't replied. Beginning to believe (hope) that our Shane Maybard is still with us.

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    I saw that too. I asked the orig poster for more details but he hasn't replied. Beginning to believe (hope) that our Shane Maybard is still with us.
    Obit listed in Boca Raton funeral home. No details. Looked in Palm Beach post and Beckley paper. Nothing. So sad 31 yrs old. Just started/bought versatility basketball academy less than 2 months ago.

Obit listed in Boca Raton funeral home. No details. Looked in Palm Beach post and Beckley paper. Nothing. So sad 31 yrs old. Just started/bought versatility basketball academy less than 2 months ago.

Quattlebaum funeral home Boca Raton FL. See legacy.com

7. Default Re: Shane Maynard?

What in the world happened to him? Sorry to hear about his passing.

Out of deferance to the family, WLU is not making a public statement. But the entire athletic dept is in total shock and struck with grief. There are many on the hilltop who played with Shane, were his friends and had numerous classes with him.

When you think about it Shane was the first "typical WLU guy"...unselfish, high motor and could shoot the lights out. Crutch coached the players about what he wanted but Shane was the first to "be the example" about what he was talking about. He set the example for all players that followed him about what it ment to play "WLU style" basketball.

Out of deferance to the family, WLU is not making a public statement. But the entire athletic dept is in total shock and struck with grief. There are many on the hilltop who played with Shane, were his friends and had numerous classes with him.

When you think about it Shane was the first "typical WLU guy"...unselfish, high motor and could shoot the lights out. Crutch coached the players about what he wanted but Shane was the first to "be the example" about what he was talking about. He set the example for all players that followed him about what it ment to play "WLU style" basketball.
    It took Seger until the last 2 or 3 games of his career to surpass Shane's scoring mark. I wonder if a highlight tribute could be assembled, if the old game tapes are still around. From what little I have read about his academy, It had words like "position-less" basketball, etc. I wonder if he was evangelizing the style he learned on the hilltop.
    Very sad.

I think that Shane was the first "Crutch" recruit that actually turned things around from the dismal 4 win season and WL basketball was started. There were 4 or 5 freshmen recruits and Cory McDuffie that jumped started the program.

99% sure it was unfortunately a suicide, just never know anymore with that kind of thing

Quote Originally Posted by Layton View Post
    99% sure it was unfortunately a suicide, just never know anymore with that kind of thing
    It was. Unfortunate.