Thread: GLVC 2017 Preseason Poll

Blog Entries
    Contribute to D2

Default GLVC 2017 Preseason Poll

1. Southwest Baptist (48 points, 6 first-place votes)
    2. Truman State (41 points, 2 first-place votes)
    3. McKendree (36 points)
    4. Indianapolis (35 points)
    5. Missouri S&T (22 points)
    6. Quincy (21 points)
    7. William Jewell (11 points)
    8. Lincoln (10 points)

--via GLVCsports.com--

INDIANAPOLIS – The Great Lakes Valley Conference (GLVC) football coaches have picked Southwest Baptist University to win the GLVC Championship this fall, it was announced Friday at the sixth-annual GLVC Football Kickoff in Lebanon, Illinois.

After conference records of 1-7 and 3-5 in the 2014 and 2015 seasons, respectively, the Bearcats flipped the script and earned a share of their first-ever GLVC Championship with a 7-1 mark in league play with a 10-2 mark overall. SBU totaled 48 points for the top spot in the poll, including six of the eight first-place votes. Under the direction of third-year head man Robert Clardy, who was voted GLVC Coach of the Year by his peers, set 28 different school records during their historic 2016 season. Alongside the records and GLVC title, the Bearcats earned their first-ever national and regional rankings, and advanced to the NCAA Division II Playoffs for the first time in program history. SBU returns 17 starters, including nine All-GLVC honorees and reigning GLVC Offensive Player of the Year, junior quarterback T.J. Edwards.

Truman State University has been picked to finish second in the league in 2017, following an 8-3 season in which its 7-1 conference mark earned the Bulldogs their first-ever share of the GLVC Championship. Truman recorded 41 points in the poll, including the final two first-place votes. Gregg Nesbitt returns for his eighth year as head coach, and will guide a Truman squad that returns 14 starters, including six on offensive, seven on defense and one on special teams. Sophomore quarterback Jaden Barr will return under center after earning GLVC Freshman of the Year and second-team All-Conferene accolades last year. The defense will be paced by five All-GLVC returnees, including reigning first-team selections sophomore lineman Sam Reeves and senior linebacker Ben Wellman.

McKendree University is picked to finish third this season, having garnered 36 points in the preseason poll. The Bearcats finished the campaign 8-3 last year, including 6-2 for third place in league action. McKendree won its final five games of the 2016 season, marking the second time in three years that the Bearcats put together a five-game win streak to close a season. Fifth-year head coach Mike Babcock returns 18 starters, including nine on offense, seven on defense, and two on special teams. His squad set a program record with 53 quarterback sacks in 2016, eight of which belonged to first-team All-GLVC lineman and returning senior Tobias Cook. Two of the four starting defenders lost to graduation including two of the last three GLVC Defensive Players of the Year in A.J. Wentland (2016) and Lucky Baar (2014), who also became the NCAA career sacks leader last year.

The University of Indianapolis is slated to finish fourth this year as the Greyhounds accumulated 35 points in the poll. UIndy was fourth in the GLVC a year ago with a 6-5 record and 5-3 mark in conference play. The four-time GLVC Champions return 14 starters this year, including first-team All-Conference running back Andrew Walker, who enters his final season with 2,671 career rushing yards – 1,140 markers shy of the school record. Bob Bartolomeo returns for his eighth season at the helm of the Greyhounds with a 58-23 record.

Missouri S&T earned 22 points to edged out Quincy University’s 21 points to finish fifth in the poll. The Miners, who are coached by fifth-year head man Tyler Fenwick, were 5-6 overall and 4-4 in league play last year. Junior Braxton Graham is back as the reigning GLVC Special Teams Player of the Year, having also earned first-team All-GLVC recognition at both wide receiver and kick returner last year. Quincy returns 16 starters to a 5-6 ballclub that finished 3-5 in league play. The Hawks finished sixth in the 2016 standings and will now look to improve upon that position under interim head coach Gary Bass.

Closing out the poll in the No. 7 position is William Jewell College (1-9, 1-7), which garnered 11 points overall and is mentored by third-year head man Shawn Weigel. The Cardinals were one marker better than No. 8 Lincoln University (2-9, 0-8), now under the direction of first-year head coach Steven A. Smith.

The 2017 season begins on Thursday, August 31, with six schools in action, including Indianapolis hosting Grand Valley State and William Jewell welcoming South Dakota Mines. McKendree (Angelo State), Quincy (Midwestern State), Southwest Baptist (Eastern New Mexico) and Truman State (Michigan Tech) will all open on the road. On Saturday, Sept. 2, Lincoln is on the road facing Langston and Missouri S&T hosts West Florida.

2. Default Re: GLVC 2017 Preseason Poll

I wouldn't have picked them any other way myself for a pre season poll. I feel that MCK should be a very balanced complete team that could win the conference. I think a lot depends on the O-line play.

Default Re: GLVC 2017 Preseason Poll

Quote Originally Posted by MCK_YouKnow View Post
    I wouldn't have picked them any other way myself for a pre season poll. I feel that MCK should be a very balanced complete team that could win the conference. I think a lot depends on the O-line play.
    I think it will be a really interesting year with a lot of parity at the top. SBU returns quite a bit, but Truman does also. While SBU had the "favorable" schedule last year, Truman seems to get the edge with that this year, with home games against SBU and MCK and road games against WJC and LU.

I understand why UIndy was picked where they were. When it's all said and done if they can survive the non-conference games without any injuries in certain spots they'll be in the hunt at the end for the conference title. Non-conference schedule is a monster w/ GVSU & HC at home and WSU on the road. 7 home games should help as well. Go Hounds.

U Indy Schedule: U Indy coming off a sub average season in the GLVC. Grand Valley and Wayner are on the upswing with running games. Hillsdale finally looks back on track vs U Indy last year. Even NDC is a no slouch out of conference game for a young U Indy team. U Indy replacing half their OLs, DBs and LBs?? They'll need an aggressive D from the start and need to find some studs for the OL. With all the young ones they'll be playing we'll find out how they've recruited the last three years. I'm rooting for them. GO HOUNDS

6. Default Re: GLVC 2017 Preseason Poll

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Madsen View Post
    I think it will be a really interesting year with a lot of parity at the top. SBU returns quite a bit, but Truman does also. While SBU had the "favorable" schedule last year, Truman seems to get the edge with that this year, with home games against SBU and MCK and road games against WJC and LU.
    Making it even more interesting will be an in-season rematch between Truman and SBU! They will play each other twice to make up for the loss of St. Joe's from the conference.

Truman would be my preseason pick....still believe the Hounds will be there in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by TSUBulldogDad View Post
    Making it even more interesting will be an in-season rematch between Truman and SBU! They will play each other twice to make up for the loss of St. Joe's from the conference.
    That's 100% correct. The Oct. 7 game in Kirksville will count towards the official GLVC standings. The Nov. 4 game (also in Kirksville) will be designated as a "non-conference" game between the teams.

Quote Originally Posted by HoundDog View Post
    Truman would be my preseason pick....still believe the Hounds will be there in the end.

I'm going with St. Joseph's to win the Conference. You guys convinced me after all these years what a great program it is. LMAO!!................WORD

10. Default Re: GLVC 2017 Preseason Poll

Quote Originally Posted by wordman View Post
    I'm going with St. Joseph's to win the Conference. You guys convinced me after all these years what a great program it is. LMAO!!................WORD
    Saint Joe College unfortunately had to "close their doors" after 125 plus years. So don't think they'll win any conference next year.

11. Default Re: GLVC 2017 Preseason Poll

Total Homer Alert - I'm taking UIndy to win the Conference. If they can stay healthy through their difficult non-conference schedule, everything else should line up in their favor. They get SWB and Truman at home, they had both those teams on the ropes late in the 4th quarter last year on the road. UIndy is rolling out a much needed new offense with a new OC. Talent wise on Offense, they may be better at every position group. Defense will be good to very good... D-Line is extremely strong, LB's are young and don't have a lot of depth, however, the guys on top are serious ball players, key here will be health. I've seen the DBs playing much more aggressively than in years past and there has been a lot of competition within that group. There is a completely different feel with this team compared to last year... Going 6-5 may have been the wake-up call they needed. The players seem very focused and hungry to get back on top. No matter what, it's great to see the GLVC becoming more competitive, that should help all their teams.

12. Default Re: GLVC 2017 Preseason Poll

Quote Originally Posted by Regit View Post
    Total Homer Alert - I'm taking UIndy to win the Conference. If they can stay healthy through their difficult non-conference schedule, everything else should line up in their favor. They get SWB and Truman at home, they had both those teams on the ropes late in the 4th quarter last year on the road. UIndy is rolling out a much needed new offense with a new OC. Talent wise on Offense, they may be better at every position group. Defense will be good to very good... D-Line is extremely strong, LB's are young and don't have a lot of depth, however, the guys on top are serious ball players, key here will be health. I've seen the DBs playing much more aggressively than in years past and there has been a lot of competition within that group. There is a completely different feel with this team compared to last year... Going 6-5 may have been the wake-up call they needed. The players seem very focused and hungry to get back on top. No matter what, it's great to see the GLVC becoming more competitive, that should help all their teams.
    Thanks for the run down! I think Grand Valley being super loaded and Wayne State with the premier running game will help toughen U Indy. Hillsdale on the up too. I only would say U Indy looks younger than you realize - I see 15 to 20 seniors but a lot of inexperience throughout as far as playing time. so the young guys would need to produce right away. Agree about taking care of the conference if they stay healthy. Beat two of the three GLIACs on their schedule (I'm counting Hillsdale just one year out of the GLIAC) and they are having a good season as well as the conference championship would fall in place for them.

13. Default Re: GLVC 2017 Preseason Poll

Quote Originally Posted by michiganfb View Post
    Thanks for the run down! I think Grand Valley being super loaded and Wayne State with the premier running game will help toughen U Indy. Hillsdale on the up too. I only would say U Indy looks younger than you realize - I see 15 to 20 seniors but a lot of inexperience throughout as far as playing time. so the young guys would need to produce right away. Agree about taking care of the conference if they stay healthy. Beat two of the three GLIACs on their schedule (I'm counting Hillsdale just one year out of the GLIAC) and they are having a good season as well as the conference championship would fall in place for them.

No doubt the young guys will have to play well to have a good season. The main issue I saw last year was their offense, and to be honest the problem was more from a scheme/coaching standpoint than a talent one. Seemed like we were trying to fit the players into system instead of using the type of talent we had in the best ways. Not to mention we were one of the most predictable offenses I've seen at this level. The new OC coach Gillin has put together a much different look which I think will showcase our talent a little more. With that said I don't expect them to come out vs. Grand Valley and set the world on fire offensively, I'm sure they will struggle early in the season, but they are definitely on the right path. Offense is bringing back 8 starters - Defense bringing back 6. The 2 inside LB's (#42 & #28) will be the group to watch on Defense, if they play well the D could be very good.

14. Default Re: GLVC 2017 Preseason Poll

Just wondering if anyone wants to revise their list after week 1?

15. Default Re: GLVC 2017 Preseason Poll

Close game. I am glad I made the trip. Think how different it might have been if Indy had open admissions like GVSU and could recruit just anyone? Sucks having a liberal arts curriculum where all athletes have to take math, religion, science, convocation, etc. #openadmissions

16. Default Re: GLVC 2017 Preseason Poll

Quote Originally Posted by Dappling View Post
    Close game. I am glad I made the trip. Think how different it might have been if Indy had open admissions like GVSU and could recruit just anyone? Sucks having a liberal arts curriculum where all athletes have to take math, religion, science, convocation, etc. #openadmissions
    Since when does it suck to have good academics? Your priorities are really messed up.................word

17. Default Re: GLVC 2017 Preseason Poll

UIndy Greyhounds still turning heads and gonna jump up the polls again this week. Road warriors today to bring down their second consecutive decent GLIAC team. Fist bump to Wayne State Warriors HC Winters with a very nice squad this year. UIndy HC Bart with the answer for everything Wayne St did though.